• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Havok

What did they end up deciding what HoTS became? (an expansion or a standalone title)

I still have WoL and I don't know where it is and I don't have it installed, so if it's an expansion I'm probably boned if I can't find my copy.
It requires Wings of Liberty, as far as I know. But you just download the launcher from Blizzard and it'll install everything you need for both, I think, then you log in with your id once the game boots up. As long as WoL is tied to your account you should be fine.
Definitely hit me up when you get it. I'm gonna try to get good at HotS.
I've been trying to do the same the last week or so, but having played zero online matches ever (I'm playing on my roommate's bnet id so I'd like to at least try to be decent before inevitably being placed in Bronze), I've just been going against the AI in custom games. I can beat the Hard AI pretty regularly, though I have problems with TvT, but I just can't manage Hardest yet. My build orders are all over the place.

4r5m5SV.jpg

Played some ODST FF today, still an awesome experience.

I miss the invincible chieftains and the fear they cause.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It requires Wings of Liberty, as far as I know. But you just download the launcher and it'll install everything you need for both, I think.
I've been trying to do the same the last week or so, but having played zero online matches (I'm playing on my roommate's bnet id so I'd like to at least try to be decent before inevitably being placed in Bronze), I've just been going against the AI in custom games. I can beat the Hard AI pretty regularly, though I have problems with TvT, but I just can't manage Hardest yet. My build orders are all over the place.

Play unranked.

Also, I seriously doubt they would make WoL a requirement. It did however, just update my WoL client when I put the disc in. Very cool.

Madness

From Blizzard: "For the regions that have a standard box business model such as North America and Europe, yes, Wings of Liberty will be required in order to play Heart of the Swarm."

Havok

Play unranked.

Also, I seriously doubt they would make WoL a requirement. It did however, just update my WoL client when I put the disc in. Very cool.
From Blizzard's FAQ:
Will Heart of the Swarm require ownership of Wings of Liberty?

For the regions that have a standard box business model such as North America and Europe, yes, Wings of Liberty will be required in order to play Heart of the Swarm. Further details (and bundles that contain both games at a discount) can be found on the Heart of the Swarm product page.

I've considered doing unranked and that's definitely what I'll start off with, but really it's more anxiety in 1v1 situations than the ranking keeping me back. I couldn't play much Head to Head in Halo 2 for the same reason.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
From Blizzard's FAQ:

I've considered doing unranked and that's definitely what I'll start off with, but really it's more anxiety in 1v1 situations than the ranking keeping me back. I couldn't play much Head to Head in Halo 2 for the same reason.

Wow! That's shocking.

And yea I have the same issue. Way too stressful. Each match takes a lot out of me. I should try caring less but it's hard.

DeadNames

Banned
a) i don't think everyone feels that way
and b) if everyone has it then it's equally powered. THAT'S MATH.

I was just kinda wondering. My friend and I got into a little debate about it and was just curious about what people thought of it.

Edit: I'm looking forward to this forge update.

After three games featuring Forge I'm finding it difficult to garner any excitement from the prospect of further additions/refinements to it. Hopefully it's something radical, heaven knows Halo needs some sort of big ticket new feature.

Or, you know how the grifball community is always catered to (Sandbox crypt, Forge World and Erosion, all have a pre-built grifball arena ready to go), how about catering to the Midship community by giving a remake of the map its own little den to sit in at the back of a covie forge space?

Look at Heretic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFDW10npizQ

Salivate at its majesty.

What would 343i need to do to bring the population back to H4?

At this point I dont think its even possible.

-Ranks 1-50
-Patch the games MP/graphics reduced so it can run at 60fps solid locked not wavering
-Dedicated servers.
-Release a free 10 map, small map pack
-Sprint toggleable in options
-Movement momentum lessened.
-Drop Virgin Gaming

That might get it back to 200k daily peaks. Although you'd have to wait til the next Halo to really get everyone back and playing.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

-Ranks 1-50
-Patch the games MP/graphics reduced so it can run at 60fps solid locked not wavering
-Dedicated servers.
-Drop Virgin Gaming

That might get it back to 200k daily peaks. Although you'd have to wait til the next Halo to really get everyone back and playing.

I think this might work but if I may play devil's advocate for a second, what if people just aren't that into Halo anymore? What if 343 had made the game you mentioned instead as Halo 4 and we still saw this low population. Would people be saying "the population is low because 343 didn't change Halo enough?"

Could it also be that there are so many more choices today to play that people move on more quickly?

I don't have an answer, just curious.

-Ranks 1-50
-Dedicated servers.
-Drop Virgin Gaming

And you actually believe this? The only one in all of those that would help bring back some of the population is the 10 free maps and maybe the rank part. Maybe.

I think this might work but if I may play devil's advocate for a second, what if people just aren't that into Halo anymore? What if 343 had made the game you mentioned instead as Halo 4 and we still saw this low population. Would people be saying "the population is low because 343 didn't change Halo enough?"

Could it also be that there are so many more choices today to play that people move on more quickly?

Thats exactly what i believe. I think people just aren't into the Halos gameplay style anymore. Not to say it isn't good, but its not attracting the casual crowds like it used to before.

I personally never thought of halo as a slow paced game, but after i went back to halo3 for a bit, i was shocked to see how slow the game had become. I had trouble getting used to it again. I kept trying to sprint. Thats whats happening i think but to a much larger degree.

To use a quote from The dark Knight in regards to what COD has done: "But I know the truth: there's no going back. You've changed things... forever. "

Ghazi

From Blizzard: "For the regions that have a standard box business model such as North America and Europe, yes, Wings of Liberty will be required in order to play Heart of the Swarm."

