• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

What's wrong with Metro, or Forza's menu? They're fucking flawless. The design is presented nicely, it looks simple, and it's functional.
ibmrmrfAyBqp7Q.gif

:p

blamite

Wait is this still a thing on HD tvs? I really have to read up on this.

Not to that degree, but my TV has a god inch or so of overscan. Not a big deal because pretty much everything keeps that safe area clear, but it'd be nice to have that extra space used.

Do the PS4 or Xbone allow you to adjust overscan at all? I really love that the Wii U has a system-wide setting for adjusting for overscan, I just had to zoom out one level and I get 100% of the image for every game.

What's wrong with Metro, or Forza's menu? They're fucking flawless. The design is presented nicely, it looks simple, and it's functional.

I almost tag quoted you there. But I want to add a bit of insight.

The Metro UI is PERFECT for touch devices. It's simple, it's intuitive, it works.

But for software with no touch peripherals, it feels clunky and awkward. It feels unnecessary for a bunch of big icons to take up the screen, especially when it worked perfectly fine in the past with things like Reach. It felt functional, and simple. Just as UIs should.

I almost tag quoted you there. But I want to add a bit of insight.

The Metro UI is PERFECT for touch devices. It's simple, it's intuitive, it works.

But for software with no touch peripherals, it feels clunky and awkward. It feels unnecessary for a bunch of big icons to take up the screen, especially when it worked perfectly fine in the past with things like Reach. It felt functional, and simple. Just as UIs should.

Metro works with a pad fine actually. Its for W8 on a pc that it doesn't work.

Gui_PT

kYFu7E3.jpg

You could potentially have something like this to show who was in a party with who. It doesnt work on a quick glance like Halo 3 but it's not dependant on everyone been on the same team either.

Why would you want such a busy screen?

Clean and simple with an easy interaction is best.

FyreWulff

I hope they bring the veto system back cause fuck playing the same map over and over and over. This was my problem with Reach MLG playlist literally Sanctuary 24/7 it got pretty boring.

It's possible to set it up so the same map doesn't appear after a veto. I'm assuming MLG requested that the same map be available after vetoes.

This was actually the reason Collonade showed up way too much when Maption Sack first ran in Halo 3. When people would veto, Halo 3 went "oh, people don't like Sandbox... let me find a different map.. well, the other different map is Foundry", which happened to pretty much just be Collonade. The fix to that was to turn off the map ban behavior.

The main reason I included something like a player card was to speed up the time it took to check player stats. I've frequently seen people on streams or in real life try to check the KD of everyone in a game during the pregame menu and either miss voting or not finish checking before the game starts. This way you can scroll down and not have to go between screens. It also makes use of largely unused sections of the screen.

Yeah it's about presenting the "right" and essential information in a way that's easy to see and read. Trying to present all the info possible on one screen without any changes is difficult at best, and probably just a flat out bad idea most of the time.

Halo example: Now it would be nice to be able to display specific rules of a game with a button press, I don't think always having detailed rules of the gametype on the screen is a very good idea. It's just a lot of text in a small area.

And on the flip side, having the player cards in Reach only show when you move over the right side of the screen is a good example of allowing you to see that info if you want, but not placing it on the screen at all times.

those aren't even close to being real lol.

edit: it's from a fan made thing http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/1l1oyr/fan_made_halo_game_coming_to_the_pc/
So that's 2 fan made Halo games coming out using CryEngine 3?

http://venerance.net/

I thought/misremembered (it seems) Fyre said those mockups wouldn't work because older tvs would make them horrible small (what would be a nonissue now since HDMI is the only output we have.
A lot of people probably have their TVs set to 16:9 instead of "Just Scan" still.

Omni

Talking about frame drops...

Halo 2 Vista has been terrible. It goes from a rock solid 60fps down to like 9fps randomly. No idea what's causing it. Both campaign and multiplayer

So that's 2 fan made Halo games coming out using CryEngine 3?

http://venerance.net/

Venerance seems dead dead.

90% (percentage from my ass) of mods/total conversions/games do that shit. Product some okay looking work. Never get public attention. Never get anywhere close to being anything playable. Die.

Look at all the stargate mods for HL2 for example.

The problem is people who have the ability to craft great stories and gameplay ideas never have the skills required to follow through and people with the skills are most likely employed at least 9-5 doing that shit so they don't want to do it during free time.

