• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

IHaveIce

Banned
Yea he's a nice dude, but stick him to campaign or Spartan Ops. Leave MP alone for people that fully understand it or have experience with Halo prior to Halo 4. Still can't believe he said Halo CE didn't have random respawns and told Ace at H4GC that flinch was better than descoping. It's cool to have opinions but not to the extend where it can be somewhat ignorant.

ZVua6.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I thought CE's spawns weren't all random. There are ways to force spawns for your teammates and enemies by being in a certain area. There are also ways to force spawns to be random for your team. Didn't Nexy make diagrams on all this?

But that no descoping comment is just...ugh.

Fuchsdh

I thought CE's spawns weren't all random. There are ways to force spawns for your teammates and enemies by being in a certain area. There are also ways to force spawns to be random for your team. Didn't Nexy make diagrams on all this?

Yeah even I remember that. Lots of cases on how to know exactly where your enemy will spawn.

You're both right.

On the discussion of Kevin Franklin, damn. I think this time around we'll see more people willing to call BS when we hear things like in this interview. That Infinity Slayer discussion was painful..

heckfu

Banned
All we have tried to do as inheritors of the Mantle—all that will be violated, and Halo will be murdered... because Kevin Franklin does not understand.

jesus christ what

for someone who has posted how much they didn't like halo 4 you picked a really dumb username.

That's correct. Didn't Kevin say there weren't randoms in HCE though?

Akai__

jesus christ what

for someone who has posted how much they didn't like halo 4 you picked a really dumb username.

You know what happened to the last guy who decided to go with the "Didact" username?

He made a terrible and disrespectful joke, about the Boston bombing, back then.

Anyways, I hope we will hear from Halo 5 (or whatever it's called) earlier this time. I don't understand, why they got to make a big secret, about it. Tell us about the multiplayer, at least.

I can't really say since no one really knows but 343. I think the team learned a lot from the missteps of Halo 4. 343 got a lot of smart people with: Quinn, Bravo, Josh Menke, etc so I hope they can rebound from a MP perspective.

I just want to play Halo, even if it's half as good as Halo 3. It's been far too long since there's been a solid overall MP experience for older halo player.

I really wish that I could bug 343's office so I could just listen in on their meeting. I NEED to know what they are doing with the multiplayer. It's going to make or break the decision if I buy and Xbox One.

#Hire Tyson Green

#hireMikeTyson

I'm placing bets on Wahrer alt.

Yeah, that's my unfortunate thinking.

I may shit on stuff but at least I have proper grammar.

minus occasionally speaking in all lowercase like dis

You guys are thinking of the Didact avatar I had from when Revival came out.

BireNyR.png

If I ever have an alt it'll be classy, dammit.

Did he get banned or something.

edit: nope

u wot m8

Has Kevin Franklin ever said anything that wasn't covered in buzzwords and PR crap?
Not once.

Remember the HaloGaf podcast with Tashi, Kevin, Frankie, Bravo regarding Halo 4's MP?

Frankie was Frankie PR talk as usual.

Kevin - buzzwords and PR talk.

Bravo - Completely straight forward with every question asked.

After that podcast Tashi didn't expect the amount of dodged questions. Quite concerning really.

Not once.

Remember the HaloGaf podcast with Tashi, Kevin, Frankie, Bravo regarding Halo 4's MP?

Frankie was Frankie PR talk as usual.

Kevin - buzzwords and PR talk.

Bravo - Completely straight forward with every question asked.

After that podcast Tashi didn't expect the amount of dodged questions. Quite concerning really.

There needs to be more people in the gaming industry like Bravo. Straight forward, active within the community, and accepting to feedback.

I'm so sick of this secretive shit to "build up hype" in terms of Halo. They need to be up front with us and involve us in the creative process when it comes to MP. At least throw up a fucking beta. I don't want another situation where we are stuck with a beta 6 months after the game launches. I want a complete, satisfying, and polished product.

There needs to be more people in the gaming industry like Bravo. Straight forward, active within the community, and accepting to feedback.

I'm so sick of this secretive shit to "build up hype" in terms of Halo. They need to be up front with us and involve us in the creative process when it comes to MP. At least throw up a fucking beta. I don't want another situation where we are stuck with a beta 6 months after the game launches. I want a complete, satisfying, and polished product.

I really like what ACIV does during the story mode, opt in 5 star feedback rating when you complete a mission (memory as they call it). Do a simple 1-3 like this after every multiplayer or campaign match/mission.

1. Enjoyment 1-5 stars.
2. Gametype & map 1-5 stars.
3. Weapons & settings 1-5 stars.

Then have all those dynamic votes for the variant played sync'd over at Waypoint as well as a voting poll with that slight differentiation of actually played vs. just speculating vote. You could also do a secondary opt in more detailed 5-10 questions rating system with the same framework. Bam instant feedback loop and no more in game vs. web forums dilemma either.

This would also work just as well for player based toggles or a developer based playlist system or a hybrid. If they have a beta it NEEDS this feature and then they can do a weekly or monthly infographic in their bulletins, bam community feedback loop too.

IHaveIce

Banned
People who vote for Infinity Slayer over Legendary Slayer or Team Slayer.

This is why we can't have nice things. This fanbase doesn't deserve a good Halo anymore.

Tashi

People who vote for Infinity Slayer over Legendary Slayer or Team Slayer.

This is why we can't have nice things. This fanbase doesn't deserve a good Halo anymore.

They've made the playlist ranked now and offer a top 200 list but as long as Infinity is in the first slot it's going to get picked the most. It's the easiest to abuse. It's the same reason people picked Oddball on Complex. But, clearly most of the people who still play Halo 4 like Infinity so you can't really take it out of MM. What a shitty situation.

... he's just one person. These decisions surely went through many hands.
A good few big names have left, a lot haven't.

Why am I of all people the one doing the defending common sense talk? Do ye not know how frustrating a misfire I find Halo 4? How cynical I am about the franchise right now?
Fuck.

Yes, the multiplayer [and more] is hugely disappointing. We don't need to end up photoshopping his head onto photos of collapsed statues of dictators [or worse].

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I am pumped.

Come at me bros.

Also I promised I would show up for the next OT more regularly. Sorry for absence, but shit has been bananas.

Also if anyone is playing BF4 on Xbone please god help me get some weapons. I am so bad at it. But it lets me be a sniper at my own pace. Which is just as well because I am lucky if I make six decent shots per match.

I am pumped.

Come at me bros.

Also I promised I would show up for the next OT more regularly. Sorry for absence, but shit has been bananas.

Also if anyone is playing BF4 on Xbone please god help me get some weapons. I am so bad at it. But it lets me be a sniper at my own pace. Which is just as well because I am lucky if I make six decent shots per match.

I'm so bad at Battlefield. I get my ass kicked in every game I play. I respect it for what it is, but goddamn if it is enjoyable for me.

Stinkles

I'm so bad at Battlefield. I get my ass kicked in every game I play. I respect it for what it is, but goddamn if it is enjoyable for me.

I am definitely enjoying it, simply because there's so much room and variety. Some of it looks really amazing too. I ALWAYS pick the worst places to spawn tho. Burning boat? Check. Plummeting Copter? Check. Not like it doesn't warn you.

And now of course I consider 60fps an essential aspect of games.

I am pumped.

Come at me bros.

stop playing battlefield

play killer instinct.

you will thank me later.

Tashi

Also, Day[9]'s GDC talk about Streaming and making your game accessible for viewers and streamers came out

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/205198/Video_Making_an_observerfriendly_game_according_to_Day9.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

It's pretty good. He briefly mentions Halo but I don't think he's very informed on the game. He mentions that Halo doesn't have the viewership of the "eSports titles' because it's a more linear game and doesn't really answer the question(when viewing) ,"What would I do differently?" I'm not sure he knows that Halo is played competitively. Actually he should know because there's no doubt he was at the MLG events casting StarCraft with Halo Reach right next to it.

He does talk about some pretty interesting things that you might not think about. For example how the game HUD can help with how the stream looks after the streamer has added his/her webcam and other graphics. It's only 30 min long so it's definitely worth checking out if you guys are into that stuff.

I am definitely enjoying it, simply because there's so much room and variety. Some of it looks really amazing too. I ALWAYS pick the worst places to spawn tho. Burning boat? Check. Plummeting Copter? Check. Not like it doesn't warn you.

And now of course I consider 60fps an essential aspect of games.

I've always respected Battlefield for those big, epic moments that it does. My closest experience of greatness, however, is getting into a jet, flying upside down for about 10 seconds and crashing outside the map.

And also, I figured you might be a fan of 60fps now. ;)

Also, Day[9]'s GDC talk about Streaming and making your game accessible for viewers and streamers came out

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/205198/Video_Making_an_observerfriendly_game_according_to_Day9.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

It's pretty good. He briefly mentions Halo but I don't think he's very informed on the game. He mentions that Halo doesn't have the viewership of the "eSports titles' because it's a more linear game and doesn't really answer the question(when viewing) ,"What would I do differently?" I'm not sure he knows that Halo is played competitively. Actually he should know because there's no doubt he was at the MLG events casting StarCraft with Halo Reach right next to it.

He does talk about some pretty interesting things that you might not think about. For example how the game HUD can help with how the stream looks after the streamer has added his/her webcam and other graphics. It's only 30 min long so it's definitely worth checking out if you guys are into that stuff.

I would tend to agree with him though. I guess I don't know how the higher level stuff works out (I'm not saying that sarcastially or anything). I think maybe it isn't inherently obvious as to what the choices are?

Will check out that link for sure. Love me some Day9.

Because the game is riddled with having to grid kills/XP to unlock ANYTHING, honestly the best way to probably unlock some of the weapons you want and attachments you want for them is probably to go into one of the smaller scale gametypes like Domination or TDM to get to shoot more people in a shorter period of time to get some unlocks quicker and hone your shooting skills in the game.

That said, fuck that noise I usually just play Conquest with 64 players cause it's amazing.

If you're going to be on over this weekend, let's play.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Because the game is riddled with having to grid kills/XP to unlock ANYTHING, honestly the best way to probably unlock some of the weapons you want and attachments you want for them is probably to go into one of the smaller scale gametypes like Domination or TDM to get to shoot more people in a shorter period of time to get some unlocks quicker and hone your shooting skills in the game.

That said, fuck that noise I usually just play Conquest with 64 players cause it's amazing.

If you're going to be on over this weekend, let's play.

I keep trying to get into that but Nutter just keeps wanting to do 24 player rush/no vehicle playlists, haha.

edit: This is also the first BF where I care about doing well with the Sniper. Not that I'm always choosing the class, but whenever I do I'm actually trying this time around.

Tashi

I would tend to agree with him though. I guess I don't know how the higher level stuff works out (I'm not saying that sarcastially or anything). I think maybe it isn't inherently obvious as to what the choices are?

Will check out that link for sure. Love me some Day9.

But I think he's talking about the campaigns when he mentions Halo in the talk. Talks about linearity. Clearly in multiplayer there are many, many occasions where you could ask, "What would I do differently?" Shortly after he talks about viewing experience of linear games like Last of Us.

IHaveIce

Banned
They've made the playlist ranked now and offer a top 200 list but as long as Infinity is in the first slot it's going to get picked the most. It's the easiest to abuse. It's the same reason people picked Oddball on Complex. But, clearly most of the people who still play Halo 4 like Infinity so you can't really take it out of MM. What a shitty situation.
Oh didn't know the ranked thing, of course people want to abuse it then. Thanks for the info.
I am pumped.

Come at me bros.

Yeah I'm also pretty rusty in BF, I don't even understand how to change weapons outside of being in a game ( does it even work now?)

And like plywood said, you do the next OT

stop playing battlefield

play killer instinct.

you will thank me later.
I second this.

I keep trying to get into that but Nutter just keeps wanting to do 24 player rush/no vehicle playlists, haha.

edit: This is also the first BF where I care about doing well with the Sniper. Not that I'm always choosing the class, but whenever I do I'm actually trying this time around.

God damn come play with Fu, Biggy, and myself.

Stinkles

stop playing battlefield

play killer instinct.

you will thank me later.

I did. You know what I love about KI?

You can start chaining combos based on muscle memory from decades of SF, KoF, even MK and ore often than not, you will get real results. So it rewards OG gamers who are doing the "deep" version of button mashing.

I was also stunned to see just how deep the game's combat system is. Like, in some ways the original KI was gimmicky - and it couldn't really hang with the Japanese games in terms of subtlety, but if I'm not mistaken ( and proper fighting game dudes can feel free to correct me) this is actually the real deal.

Stinkles

Yeah I'm also pretty rusty in BF, I don't even understand how to change weapons outside of being in a game .

You can do it in-game, and on the smartglass/companion app/web, but not, for whatever reason, from the main menu. Took me a while to figure out what I was doing wrong.

Tashi

You can start chaining combos based on muscle memory from decades of SF, KoF, even MK and ore often than not, you will get real results. So it rewards OG gamers who are doing the "deep" version of button mashing.

I was also stunned to see just how deep the game's combat system is. Like, in some ways the original KI was gimmicky - and it couldn't really hang with the Japanese games in terms of subtlety, but if I'm not mistaken ( and proper fighting game dudes can feel free to correct me) this is actually the real deal.

Yea you can be a total noob and make cool shit happen on the screen. But the depth is definitely there. Especially with the combo breaker and counter breaker system. You have to mix up and disguise your combos CONSTANTLY. And when you're getting combo'd you have to pay close attention to what combo the other person is doing so that you can Break it properly.

DICE, for reasons beyond the people that play their games, thinks that as many systems as possible should be doable only in-game and not in menus. Party system is an automated system that happens in-game, loadouts can only be changed in-game.

Game needs a fight stick available though, pronto. By game I mean me :)

Top Bottom