• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

Ever since I started using the DMR/AR/Thruster combo, I've felt pretty much unstoppable in game. K/D is actually rising back to 2.0 overall (sitting at 1.9something at the moment)

This is the only Halo game where the AR has been a viable option.

Ever since I started using the DMR/AR/Thruster combo, I've felt pretty much unstoppable in game. K/D is actually rising back to 2.0 overall (sitting at 1.9something at the moment)

The AR was a GREAT secondary to the DMR in Reach.

FyreWulff

AR's been viable since Reach. BURST FIRE

ps I've now gold starred 600 songs in Blitz oh god

Is it just me or does the Boltshot render the Scattershot absolutely pointless? It's more accurate at longer range, and more consistent.

343i need to increase the 'bounce' or 'ricochet' of the flak so that it could be fired around corners or some such, otherwise it stands as a redundant, worthless piece of shit. I am tired of nailing people at short-range with the fucking thing and having them shrug it off, only to be killed at BR distance by some dude carrying one 5 minutes later.

Why risk using a scattershot when I can spawn with a weapon that I know will always kill from a specific range?

I'm not sure I'd call the scattershot entirely pointless next to the bolt shot.

Personally, I have enjoyed a pretty good success rate with the Scattershot by utilising it differently than the shotgun and bolt shot. Both the Shotgun/Boltshot rely heavily on the 1 shot kill. Getting the range down pat, hitting once, and then melee if required to finish... if you miss, you are vulnerable. They are great for multiple kills, but only provided you catch the enemy unaware/they are baited, and you have time to reload/charge/pump between kills.

The scattershot on the other hand is best used as a spam cannon. It sports better range than both the shotgun and bolt shot, but does less damage. You can still use it as a 1 shot weapon, but you have to be more or less inside the enemy... and you are definitely disadvantaged compared to Shotgun/Boltshot. However, you can smash out 5 shots VERY quickly, it ricochets (albeit mildly), it obscures vision, and with the range advantage you can smash the trigger even if someone jumps back/turns and runs... and still score the kill.

It is, for me, one of the shortest to use weapons, simply because I crack through the ammo extremely quickly. It doesn't change the fact that the Bolt Shot is pretty much OP, but I still think the Scattershot is designed for a different purpose than the shotgun was. Less precision, more spam.

I'm not sure I'd call the scattershot entirely pointless next to the bolt shot.

Personally, I have enjoyed a pretty good success rate with the Scattershot by utilising it differently than the shotgun and bolt shot. Both the Shotgun/Boltshot rely heavily on the 1 shot kill. Getting the range down pat, hitting once, and then melee if required to finish... if you miss, you are vulnerable. They are great for multiple kills, but only provided you catch the enemy unaware/they are baited, and you have time to reload/charge/pump between kills.

The scattershot on the other hand is best used as a spam cannon. It sports better range than both the shotgun and bolt shot, but does less damage. You can still use it as a 1 shot weapon, but you have to be more or less inside the enemy... and you are definitely disadvantaged compared to Shotgun/Boltshot. However, you can smash out 5 shots VERY quickly, it ricochets (albeit mildly), it obscures vision, and with the range advantage you can smash the trigger even if someone jumps back/turns and runs... and still score the kill.

It is, for me, one of the shortest to use weapons, simply because I crack through the ammo extremely quickly. It doesn't change the fact that the Bolt Shot is pretty much OP, but I still think the Scattershot is designed for a different purpose than the shotgun was. Less precision, more spam.

I see what you're saying, I just think it comes down to the same issue as dual-wielding in Halo 2... it's a spray-and-pray weapon, which means skill is out the window and you're just praying your pellets land while the other dude is busting out DMR shots.

Personally I find it ineffective, and it annoys me that it comes up in ordinance drops three times more often than the shotgun.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Halo 2 MLG was fun to watch. Halo 3 MLG was "hey let's try to make Halo 2", okay, but was still mostly Halo 3. MLG Reach just took a sharp turn off the road and barely resembled the game it's based on. Now the single person (again) that's in charge of the gametypes for MLG is trying to make the game like Halo 2. Again.

Justifying this with sales numbers from a banned site, and sales numbers from a Halo game currently in it's long tail (Halo 3 has now been on the market for 5 whole years, Reach 2, and Halo 4 has had an entire 2 months), does not qualify as a solid reason for justifying what you're doing. That entire sales paragraph just seems like a fanboyish tangent.

There was a reason MLG was better in the Halo 1 and 2 days, and that's because when you saw pro gamers playing them, they were good at Halo. Now they're just good at MLG. And we're more than likely getting Halo 2 with Durango this year, which means they will LITERALLY have Halo 2 to play with again. Why keep trying converting other games into it?

Because the other games suck.

I'm really glad they are going to try and keep MLG close to classic halo MLG - should be a lot of fun

I've been maining Hologram/LightRifle/Suppressor with Stability and Hardlight Shield/LightRifle/Suppressor with Dexterity myself. Whoever mentioned Hardlight Shield as a Boltshot counter is brilliant; not only does it stop the shots, it literally deflects them like most other Hardlight slag. In a game of Regicide the other night I was fighting the king who got a Kingtacular mid-battle and rounded a corner with a charged Boltshot; I just barely whipped out my shield causing the blast to ricochet into himself, draining his shields and letting a teammate headshot him while I handled an enemy off in the distance.

FyreWulff

I'm really glad they are going to try and keep MLG close to classic halo MLG - should be a lot of fun

Then just use those games! If they're going to pull out sales charts, why not just use the damn game? Apparently their justification is more people bought Halo 3, so why not just use Halo 3?

Then just use those games! If they're going to pull out sales charts, why not just use the damn game? Apparently their justification is more people bought Halo 3, so why not just use Halo 3?

Because you dont practice chops on a older game. You only do that with the newest iteration...

I'm fine with them providing a classic-themed playlist for competitive junkies, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that a public playlist based on those settings would do (or have done) anything to curb the cratering population numbers.

Halo's gameplay need not exist in a time-warp where Halo 2 is the standard. It also need not exist in the COD penis-envy driven nightmare that is Halo 4. This is a middle-ground in there somewhere that would actually appeal - I think - to a pretty large audience.

There's a whole bunch of people out there who don't want to play another CoD clone but also don't want to play a game from 2004... again.

Overdoziz

Banned
MLG has tried including the bullshit 343 and Bungie have thrown at them and it never sticks. Why do people want MLG to keep the game as close to vanilla as possible anyway? Go play Infinity Slayer if you love that so much.

Moa

MLG has tried including the bullshit 343 and Bungie have thrown at them and it never sticks. Why do people want MLG to keep the game as close to vanilla as possible anyway? Go play Infinity Slayer if you love that so much.

To attract as many new players as possible into the competitive scene.
It is a good decision by them to try and bring in new players, just you know, vanilla Halo 4 can't be played competitively like on the scale of Starcraft II for example.

Casual players dont even play Halo 4. They all left for Blops II, per the population charts.

The only people that are left are mediocre halo canon fans who dont like casual or competitive gametypes. They enjoy things like Flood, Invasion, and filling bars.

I think are going to be pretty surprised at how low the pop. will be in the eventual classic playlist.

No crap, its going to be about 5-10% of the 100k left playing Halo 4.

--

To get the #'s back they need to MAKE A GOOD GAME. Halo 4 is below par, its unacceptable there are too many things wrong with it to be considered a good game. Regardless of IGN giving it a 9.8. It barely creates any moments of fun.

In other news Blops has more players playing Zombies at any given time than Halo 4 has in all playlists at peak hours....

Holy fuck Hire me.

Moa

In other news Blops has more players playing Zombies at any given time than Halo 4 has in all playlists at peak hours....

Holy fuck Hire me.

Black Ops 2 tracks how many players simply online, in the lobby & online in games.
Halo 4 tracks people actively searching & playing games online.

They can't exactly be compared, but there is no doubt Black Ops 2 is a lot higher.

Omni

The AR was a GREAT secondary to the DMR in Reach.

AR's been viable since Reach. BURST FIRE

ps I've now gold starred 600 songs in Blitz oh god
Eh, I guess I just overlooked it then. I could never kill anyone with it in Reach unless they were really bad (plus DMRs were abundant anyway)

Halo 3 is so nice to look at. I love the cleanliness of everything.

Moa

u7cxP.png

Akai__

I just got invited to an Nvidia party.

So what are you losers doing tonight?

I was invited by AMD at their pre-event, some days ago, but I will not spend 600€ for a flight, just for an event like this, which you can also watch on a live stream.

Edit: If I had still hollidays and AMD was going to pay the flight, then I would probably go, because I was never in Las Vegas and the CES is also pretty interesting.

Moa

New playlist goes up. My phone buzzes, Gamesager went live. Kid doesnt even have a license.

Don't even think Gamesager attempted to play Regicide, you know, the only playlist that would have been a challenge for him to get points in.

Havok

Is this all campaign challenges are going to be anymore? "Complete a level on X difficulty +/- X, Y, and Z skulls" again and again and again, each week going to the next campaign level, with an accompanying skull-based challenge that can be done on any level and Heroic or higher? Ten weeks in a row of the same style. Should have seen it coming when campaign commendations got the axe, but these are just kinda devoid of creativity.

I also wonder if the constant pushing for players to use automatic weapons via challenges is intentional on 343's part to bring their usage more in line with the other weapons. Frankly, I can't say I'm glad they're encouraging matchmaking randoms, inevitably placed on my team, to be even more useless than usual.

Factor in instant respawn + the fact that your multikills don't reset upon death and this actually becomes plausible.

Id consider myself a slightly above average player. No hope of me rocking 12 in one game, unless it glitches and counts 2 matches likes always. Alot of poeple wont be getting that challenge.

Also im with Havok, the Campaign challenges are so uninspired

Anyone watching the speedrun and hearing this guys laugh?? God damn thats a funny ass, completely fucked up laugh...

willow ve

Anyone on here actually play Halo 4 anymore? I haven't touched it since the week before Christmas and I honestly don't feel the pull to get it back out and play again. Maybe the upcoming DLC and/or Title Update will give me a reason to try again, but for now there simply isn't anything pulling me away from other games I got over the holiday season.

kylej

Banned
yeah there are some interesting characters there for sure. Yesterday someone was walking around in a dracula cape. Shit ruled.

Bummed that Stivity lost his run early on to Mr. Vile. He had good pace going. A BK 100% WR run w/ live Cosmo commentary wouldve been insane

Anyone on here actually play Halo 4 anymore? I haven't touched it since the week before Christmas and I honestly don't feel the pull to get it back out and play again. Maybe the upcoming DLC and/or Title Update will give me a reason to try again, but for now there simply isn't anything pulling me away from other games I got over the holiday season.

I do here and there. A big issue is that it has the potential to be entertaining with friends, but everyone's too busy not being online and posting about how they have nobody to play with.

Also, totally out of left field, but I got some stuff together last night and finally finished my collab with Sai from that contest for a while back. He did the mechanical percussion and sample arrangement, I did the synth and acoustic percussion + wubwubs.

Fuchsdh

Plenty of people, obviously.

Shame Harvest isn't in BTB. It works in 4v4 but makes the vehicle routes pointless for Warthogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom