• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

BigShow36

Halo can recapture the top shooter spot. Just gonna have to go all out in capturing the competitive/streaming crowd. Make an extremely customizable multiplayer suite with ease of setup, streaming capabilities, solid net code. That's the direction gaming is heading - social gaming - and Halo has plenty of the ingredients to make significant noise in that arena. Just lacking focus.

Streaming functionality isn't going to make a lick of difference for Halo's popularity (or any game for that matter). If Halo wants to regain the top spot it needs to become "fun" again. Fundamentally, it needs to speed up in ALL facets of gameplay and streamline the experience rather than further convolute it.

Frankie are you still reading? Why are we getting more big maps? Can you get in there and go yell at some people? Can you answer my PM?

Not enough bandwidth for small maps. Due to limitations and the original design of the engine, large maps actually take less processing power to create than small maps. However, you can view heatmaps of small maps on waypoint. Soon.

Danny 117

Very interested to see what's in store for the TU. I'm remaining pessimistic until it's released so I am not disappointed in the goods. Hoping for DMR nerf.

Madness

Give me your address, I'll bring the lube and wine.

"Hey! I don't go in for that sort of thing!"

00000012-5155.jpg

Xbox 3 rumors are looking baaaaaaaaad.

MS better announce this thing quickly

Fortunately, Kinect 2.0 (alone) will save the new xbox.

Right...

(It better have the same online services/features the PS4 have, or it may be the day I'll start to get used to the playstation controller layout once again. Halo 5/Forza 5, or new IP's (not Kinect only) better be amazing enough)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Think WoL did too. Although I dont even know enough to do build orders I just build stuff and lose. Campaign was fun though! Think I'll get HotS, but not sure. Whats it come with how many missions is it, is it like a full campaign or an expansion pack? Is there new training missions? I liked those. How many units does it add to each faction?

Oh did it? I bought WoL digitally. It's a whole new campaign, 20 missions I think. Not sure about training missions. There are like 3 or 4 new units for each race. Really cool for the most part. They also updated the AI you can practice against and also added an unranked mode.

http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/mlg-professional-video-games-engage-viewers-longer-than-super-bowl

Oh did it? I bought WoL digitally. It's a whole new campaign, 20 missions I think. Not sure about training missions. There are like 3 or 4 new units for each race. Really cool for the most part. They also updated the AI you can practice against and also added an unranked mode.

I just saw it was 40, I'll probably get it and try to get into Starcraft again once I'm done with Bioshock Infinite. Its so hard people are so good its daunting.

Things that would make me go back to Halo 4:

Xs - Check

Weapon rebalance - possible check?

Updated/new playlists - New playlists mostly weekly, though fixes often take much longer than one would think. Looking at you, Throwdown.
(Bring back a basic Halo style team slayer and call it just that.)

Assault - no word on this
(It's practically there already!)

Asymmetrical gametypes - no word on this
(Assault/CTF/Dominion could all benefit greatly)

New gametypes - No, using in game settings doesn't not warrant calling your variant a BRAND NEW GAMETYPE.

New forge map - hinted
(Yeah, a new forge map would make me go back just to make maps that no one would ever see. I just like making them.)

Custom game options - "People care about those?"*
(Put back everything taken out at least)

I have no expectations.

*Paraphrased from memory, but that's the impression I got.

Things that would make me go back to Halo 4:

Xs - Check

Weapon rebalance - possible check?

Updated/new playlists - New playlists mostly weekly, though fixes often take much longer than one would think. Looking at you, Throwdown.
(Bring back a basic Halo style team slayer and call it just that.)

Assault - no word on this
(It's practically there already!)

Asymmetrical gametypes - no word on this
(Assault/CTF/Dominion could all benefit greatly)

New gametypes - No, using in game settings doesn't not warrant calling your variant a BRAND NEW GAMETYPE.

New forge map - hinted
(Yeah, a new forge map would make me go back just to make maps that no one would ever see. I just like making them.)

Custom game options - "People care about those?"*
(Put back everything taken out at least)

I have no expectations.

*Paraphrased from memory, but that's the impression I got.

All of those should be there already. As for the weapon re-balancing, only the covy carbine needs a tweak imo. Ive got no issues with the rest of them.

Asymmetrical gametypes should have never been taken out to begin with, neither should the Xs or most of the custom options.

All things that were there before and for some reason were removed because of someones bright idea.

I find it hard to comprehend how it's come to a point where I have zero hype for a brand new Halo DLC map pack. I watched that IGN vid and, while it looked ok, the thought of several players running around with fuel rod cannons, binary rifles, sniper rifles, rockets, incineration cannons etc all at once in the inevitable Infinity only playlist made me huff.

Morbidly anticipating the achievement list though. 343 have been surprisingly resourceful and innovative when it comes to inventing test tube trolling horrors for achievements.

I just want my favorite gamemode back :(

Go play Halo 3 again. I played at a weekend and happily got mostly green bar games, with manageable latency. First game was Avalanche CTF and it's still absolutely brilliant. In the first few minutes a Hog got grenaded from near snipe propelling it into the man cannon, flying into the base. There were panicked rushes back to base to prevent a flag pull. Sniper headshots (replete with medal!) were rewarding because they're much harder to pull off. And the flag juggling. Oh the flag juggling, it was like MLG settings only in the regular Halo game!

Madness

At this point 343 should just drop the price of the season pass and possibly the crimson map pack, maybe even majestic.

What's the point of the new maps when the playlist has like sub 200 people at times.

Plus the playlist has dropped so low, you need something to bring people in. I played almost all day yesterday, I don't think more than 60k played at all. I tried to jump into spartan ops and each episode except the first on chapter 8 had around 160 people.

looooool. At almost any given point, Call of Duty had around 1% of the SC2 viewers.

Sortof, yet at any point 20,000-30k were watching it lol. Which is half of the people at any one time actually playing Halo.

So some numbers seem small like 1-2% but are big, and each little bit helps.

At this point 343 should just drop the price of the season pass and possibly the crimson map pack, maybe even majestic.

What's the point of the new maps when the playlist has like sub 200 people at times.

Plus the playlist has dropped so low, you need something to bring people in. I played almost all day yesterday, I don't think more than 60k played at all. I tried to jump into spartan ops and each episode except the first on chapter 8 had around 160 people.

Theyre not gonna drop the price yet. Too soon. Same with Gears 3, they did discount it, but a good few months in.

I havent played 4 since Majestic came out but I was getting a lot of Crimson maps in regular playlists. Moreso than Reach DLC anyways.

Ghazi

Definitely hit ne up when you get it. I'm gonna try to get good at HotS.

What did they end up deciding what HoTS became? (an expansion or a standalone title)

I still have WoL and I don't know where it is and I don't have it installed, so if it's an expansion I'm probably boned if I can't find my copy.

Top Bottom