• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop

H4 UI menu seems smoother as of late.

I haven't played in awhile so mock me if old.

Edit: So CoD:Ghosts is confirmed next gen and is being premiered at the Xbox event coming up. Interesting

My friend Prinz Eugn (some here know him) has an Onza and has RtM'd the damn thing for a new one like half a dozen times because it keeps fucking up. When it's working though, it's apparently a godsend.

I have 2 of the MLG controllers. The only issue I've ever had is that on one of them the shoulder buttons became very sensitive after about a year of use. I use that one on my PC with no issues.

I've not had any thumbstick issues or anything like that either. I play a lot of arcade/indie games on both Xbox and PC so the D-pad is infinitely better than the piece of shit on the standard 360 controller. The only issue people might have that I can think of is that the sensitivity of the controller is naturally higher than the X360 controller, but I don't do 100% thumbstick pushes nonstop like most people so it didn't really bug me.

Booshka

Catching up on the last few messages, Dark Souls PvP offers the highest tier of quality hatemail. Nothing comes close, griefing some guy for 30 mins then murdering him instantly at will confers the most wicked of hatemail.

My best griefing in that game is as a co op partner, some guy lost his mind, sent me like half a dozen rage messages and made a thread about me on GameFAQs. It was glorious.

Cleansing noobs on Dark Souls is the most pure form of cleansing.

kylej

Banned
also I don't know where else to put this but Lukems is a part of HaloGAF's DNA, so close enough. I know most of the people here are fetuses who were 11 in 2007 too, but for those of you who remember the 1UP Show, remember Ryan O'Donnell? The obese dude with the crazy hair who smoked cigs?

newshowjtm.jpg

1upshow-deadspace.jpg

I stumbled upon his twitter today and this is what he looks like. Crazy. Good for him.

R4ddnxF.jpg

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
also I don't know where else to put this but Lukems is a part of HaloGAF's DNA, so close enough. I know most of the people here are fetuses who were 11 in 2007 too, but for those of you who remember the 1UP Show, remember Ryan O'Donnell? The obese dude with the crazy hair who smoked cigs?

newshowjtm.jpg

1upshow-deadspace.jpg

I stumbled upon his twitter today and this is what he looks like. Crazy. Good for him.

R4ddnxF.jpg

Yep, very proud of Ryan. Basically just started walking and occasionally watching what he ate.

orznge

Banned
I dunno who it is here but someone owes me ten bucks since Borderlands 2 mappable controls never caused any serious glitches.

Actually I really feel it should be double since Halo 4 originally came with button glitches, which was the reason for not having mappable controls.

lol I forgot about that, that's by far one of the most embarrassing things any game developer/publisher has said

u4iX

While we're quasi on the subject of Luke Smith, I'd like to remind everyone of how the proverbial "dark side" turned him.

For a brief history lesson, he authored the article in defense of the Halo 3 BR spread after it had been properly trounced on the MLG forums. He defended random factors, out of the players hands, in order to reduce the skill gap between players.

Contrast that with this article he wrote called "Broken Halo."

http://www.1up.com/features/broken-halo

Simply put, Halo: Combat Evolved was a better designed, balanced, and tuned multiplayer experience than its sequel.

Halo: CE was designed so that on most maps and in most situations, players already had the best weapon-the human pistol. While the pistol is tremendously overpowered (two body shots and a headshot is a kill), everyone starts with one in most situations (Wizard was an example of where they didn't). By starting everyone with an equally powerful weapon, Bungie's map design demanded performance from the players. Victory is determined by skill rather than the randomness of the weapon. After all, if everyone has the same weapon, it's a Tombstone-style shoot-out.

Weapons should spawn on the same timer, regardless of the weapon being possessed by a team or player. This change would create combat situations built on holding down a specific area in which a weapon is about to respawn and would revive some of the most exciting parts of Halo: CE.

Had the plasma pistol retained its overheating function from Halo and that overheating served to prevent the player from switching immediately to a secondary weapon, the plasma pistol would've been more tolerable.

BigShow36

While we're quasi on the subject of Luke Smith, I'd like to remind everyone of how the proverbial "dark side" turned him.

For a brief history lesson, he authored the article in defense of the Halo 3 BR spread after it had been properly trounced on the MLG forums. He defended random factors, out of the players hands, in order to reduce the skill gap between players.

Contrast that with this article he wrote called "Broken Halo."

http://www.1up.com/features/broken-halo

I get sad just looking at that again.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/01/newshowjtm.jpg
http://ludusnovus.net/images/1upshow-deadspace.jpg

R4ddnxF.jpg
KIRbxnS.jpg

kidding, major props to him

i remember him as the guy who said "the only problem with gears 2 was that it was too good"

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/01/newshowjtm.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://ludusnovus.net/images/1upshow-deadspace.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/R4ddnxF.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yea saw it recently. Fuckin crazy.

U4ix, can you link that Halo 3 article you're talking about

R4ddnxF.jpg
What the fuuuuuuuu, looks like a completely different person. I guess less hair magnifies that too.

Good on him.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tashi how is the MLG controller?

Degraded to the point where I'm considering a new controller this summer. I have to wipe the contacts on the sticks before every play session otherwise they will go haywire while playing. Pretty damn frustrating.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
lol I forgot about that, that's by far one of the most embarrassing things any game developer/publisher has said

Borderlands and Halo have completely different engines. Halo button glitches are related to the way the animation and animation cancel works with the rest of the systems. It's intrinsic. The two games simply aren't comparable. May as well compare it with Street Fighter.

That said, controls, button glitches, animation and lots of other systems are stuff we're obviously set on improving in the future.

It is interesting to look at video game history and seeing glitches incorporated as full on game mechanics or left alone in subsequent patches as it's seen as a solidified aspect of the game.

What if they kept quick camo as a utility function of weapons that were otherwise not as versatile or powerful? If they actually incorporated the button glitches as a fleshed out mechanic to allow you to combo melees and reload or shoot faster? Would've been cooler than perks turned out for sure.

Then again it's not for me to say that Bungie was in the wrong to fix those in sequels, but it's cool to see things like combos and even rocket jumping coming out of what was completely unintended design.

u4iX

Borderlands and Halo have completely different engines. Halo button glitches are related to the way the animation and animation cancel works with the rest of the systems. It's intrinsic. The two games simply aren't comparable. May as well compare it with Street Fighter.

That said, controls, button glitches, animation and lots of other systems are stuff we're obviously set on improving in the future.

Isn't Street Fighter a comparison in favor of button combos, or "intrinsic glitches," because top tier players have a better understanding of frame data, which leads to possible combo knowledge and "safe moves" over less knowledgeable and less skilled players?

To actually put it in a Halo setting, if I know that an enemy has a BR out, and the start up frames for a melee with the BR requires, say, 10 frames before the active hurtbox is out and I'm susceptible to damage, and I know that a weapon switch requires 3 frames, and I have a pistol secondary with an active hurtbox that occurs after 5 frames for a melee, because I'm a smarter player with more relevant game knowledge, I know that I can switch weapons and melee him for the kill 2 frames prior to him killing me or possibly trading.

Game mechanics are closer than you think.

It's the reason why Justin Wong is just plain godlike at fighting games in general, and not just one fighting game.

u4iX

Oh it's a Bungie update. For some reason I got my chronology all messed up and thought it was going to be a 1up Article. But he joined Bungie before Halo 3 came out.

That doesn't really count

But that's the point...

He joined Bungie and "converted" from actually knowing what made Halo competitive, to spouting bullshit justifying a random spread.

What's the general HaloGAF consensus on BXR taking skill or not? Curious.

INB4 my opinion is wrong again, I didn't think BXR was skillful and glad it never returned in future Halo games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom