• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Madness

OU2d22m.gif
had a gif of this lol.

Halo's a pretty cool guy.

FUNfact: The dude who created Project M is in iXi. He wrote the clone engine which allowed for Roy and hopefully more characters.

May be corny to Chambers, but clubhouses are where great friendships are born. We all wear propeller hats and shit too, pretty neat. -pushes glasses up-

I love the shit outta Smash though. The art style of the new one looks soo good. Sakurai hopefully won't mess this up, but it seems like he's learned some lessons from Brawl (ie: wasting resources on SSE, faster gameplay, etc.).
Hopefully Namco Bandai brings their fighting game expertise to the helm to counteract Sakurai's everyonemustwin mentality.

Madness

Anyone playing the BF4 Beta? The shitty graphics are making me want to just go an pre-order a next gen system already, or build a decent pc lol.

I know it's just a beta, but when you've seen just how better something can look, you don't want to feel like it's a sub-par experience. Especially with regards to Destiny and TitanFall as well too.

FyreWulff

Battlefield betas are legitimate betas and not repackaged demos that get redeployed to Live as a demo after the game comes out.

I wouldn't judge final appearances off a beta.

Madness

Battlefield betas are legitimate betas and not repackaged demos that get redeployed to Live as a demo after the game comes out.

I wouldn't judge final appearances off a beta.

Oh it's not really that. Shouldn't have written shitty. Hell it looks better and more ambitious than most games out. I'm saying, I watched like the fishing in Baku trailer, watched the next gen trailers, makes the game feel a bit inadequate. Doesn't it launch in like 24 days for current gen and like a month and half for next gen?

Which is ironic because a lot of people assumed that Zero Bloom would make it too easy to land shots. But, when your reticule is always pretty small and players have a higher movement speed and better jump height, landing all of your shots takes a bit more effort than just full bloom spamming at their body.

That was the biggest issue with DMR Bloom in Reach, even at full bloom your reticule would be red and you could land body shots, and random headshots frequently. Unlike in Shadowrun (oh my god Booshka STFU about SR being the solution to everything) where a full bloom rifle was literally totally random and highly improbable to land any shots on everything but a Troll.

I think a Shadowrun Rifle with the Movement bloom removed so that the gun fired as if you were crouched and shooting at the proper pace even while moving and jumping for Halo would work well. Make the player models smaller, hitboxes smaller, and tone down the aim assist levels to Halo CE levels and you got yourself a good primary rifle weapon.

Babbys like Tawpgun keep acting like the CE pistol would break modern Halo's because it kills too quick. It doesn't kill too quick, it's not overpowered, the core mechanics of shooting, moving and aiming of CE make landing 3sk's rare and 5-7 shot kills are the most common. That kill time is right in line with where Halo should be, the skill that should be required to land those kills, and the skill gap/ceiling that players can strive for, to consistently dominate lesser skilled players and constantly get better against the best of the best.

If you threw a CE Pistol into Halo 4 with its insanely easy shooting mechanics, little to no strafe, generous hitboxes and huge player models, yes it would break the game. That is why suggesting the CE Pistol as the solution to Halo's problems also suggests that the entire core mechanics of shooting, aiming, and movement need to be revised. Players should be required to learn and get better at mechanics, a true skill gap and ceiling should exist. Josh Menke's amazing ranking and skill matching talents would actually matter because the core mechanics of the game support a proper skill gap. Starcraft 2, one of the most skill based and mechanically sound video games ever created show off this amazing ranking system, because the video game supports the strive toward perfection.

Similar to Halo CE, the casuals can still enjoy the game, and the hardcore dedicated players can strive for perfection with a skill gap that actually respects their time and dedication to perfecting the game.

What about online fairness? How does that factor with you? Tournament LANs and customs with local friends is one thing but online rank or international play is another thing entirely.

So very much of what we all post is tweaks to the systems, weapons, movement, aim assist etc to balance latency between players.

I'm so curious about dedis and next gen with regard to this. I hope 343i continue presentations or ViDocs or bulletins that delve into the specifics.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
Even the Reach DMR? I mean this seriously, considering the vitriol for the weapon (moreover its firing behavior). I haven't been around long enough to learn your opinion, though I suppose I could guess.

The Halo 3 BR was more skilful than the Reach DMR in spite of being a burst fire weapon due to all the other changes made.

Change from non-hitscan to hitscan
Increased aim assist
Slower strafing speed in Reach
Bloom pre-patch

Having to lead shots adds a lot to the skill gap of a weapon. I think the movement speed in Halo is very suited to shot leading with utility weapons as even back in CE it wasn't that fast. If the movement was very fast then hitscan utility weapons would work well imo.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
I don't think enjoying Call of Duty makes one a numptie. It's a very casual shooter, but there's fun to be had despite the low skill ceiling.

Having recently borrowed Black Ops II from my brother, I must say I've been pleasantly surprised by the campaign. There're some neat ideas in there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A108MkAsloY

I'm not referring to the casual just for fun players, more to the huge competitive crowd that religiously play it even though there is barely an ounce of competitive merit or individual skill in the game. Its bizarre.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
What about online fairness? How does that factor with you? Tournament LANs and customs with local friends is one thing but online rank or international play is another thing entirely.

So very much of what we all post is tweaks to the systems, weapons, movement, aim assist etc to balance latency between players.

I'm so curious about dedis and next gen with regard to this. I hope 343i continue presentations or ViDocs or bulletins that delve into the specifics.

The only way to make the online experience more fair is to have regional dedicated servers. The downside of that is that it reduces your potential pool of players but you do get a lot less latency. Online will never be truly fair though as everybody still has different pings on a server.

Omni

I want to play Mass Effect but my mouse is broken
slightly regret buying it on PC
. I want to play GTA Online but it's still a broken mess.

I don't know. Maybe it's time to dust off Halo 4. Haven't played since May or something.

FyreWulff

You're joking. This is a joke, right?

Probably has something to do with the goals from Ricochet? But still, come ooooon.

I tried to play it last night, told me DLC was required, and when I hit the button for DLC it took me straight to the map-only Bullseye offer.

Not surprisingly, every other playlist had hundreds or thousands of players and KotH had 25 people or so in it.

Was honestly pretty miffed at that. I'm not paying 6$ just for one map that's good at KotH to play KotH. Was looking forward to just playing only KotH again :(

I tried the BF4 beta last night and hated it. I don't recall BF3 being so bland without textures and it performed badly. Hoping the PS4 version has a trial, I just might not be into this style of game.

I don't think enjoying Call of Duty makes one a numptie. It's a very casual shooter, but there's fun to be had despite the low skill ceiling.

Having recently borrowed Black Ops II from my brother, I must say I've been pleasantly surprised by the campaign. There're some neat ideas in there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A108MkAsloY
Sometimes I wonder what a Babby version of CoD looked like before CoD 4
250px-Conker_-_Live_%26_Reloaded_Coverart.png

Edit: it's a joke post.

Omni

I tried the BF4 beta last night and hated it. I don't recall BF3 being so bland without textures and it performed badly. Hoping the PS4 version has a trial, I just might not be into this style of game.

BF3 beta was awful without textures. I can still remember the complaints about it, actually.

I'm not actually bothering with the BF4 beta this time. The realisation that I can't get it on next gen has deflated any hype I had with the game. :\

Madness

Don't really know much about the development of Battlefield 4, but how much could really change in what? 24 days? Unless the beta is using a build from months ago and is meant more to test network, matchmaking, any bugs etc.

Omni

Don't really know much about the development of Battlefield 4, but how much could really change in what? 24 days? Unless the beta is using a build from months ago and is meant more to test network, matchmaking, any bugs etc.
That's exactly what it is. It's an old build without the texture pack.

Obviously gameplay isn't going to change much though. Dice will probably use what happens in this beta as starting points for the first major patch that comes with the first map pack.

The Halo 3 BR was more skilful than the Reach DMR in spite of being a burst fire weapon due to all the other changes made.

Change from non-hitscan to hitscan
Increased aim assist
Slower strafing speed in Reach
Bloom pre-patch

Having to lead shots adds a lot to the skill gap of a weapon. I think the movement speed in Halo is very suited to shot leading with utility weapons as even back in CE it wasn't that fast. If the movement was very fast then hitscan utility weapons would work well imo.

With dedicated servers now a reality along with 60fps, I'd love for the DMR to be projectile based without bloom. Hmm, maybe hitscan should be a toggle on certain weapons along with the long-awaited property sliders (ie: Damage, ROF, etc.).

Leading shots is pretty fun and engaging for a shooter, adding more depth to the gameplay.

CyReN

Heads up for those that pre-ordered Destiny for the beta code in-store, Gamestop send me a extra on this morning in a email.

Duji

Failure for me would be things like allowing cheating at levels of Halo 2, abandoning sustain 100%, bugs that make the game literally unplayable, developer communication on the level of secrecy like CCP, that feel of Halo controls being lost, no in game rank for next gen Halo, developer disdain for their own community etc.

A few more questions:
Judging from your posts in the past it doesn't seem like you think H4's population drop was a colossal failure as most of us do. What would the daily peak concurrent population have to drop down to in order for you to throw your hands up in despair (and after how many months beyond launch)?

And on the scale from bad communication to good communication, where does CCP and 343 lie? Which dev is doing the best job right now in your opinion?

TheOddOne

Judging from your posts in the past it doesn't seem like you think H4's population drop was a colossal failure as most of us do. What would the daily peak concurrent population have to drop down to in order for you to throw your hands up in despair (and after how many months beyond launch)?
tumblr_mro2x45Mfm1s96utdo1_400.gif

Can't wait to see this.

heckfu

Banned
A few more questions:

And on the scale from bad communication to good communication, where does CCP and 343 lie? Which dev is doing the best job right now in your opinion?

Peak population of 1 is still ok. People are still playing!

Gui_PT

Pre-order on amazon, get code, then cancel order. They don't charge you until ship so you'll be good.

I would appreciate if someone did this for me because I do not have the ability to pre-order stuff online.

I'm a halo uber-veteran.

I deserve this because of reasons.

That's exactly what it is. It's an old build without the texture pack.

Obviously gameplay isn't going to change much though. Dice will probably use what happens in this beta as starting points for the first major patch that comes with the first map pack.

Yeah, BF3 beta was very similar, looked like ass, very buggy, performance all over the place.

It's clearly a very old build (which they've said is from a beta branch build and not the core one anyways).

That said, as someone that's played a ton of BF3 on the 360 and enjoy the BF4 beta, I have no interest or desire in purchasing it on the 360. Next-gen/PC or bust!

re: skill gaps

I'm proud to say I hate gameplay-altering unlocks. Not just in the grind sense, but in the sense that I literally play shittier when they come into play even when I have all the options available - maybe it's a feedback thing. I hopped on Halo 3 with Menachite and a few other gaffers in the past week or two and I actually did okay. Like, positive KD for more than half of the matches (when in matchmaking anyway). I'd say that's just because nobody plays Halo 3 anymore, but, uhhh... Halo 4's not even top ten in the LIVE charts anymore.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Does preordering from Amazon then cancelling work? I really want a beta code. How long would it take to receive it? Also, what version do I preorder? The Xbox 360 one?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The new Pokemon games come out in a week, and I want to do some tradin' and battlin' with HaloGAF kids. My FC is 0748-2045-5883. Add me~ <3.

And good luck with customs tonight! I can't join in, but I'm stoked that it's going again.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Nothing is charged until delivery for Amazon, right? Not even shipping fees and stuff? I think I might be able to order from Amazon.com instead of .ca

EDIT: Did it and got the code.

Top Bottom