• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Blueblur1

mh3_guide_monster.jpg

Thing is like 500 pages long but its useful.
Which book is that?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Read about customs, hurry home to join in.

See a party of three playing Spartan Ops.

wtf

Hey You

-snip-

A few weeks ago I was asking around if there was a Halo 3 image pack similar to the one that Halo2FrEeEk did for Halo: Reach. I didn't get much in results, so I decided to compile as many images as I could find. Even though, it's been a while since Halo 3 was the spotlight Halo title, I present the Halo 3 Image Pack. All images are taken from bungie.net unless specified in the read me included. Enjoy!

Nice, got a link to the Reach one?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I LAN'd Halo 3 for the first time in four years today. Sooooo fucking fun.

Purplemage

Neo Member
Went back and played some rumble on Reach this morning. Really love that game far more than most. But hot damn! That DMR bloom! However, in sharp contrast dat sexy five shot pistol is still my second favorite weapon.

Really can't wait for this TU for 4 though, I wanna see how exile plays with a far more fair Gauss Hog. And can't the normal Hog get some love? Just like extra vehicle health or anything really to make it compete with the other vehicles.

LMFAO poor Halo.. Watching the panel now and girls loving Kevin Franklin jokes are made. Then when it gets to Bravo, he's the the bad punchline as usual. The dude 343 hired to be the on-hands competitive guy is constantly being made fun of LOL

RIP all of us.

I agree about the Halo 4 terminals, in that while they gave us a lot about the Didact's motives, I still think a crucial element was missing--Silentium really should have come out before, or with Halo 4, because you need both to make the Didact a fully realized character. It's a shame that depth was not more effectively conveyed in game, because he's an amazing tragic figure when you've got all the details.

As fo the Flood... I'm pretty sure they're coming back. There's still five rings out there with Flood just waiting to be released, and
Silentium still strongly suggests the Flood spread out to other galaxies.
It's weird that Silentium makes no mention of
Flood forms being stored on the new Halo rings. The rings we know, and the Ark from Halo 3 are just introduced right at the end of the storyline, we're given an explanation as to why they exist, and that's it. Even as I was reading it, it kinda came across as lazy and an afterthought, like Bear suddenly realized he needed to tie these things together.

I think it's the best piece of Halo fiction ever written, but ever since the Forerunner trilogy started I've been wondering why everything suddenly needed to be so complicated. We had a full array of rings 10,000 kilometers in diameter and a huge-ass Ark, and Bear decides the Forerunners need bigger ones because of reasons.

Striker

Went back and played some rumble on Reach this morning. Really love that game far more than most. But hot damn! That DMR bloom! However, in sharp contrast dat sexy five shot pistol is still my second favorite weapon.

Really can't wait for this TU for 4 though, I wanna see how exile plays with a far more fair Gauss Hog. And can't the normal Hog get some love? Just like extra vehicle health or anything really to make it compete with the other vehicles.
The Warthog itself is fairly decent in the game, the problem persists with the plasma pistol/grenades loadouts. It makes sense if it can't hang with the Wraith, it's not a tank. The Mantis is just strange all together, it's too powerful to be included when you talk about preset loadouts that remove plasma items and not make the maps built for Heavies (so putting Rockets, Lasers, Railguns, etc. everywhere is not ideal). The best set scenario is to go Warthog/Ghost/Mongoose, and also Wraith if the map is set for it (for instance, Ragnarok is not).

I'm a bit curious what they have plans for in the BTB Objective playlist. I'm betting they include Infinity CTF, so OP, yet so fun! ^_^

GrizzNKev

Banned
It's weird that Silentium makes no mention of
Flood forms being stored on the new Halo rings. The rings we know, and the Ark from Halo 3 are just introduced right at the end of the storyline, we're given an explanation as to why they exist, and that's it. Even as I was reading it, it kinda came across as lazy and an afterthought, like Bear suddenly realized he needed to tie these things together.

I think it's the best piece of Halo fiction ever written, but ever since the Forerunner trilogy started I've been wondering why everything suddenly needed to be so complicated. We had a full array of rings 10,000 kilometers in diameter and a huge-ass Ark, and Bear decides the Forerunners need bigger ones because of reasons.

Well, it kind of is just because of reasons.

What would you do if you were given a story with a well-defined beginning and end and plenty of established ideas and told, "We're making 3 more games because money. Write a bunch of stuff so that these 3 more games have a reason to exist within the fiction," you can't really do much else but make it more and more complex.

Well, it kind of is just because of reasons.

What would you do if you were given a story with a well-defined beginning and end and plenty of established ideas and told, "We're making 3 more games because money. Write a bunch of stuff so that these 3 more games have a reason to exist within the fiction," you can't really do much else but make it more and more complex.

True, but then he spends an entire novel doing fucking nothing, and then
introduces the main plot elements from the original trilogy mere moments before it's all over.

anastazius

Neo Member
I've played a couple of hours of it. It IS fantastic, though I'm gonna hold out for the Wii U remake with better AI and redone boss battles.

A few weeks ago I was asking around if there was a Halo 3 image pack similar to the one that Halo2FrEeEk did for Halo: Reach. I didn't get much in results, so I decided to compile as many images as I could find. Even though, it's been a while since Halo 3 was the spotlight Halo title, I present the Halo 3 Image Pack. All images are taken from bungie.net unless specified in the read me included. Enjoy!

Download Links
Dropbox Link

Beautiful

The Warthog itself is fairly decent in the game, the problem persists with the plasma pistol/grenades loadouts. It makes sense if it can't hang with the Wraith, it's not a tank. The Mantis is just strange all together, it's too powerful to be included when you talk about preset loadouts that remove plasma items and not make the maps built for Heavies (so putting Rockets, Lasers, Railguns, etc. everywhere is not ideal). The best set scenario is to go Warthog/Ghost/Mongoose, and also Wraith if the map is set for it (for instance, Ragnarok is not).

I'm a bit curious what they have plans for in the BTB Objective playlist. I'm betting they include Infinity CTF, so OP, yet so fun! ^_^

I'm hoping that against the odds it has pre-set loadouts with no plasma pistol/nades. BR starts with DMR on map.

GrizzNKev

Banned
True, but then he spends an entire novel doing fucking nothing, and then
introduces the main plot elements from the original trilogy mere moments before it's all over.

I dunno. Out of the six new books (one yet unfinished, I know) I've only read Cryptum in its entirety. I read about 2/3 of Glasslands before giving up.

I used to eat up new Halo books within 2-3 days of their release, but these just didn't hold my interest at all. So much building up of nothingness, so much twisting of what I had learned and loved. The whole new world of fiction felt more like a betrayal than an expansion. Halo 4's story, messy as it was, was the least offensive to my own reasons for liking the story out of post-Halo 3 content.

For the record, I officially ignore Halo: Reach as canon and refer to The Fall of Reach exclusively.

Woorloog

Banned
Fans of ODST:

Play Deus Ex: Human Revolution. God damn. Feels like new mombassa

No it doesn't. Lacks the music, which is crucial part of how ODST felt.
Music can make or break a game, as far as i'm concerned.
EDIT not saying DEHR has bad music. On the contary, it is good. But it doesn't feel like ODST.

No it doesn't. Lacks the music, which is crucial part of how ODST felt.
Music can make or break a game, as far as i'm concerned.
EDIT not saying DEHR has bad music. On the contary, it is good. But it doesn't feel like ODST.

Dues Ex had a great atmosphere, to me it felt like ODST.

Nebula

The main issue with BTB is that it always feels like heavies. Vehicles get pooped on by any number of launcher, then if that doesn't happen, a Sniper will be sure to fill that role and if that doesn't happen, you're getting plasma pistoled by 3 guys while they all spam stickies.
Secret option: All of these happen and you're fucked.

It's a crappy experience for any vehicle enthusiast. Oh and the Mantis is a back of crap that should have never made Multiplayer. Crappy boring stagnant gameplay with that thing on the map. Basically playing cross map pinging with it if the player piloting it has half a brain.

BTB objective needs set loadouts with no Plasma shit. If it doesn't you'll be running the flag across the map because I guarantee at least 2 people with be running loadouts with a PP and Plasma grenades while sitting in the base on the flag waiting for your hog to roll in.

Woorloog

Banned
Dues Ex had a great atmosphere, to me it felt like ODST.

Great atmosphere, yes. But not like ODST's... I can see similarities, a lot of them but there are more pressing differences that make them feel very different as well.
Or maybe i'm more sensitive to such differences.

Anyway.. i never finished HR... played 2/3rds and then i just stopped for some reason, something else took my time. Never got back, never managed to restart (played first mission and got bored).

BTB objective needs set loadouts with no Plasma shit. If it doesn't you'll be running the flag across the map because I guarantee at least 2 people with be running loadouts with a PP and Plasma grenades while sitting in the base on the flag waiting for your hog to roll in.

Don't you dare to take away my custom loadouts and Infinity experience from BTB!

Can't replicate Halo 3 BTB but don't take away what is fun in Halo 4 in its own right.
Somehow i have a feeling i'm alone here, liking Halo 4 Infinity gametypes, custom loadouts and Halo 4 BTB.

I dunno. Out of the six new books (one yet unfinished, I know) I've only read Cryptum in its entirety. I read about 2/3 of Glasslands before giving up.

I used to eat up new Halo books within 2-3 days of their release, but these just didn't hold my interest at all. So much building up of nothingness, so much twisting of what I had learned and loved. The whole new world of fiction felt more like a betrayal than an expansion. Halo 4's story, messy as it was, was the least offensive to my own reasons for liking the story out of post-Halo 3 content.

For the record, I officially ignore Halo: Reach as canon and refer to The Fall of Reach exclusively.

I enjoy the additions to the story, but I realize that since Reach, everything changed and nothing is no longer safe. I still hold Halo 1 through 3 as the prime canon, but that doesn't mean I won't read the next stuff.

This Forerunner trilogy in particular was something I immensely enjoyed, even though I never felt it a story neccesary to be told. It throws some of the pre-existing canon to the wind but manages to tell a tale that, if stripped of the 'Halo'-title, would still manage to stand well on its own.

Top Bottom