FyreWulff

I thought/misremembered (it seems) Fyre said those mockups wouldn't work because older tvs would make them horrible small (what would be a nonissue now since HDMI is the only output we have.

Anniversary abused the fact that your game only needs to render correctly in the safe title area:

lMLUL.jpg

dat clipping

That Halo 5 trailer at the Super Bowl* is gonna be so good. Great marketing strategy 343.

*Source (my ass)

Whip it out and show us what you're made of.

Got a half-chub brewin', growin' as we speak. Just lemme go shower and power up Photoshop for the havoc I'm about to wreak. As far as function and flow are apropos, I think you should be allowed to pick; y'all can call me Reddit 'cause you about to be double dicked.

Gui_PT

The main reason I included something like a player card was to speed up the time it took to check player stats. I've frequently seen people on streams or in real life try to check the KD of everyone in a game during the pregame menu and either miss voting or not finish checking before the game starts. This way you can scroll down and not have to go between screens. It also makes use of largely unused sections of the screen.

Well if the player card is just a button press away and you can scroll though them easily, that problem would be solved.

Yeah it's about presenting the "right" and essential information in a way that's easy to see and read. Trying to present all the info possible on one screen without any changes is difficult at best, and probably just a flat out bad idea most of the time.

Halo example: Now it would be nice to be able to display specific rules of a game with a button press, I don't think always having detailed rules of the gametype on the screen is a very good idea. It's just a lot of text in a small area.

And on the flip side, having the player cards in Reach only show when you move over the right side of the screen is a good example of allowing you to see that info if you want, but not placing it on the screen at all times.

I agree.
Hope we get the gametype rules/explanation back but as you said, being able to show or hide it.

Seriously wahrer put in a legit effort to making a UI. I wanna see what you can pull off.

Freestyling aside, I'm gonna do a srs (albeit minimalist) dual-purpose custom game lobby UI. I just got done at the gym, let me clean up / possibly stuff my face and I'll get cracking.

Mistel

Banned
You did, you actually did. I forgot how to play Territories, I didn't know what to do xD
Well that's justification for game type information right there. It's literally stand in the maker don't die and capture them. And for the defender's just shoot the those who forget that they have no cover which is a lot of them.

Fuchsdh

Venerance seems dead dead.

90% (percentage from my ass) of mods/total conversions/games do that shit. Product some okay looking work. Never get public attention. Never get anywhere close to being anything playable. Die.

Look at all the stargate mods for HL2 for example.

The problem is people who have the ability to craft great stories and gameplay ideas never have the skills required to follow through and people with the skills are most likely employed at least 9-5 doing that shit so they don't want to do it during free time.

Yeah it's a shame. In this case I think it's more a case of being infatuated with a final product and changing their mind. At some point you have to stick with a set of achievable goals.

HTupolev

Anniversary abused the fact that your game only needs to render correctly in the safe title area:

lMLUL.jpg

dat clipping
If CEA's shotgun clipping is safe area abuse, it's pretty crappy safe area abuse; if I switch my TV from Just Scan to 16:9, some of the clipping is still visible.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Reach has some great modded gametypes.

There's a Reach version of Gun Game: http://www.xboxchaos.com/topic/3794-weapon-wielders/

Another gametype lets you do tons of stuff, like spawning AA Shade Turrets, Chaingun Falcons, attach objects, add trait zones, change object and player scale, etc: http://www.xboxchaos.com/topic/3766-bonus-slayer-gametypes/ Newer version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgpQbzTwXEA Newest version can spawn a Pelican on Spire and Target Designator on Anchor 9.

Reach needs more modded gametypes. It feels like it has so much more content than Halo 4. Plus it has the Falcon.

Well that's justification for game type information right there. It's literally stand in the maker don't die and capture them. And for the defender's just shoot the those who forget that they have no cover which is a lot of them.
Yeah now I know. I'm such a bad player at Reach... omg.

I just noticed I showed up in Stalker's UI demo. The fuck is "Wareh," anyway? You're not the only one that's used it. Is that some kind of European thing I'm missing, or is it just a corruption of wahurrurur that caught on?

Also, just a warning: my UI mockups are shooting for efficiency, accessibility, overall appearance and indication of Microsoft first-party affiliation, not necessarily "classic Halo." You'll take your Segoe UI and like it, dammit.

"How to dismiss everyone's criticism" - a short story by Speedy Blue Dude

I'm not dismissing anything, I'm asking what people find issue with in the flat Metro design. I personally think it looks beautiful, so I'm curious.

