• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I won like 80% of 4K+ games of Reach, obviously their ideas panned out for abandoning ranks.

You didn't play Arena?!

Also, if any of you guys are watching Awesome Games Done Quick (you should be) they will be doing a Halo 2 run at 2:20 AM Eastern after midnight tonight. Times can change of course depending on how the runs are being performed.

It's directly after Resident Evil 4. It seems to be the only Halo game that will be done at this year's event.

Stream is here: http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda

Schedule is here: http://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

edit; It's being done by Mister Monopoli

This is worth reading, a solid post from a member who knows the lore very well. It's certainly an aspect I had never considered.

Also why are y'all concerned about Halo not being on the lists? It's already confirmed time and time again for 2014, of course MS/Xbox want to promote everything else without creating a wait to buy an X1 for HX1 conundrum. It's just marketing to promote X1 and the games available now or very soon so they have the stage for now.

When Halo drops it will for the most part dominate the X1 marketing landscape, there is plenty of time for all things Halo.

@Speedy - I agree 343i have a shit-ton of assets now, it's why there was so much change with Halo 4. All that hard work was prep for next gen and studio/IP building. Now they have in house experience, designs, code, blah, blah and they should really be able to move past feature parity into next gen new developments/designs IMO. I'm expecting more "new progress" with HX1 as opposed to 4's "redesigning" mantra.

I also received a holiday ordnance package from 343i and it was a great surprise. It sounds very similar to Tashi's presents from the HaloGAF podcast. Here's what I received:

1. Mega Blocks Spartan toy (yes I confirm they take finger strength to put together).
2. Some avatar codes (you know you want Palmer avatar armour)
3. Spartan Assault code
4. A various 343i signed XMAS card with a Mister Chief motif
5. UNSC K5 ONI badge (like a jacket sew on badge)

So thanks 343i for the holiday wishes, I've only gotten 1 mission into SA so far but I'll get through it well before HX1 drops.

You didn't play Arena?!

Also, if any of you guys are watching Awesome Games Done Quick (you should be) they will be doing a Halo 2 run at 2:20 AM Eastern after midnight tonight. Times can change of course depending on how the runs are being performed.

It's directly after Resident Evil 4. It seems to be the only Halo game that will be done at this year's event.

They're still about $1500 away from the incentive to play it on Legendary unfortunately.

Halo was always "slow". Also they made H4 faster for other reasons...

But the gameplay of CE was no where near as slow as later Halo games. I'm not only talking about walking speed and jump height. Switching weapons in Halo 3 felt so damn slow.. painfully slow. In CE I used to walk around punching walls, pressing YYYYYYYYYY (rapidly switching weapons) if I wasn't in action just because I liked keeping my fingers active. That kind of speed was taken away in later Halo games while killtimes were increased, inconsistencies increased, depth was taken away, etc. etc.

Come on, man. Nightfall is virtually a remake of Truth and Reconciliation. New Alexandria is Two Betrayals. The game literally ends where Halo: CE began. No, the multiplayer suite wasn't anywhere near what CE was, and it was never going to be, but with the campaign it's pretty obvious where they drew the bulk of their inspiration.

I have a really strong feeling they've made comparisons to CE speaking about the campaign and exploration (stepping onto the ring for the first time, stepping onto Requiem), but I guess it's just anecdotal since I can't link to any videos... so yeah. I'm wrong. :(

Yeah they were definitely talking about campaign for some of that, but gameplay was not as similar to CE as I'd hoped (where it counts IMO) nor was the multiplayer, even Anniversary although that was more fun than base Reach gameplay.

My personal favorite gameplay from Reach was from that classic playlist using Forge maps.

TheOddOne

Instead, it is an otherworldly apparition conjured by the evil, Lovecraftian terror of the Gravemind.
That makes me think of this scene from Halo Legends: Origin Part 2:

jbbE2rEIQylWF2.png

“There is a danger in secrets, both in seeking and in knowing. Some things are meant to be hidden from view. You see, some mysteries defy understanding and sometimes the things we know are untrue.”

Oh is that how it works? That's a bummer.

Yeah. They're going to play it, but as a way to induce more donations and make a game of the donating process, they have bidding wars / donation incentives. This page will show the current state of the Halo 2 bids. Usually bidding for stuff coming up soon will increase as you get closer if the bidding isn't met yet, so there's still plenty of time.

TheXbox

But the gameplay of CE was no where near as slow as later Halo games. I'm not only talking about walking speed and jump height. Switching weapons in Halo 3 felt so damn slow.. painfully slow. In CE I used to walk around punching walls, pressing YYYYYYYYYY (rapidly switching weapons) if I wasn't in action just because I liked keeping my fingers active. That kind of speed was taken away in later Halo games while killtimes were increased, inconsistencies increased, depth was taken away, etc. etc.
I'm curious by what you mean when you say "inconsistencies". What's more consistent about CE than Halo 2 or 3?

NOKYARD

You didn't play Arena?!

edit; It's being done by Mister Monopoli

I setup a page for the Awesome Games Done Quick Halo 2 stream and added a local chat box.

Mistel

Banned
Have I opened a dangerous can of worms or am I just being daft?
Not really it's not that bad I asked the same question to Funkown. I'd at least read it before making an opinion, of it positive or negative.

Reach BTB hasn't been that bad, apart from the few full parties I ran into. Anniversary multiplayer is still pretty much empty :(.

Yo what the fuck 343. You're basically Microsoft, where's my free Christmas Card?

Not surprised Ozzy and Tashi are the only ones here who got Christmas cards. ;P Enjoy them guys. Pretty special and nice gift from 343. :)

Ghazi

Yo what the fuck 343. You're basically Microsoft, where's my free Christmas Card?

Not surprised Ozzy and Tashi are the only ones here who got Christmas cards. ;P Enjoy them guys. Pretty special and nice gift from 343. :)
Fuck, dude you've contributed more money to Microsoft than either of them. If I were you I'd write to them, demanding a Christmas Card to put by the 465th Xbox One and copy of Halo 5 for upstairs!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Actually I think quite a few of us got cards. Some even got cookies.

But yes, it's very nice.

The only thing his posts do to me is make me sad that he still isn't working for 343i.

His stories, among many other fan fictions I have read, can create a story far greater than what we saw with Halo 4. To be honest though, I want MC to do his own thing that doesn't involve Cortana. Maybe have him stumble upon something that'll involve her, but not an entire game saving her or something of the sort.

I'm curious by what you mean when you say "inconsistencies". What's more consistent about CE than Halo 2 or 3?

Start here and PM me or talk in there if you have any specific questions. As you can see, some people here are tired of reading my posts about CE.

Fuck, dude you've contributed more money to Microsoft than either of them. If I were you I'd write to them, demanding a Christmas Card to put by the 465th Xbox One and copy of Halo 5 for upstairs!

lmfao

Gonna have to slurp harder this year so I get dat Christmas card.

Now now play nice mister HGS avatar man ;)

Reading Funknown's thread and Fyre's replies I respect Fun's passion for CE and agree with a good chunk of his OP but Fyre is the reality kick in the pants of online play. I totally agree the plasma rifle should have stun back and other tweaks like strafe acceleration increase over bullet magnetism increase. Melee sucks online. Period.

CEA had a ton of colour compared to Halo 4 but if you want a darker tone to the game the colours have to be toned down, perhaps a more varied mission by mission design is a better fit.

but Fyre is the reality kick in the pants of online play.

My goodness the ignorance from some of the people in this thread.. Once again, I never said I wanted a remake of CE online using the same exact engine.

Posting in here seriously feels like posting on Bungie's forums between 2004-2010.

heckfu

Banned
My goodness the ignorance from some of the people in this thread.. Once again, I never said I wanted a remake of CE online using the same exact engine.

Posting in here seriously feels like posting on Bungie's forums between 2004-2010.

take a deep breath, nothing on neogaf matters even days after it's posted. all will be forgotten and we'll all be ok.

Ramirez

Did people make up fake online persona's on there too?

m23

I already have so many games to play but I'm itching for some Halo. Trying my best not to spend money on Spartan Assault.

I still think Karl is an idiot, but there's a point where you pack your bags and go home. It's over Funk, just go gracefully.

DtHg3Fd.jpg

EDIT:
Did you really just post that
I am furiously masturbating to the CE Pistol right now.
image.php

I start no quarrels here, yet some of you have an agenda. How about trying to counter some of the posts I make with some legitimacy? Not by putting words in my mouth and using strawman arguments.

Sofa King

I still think Karl is an idiot, but there's a point where you pack your bags and go home. It's over Funk, just go gracefully.

I hop in here from time to time to see if anything interesting is being talked about Halo-wise. It always seems to be the same: Some guys who like to make others feel as if they are not welcome in their HaloGaf. Kinda weird if you ask me, but maybe it's just the general drama of the community.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I hop in here from time to time to see if anything interesting is being talked about Halo-wise. It always seems to be the same: Some guys who like to make others feel as if they are not welcome in their HaloGaf. Kinda weird if you ask me, but maybe it's just the general drama of the community.

I'm not arguing against Unknown's stuff because I honestly don't care, but shit like this

...does no one any favors and comes across as incredibly rude and self-absorbed.

I've actually received several PM's from people telling me that same thing.

And no, don't "Ozzy show me the PM's!" me because it's not happening.
I'm not arguing against Unknown's stuff because I honestly don't care, but shit like this
So you don't post anything critical but love to make fun of people? Yet I'm the bad guy, right?
...does no one any favors and comes across as incredibly rude and self-absorbed.
How am I self-absorbed? I was just disappointed in Ozzy because I even pointed that out in the OP, not to mention several times in both threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom