• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

TCKaos

I don't even understand why I come here anymore. I've played Halo once in the last two months. It went from being the reason I ran home from school to something I can't stand to look at anymore.

Was it me, guys? Was it me? Did I grow up?

Znh2Ka5.jpg

daedalius

I don't even understand why I come here anymore. I've played Halo once in the last two months. It went from being the reason I ran home from school to something I can't stand to look at anymore.

Znh2Ka5.jpg

Have you seen your avatars? :p

TheOddOne

I am pumped.

Come at me bros.

Also I promised I would show up for the next OT more regularly. Sorry for absence, but shit has been bananas.

Also if anyone is playing BF4 on Xbone please god help me get some weapons. I am so bad at it. But it lets me be a sniper at my own pace. Which is just as well because I am lucky if I make six decent shots per match.
Chris-Farley-Smile-to-Shock-Reaction.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Brad should come on HaloGAF Radio and we can talk about this stuff in more detail. It's makes for such an interesting conversation.

And I do really appreciate him chatting about this stuff like this on Twitter. We don't get this often and I think I can speak for others when I say we are eating it all up right now.

J10

Banned
Please let me know when one of them confirms the omission of loadouts, perks, and armor abilities from the next title.

Please let me know when one of them confirms the omission of loadouts, perks, and armor abilities from the next title.

Would you not agree over the last year we've already seen this with Halo 4? IMO expect a more balanced launch approach with dedicated playlists/modes for 3-5 core audiences in the next main Halo MP title.

Brad should come on HaloGAF Radio and we can talk about this stuff in more detail. It's makes for such an interesting conversation.

And I do really appreciate him chatting about this stuff like this on Twitter. We don't get this often and I think I can speak for others when I say we are eating it all up right now.

Agree with all of that and not to be a suck ass but I reckon you're a great competitive voice but fair to other fan game modes ambassador mate. I'd certainly give that HaloGAF podcast a closer listen than usual.

Tashi

Whoa just saw that Adam Pino just went to Bungie like 2 weeks ago. He was a programmer on H4. Met him at NYCC '12. Very nice guy. Totally answered any and all Halo and programming related questions I had. Best of luck to him!

Nebula

I played BF:BC2 and BF3 and still have no idea how to be in a party. I just joined the game hoping to be on mu friends team and joined/made a squad.

BF needs a lobby system like COD/Halo. It's so much simpler and it works.

Also I have a choice of what console I get at Christmas. If you're going to drop any bombs 343
Frankie
I'd do it before Christmas.

m23

I played BF:BC2 and BF3 and still have no idea how to be in a party. I just joined the game hoping to be on mu friends team and joined/made a squad.

BF needs a lobby system like COD/Halo. It's so much simpler and it works.

Also I have a choice of what console I get at Christmas. If you're going to drop any bombs 343
Frankie
I'd do it before Christmas.

Yeah I'm having the same problem, I jut have to hope when I start up a game that me and my friends are on the same team.

J10

Banned
Would you not agree over the last year we've already seen this with Halo 4? IMO expect a more balanced launch approach with dedicated playlists/modes for 3-5 core audiences in the next main Halo MP title.

No. I expect the next title to carry forward 4's shortcomings and be further fucked up with a free-to-play pricing model on multiplayer maps, cosmetics, and weapon loadouts after paying $60 at retail for a 5 hour campaign and a stagnant Forge mode, which will probably cost them $120million to produce and market.

Znh2Ka5.jpg

That is an amazing picture.

Now I want to play Halo 3, that shit needs to get on Steam already.

Talents

Banned

Znh2Ka5.jpg

Nope, I'm pretty sure I haven't played Halo 4 since February, and even then it was only for a few games before I realized why I hadn't played it since it came out.

Fuchsdh

Also, Day[9]'s GDC talk about Streaming and making your game accessible for viewers and streamers came out

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/205198/Video_Making_an_observerfriendly_game_according_to_Day9.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

It's pretty good. He briefly mentions Halo but I don't think he's very informed on the game. He mentions that Halo doesn't have the viewership of the "eSports titles' because it's a more linear game and doesn't really answer the question(when viewing) ,"What would I do differently?" I'm not sure he knows that Halo is played competitively. Actually he should know because there's no doubt he was at the MLG events casting StarCraft with Halo Reach right next to it.

He does talk about some pretty interesting things that you might not think about. For example how the game HUD can help with how the stream looks after the streamer has added his/her webcam and other graphics. It's only 30 min long so it's definitely worth checking out if you guys are into that stuff.

As much as it love Day9 he really doesn't know anything about Halo. FPSes are simply not as spectator friendly out of the box compared to the gods-eye-view of RTS and MOBA.

Still a very interesting talk on other points. Thanks for sharing.

As much as it love Day9 he really doesn't know anything about Halo. FPSes are simply not as spectator friendly out of the box compared to the gods-eye-view of RTS and MOBA.

Still a very interesting talk on other points. Thanks for sharing.

