• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Is anyone up for some Normal/Heroic Firefight? I need the achievables for Last Exit and Security Zone. I got to about 69,255 on Last Exit just now.

I'd rather have Invasion

And have matches become a 15 minute K/D boost fest when the first offensive team didn't get past the first objective? No thanks. At least in Dominion, when a team is destroying the other, the quicker it ends. And if any competent team with communication stayed in the bases on Boneyard and Spire defending the core all with shotguns, that was match. Your team quitting on you while the other team surrounded the spawn was great as well.

Tawpgun

Beta invasion was more fun because the elites were useful.

They also needed to get rid of that load out with shotguns/swords in it, especially for the defenders

heckfu

Banned
Beta invasion was more fun because the elites were useful.

They also needed to get rid of that load out with shotguns/swords in it, especially for the defenders

Invasion Boneyard? Let's give 6 players swords in a broom closet defending an objective!

Korosenai

My team lost by two kills
ovgsqPX.png
tR2Udek.png
fuuuuck

edit: Second game picture we lost by 7 kills. This game is terrible with the matchmaking tonight. The said thing is, in the second game, the kid that went 5-19 was an SR130.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
No I'm not. I want to reward players who are precise and punish those who aren't. I want to do this by making the DMR rely more on skill when it comes to long range fights, thereby increasing the skill gap associated with it. You do not. What's not to understand?

Look at the DMR's red reticle range on Haven. You don't think there's a problem with that?

Exactly. I'm surprised kyle even used this argument.

These are exactly my thoughts about the DMR, although I think it is also lacking in skill at medium range. Getting kills with it does not feel rewarding and encounters between skilled players largely come down to who gets the first shot as there is such a narrow skill gap, for me personally that it is just not fun at all. Thats not to say that the DMR should be made less consistent in any way, it should just be made more skilful by reducing aim assist and perhaps removing hitscan and also scrapping flinch to bring back descoping.

This applies to most weapons in Halo 4, pretty much everything is too easy to use even the sniper rifle which now has loads of aim assist. Play Halo 3 and then Halo 4 and compare the sniper rifle, it is way more skilful in Halo 3. The automatic weapons in Halo 4 are just absolutely ridiculous.

There are in my opinion definitely game breaking probems with the weapons but there are also many other major problems that make the game more random and less skilful such as ordnance, instant respawns, sprint, slow movement speed etc etc.

Question to anyone that has experience working with Halo PC/Custom Edition or whatever - is it possible to add in custom sounds, and if so is there any compression? For my sandbox project I'm actually making sounds for all the weapons, even the already-existing ones.

So far I think my favorite one to develop's been the Rocket Launcher - it's a mix of the heavy, clunky Anniversary sound but also has one of the scariest audio cues ever when locked on to someone. You can hear the rocket screaming at you like a firework.

Nowise10

I was actually joking about Dominion. Its like everything in Halo 4 has an easy opportunity to be fantastic, but then the designers who were working on it decided to just add one or two incredibly horrid additions.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I was actually joking about Dominion. Its like everything in Halo 4 has an easy opportunity to be fantastic, but then the designers who were working on it decided to just add one or two incredibly horrid additions.

Let's make a Promethean pistol.

Now let's make it stronger than a Shotgun!

Oh, and players can spawn with it.

TCKaos

Asymmetrical Dominion would have been the shit.

Karl2177

I knew I had some files on my Mac hard drive, but I wasn't sure if those files got backed up when it crashed. As I was going through one of my drives tonight, I noticed a folder called "MM stats". I knew exactly what was in them, and it might make this graph seem laughable.
zv7ujAw.png

At 4:45 PM on June 15th, 2009, Halo 3 had an estimated population of 165 684 players.

At 11:30 PM on June 19th, 2009, Halo 3 had an estimated population of 201 268 players.

On August 1st, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Social Slayer saw a higher population than Halo 4 saw at any given point yesterday.

Now someone, get me a site that will upload these files. Min.us wasn't letting me do it. Thanks CyReN.

August 2009: http://www.2shared.com/document/oIR1VWEl/August_MM_Stats.html
July 2009: http://www.2shared.com/document/DGkzFOxh/July_MM_Stats.html
June 2009: http://www.2shared.com/document/9nXWkMnI/June_MM_Stats.html

willow ve

I knew I had some files on my Mac hard drive, but I wasn't sure if those files got backed up when it crashed. As I was going through one of my drives tonight, I noticed a folder called "MM stats". I knew exactly what was in them, and it might make this graph seem laughable.
zv7ujAw.png

At 4:45 PM on June 15th, 2009, Halo 3 had an estimated population of 165 684 players.

At 11:30 PM on June 19th, 2009, Halo 3 had an estimated population of 201 268 players.

On August 1st, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Social Slayer saw a higher population than Halo 4 saw at any given point yesterday.

Now someone, get me a site that will upload these files. Min.us wasn't letting me do it. Thanks CyReN.

August 2009: http://www.2shared.com/document/oIR1VWEl/August_MM_Stats.html
July 2009: http://www.2shared.com/document/DGkzFOxh/July_MM_Stats.html
June 2009: http://www.2shared.com/document/9nXWkMnI/June_MM_Stats.html
That's depressing. Even accounting for the different way that starts were reported in Halo 3.

I wonder what it feels like to spend weeks and months iterating on a New multiplayer map. All the careful thought put into layout, cover, flow etc.

Then...
Jetpack.

Omni

I wonder what it feels like to spend weeks and months iterating on a New multiplayer map. All the careful thought put into layout, cover, flow etc.

Then...
Jetpack.
Because the people who design the maps have no idea that the jetpack exists?

rakka

ran out of live gold and was playing splitscreen as guest on the gf's account. found out that guests can't use mics in halo 4 at all.
In reach I could use a mic as a guest (aside from party chat but I prefer game chat so I can, you know, communicate with the team)

another thing on the list that shows 343 doesn't give a fuck about splitscreen players (and communication). combined with horrible framerates on abandon, complex (especially!), solace and pretty much every btb map, hard to see radar, lack of reticule scaling, tiny motherfucking allcaps killfeed/scoreboard text... makes it the least enjoyable halo in splitscreen matchmaking.

Tawpgun

ran out of live gold and was playing splitscreen as guest on the gf's account. found out that guests can't use mics in halo 4 at all.
In reach I could use a mic as a guest (aside from party chat but I prefer game chat so I can, you know, communicate with the team)

another thing on the list that shows 343 doesn't give a fuck about splitscreen players (and communication). combined with horrible framerates on abandon, complex (especially!), solace and pretty much every btb map, hard to see radar, lack of reticule scaling, tiny motherfucking allcaps killfeed/scoreboard text... makes it the least enjoyable halo in splitscreen matchmaking.

I wish we knew what didn't have time to be implemented vs what 343 deliberately cut.

Fuchsdh

I agree, definitely one of the better additions to multiplayer. Now it just needs some more fine tuning.. The whole capture/defend fortified bases can go a long way in this game, especially if people want to get creative with customs.

I think the biggest issue I have is that the power weapons spawn *in your base* on many maps like Exile. On maps like Meltdown, where they appear outside, the camping issue is less of a problem*

*Although Meltdown's binary rifle and incineration cannon fiesta causes its own problems.

The team vehicle lockdown mechanic is one of the purely best ideas to come by Halo multiplayer in a long time, though.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I hope so. Looking forward to that and the pax panel.

PAX Panel should be awesome. I'm actually really jealous of those who are making it.

Ok Kevin Franklin Resubmission of questions:

Rules:

1. I decide which of your questions I want to use
2. You can send me as many questions as you want
3. Questions like, "why did you ruin Halo?" or "Can you bring Halo back?" will be instantly thrown out.
4. YOU HAVE TO PM ME THE QUESTIONS. I will not look at any questions posted here. PM me the questions
5. PM me the questions you have for the Kevin Franklin interview
6. PM me the questions you have for the Kevin Franklin interview
7. PM me the questions you have for the Kevin Franklin interview

Topics of discussion:

-CSR (this will be a large focus of the interview) Just about anything and everything about CSR is acceptable
-Current playlists
-Gametypes during their development stages, protoypes. How the game has changed since early development.
-General future playlist directions
-Sandbox

Stuff you can't ask about:
-Castle Map Pack
-Future title updates
-Future feature additions

Also, the topics of discussion I posted above are guidelines but not hard rules. Keep that in mind.

I'll post another reminder tomorrow.

Ask away!

kylej

Banned
I'm not a moron so I'll refrain from asking "why did you kill Halo". My question is, why did he put two bullets in the body of Halo and leave it to die?

heckfu

Banned
I'm not a moron so I'll refrain from asking "why did you kill Halo". My question is, why did he put two bullets in the body of Halo and leave it to die?

Your question negates the part where you said the stuff about not being a moron, etc.

If mainline halo games start using subtitles, I'm out.

Halo 5 is immediately more succinct and recognizable than "HALO: THE QUEST FOR CORTANA" or some ol' bullsheeit

Top Bottom