• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Conor 419

Banned
Let's just say that after reading Silentium, there is a pretty damn good reason that the Didact is the way he is in Halo 4.

Major Silentium spoilers:
The Didact in Halo 4 is the Ur-Didact, the original. Now, the Librarian maintained that the Bornsteller/IsoDidact is her real husband, despite him being the one that the original Ur-Didact imprinted onto the younger Forerunner, since the Ur-Didact thought he was going to die.

The IsoDidact then went about completing the plans of the Didact as his imprint grew stronger. The Ur-Didact ended up surviving, and his memories of conversations with the Primordial revealing the truth of the Precusors, his exile, loss of children in the Human-Forerunner war, etc eventually drive him mad (not entirely crazy, but messed up, anyway) leading him to do the things he does in the Halo 4 terminals, namely Composing a large amount of humans that the Librarian was caring for to raise his own army to defeat the Flood.

The Halo Array was the Master Builder, Faber's solution to the Flood. Shield Worlds/Composing Humans were the Ur-Didact's.

Afterwards, Mendicant Bias and The Flood have driven the Forerunner to their final, last stand at The Greater Ark, smashing the fuck out of it and the rest of the Forerunner fleets and Omega Halo. The IsoDidact is almost killed, if not for being rescued by 343 Guilty Spark, who then brings him to the Lesser Ark to activate the second, secret, more efficient Halo Array (the ones we know today).

The Librarian sneakily follows the Ur-Didact back to Requiem, then "betrays" him, attempting to force him to meditate within his Cryptum using the Domain and all the knowledge it possesses, until the humans can once again rise. She believes that by learning from the Domain, and from Forerunner knowledge, she can bring him back to reason from his self-torture and that he will eventually help the Humans.

The Librarian then leaves for Earth and tells the Flood fleets essentially to "come get her" to give the IsoDidact more time by distracting the Flood. Some Flood go to Earth and tell the Librarian that it knows the location of the Lesser Ark already (unlikely, and probably a bluff, since the Flood finds Installation 00, the Lesser Ark, in Halo 3). It also tells her a long lost truth: that the Domain, the source of all knowledge and interconnected amongst all Forerunner (basically their Internet/History), is actually a Precursor artifact, The "Organon" mentioned in Cryptum, and that it will be destroyed once the Halo Array is activated, destroying all Forerunner, and thus a very large portion of their knowledge, along with the Domain. The Librarian attempts to contact the IsoDidact to make him aware of this fact.

Back at the Lesser Ark, the IsoDidact disregards the message as a fake, and asks 343 Guilty Spark (and thus Chakas, one of his lost human friends) if it were his choice, would he activate the rings.

The IsoDidact lights the rings, destroying all life in the galaxy except the Ur-Didact in his Cryptum in Requiem, but since it also destroyed all Precursor artifacts, and the Domain, the Ur-Didact ended up being condemned to his own thoughts and madness for 100 000 years, rather than meditate within the Domain like the Librarian intended.

He pissed.

Great summary, thanks.

Madness

Makes more sense if you read the books, haha.

That's just it though, the games are the primary focus and without the books, no one knows what the fuck is going on.

They could have summed this shit up in a 2-3 minute cg cutscene at the start of the game or something.

I mean honestly, how is any fan who only plays Halo 1-3, ODST and Reach, going to know any of that going into Halo 4, if he only plays the games?

And I get it for those folks who loved expanded universe stories and books but the games are the original and primary medium. These things should be brought up and explained there first no?

EDIT: sorry if that comes out wrong. What I mean is, if 11.6 million people have played the game, how many do you think have read the books? Start the reclaimer trilogy in the games first, and then fill in some details with books AFTER and in case the books advance too far, play catch up at the start of the next game.

Imagine if Halo 4 started with a cutscene of the librarians voice during the end of the forerunner/flood conflict and we see forerunners dying, the rings get fired, she hints at the didact being locked on Requiem angry and waiting blah blah. And then it cuts to Chief and Cortana. Instead we get a useless Halsey cutscene that explains nothing.

Tawpgun

It sounds really intricate and complicated. I kinda preferred the old, simpler tale. Are the halo 3 terminals incorrect now? Do they contradict the new story?

It sounds really intricate and complicated. I kinda preferred the old, simpler tale. Are the halo 3 terminals incorrect now? Do they contradict the new story?

I haven't read any of the books - all of my knoweldge is in-game or through GAF or Halopedia and I think I have a pretty clear interpretation. The Halo 3 terminals actually aren't wrong; Silentium resolved any issues they may have posed, much like the Reach diary out of the Legendary edition did for Reach's retcons.

Maybe some day I'll do a recap video from the Didact's perspective to educate people as succinctly as possible.

Omni

That's just it though, the games are the primary focus and without the books, no one knows what the fuck is going on.

They could have summed this shit up in a 2-3 minute cg cutscene at the start of the game or something.

I mean honestly, how is any fan who only plays Halo 1-3, ODST and Reach, going to know any of that going into Halo 4, if he only plays the games?

And I get it for those folks who loved expanded universe stories and books but the games are the original and primary medium. These things should be brought up and explained there first no?
Slientium isn't really required to understand what's going on in Halo 4. I put forth that anything you need to know is already covered in the terminals... it's just in H4 due to time restraints, those terminals aren't available in game. Ultimately could it have been handled a little better? Perhaps. But all the information is there if anyone really cared enough to look.

Needing to know the origins of the Flood or Precursors is totally irrelevant in the games. The books still serve the same purpose that they always have; to expand the fiction given to us through the games.

Ominym

Banned
It still blows my mind that Creighton is still in the tournament. I'm usually not used to Nebraska schools doing well in tournaments, especially in basketball...

.. and then I see their next opponent is Duke. gg you had a nice run guys

At least Creighton is decent so Nebraska isn't solely defined by UNL's mediocre basketball program.

Karl2177

Needing to know the origins of the Flood or Precursors is totally irrelevant in the games*. The books still serve the same purpose that they always have; to expand the fiction given to us through the games.

*In the currently released games.

I'm hoping that for future games, they include the book fiction as part of the terminals. It would be a good way to help have the story of the terminals feel like it is progressing, if the first few are covering what the lore-folk already know and the later terminals show hints to what is next. It would also be cool to have two or three separate types of terminals and each type covers a different storyline, but that's a bit harder to pull off without confusing players.

Madness

Slientium isn't really required to understand what's going on in Halo 4. I put forth that anything you need to know is already covered in the terminals... it's just in H4 due to time restraints, those terminals aren't available in game. Ultimately could it have been handled a little better? Perhaps. But all the information is there if anyone really cared enough to look.

Needing to know the origins of the Flood or Precursors is totally irrelevant in the games. The books still serve the same purpose that they always have; to expand the fiction given to us through the games.

Hmm you're right, but how many people out of all the people who played the game found every terminal? Unless you are actively looking for them, you could miss a few, and if you don't have waypoint, you can't watch them either.

I agree if someone was interested enough, he could find them or watch them all.

As for the flood, they were a sort of primary enemy for 3 games, and they're even in a game mode in halo 4, would be nice to at least get some info about them. Maybe Halo 5 will catch us up. You're right, I couldn't get my point across properly though.

gAg CruSh3r

So I just stopped by my local game stop and saw this... Haha

A4316BBA-07F1-4B3F-8A61-47DAC8799EE2-5453-000000981640BC94.jpg

RIP MLG Halo..

So I just stopped by my local game stop and saw this... Haha

A4316BBA-07F1-4B3F-8A61-47DAC8799EE2-5453-000000981640BC94.jpg

RIP MLG Halo..

Plus a free Spartan Ops strategy guide...

...with pro tips on how to activate switches.

EDIT- and while we're on the subject of paper strategy guides, why do they even exist anymore? I have a strategy guide for every game ever made- it's called "the internet".

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm playing CTF playlist with Joe Casual right now. Sort of picking his brain on what he thinks about Halo 4. He's been ranting to me at times. Really interesting stuff.

I just told him Ranks were coming, he had no idea. He asked if there would be a differentiation between Ranked and Social. I told him everything was going to be ranked. Then he asked if he was going to lose his 130.

So, I finally just finished watching Red vs Blue Season 10.

Excellent as always. My only wonder is whether or not they'll finally end it now.

Let's just say that after reading Silentium, there is a pretty damn good reason that the Didact is the way he is in Halo 4.

Major Silentium spoilers:
The Didact in Halo 4 is the Ur-Didact, the original. Now, the Librarian maintained that the Bornsteller/IsoDidact is her real husband, despite him being the one that the original Ur-Didact imprinted onto the younger Forerunner, since the Ur-Didact thought he was going to die.

The IsoDidact then went about completing the plans of the Didact as his imprint grew stronger. The Ur-Didact ended up surviving, and his memories of conversations with the Primordial revealing the truth of the Precusors, his exile, loss of children in the Human-Forerunner war, etc eventually drive him mad (not entirely crazy, but messed up, anyway) leading him to do the things he does in the Halo 4 terminals, namely Composing a large amount of humans that the Librarian was caring for to raise his own army to defeat the Flood.

The Halo Array was the Master Builder, Faber's solution to the Flood. Shield Worlds/Composing Humans were the Ur-Didact's.

Afterwards, Mendicant Bias and The Flood have driven the Forerunner to their final, last stand at The Greater Ark, smashing the fuck out of it and the rest of the Forerunner fleets and Omega Halo. The IsoDidact is almost killed, if not for being rescued by 343 Guilty Spark, who then brings him to the Lesser Ark to activate the second, secret, more efficient Halo Array (the ones we know today).

The Librarian sneakily follows the Ur-Didact back to Requiem, then "betrays" him, attempting to force him to meditate within his Cryptum using the Domain and all the knowledge it possesses, until the humans can once again rise. She believes that by learning from the Domain, and from Forerunner knowledge, she can bring him back to reason from his self-torture and that he will eventually help the Humans.

The Librarian then leaves for Earth and tells the Flood fleets essentially to "come get her" to give the IsoDidact more time by distracting the Flood. Some Flood go to Earth and tell the Librarian that it knows the location of the Lesser Ark already (unlikely, and probably a bluff, since the Flood finds Installation 00, the Lesser Ark, in Halo 3). It also tells her a long lost truth: that the Domain, the source of all knowledge and interconnected amongst all Forerunner (basically their Internet/History), is actually a Precursor artifact, The "Organon" mentioned in Cryptum, and that it will be destroyed once the Halo Array is activated, destroying all Forerunner, and thus a very large portion of their knowledge, along with the Domain. The Librarian attempts to contact the IsoDidact to make him aware of this fact.

Back at the Lesser Ark, the IsoDidact disregards the message as a fake, and asks 343 Guilty Spark (and thus Chakas, one of his lost human friends) if it were his choice, would he activate the rings.

The IsoDidact lights the rings, destroying all life in the galaxy except the Ur-Didact in his Cryptum in Requiem, but since it also destroyed all Precursor artifacts, and the Domain, the Ur-Didact ended up being condemned to his own thoughts and madness for 100 000 years, rather than meditate within the Domain like the Librarian intended.

He pissed.

So the "Organon" was organic or something simmilar to be affected by the halo blast?
??

Omni

*In the currently released games.

I'm hoping that for future games, they include the book fiction as part of the terminals. It would be a good way to help have the story of the terminals feel like it is progressing, if the first few are covering what the lore-folk already know and the later terminals show hints to what is next. It would also be cool to have two or three separate types of terminals and each type covers a different storyline, but that's a bit harder to pull off without confusing players.
Oh, of course. There's definitely a balance to be had.

A problem I have with the Halo 4 terminals is that they didn't really reveal anything terribly new to someone who had read the books. Sure they filled in the details, but pretty much it had all be thought up in conjecture previously anyway. Having two types of terminals would've been a lot better if they could have explained the backstory to those who didn't know it, and hinted at more to those who did.

Hmm you're right, but how many people out of all the people who played the game found every terminal? Unless you are actively looking for them, you could miss a few, and if you don't have waypoint, you can't watch them either.

I agree if someone was interested enough, he could find them or watch them all.

As for the flood, they were a sort of primary enemy for 3 games, and they're even in a game mode in halo 4, would be nice to at least get some info about them. Maybe Halo 5 will catch us up. You're right, I couldn't get my point across properly though.

Well if Silentium is anything to go by,
I have my doubts that we'll see the Flood again.
So I guess ultimately it might not even be on 343i's agenda to explain such a thing in-game.

So the "Organon" was organic or something simmilar to be affected by the halo blast?
??
The Organon was the Domain, which was Precursor in origin. The Halo blast wiped it out.

Really? I'm playing like total shit right now. What's there to rage at?

You and someone else flanked him and Scott when they were going for a sniper. All I heard after that was "OF COURSE YOU'RE RIGHT THERE! FUCK! SHIT! CUNT! WHATTHEFUCKGODDAMMIT!" and they both died and I saw the text saying you got one of the kills.

TCKaos

EDIT- and while we're on the subject of paper strategy guides, why do they even exist anymore? I have a strategy guide for every game ever made- it's called "the internet".

For some games I like having physical maps and charts for reference. The Pokemon Gold and Silver Versus guide was the pinnacle of strategy guides. It's the best one for any game ever, of all time. Precise encounter rates given in percentage points for every route, the exact build of every trainer's team, a fully detailed map and massive Pokedex section that pointed out which Pokemon had the highest stats in different categories and an explanation of the change from SPEC to S.DEF and S.ATK. It was fucking glorious.

wwm0nkey

Plus a free Spartan Ops strategy guide...

...with pro tips on how to activate switches.

mh3_guide_monster.jpg

Thing is like 500 pages long but its useful.

People like Stalker will buy anything with a 4 on it.

I bought the LE strategy guide. Mainly because I expected it to be like Reach's and include some unique artwork and stuff. I can't really remember it I think it has a little bit of stuff that's not in the LE Artbook.

On the subject BL2 LE guide is fantastic quality.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You and someone else flanked him and Scott when they were going for a sniper. All I heard after that was "OF COURSE YOU'RE RIGHT THERE! FUCK! SHIT! CUNT! WHATTHEFUCKGODDAMMIT!" and they both died and I saw the text saying you got one of the kills.

lol

GGs. Had fun in that party but I really played like ass. I think I'm losing my skills lol. I need a fucking team to roll with or something

TCKaos

http://gamedesignreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/mh3_guide_monster.jpg[IMG]

Thing is like 500 pages long but its useful.[/QUOTE]

I'd love Tri if it weren't for the fact that I'm scared absolutely shitless of open bodies of water.

"OH WE NEED YOU TO GO TO THE OCEAN AND COLLECT 10 DINO-MANATEE FINS."

And I'm shaking and shit because holy fuck it's the water and there might be sharks and who knows what could happen and I don't want to drown but what if there are sharks and it's kinda foggy which would make it easier for sharks or octopi to hide or even really big tuna or something and I just don't want to-

AND THEN A GIANT FUCKING SEA DRAGON COMES OUT OF NOWHERE

AND THEN I PANIC

I had to take breaks and I was shaking and sweating nervously the entire time. After I got back on land I had to just not do anything for an hour in the hopes that my heart palpitation would die down. This is the same reason I haven't gotten to the Royal Ludroth.

True story.

Fuchsdh

I haven't read any of the books - all of my knoweldge is in-game or through GAF or Halopedia and I think I have a pretty clear interpretation. The Halo 3 terminals actually aren't wrong; Silentium resolved any issues they may have posed, much like the Reach diary out of the Legendary edition did for Reach's retcons.

Maybe some day I'll do a recap video from the Didact's perspective to educate people as succinctly as possible.

There are still some inconsistencies with the Halo 3 terminals, but unlike the retcons with Reach, there's plenty of reasons for the accounts to differ. Bear/343 did an amazing job merging the Halo 3/Halo CEA/Halo 4 terminals together, with some bonus elements from Halo Legends and even the "Cradle of Life" Iris ARG comic. As far as continuity goes its a smorgasbord of connections. Basically, the Halo 3 terminals are "correct" in general sequence, while the details have jumped around and changed. FUD has an article for you on the situation, pre-Silentium:

http://www.forwarduntodawn.com/terminal-reconciliation/

Oh, of course. There's definitely a balance to be had.

A problem I have with the Halo 4 terminals is that they didn't really reveal anything terribly new to someone who had read the books. Sure they filled in the details, but pretty much it had all be thought up in conjecture previously anyway. Having two types of terminals would've been a lot better if they could have explained the backstory to those who didn't know it, and hinted at more to those who did.

Well if Silentium is anything to go by,
I have my doubts that we'll see the Flood again.
So I guess ultimately it might not even be on 343i's agenda to explain such a thing in-game.

I agree about the Halo 4 terminals, in that while they gave us a lot about the Didact's motives, I still think a crucial element was missing--Silentium really should have come out before, or with Halo 4, because you need both to make the Didact a fully realized character. It's a shame that depth was not more effectively conveyed in game, because he's an amazing tragic figure when you've got all the details.

As fo the Flood... I'm pretty sure they're coming back. There's still five rings out there with Flood just waiting to be released, and
Silentium still strongly suggests the Flood spread out to other galaxies.

Karl2177

A few weeks ago I was asking around if there was a Halo 3 image pack similar to the one that Halo2FrEeEk did for Halo: Reach. I didn't get much in results, so I decided to compile as many images as I could find. Even though, it's been a while since Halo 3 was the spotlight Halo title, I present the Halo 3 Image Pack. All images are taken from bungie.net unless specified in the read me included. Enjoy!

Download Links
Dropbox Link

Redford

aka Cabbie

A few weeks ago I was asking around if there was a Halo 3 image pack similar to the one that Halo2FrEeEk did for Halo: Reach. I didn't get much in results, so I decided to compile as many images as I could find. Even though, it's been a while since Halo 3 was the spotlight Halo title, I present the Halo 3 Image Pack. All images are taken from bungie.net unless specified in the read me included. Enjoy!

Download Links
Dropbox Link

This is great, thanks!

Top Bottom