• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

broony

Most of that was a problem with the glitches and banning systems. People are always going to cheat their way to get to the top. People AFKed for cR in Reach. I still see people doing glitches and boosting in Spops and MM.

What I want to know is who decided it was right to have a time-based progression system and wrong to have a skill-based progression system? Who sat there and decided unlocking armor and loadouts would keep people playing longer than achieving ranks in all the playlists?

All questions that forever go unanswered.

Cheating is much more prominent when there is the carrot of a rank though. And then you get kids whinging that the developer is not doing enough to combat cheaters.

Bungie had to employee people to solely develop, test and manage the ban hammer. That resource could be better used elsewhere.

...serious?

Almost every game I can think of has a winner and a loser. You either outsmart the AI to win, or you don't and you lose. You either clear the stage to win, or you don't and you lose. You either beat your opponent, or you don't and you lose. You either solve the puzzle before time runs out, or you don't and you lose.

Adding either personal scores or ladders to see how you did compared to others is motivation to get a better score. Motivation to keep playing until you reach a goal.

It's not a difficult concept.
He's joking.

orznge

Banned
I just called up Blizzard and Riot and explained to them the points that were made in this thread and they agreed to remove the ranking systems from SC2 and LoL immediately. I'm going to call iD, Stunlock Studios, and S2 later today so I can save QL, BLC, and HON.

u4iX

...serious?

Almost every game I can think of has a winner and a loser. You either outsmart the AI to win, or you don't and you lose. You either clear the stage to win, or you don't and you lose. You either beat your opponent, or you don't and you lose. You either solve the puzzle before time runs out, or you don't and you lose.

Adding either personal scores or ladders to see how you did compared to others is motivation to get a better score. Motivation to keep playing until you reach a goal.

It's not a difficult concept.

How do you explain games like Pac Man, Joust, and Asteroids?

You never won those games, you simply just played them to enjoy the graphics and becoming immersed in being a yellow puck or man with a lance riding a Pegasus.

Halo 4 went back to gaming's roots.

MormaPope

Banned
1. Conor 419
2. Arnie
3. Silly.Mikey

If anyone would like to put aside their unquestionable hatred for me and join in for some lighthearted games of Halo, then feel free to add yourself to the list. I'm sure Devolution, and to a lesser extent, Wahrer could vouch that I am no where near as infuriating over headset as I am in this thread.

All welcome, game types to be decided. Games likely some time next week when I'm back from home and have access to my xbox at uni.

Add me to that list.

Gamertag is deathpill00.

u4iX

I just called up Blizzard and Riot and explained to them the points that were made in this thread and they agreed to remove the ranking systems from SC2 and LoL immediately. I'm going to call iD, Stunlock Studios, and S2 later today so I can save QL, BLC, and HON.

Thank god, those games were getting way too good and popular in the competitive gaming and eSports scenes, and were beginning to thrive and change the very gaming industry and market themselves.

You never won those games, you simply just played them to enjoy the graphics and becoming immersed in being a yellow puck or man with a lance riding a Pegasus.

We should apply this to every sport ever.

All teams should get trophies for playing.

Why reward winners?

orznge

Banned

*takes off Halo 4 Mountain Dew hoodie to reveal NES "know your roots" t-shirt*

Cheating is much more prominent with systems that were around almost 10 years ago.

Fixed for accuracy.

It's as simple as this. The banhammer has evolved since the times of people cheating with standby's and mods to increase in rank. It's incredibly shocking and disappointing to see people, including Stinkles, defend no ingame ranks because of it.

broony

It's important to some people but I wouldn't say it was important to AAA Xbox game. Competitive ranking is a niche in my opinion.

Cheating is much more prominent when there is the carrot of a rank though. And then you get kids whinging that the developer is not doing enough to combat cheaters.

Bungie had to employee people to solely develop, test and manage the ban hammer. That resource could be better used elsewhere.

In your honest opinion, do you think if Halo 5 launched tomorrow with neither a progression system nor a ranking system, it would retain 50% of its launch population 6 months from now?

Conor 419

Banned
1. Conor 419
2. Arnie
3. Silly.Mikey
4. Mormapope
5. Mystery Guest

Anyone who wants in, just quote this post and add yourself to the list. Places are going fast, also don't miss this chance to play alongside the mystery guest I just secured over pm!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Umm, I think you mean ostrich? DO YOUR RESEARCH, UGH

Duji

The only way to stop boosting is to ban stupidity. If you want to minimize cheating, there are plenty of avenues we can invest in, and ones that don't needlessly punish the rest of us like the mute ban I might add.

Actually, all they have to do is stop weighting your teammates' individual ranks. That's what SC2 and LoL do and boosting is impossible in those games because of it.

omg. I died.

lol good one go ask a bunch of Xbox live stereotypes what they liked about Halo 2 and 3
Xbox live stereotypes

implied-facepalm-300x195.jpg

lol good one go ask a bunch of Xbox live stereotypes what they liked about Halo 2 and 3

You know what though, thats not such a bad idea. A survey of all gaming and non gaming communities asking what they like about Halo. Id be VERY curious to see the answers especially from the casuals that were playing Halo2.

broony

In your honest opinion, do you think if Halo 5 launched tomorrow with neither a progression system nor a ranking system, it would retain 50% of its launch population 6 months from now?
I think a progressive system is essential. Spartan rank/ COD prestige is what works to keep people playing but that has nothing to do with playing competitively. You are playing for yourself.

I think a progressive system is essential. Spartan rank/ COD prestige is what works to keep people playing but that has nothing to do with playing competitively. You are playing for yourself.

COD again, is the best example. There are no real ranks in that and the population isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

orznge

Banned

people must have been reaching the far end of the XP curve in Halo 4 too fast then because a lot of people quit playing

you 343 guys listening? you need to lower the XP rate in Halo 5

Why can't both exist?? You know.. like Halo 3?

Some playlists could be ranked, some playlists could be social. Problem solved.

broony

does that mean the new people don't have the capacity to enjoy competition or what
I think the 13 year old kids that screm down their mics, camp, look for exploits on gamefaqs are still trying to either piss people off or make their number go bigger.

That number now is unimportant as is today's games it's just for you. It doesn't fuck other people over by that 13 year old cheating his way to win a match.

orznge

Banned
I think the 13 year old kids that screm down their mics, camp, look for exploits on gamefaqs are still trying to either piss people off or make their number go bigger.

That number now is unimportant as is today's games it's just for you. It doesn't fuck other people over by that 13 year old cheating his way to win a match.

they should make the winning XP bonuses big enough that people cheat and scream pejoratives then

u4iX

Oh, okay, good point. You win.

orznge

Banned
Why can't both exist?? You know.. like Halo 3?

Some playlists could be ranked, some playlists could be social. Problem solved.

the mere suggestion that people have the option of playing competitively within a game is enough to drive away most nice, good-natured gamers; they know the kind of nasty shit people are saying on the mic just a few playlists over

I think a progressive system is essential. Spartan rank/ COD prestige is what works to keep people playing but that has nothing to do with playing competitively.

Keep playing to unlock armor. Okay, what do you do after you get what you like?

You are playing for yourself.

That's a large part of the problem that Halo 4 carried on after Reach. Individual focus in a game with 7 team-based playlists to every 1 FFA playlist is why I end up with the guy who drives the Warthog alone to the Sniper Rifle and betrays me or quits when he doesn't get it.

people must have been reaching the far end of the XP curve in Halo 4 too fast then because a lot of people quit playing

you 343 guys listening? you need to lower the XP rate in Halo 5

The total opposite in fact, they need to make you rank up much faster at the beginning, add a ridiculous amount of ranks and prestiges and a insane amount of unlockable items. Like that you're always getting something.

The goals in COD are usually to get that unlock for that specific class or gun most the time. And most people dont even pay attention if they win or lose at the end of the game. Just what they got as an unlock.

Ghazi

It'll be some point next week, should I add you to the list?

1. Conor 419
2. Arnie
3. Silly.Mikey
4. Mormapope
5. Mystery Guest

I'll be on all Friday, so if it's then and he Stalker isn't doing it then you can add me. I'll be busy every other day of the week though.

Conor 419

Banned
Well, at this point let's just see who'd be up for getting involved, and then we can arrange game that can include the maximum possible number of people.

1. Conor 419
2. Arnie
3. Silly.Mikey
4. Mormapope
5. Mystery Guest
6. Kamikaze Ghazi
7. StalkerUKCG

orznge

Banned
Twitch is hugely important to players who enjoy a really competitive style. Twitch is just a small community amongst the total number of gamers. I have never streamed a game and would never really want to. I think 90% of gamers wouldn't know what twitch was.

honestly when you look at the twitch numbers compared to the total sales of say, SC2, they're miniscule and Blizzard is pissing away money for nothing

orznge

Banned
Twitch is hugely important to players who enjoy a really competitive style. Twitch is just a small community amongst the total number of gamers. I have never streamed a game and would never really want to. I think 90% of gamers wouldn't know what twitch was.

while we're at it, what things do you like about Halo? like what things about its gameplay? tell me so I can pick out a few and explain to you why player counts and 343's pocket book could be better served by removing them

The saddest part is that 343 follows broony's line of thinking.

All gamers have their tastes and preferences. He likes a more laid back environment, and you know what - so do I. But I like to see teamwork where we're all working to win, and that doesn't happen often without any incentive to. There's no reason the laid-back experience can't coexist with a hardcore experience.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Mothafuckas still play Halo?

Also Conor, if you're organizing customs next week, I can probably play.

edit: is the mystery guest zoo joo?

Top Bottom