Thank you Stalker, Noble, Blam, etc for actually responding to me in a serious fashion.

I use Metro everyday on my Windows Phone and I absolutely love the design of it, which most of you guys seem to think Metro works great on Mobile, so that's not an issue.

Using Metro on both my Xbox One and Laptop/Desktop daily, I still don't see an issue with them. Once you "organize" your tiles on your PC, launching programs is a simple (Windows Key + Move mouse and click) or even (Windows Key + first letter+ enter). This may or may not be less productive than the start menu/icons, but it still works really well and I don't mind using it.

TheXbox

I'm not dismissing anything, I'm asking what people find issue with in the flat Metro design. I personally think it looks beautiful, so I'm curious.

Thank you Stalker, Noble, Blam, etc for actually responding to me in a serious fashion.

I use Metro everyday on my Windows Phone and I absolutely love the design of it, which most of you guys seem to think Metro works great on Mobile, so that's not an issue.

Using Metro on both my Xbox One and Laptop/Desktop daily, I still don't see an issue with them. Once you "organize" your tiles on your PC, launching programs is a simple (Windows Key + Move mouse and click) or even (Windows Key + first letter+ enter). This may or may not be less productive than the start menu/icons, but it still works really well and I don't mind using it.
I think it looks gross and it reminds me of Windows 8 which is doubly gross. Reach had the perfect UI, all 343 has to do is copy it.

belushy

Banned
You always have paint?!

I mainly mean that I don't have the creative juices flowing like some of these guys do. I have ideas in my head, but I can't translate it well to something visual for others to see. Well, and because I'm kind of lazy.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah now I know. I'm such a bad player at Reach... omg.
At least I you didn't betray me :D, I killed the guy who was trying to take the sniper I had and wasted a bullet :(.

This may or may not be less productive than the start menu/icons, but it still works really well and I don't mind using it.
It is far less productive and just a hassle to use in my opinion, if your trying to do something.

heckfu

Banned
I mean we laid out our explanations about how it was often cumbersome in menus and redundant for information. Then I even went in how I didn't think it would work for halo. After that we discussed better alternatives for UI in the next halo game and people posted examples. Shortly after that you asked what was wrong with it.

Hope that helps you navigate the past couple pages.

A set of design principles is just that. It's actual application can come in various forms and levels if effectiveness.

Halo 4 doesn't adhere to a couple of the key principles of Metro UI, which is why I'd hesitate to call it that at all. Either way, it does a poor job of presenting the important information on screen, which is a major no no.

I mean we laid out our explanations about how it was often cumbersome in menus and redundant for information. Then I even went in how I didn't think it would work for halo. After that we discussed better alternatives for UI in the next halo game and people posted examples. Shortly after that you asked what was wrong with it.

Hope that helps you navigate the past couple pages.

Quality UX joke you nerd!

Seriously, that's pretty good.

Fuchsdh

I think it looks gross and it reminds me of Windows 8 which is doubly gross. Reach had the perfect UI, all 343 has to do is copy it.
I find the venerance for Reach's UI odd considering it's mostly wasted space and canted, harder to read text. It's style over substance.

At least I you didn't betray me :D, I killed the guy who was trying to take the sniper I had and wasted a bullet :(.

It is far less productive and just a hassle to use in my opinion, if your trying to do something.
That game was so shitty... ugh. I was taking a walk while everyone was killing each other.

Its beautifully simple. Its very peaceful to look at. I love it.
I love simple. But yeah, it's really really peaceful to look at.

-PXG-

I saw this on FB, I presume it to be fake since no source was posted at all. I searched on GAF and on Google. Nothing came up

6c0h5EQ.jpg

Gang Wahrer said:
I just noticed I flossed up in Stalkerz UI demo. Da fuck is "Wareh," anyway, biatch? Yo ass aint tha only one thatz used dat shit. Is dat some kind of European thang I be missing, or is it just a cold-ass lil corruption of wahurrurur dat caught on?

Also, just a warning: mah UI mockups is blastin fo' efficiency, accessibility, overall appearizzle n' indication of Microsizzlez first-party affiliation, not necessarily "funky-ass Halo." You'll take yo' Segoe UI n' like it, dammit.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I like your mock-ups Stalker but they are a bit too busy. Regardless, going back to Bungie's tried and true classic Halo UI is a must.
I agree. Streamline and clean it up a bit and it'd be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom