• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

malfcn

A timely release bulletin? I always have a hard time finding them. Are they always under "headlines" because I can scroll on the main news page and never see them.

TCKaos

egv8Z.png

The Light at the End of the Tunnel.

But again, I'll reserve all judgement for the actual TU.

The anti-ability or disable enemy ability is a good solid addition, if possible please have that make the cut for a TU or Halo 5 in some form.
Worst idea ever imho. You force your preferred playstyle upon other players, which defeats the entire purpose of AAs and loadouts. While I'm sure thats what many in HaloGAF want, it'd be better to trash the system entirely than to put an anti-AA as some kind of fix.

Really curious about the TU though. Wondering if anything will be done to the weapon balance, DMR and Boltshot in particular. Its also way too easy to snapshot a binary rifle.

So it was essentially a well written statement from Frank, and...nothing else.

Ok.
It was a roadmap, including some dates. Pretty much what I had expected. Didn't expect the Fanky mea culpa, FFA or Forge stuff though. That was extra good stuff and sets a good tone moving forward.

I'm sure TU stuff and playlist info won't get any more details until they're ready to drop.

A very nice bulletin, I think it was a very good way to start the year, hopeful things will get better. I can't wait for Team Doubles, in seems like years since the last time I played doubles...

Btw, orochinagis, if you are here, you're not alone anymore...

PS: Hi, everybody. (*back to lurking*)

Kid can't even read!

An apology.

It wasnt much lol. They told us expected dates of three playlists.

And specilization unlocks that shouldn't even have been in Halo in the first place.

And that a TU is Coming Soon™

Then he got mad when Blissful asked about a ranking system...

Peanuts.

TCKaos

So it was essentially a well written statement from Frank, and...nothing else.

Ok.

A well written statement that essentially apologizes to us almost specifically and shows that they're putting in more effort to make sure that we enjoy our experience.

TU, small maps, new locations in SpOps, forge playlists, more playlists. Grifball. FFA. Snipers.

But again, let's wait until we get all of this to come to conclusions about the actual content itself. While I really want to think this is the light at the end of the tunnel (like I posted just last page), I'm going to need to actually get my hands on this to judge.

blamite

Good Bulletin. Good info with little fluff, that's what we need more of.

On the other hand now that we got the month's playlist updates early there probably won't be much to talk about for the next few weeks. :lol

wwm0nkey

That bulletin could have given you some people that truck and people still wouldn't have been happy. I thought it was a great update and told us when to expect stuff, now we just wait to hear how big the TU is and hopefully we will hear about the rank system soon.

Worst idea ever imho. You force your preferred playstyle upon other players, which defeats the entire purpose of AAs and loadouts. While I'm sure thats what many in HaloGAF want, it'd be better to trash the system entirely than to put an anti-AA as some kind of fix.

Really curious about the TU though. Wondering if anything will be done to the weapon balance, DMR and Boltshot in particular. Its also way too easy to snapshot a binary rifle.

AA's are a polarising topic that is best fit for playlists over all in or all removed. Playlists that have AA's in loadouts should have the anti-AA, it's perfect for that sandbox setting. If you're talking about pickups or MLG style AA's then I agree no anti-AA should exist.

I disagree with the Reach haters about no AA's at all. I like the added layer. I found myself rocking only jetpack or sprint in Reach and basically just Camo in Halo 4.

Regarding the Halo 4 sniper or binary I find them easy to snapshot with as well. Although I've always been better at no scopes or no scope body shot with switch weapon for the kill over long range sniping.

What does it mean?
FFA return?

The tone in that text was just rude. Also there is more to Frankie's Chill than just that calming word. To me that is a hint that patience is rewarded for that feature.

mhi

Excited for the Forge hopper. Cautiously optimistic about the small maps DLC.

Ohh and more Ragnarok in BTB please.

Playlists that have AA's in loadouts should have the anti-AA, it's perfect for that sandbox setting.
But an anti-AA would only be used by people that don't like AAs to purposefully negate that game feature from those who use AAs. Not only is it wildly imbalanced, it only leads to disappointed players.

Just have playlists without AAs and loadouts. Or try them as pickups or ordnance. But an Anti-AA seems to me to be worst possible solution.

Ryaaan14

Banned
A well written statement that essentially apologizes to us almost specifically and shows that they're putting in more effort to make sure that we enjoy our experience.

TU, small maps, new locations in SpOps, forge playlists, more playlists. Grifball. FFA. Snipers.

But again, let's wait until we get all of this to come to conclusions about the actual content itself. While I really want to think this is the light at the end of the tunnel (like I posted just last page), I'm going to need to actually get my hands on this to judge.

To me it wasn't as much of an apology as much as it was an incredibly belated acknowledgement. Which is fine, really.

As for the rest, announcements of stuff we knew, or stuff that we expected at least.

idk, I think Halo 4 is a good game but the hype isn't there for me with these updates. They're no BWUs from like 2007-2009.

But an anti-AA would only be used by people that don't like AAs to purposefully negate that game feature from those who use AAs. Not only is it wildly imbalanced, it only leads to disappointed players.

Just have playlists without AAs and loadouts. Or try them as pickups or ordnance. But an Anti-AA seems to me to be worst possible solution.

I can think of lots of objective scenarios where this would be great e.g. Reach we used the drop shield to arm the bomb and then leave grenades in there. I could literally come up with dozens of these that aren't just to take away an AA because I don't like them.

An anti-AA would be the perfect temporary counter to regen, HLS, drop shield and more. It could also take the place of stickies in loadouts for vehicle EMP for example. You're just not thinking in terms of the AA sandbox.

Streaming some Halo 2 if anybody wants to watch
http://www.twitch.tv/fabalon

Thanks, that was the first full stream I have watched. What a mission Delta Halo is. It has everything Halo was ever great at!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
An apology.

It wasnt much lol. They told us expected dates of three playlists.

And specilization unlocks that shouldn't even have been in Halo in the first place.

And that a TU is Coming Soon™

Peanuts.

Did I? Salted peanuts.

GrizzNKev

Banned
That was a really nice read to come home to after walking in very cold rain for almost an hour.

There was hope in Frank's words.

As much as I feel Halo 4 wasn't the game I wanted, I can't abandon my attachment to the universe or toss out my investment in it. I said before the game came out that I wanted to keep loving Halo while also loving whatever new thing Bungie does. I still hope that future is out there, and I'm anticipating it.

It won't happen within the confines of Halo 4 though, that I am sure of. I think 343 knows that too.

You're just not thinking in terms of the AA sandbox.
I think I am. Each AA has its own way to circumvent or weaken it through gameplay or has inherent risks in its usage. Pressing a button to make any of them entirely useless seems woefully imbalanced to me. And it goes against the entire spirit of customizing a spartan with AAs and loadouts in the first place.

It only leads to player disappointment because you haven't outplayed an opponent that uses an AA, you've specifically hit a button and negated a playstyle they chose to bring into the game.

Just seems so counter-productive. It puts players who prefer there not be AAs at an advantage specifically in AA enabled playlists. Just remove them entirely if thats what goes for a fix.

I can't think of a more annoying Armor Ability to have to deal with than an anti-AA.

Are you telling me that in Reach for example if you cancelled an Armour Locker and then simply wiped the floor with them you wouldn't have enjoyed that?

I think I am. Each AA has its own way to circumvent or weaken it through gameplay or has inherent risks in its usage. Pressing a button to make any of them entirely useless seems woefully imbalanced to me. And it goes against the entire spirit of customizing a spartan with AAs and loadouts in the first place.

It only leads to player disappointment because you haven't outplayed an opponent that uses an AA, you've specifically hit a button and negated a playstyle they chose to bring into the game.

Just seems so counter-productive.

That's just it you have the risk/reward in say terms of range, take the mod weapon we've seen that it shoots traits for example. Give it a limited radius and firing range. All of a sudden it's not some magic button to use. You also have traded any other AA ability in place of this. So you don't get jetpack flying, no camo sneeking, no support from regen etc etc.

For example the bubble easily shows by colour distinction where, when, what trajectory etc. Now imagine a jetpacker would simply be out of range or easily change vector to take cover. The HLS would have a direct counter, as would have armour lock from Reach. A regen shield if you're on your own and the enemy team of 2 or 3 are there then you now have a counter to that for your team. The objective drop shield or chained drop shields you now have a localised counter to that as well. It's all in the implementation. I guess I'm more open to those sorts of things.

Ryaaan14

Banned
This is one thing that sticks out as a problem, to me.

bs angel said:
I believe we need to work harder to get you information. We communicate through Bulletins, blog articles, social media channels and our forums. While that may sound like a lot, there are still numerous people asking questions about information that is already out there.

It's not how many places you communicate, it's the stuff you touch on. Consolidation of relevant information, address everything in the updates instead of making people search. Talk about real issues and updates instead of padding updates with longer words and recapping things from the past.

The great things about BWUs were the little nuggets of info we got. Even if it was a bad update, there would usually be a tease in there to get us excited about something and start speculating.

u4iX

Just seems so counter-productive.

Make pulse grenades drain AA meter instead of doing damage.

Pop

Bulletin told us what we knew already, just gave us some loose dates. Nothing is changing anytime soon, I don't know how you guys can be so excited. I mean, I'm optimistic of what could become of halo but as of now my feelings toward it is still the same.

No mention of skill ranks or the classic playlists that was promised to us.

Meh

Did I? Salted peanuts.

I don't think so. I have been along with the others killing this game but you still come in here and take our shit when you don't have to. I thought that was a great update and I am not going to nitpick it like I am a somebody.

I do want to hear about ranks, is it happening or not and especially about a classic or pro playlist since it was taken down citing improvements to it as I recall. It looks as if these things either for technical or other reasons might be part of the TU.

GrizzNKev

Banned
This is one thing that sticks out as a problem, to me.

It's not how many places you communicate, it's the stuff you touch on. Consolidation of relevant information, address everything in the updates instead of making people search. Talk about real issues and updates instead of padding updates with longer words and recapping things from the past.

The great things about BWUs were the little nuggets of info we got. Even if it was a bad update, there would usually be a tease in there to get us excited about something and start speculating.

Agreed on this. It's not because I can't find information, it's that the information I want to hear doesn't exist or has been held back for some reason, and thus I don't feel compelled to continue reading. I'm not conditioned to be excited when I see a bulletin, and I should be excited to read it if they want me reading it.

At least she acknowledged her writing style isn't exactly... I don't know the word I'm looking for but I think you get what I'm trying to say.

matthieuC

I'm crossing my fingers for a sprint toggle in gametype settings when the TU lands. I guess other stuff has much more of a priority, but it's something I really miss from Reach.

Good update.

wwm0nkey

Bulletin told us what we knew already, just gave us some loose dates. Nothing is changing anytime soon, I don't know how you guys can be so excited. I mean, I'm optimistic of what could become of halo but as of now my feelings toward it is still the same.

No mention of skill ranks or the classic playlists that was promised to us.

Meh

Wait so you knew that the next DLC would have 2 small maps and a medium map, the exact weeks of the new playlists and that specializations will be unlocked for everyone by the end of the month. Damn I didn't know all that!

On a non- me being an ass note you should never expect instant gratification, its clear 343 is working and we will hear about more soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom