• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

IHaveIce

Banned
But flinch isn't something they are going to touch as long as stability is still a perk. If they change the weapons across the board rather than having so many different versions, they'll absolutely have to make sure they don't make other sandbox items completely redundant.

The tools they have are allowing them to fix ROF and even weapon damage. This alone will make for a better balance for the weapon but it's role will still have to be a long range rifle.

Flinch is there to stay. Sucks but I'd definitely welcome these changes.

Of course any change is better than no change.
And yes Flinch will stay .. sadly.

Do we know that RoF and damage are everything that is now tweakable with it? What is with aim assist, magnetism, maybe even magazine size, bloom or Scope dimension (2x, 3x etc)

I wonder if a 2x only DMR would be better.

But aslong as they nerf the DMR and reduce the spread of the BR I'm happy

Did you get Magestic?

Yeah I did, In my opinion these are ok maps, but dressed as good maps because they are small. But most settings are awfull on them, Infinity Slayer on Skyline( best map out of them) I dominated by automatic weapons.

Spawns are bad, rocket launcher spawns way too fast on Monolith and Landfall. The map pack is way better than the last one at least

Rev3rb

Do we know that RoF and damage are everything that is now tweakable with it? What is with aim assist, magnetism, maybe even magazine size, bloom or Scope dimension (2x, 3x etc)

As long as Bravo's working on it, I think all will end well :]

Ghazi

Did 343i hire Bravo before they started development on Halo 4 or like halfway through?

I don't know when they started development on it or when they hired Bravo, that's why I'm asking.

Did 343i hire Bravo before they started development on Halo 4 or like halfway through?

I don't know when they started development on it or when they hired Bravo, that's why I'm asking.
After, i think he worked on doubles

Yeah I did, In my opinion these are ok maps, but dressed as good maps because they are small. But most settings are awfull on them, Infinity Slayer on Skyline( best map out of them) I dominated by automatic weapons.

Spawns are bad, rocket launcher spawns way too fast on Monolith and Landfall. The map pack is way better than the last one at least

Rocket spawn times are perfect, personal ordnance is stupid. Throwdown would be awesome on those maps

Madness

I actually love the single shot firing of the DMR, and think it would have been wonderful with only a 2x scope.

The biggest problem with it, is that it's a mini sniper and it completely ruins large open maps. Coupled with things like camo, jet pack, you can have an even bigger advantage.

I love playing BR only playlists and I think the best way to fix it, is to remove it altogether. And it sucks because a large population of fans love the DMR and don't want any changes.

Caja 117

What a world of good hitting people from long distances will do without killing them.

Yeah, I don't see your point here. You kind of just said it's already fixed that issue. If you aren't killing people as quickly from lng range, isn't that a good thing? Yes or no.

Edit: What does 'stopping map flow' even mean when people are still alive crossing the map? It's still a lng range rifle. There will definitely be deaths from longer ranges than most guns but map flow will not be hindered as much.

Stopping map flow means people wont move fluidly around the map given they are easily Getting shot at from great distance, something that Should only be reserved to sniper rifles. Not even COD or Battlefield you can shoot someone with ease from great distance.

The point made here is that even one easy shot at great distance is bad because that will put you automatically in disadvantage in any close encounter, because of this, there is less movement and more people going into hiding.

A good example is longbow, where Battles are exclusive from mid base to either red base or blue base.

Stopping map flow means people wont move fluidly around the map given they are easily Getting shot at from great distance, something that Should only be reserved to sniper rifles. Not even COD or Battlefield you can shoot someone with ease from great distance.

The point made here is that even one easy shot at great distance is bad because that will put you automatically in disadvantage in any close encounter, because of this, there is less movement and more people going into hiding.

First shot of a BR burst is 100% accurate. Therefore, you could say the BR ruins mapflow for the very same reason.

Flinch is one if the worst desicions in a Halo game. Might be worse than sprint.

Agreed. If I had the choice to permanently remove either sprint or flinch from Halo, I'd axe flinch.

DMR

-reduce scope to 2x
-lower magnetism and aim assist

BR

-reduce shots to kill to four

AR

-scrap

If there were no "duplicate" playlists (TU BETA SLAYER, MLG, Zero Bloom, etc) but still two weapon sets, which would you guys want vanilla and which would you want classic? I was thinking:

Classic - Rumble Pit, Team Doubles, Team Prodown (Slayer Classic / One Flag / One Bomb / Three Plots)

Vanilla - Team Throwdown (Slayer / Snipers / Regicide / Regicide variant), Team Objective, Team Control

Additionally, if they got rid of Sprint and AAs, what would you guys want the extra buttons to be used for?

Bravo got too 343ish. Like hes always tweeting shit like Fiesta is coming soon its insane!

Like calm down and go make the competitive playlist, let Wahrer make the fiesta playlist. Not even letting him do what hes good at.

Caja 117

First shot of a BR burst is 100% accurate. Therefore, you could say the BR ruins mapflow for the very same reason.

At great distance with recoil and spread and a 2x scope? there is a chance of not Hitting a moving target and you will most likely not land the 3 round burst, DMR gives you a 3x scoped and a single shot, which is a guaranteed hit.

Havok

Ended up marathoning through Silentium today, and it was a pretty fun read throughout. I'm kind of a sucker for fiction that references and fills in gaps surrounding existing events, and the book has that in spades.

Having said that, this book should have come out before the game. So much of the ambiguity surrounding the Didact and his motivations evaporates once you've read this thing. The game's story suffers for it.
Classic - Rumble Pit, Team Doubles, Team Prodown (Slayer Classic / One Flag / One Bomb / Three Plots)
You've posted this a few times, but what makes One Bomb and Flag more "classic" than the symmetric variants...which the original game had but not their asymmetric counterparts? whynotboth.png

If there were no "duplicate" playlists (TU BETA SLAYER, MLG, Zero Bloom, etc) but still two weapon sets, which would you guys want vanilla and which would you want classic? I was thinking:

Vanilla - Team Throwdown (Slayer / Snipers / Regicide / Regicide variant), Team Objective, Team Control

Additionally, if they got rid of Sprint and AAs, what would you guys want the extra buttons to be used for?

I'd love a classic BTB list with weapons on the map and no ordinance. I feel like most of the maps would play much better with something to draw players out of hiding and without the multitude of snipers [or as many vehicles]. One reason I loved H3 BTB so much.

Without Sprint or AAs, the control schemes wouldn't be that different from Halo 3 without Equipment.

Ended up marathoning through Silentium today, and it was a pretty fun read throughout. I'm kind of a sucker for fiction that references and fills in gaps surrounding existing events, and the book has that in spades.

Having said that, this book should have come out before the game. So much of the ambiguity surrounding the Didact and his motivations evaporates once you've read this thing. The game's story suffers for it.
You've posted this a few times, but what makes One Bomb and Flag more "classic" than the symmetric variants? whynotboth.png

The books out? How's the read compare to the first 2

Havok

Does Silentium improve Halo 4s story?
I think so, as weird as it seems. It gives the context that should have been there on release (and a lot of which is covered in the terminal videos).
The books out? How's the read compare to the first 2
Better than Primordium, that's for sure. I had a few moments where I had to make sure I knew who was speaking since it's occasionally ambiguous. It's probably my favorite of the three, though it's been so long since I've read Cryptum that I can't really be sure of that.

You've posted this a few times, but what makes One Bomb and Flag more "classic" than the symmetric variants? whynotboth.png

"Team Classic" isn't really classic in a Halo 2 sense. In both gametypes all of the settings are the same with a few key differences:

Team Slayer allows for loadouts (which are heavily streamlined, no AAs or perks) and relies on the full 20-weapon sandbox.

Team Classic uses Magnum starts with 10 weapons available on maps:
-Magnum
-Plasma Pistol
-Phase Rifle (DMR/Beam Rifle cross)
-Railgun
-Huntshot (Halo 2 Brute Shot/Fuel Rod cross)
-Phasebuster (Grenade Launcher/Sticky Detonator cross)
-Sniper
-Beam Rifle
-Rockets
-Gravity Gauntlet (for map movement)

So it's more a difference between using all the weapons and whittling it down to the competitively viable ones. Team Objective still has CTF, One Flag, Assault, and One Bomb using "standard" 20-weapon settings.

But the BR has a 2x scope making it naturally harder to aim at longer distances.

Really, sometimes I wish Halo had separate sandboxes for 4v4 and 8v8.

It feels like Halo isn't something you can appease all communities with one way of playing anymore (not that you ever could). Being able to adapt the game to suit Grifball, BTB or MLG 4v4 seems pretty vital and lacking somewhat thus far in Halo 4.

I think so, as weird as it seems. It gives the context that should have been there on release (and a lot of which is covered in the terminal videos).
Better than Primordium, that's for sure. I had a few moments where I had to make sure I knew who was speaking since it's occasionally ambiguous. It's probably my favorite of the three, though it's been so long since I've read Cryptum that I can't really be sure of that.

I fuckin loved the terminals. Do you think I would enjoy the book? I've read the first 2 already, found Crytum to be eye opening and Primordium to be a snore fest.

heckfu

Banned

Ezo0J.gif

Fotos

Thought of a pretty cool Action Sack Game mode 343 could make with the new ability to change weapon damage.

You could call it Opposite Fiesta or Fiesta Flip (Feel free to find a better name).

Essentially it's Fiesta but all the weapons damages are switched. So a Binary Rifle will do the least amount of damage because it is usually 1 shot kill and the Plasma Pistol will do the best because it is the weakest.

- Spawn with power weapons that do significantly less damage than usual.
- The weapons you get in the Ordnance are weapons that are usually weak. The weaker the better.

Add any ideas you want to this. I'm talking to you Wahrer.

Havok

I fuckin loved the terminals. Do you think I would enjoy the book? I've read the first 2 already, found Crytum to be eye opening and Primordium to be a snore fest.
If that's the case, then you'd probably enjoy it. It's occasionally more convoluted than it ought to be (which stems mostly from its POV structure), but as someone who regretted slogging through Primordium but found Cryptum interesting if not exactly fun to read, I had a pretty good time with it. There are a couple of direct nods to the terminal videos (and it helps put a lot of the Halo 3 terminals into a more easily understood context, now that I think about it).
"Team Classic" isn't really classic in a Halo 2 sense. In both gametypes all of the settings are the same with a few key differences:

Team Slayer allows for loadouts (which are heavily streamlined, no AAs or perks) and relies on the full 20-weapon sandbox.

Team Classic uses Magnum starts with 10 weapons available on maps:
-Magnum
-Plasma Pistol
-Phase Rifle (DMR/Beam Rifle cross)
-Railgun
-Huntshot (Halo 2 Brute Shot/Fuel Rod cross)
-Phasebuster (Grenade Launcher/Sticky Detonator cross)
-Sniper
-Beam Rifle
-Rockets
-Gravity Gauntlet (for map movement)

So it's more a difference between using all the weapons and whittling it down to the competitively viable ones. Team Objective still has CTF, One Flag, Assault, and One Bomb using "standard" 20-weapon settings.
So...why make that arbitrary separation between the symmetric and asymmetric variants, if the only difference is the sandbox? Especially when the asymmetric variants are (or have been, RIP asymmetric gametypes), if anything, less competitively viable than the symmetric variants?

Thought of a pretty cool Action Sack Game mode 343 could make with the new ability to change weapon damage.

You could call it Opposite Fiesta or Fiesta Flip (Feel free to find a better name).

Essentially it's Fiesta but all the weapons damages are switched. So a Binary Rifle will do the least amount of damage because it is usually 1 shot kill and the Plasma Pistol will do the best because it is the weakest.

- The weapons you get in the Ordnance are weapons that are usually weak. The weaker the better.

Team Siesta? The easiest solution would be to arrange all the weapons in terms of power from weakest to strongest, so something like

Incineration Cannon
Binary Rifle
Spartan Laser
Rocket Launcher
Fuel Rod Cannon
Plasma Pistol
Magnum

and swap all of the weapon values accordingly. I had an idea for Team Hotshot 2.0 where you're given access to three classes:

ATTACK: Increases weapon damage, lowers speed and health.

DEFENSE: Increases shielding and damage resistance, lowers speed and weapon damage.

SPEED: Increases speed and frame dexterity, lowers health and weapon damage.

Your loadouts are unchanged. However, in the original Hotshot, getting kills could increase your "heat" which ramped up your damage but lowered your speed. Getting max heat (3 kills) would give your player the straight-up powerup that accompanies the loadout: attack gets Damage Boost, Defense gets Overshield, etc.

Should be released for April Fools.

If that's the case, then you'd probably enjoy it. It's occasionally more convoluted than it ought to be (which stems mostly from its POV structure), but as someone who regretted slogging through Primordium but enjoyed found Cryptum interesting if not exactly fun to read, I had a pretty good time with it. There are a couple of direct nods to the terminal videos (and it helps put a lot of the Halo 3 terminals into a more easily understood context, now that I think about it).
So...why make that arbitrary separation between the symmetric and asymmetric variants, if the only difference is the sandbox? Especially when the asymmetric variants are (or have been, RIP asymmetric gametypes), if anything, less competitively viable than the symmetric variants?

Awesome. Thanks for the write up :)

Fotos

Team Siesta? The easiest solution would be to arrange all the weapons in terms of power from weakest to strongest, so something like

Incineration Cannon
Binary Rifle
Spartan Laser
Rocket Launcher
Fuel Rod Cannon
Plasma Pistol
Magnum

and swap all of the weapon values accordingly. I had an idea for Team Hotshot 2.0 where you're given access to three classes:

ATTACK: Increases weapon damage, lowers speed and health.

DEFENSE: Increases shielding and damage resistance, lowers speed and weapon damage.

SPEED: Increases speed and frame dexterity, lowers health and weapon damage.

Your loadouts are unchanged. However, in the original Hotshot, getting kills could increase your "heat" which ramped up your damage but lowered your speed. Getting max heat (3 kills) would give your player the straight-up powerup that accompanies the loadout: attack gets Damage Boost, Defense gets Overshield, etc.

I was thinking about that name too.

I think that game mode would be really fun. It would be an interesting switch to get excited when you get a gun that is usually shitty.

Hire Foxtrot and Wahrer as Action Sack coordinators.

Should be released for April Fools.
On April 1st 343 should just flip around the weapon damage and rate of fire of every gun just to fuck with everyone.

So...why make that arbitrary separation between the symmetric and asymmetric variants, if the only difference is the sandbox? Especially when the asymmetric variants are, if anything, less competitively viable than the symmetric variants?

I can make a gigantic playlist post tonight, but my line of thinking was that my current 20-weapon sandbox, streamlined though it may be, may still have some elements that seem intimidating or unnecessary to competitive players (such as the Energy Sword successor and the Needler Shotgun). If you eliminate Loadouts it's whittled down to a 14-weapon sandbox right off the bat, so I could just make "Slayer Classic" disable loadouts. It should be noted that virtually all the weapons in the sandbox rely extensively on potentially high kill times offset by high skill curves save for a few power weapons, though - much like the Magnum out of CE.

My main concern is that no matter how barebones my weapon sandbox is, unless you have something even more barebones that people won't view it as competitively viable (see Reach).

Rev3rb

You know what would be amazing?

If they put an option in custom games to change power and ROF for individual guns in the next game.

95% chance this won't happen

Bravo got too 343ish. Like hes always tweeting shit like Fiesta is coming soon its insane!

Like calm down and go make the competitive playlist, let Wahrer make the fiesta playlist. Not even letting him do what hes good at.

I know this is another of your classic pseudo serious posts but I'm going to reply to it anyway.

Bravo can't waltz into 343 take total control of playlists and reform Halo 4, That's not how it works and you know this. Lets say 343 did hire you, you would be just the same as bravo right now. Limited in what you can do but you're job requires or more accurately implies that you should portray to the community excitement over most if not all playlist changes because of the respectable stance you hold in the eyes of community.

Its business at the end of the day and things are rarely straightforward in business.

Its sad to say but iv wrote Halo 4 off as a competitive game at this point. It's not going to have the features I want implemented or axed. Its going to continually suffer for a low population. The maps are nothing special, The gameplay changes makes me frustrated and no ranking structure (CSR doesn't count sorry) means that nothing compels me to play the game.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't she actually prevent the little shit bully's friends from attacking the poor kid after he powerslams him?
I dunno, it's been a while since I've seen the original video.

Edit : On a totally different note, what are the chances that we'll get some major-ish Destiny news from GDC?

Top Bottom