His points about CS relate directly to Halo though. He stated that, in CS, players had to come up with their own callouts for maps like Dust2 and because they weren't obvious to spectators, kinda fails at being great to watch. Apply this to Halo and you have all sorts of callouts that mean absolutely nothing to anyone looking at the screen.

He says stuff like being able to view things the players can't is also important and shows the importance of something like the top down view in CS being exciting for spectators as they can see the tension and then watch as the players act on that tension.

Sure, it sounds like he has a weird idea of Halo, but yeah some stuff was totally related.

Why are 343 so obsessed with having two different versions of Halo in one game? TU and vanilla, three shot pistol and four shot pistol, Infinity and 'pro'. We've been down this path before and this is what happens: They create everything around the aspects of 'modern' Halo that gut the nuances that make it great. Then they reduce and deplete and call it the pro or competitive mode. They're working backwards from the wrong position. Halo's 2 and 3's vanilla modes weren't that different from the MLG settings. Reach and Halo 4 MLG is literally a completely different game. Tired of this catering to both sides BS. Still, much easier to design gimmicky super hero abilities and sprawling asymmetrical sand ditches for idiots to sprint around in than it is to design great, classic maps and thoughtfully balanced weapon layouts.

His comment about creating a competitive ranked arena environment gives me hope, but I don't think 343 still understand what made BTB great. BTB is at it's best was always classic Halo with bigger maps and more vehicles. Halo 3 BTB is the perfect example of how it should be. The greatest moments in BTB are when absolutely crazy things happen due to interaction between weapons and vehicles in the sandbox. For example, I was playing customs one time with some friends, and I used the Spartan laser on a guy taking the mongoose through the man cannon on Valhalla, he died obviously from the laser, and the destroyed mongoose crushed another guy on his team coming towards my base. We still talk about moments like that when we play Halo today. I feel like 343 has tried to force those moments into happening by adding tons of crazy stuff to the BTB sandbox, like everyone running around with a power weapon in Infinity Slayer. Tons of power weapons and vehicles aren't what make BTB great, it's the moments when elements of the sandbox collide perfectly to create moments that can only happen in Halo.

Those are some nice and encouraging words from Brad Welch. I'll leave it at that for now, i will have to see the game and know some concrete info to see if they learned.

https://twitter.com/bradford_welch/status/405990865601961985

JsqPjZq.png

Hopefully this is an indication of a return to old school glory days etc.

Infinity Design Director @ 343.

Edit: SCREW YOU HECKPOO, I HAVE IMAGE, I WIN FOREVER.

Dammit, Heckfu.

CONFIRMED HEAVIES LOVE.

Dat Tashi.

Awesome to see all of this today. Wow.
Hope we get more encouraging discussions like these again.
Lol

Add Bravo & Quinn too!!

This is true, they have more multiplayer designers on their staff. I wonder how much they are now lifting. The campaign team did most of their work internally, if I'm not wrong.
This gives so much hope for 5's MP

I would really love to hear that.

Happy Thanksgiving HaloGAF!

Madness

The disparity between so-called casual and hardcore was too wide for Halo 4.

Casual should be normal Team Slayer and Hardcore should be MLG type settings where everything from weapon spawns and health/movement is set specifically for competitive play.

Contrast that with Infinity Slayer and Team Throwdown/Slayer Pro.

One mode has loadouts and perks that have huge impact on gameplay, it has random ordnance spawn and personal ordnance where you can have like 2-3 people on each team rocking heavy power weapons at any given time.

The other has friendly fire enabled, no personal ordnance, no loadouts, set weapon spawns, no radar etc. Someone looking for more competitive play in Halo 3 could jump in and out of team Slayer, big team battle and MLG or objective. The same can't be said for someone jumping from infinity straight to slayer pro.

As for the progression system. It wasn't bad because it ended too quickly for most, it was bad because it was tied to game altering features and special promotions that completely ruined it. Look how many folks went around stores taking photos of doritos bags. I remember a few OT's back, someone using 200+ matches of double XP and playing Spartan Ops mostly, and then complaining when they reached SR-130.

Juices touches on this point a lot. Why would he want to play, when someone who's either had promotions or played more, gets to have no flinch, while he has to grind to SR-70+ just to even it out.

gAg CruSh3r

His comment about creating a competitive ranked arena environment gives me hope, but I don't think 343 still understand what made BTB great. BTB is at it's best was always classic Halo with bigger maps and more vehicles. Halo 3 BTB is the perfect example of how it should be. The greatest moments in BTB are when absolutely crazy things happen due to interaction between weapons and vehicles in the sandbox. For example, I was playing customs one time with some friends, and I used the Spartan laser on a guy taking the mongoose through the man cannon on Valhalla, he died obviously from the laser, and the destroyed mongoose crushed another guy on his team coming towards my base. We still talk about moments like that when we play Halo today. I feel like 343 has tried to force those moments into happening by adding tons of crazy stuff to the BTB sandbox, like everyone running around with a power weapon in Infinity Slayer. Tons of power weapons and vehicles aren't what make BTB great, it's the moments when elements of the sandbox collide perfectly to create moments that can only happen in Halo.

I felt like that's what really killed Halo 4 BTB is everyone had the ability to have over powering weapons and also had the ablity to choose a long range weapons. This creates a system where it's more duct and shoot battles. Instead of press forward into battle movement. IMO Halo 2 had a perfect amount of BTB movement. The maps were large enough that people can get to point A to point B with out getting into a fight in a long range battle. This is due to the BR spread at a long range point. I think there needs to be more spread at a point with some of these newer weapons such as the DMR ,LR, and maybe Carbine. This is all IMO.

Edit: Happy Thanksgiving HaloGAF

BigShow36

Dat Tashi.

The problem is that "competitive" doesn't mean slapping a ranking system on a playlist and calling it good. "Competitive" starts with the gameplay, and if you don't have that then of course your faux "competitive" playlist is going to have low population.

Also, that si_lumb guy is an idiot.

https://twitter.com/bradford_welch/status/405990865601961985

JsqPjZq.png

Hopefully this is an indication of a return to old school glory days etc.

These tweets just made me so happy.
I really hope they execute on Halo 5.

I like the sound of a split hardcore arena and big team. Been hoping for that to happen for a while, it would be best for both styles of gameplay if they would stop trying to blend them. Especially in whatever next gen game they are making where the scale will inevitably continue to grow.

Tashi

The problem is that "competitive" doesn't mean slapping a ranking system on a playlist and calling it good. "Competitive" starts with the gameplay, and if you don't have that then of course your faux "competitive" playlist is going to have low population.

Also, that si_lumb guy is an idiot.

I gotchu bro

redir

xkxAduG.gif
is a strange company. They implement genius features like the reload animation mechanic and omit things like party managment.
Yeah basically the game itself is completely awesome, but the game features surrounding it are mostly "what are you thinking"? DICE is pretty good at making those baffling decisions with where you can make loadouts, how parties work, and generally the worst menu UI's you can imagine.
The disparity between so-called casual and hardcore was too wide for Halo 4.

Casual should be normal Team Slayer and Hardcore should be MLG type settings where everything from weapon spawns and health/movement is set specifically for competitive play.

Contrast that with Infinity Slayer and Team Throwdown/Slayer Pro.

One mode has loadouts and perks that have huge impact on gameplay, it has random ordnance spawn and personal ordnance where you can have like 2-3 people on each team rocking heavy power weapons at any given time.

The other has friendly fire enabled, no personal ordnance, no loadouts, set weapon spawns, no radar etc. Someone looking for more competitive play in Halo 3 could jump in and out of team Slayer, big team battle and MLG or objective. The same can't be said for someone jumping from infinity straight to slayer pro.

As for the progression system. It wasn't bad because it ended too quickly for most, it was bad because it was tied to game altering features and special promotions that completely ruined it. Look how many folks went around stores taking photos of doritos bags. I remember a few OT's back, someone using 200+ matches of double XP and playing Spartan Ops mostly, and then complaining when they reached SR-130.

Juices touches on this point a lot. Why would he want to play, when someone who's either had promotions or played more, gets to have no flinch, while he has to grind to SR-70+ just to even it out.

Agreed.

Something like a go-to Team Slayer playlist/gametype shouldn't be wildly different than a "hardcore" one. Hell, just look at the gametypes in the Team Slayer playlist right now. There are literally gametypes in the same playlist with wildly different settings. I don't think that kind of fragmentation is a good idea.

I told you guys. Someone from 343 drops a few little tidbits of things you want to hear and people get excited lol. Now imagine when they start showing clips and drip-feed you the info we've been dying to hear for a long time now..

Halo 3 BTB is the perfect example of how it should be.

Crazy strong vehicles, terrible BR to defend yourself with, broken equipment like the Bubble Shield, lag, inconsistent gameplay.. the list goes on.

H1 + H2 BTB >

EDIT:
I like the sound of a split hardcore arena and big team. Been hoping for that to happen for a while, it would be best for both styles of gameplay if they would stop trying to blend them. Especially in whatever next gen game they are making where the scale will inevitably continue to grow.

Yeah I actually do too. In reality, how difficult is it to design great Halo gameplay? We, as a fanbase, have been doing it for years, but Bungie/343 haven't (they've willingly chose not to respect the years of knowledge people like us have been posting on forums). You just have to be conscious of not messing up the formula like how 343 had the Halo gameplay down, but decided to scrap it and go with loadouts and perks.

AR/Pistol starts from CE and build from there. Make all the other weapons map pickups unless you want people to spawn with a BR in BTB or something. This would allow for easier balancing since you don't have to water weapons down for spawning purposes (ie: Light Rifle could replace the DMR by being 3x, BR could have tighter spread and a faster kill time with less auto aim, Boltshots didn't need to be nerfed, they just needed to be taken out of loadouts, etc.).

What are the chances we see Halo 5 at VGX?

Halo something at VGX for sure, otherwise what the heck is Microsoft doing?

And btw Munish, that Spawn Glacius alt ;]

daedalius

Make halo more like quake-ish arena you say?

Yea please!

I really hope Carmack leaving Id doesn't affect quake arena coming out on steam soon.

Top Bottom