It requires Wings of Liberty, as far as I know. But you just download the launcher from Blizzard and it'll install everything you need for both, I think, then you log in with your id once the game boots up. As long as WoL is tied to your account you should be fine.

Sweet, thanks guys. Now I wish I'd gotten a collectors edition HoTS copy like I did with WoL. I'll definitely pick it up and we can all become StarcraftGAF.

I've probably said this a bunch. MP hit 400k the game sold really well apparently. People like Halo, they hate bad games. Thats what Halo 4 is.

Thats my argument in this hypothetical, sure I could be wrong. Who knows!?

And you actually believe this? The only one in all of those that would help bring back some of the population is the 10 free maps and maybe the rank part. Maybe.

I think each one of those would attract a certain number of additional players back. Its not one thing that broke this camels back ya know? It was something you could foresee happening from 3 to Reach to 4. Each thing that is better gives the players one less reason to quit.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I've probably said this a bunch. MP hit 400k the game sold really well apparently. People like Halo, they hate bad games. Thats what Halo 4 is.

I think each one of those would attract a certain number of additional players back. Its not one thing that broke this camels back ya know? It was something you could foresee happening from 3 to Reach to 4.

I wish we could know. :(

Fuchsdh

From Blizzard's FAQ:

I know the feeling. I frankly didn't have the drive to improve beyond gold/low plat in 1v1 (I watched Day[9] for the humor, really.) I just enjoy team games so much more, and I think it tends to give me more impetus to play harder and try to help out my teammates.

Hopefully I'll have a beastly new rig for work and play come June, I'll prolly pick up HotS after that. I assume multiplayer will be great, campaign gameplay will be awesome and story will continue to scrap the depths Wings of Liberty dived to.

I wish we could know. :(

We're never going to know why Halo's lost population, honestly. I think people here in the camp of "it wasn't Halo enough" or "it tried to do both things and failed" have a point, but we can't run independent trials on the multiverse.

I really want Halo to skyrocket and take CoD's place in MLG, but I also want Halo 4 to serve as a guide for what NOT to do in Halo 5.

Fix'd.

A big portion of the community will love to see that (not everybody, since not all the community likes MLG nor the competitive scene).

But something I think we all agreed, is that we want Halo to be once again relevant and truly fun. (I feel like in Halo 4 they tried to create some "artificial" fun, that they thought it would be fun for players, perhaps an addition to the "30 seconds of fun", but in the end they aren't fun at all. Even frustrating)

Nebula

I'm putting Halo 4's success down to a lot of people trusting 343 to deliver something that was better than Reach and a game that got back to being Halo.

The numbers show that they obviously didn't feel that the game did those things.

I just booted up Halo 3 to capture a clip on Heretic and man that title music is fantastic.

I think each one of those would attract a certain number of additional players back. Its not one thing that broke this camels back ya know? It was something you could foresee happening from 3 to Reach to 4. Each thing that is better gives the players one less reason to quit.

Other than the free maps, i believe that most of those would attract the type of crowd in here. Not the casuals it needs to be king again.

IHaveIce

Banned
TU better include the removal of flinch

I doubt it :( All the stuff I hate won't be taken out because it is featured in loudouts and in commendations..

Also I don't think anyone can bring back the casual crowd who left Halo 4 after couple of weeks. These kids( yes I assume most of them are minors) just look "what is new" bam Black Ops2 hits the shelf, forget Halo 4, and they will do the same for the next CoD or Battlefield, CoD knows that and just pumps out yearly releases, the most population for CoD doesn't care what is changed (most stuff isn't anyways) they just see "wow new CoD, let's play that".

You can't get them back with free map packs, ranked lists or skill ranking, because they don't even follow the news like we do.

Madness

In my opinion, Halo needs to be the best Halo game possible. Have the best campaign, have the best multiplayer that caters to both the ranked/competitive crowd and the casual/social crowd. This doesn't mean you copy CoD, it means you offer ranks, great custom settings, partner with MLG or have skills based tournaments. For the casual crowd, this like Infinity slayer, Fiesta, Flood, Grifball etc.

It needs to have firefight, needs to have campaign scoring and theater. You can't cut huge legacy/replay features and expect the game to be better than the last.

If you can't achieve 60 FPS, make sure that it's locked at 30+ at least. I should be able to split screen with 4 people on wreckage and all of us are firing fuel rod guns and it shouldn't dip below 30.

But I digress, Halo is not in the same position it was. Especially in the face of multiplatform games like Destiny, Battlefield, Call of Duty. And it makes a difference. Even Nintendo games have trouble. My younger cousins have a wii and a 360. They know what Skyrim is, they don't know what Skyward Sword is. That's the power of a multiplatform. More people know about it, hence more people want to play it.

And that's a pretty dumb thing to say right, but when you have 10 million+ buying Call of duty on all platforms at launch, the devs at 343 and Guerilla take notice and will then try to emulate because when you're in the business of making money, you want to make as much as possible, even if the game suffers.

Nebula

Halo 5 also needs everything about what you do in the game to be accessible within the game itself. CoD does this extremely well and I don't see why 343 shouldn't match, or even surpass them with such a feature.

Ghazi

Halo 5 also needs everything about what you do in the game to be accessible within the game itself. CoD does this extremely well and I don't see why 343 shouldn't match, or even surpass them with such a feature.

Seriously, I mean they're a first party studio and they have less integration than a third party game.

Top Bottom