• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chettlar

Banned
How is it complicated, busy, or wordy?

Yeah. God forbid if people want to know gametype settings

The issue here is that once I know what a gametype is, I usually don't need the entire thing explained to me every single time.

Like, I already know this: "You're party is set to invite only, so no one will be able to join until you send out invitations. Press Y and select a player to send a party invite."

It could just be reduced to "Party: Invite only," which then leads to a bunch of unused space on the right side of the screen, making it appear unbalanced.

And gametype settings are easily relegated to pressing something like whatever the Back button is now, like in Forza Horizon.

This too:

to be fair, hypothetical i did plan to show those on the screen after voting ended

Madness

VSqPGjd.jpg

Here is the Destiny menu UI, it's sort of a Reach meets Metro design. Don't know exactly how it will look for matchmaking with map/playlist details.

I would want Reach menu UI as a basis for Halo 5 ideally. Anything would be better than the current Halo 4 UI.

IHaveIce

Banned
Nice job Staler, here's Rambles from last year

http://i.imgur.com/Ax0ed.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mQrAm.jpg
This is what I meant earlier, this is just awesome, it feels like a evolution of the old UI
http://i.imgur.com/VSqPGjd.jpg

Here is the Destiny menu UI, it's sort of a Reach meets Metro design. Don't know exactly how it will look for matchmaking with map/playlist details.

I would want Reach menu UI as a basis for Halo 5 ideally. Anything would be better than the current Halo 4 UI.
I also really like this design and it probably will work really well.

Chettlar

Banned
Yes, the Spartan would show if you went over a player name if I remember correctly.

That could certainly work. I just don't know how I feel about having the names sort of in the middle of the screen. I think I like the list over on the far edge, but other than that, this is a great mock up.

Whip it out and show us what you're made of.

Yeah, why not?

The counterargument is made pretty often, though most eloquently by Halsey in the Halo 4 prologue (it's worth asking if she actually believes it; she certainly takes some level of pride in the Spartans if not their actual use, but her actions in Ghosts of Onyx are entirely at odds with her original goals.)

It's not rocket science--you either think that the ends justify the means or you don't. As Halo fans it's a lot easier for us to say it does when the laws of plot essentially made the Master Chief the sole reason humanity survived.

"Do ends justifying the means?" could have been an infinitely more interesting discussion though, rather than being treated as a foregone conclusion in most character's minds. I would have liked to have seen some sort of Halsey's advocate character (maybe and Edward Teller to Halsey's Oppenheimer) to add some perspective, because it's easy to dismiss her perspective on herself. I mean, people are still arguing about the strategic bombing of cities in WWII, and that killed a lot of real people (including- spoilers- children) for much more ambiguous results.

Overall, I think she's been clumsily handled so far and Kilo 5 has been telling us what to think more than giving us food for thought, which is a shame.

Chettlar

Banned
It is a variation of the poor H4 UI. Art makes everything look good, but functionality actually benifits the overall experience.

Again, barring matchmaking (since the video does not show that), how is the campaign main menu any less functional than, say, Halo 3? It should take just as long to make your way through those four boxes than Halo 3's menu selections, and certainly neither is difficult.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Well the idea is as it's a menu screen that just takes you into different aspects of the game, might has well use the space given to you on the screen.

But the issue with 4's menu UI isn't with a main menu screen, it's with the multiplayer lobby screens, so none of this is actually a very good comparison.

That Forza menu is pretty blah, but I like the AC one.
I don't think taking up the whole screen necessarily works. I think FIFA pulls it off well, tho. The jumbo sized squares reminds me of stadium signs, and it fits the game's feel. The Forza and AC ones feel out of place in comparison.

Fuck Metro

Pt4k6I1.jpg

Player card changes based on highlighted player
Something like this would be great.

anni slayer peeps
Kicking myself for selling my 360 :(

TheOddOne

Again, barring matchmaking (since the video does not show that), how is the campaign main menu any less functional than, say, Halo 3? It should take just as long to make your way through those four boxes than Halo 3's menu selections, and certainly neither is difficult.
Problem with the H4 UI design is that does not effectively convey key information fast and buries info in other popups.

Now look at H3 design:

29474250.jpg

You instantly see: you can instantly switch to another lobby (such as multiplayer, forge), Network (local or multi), the mission, the difficulty, the amount of player that are in the lobby and campaign and normal option. Huge amount of info given, without it feeling overwhelming, is done gracefully here.

Scooby

I hope they bring the veto system back cause fuck playing the same map over and over and over. This was my problem with Reach MLG playlist literally Sanctuary 24/7 it got pretty boring.

Chettlar

Banned
Problem with the H4 UI design is that does not effectively convey key information fast and buries info in other popups.

Now look at H3 design:

29474250.jpg

You instantly see: you can instantly switch to another lobby (such as multiplayer, forge), Network (local or multi), the mission, the difficulty, the amount of player that are in the lobby and campaign and normal option. Huge amount of info given, without it feeling overwhelming, is done gracefully here.

Which is why I have repeatedly said in this thread that I think 3 has the best MM UI of all halos out to date, and stand by it.

But let's look at this compared to the mockup.

Notice how many words are on the screen. An important thing in UI design is a lack of words. Symbols, colors, shapes, and the like are supposed to prevail (I have a brother and two friends working in and/or studying about this type of stuff).

Switch Lobby: ...kind of unnecessary, and I really never ended up using it. It takes literally no time at all to press "B" back to the main menu and then select the menu you want. The issue here is that in Halo 3 pressing B (and then A to confirm) took you out of the lobby. The simple way to fix this is to allow players to access all menus of the game without necessarily leaving a lobby. Instead, have the player simply press Y or something for lobby options and then "Leave Lobby." And even if you wanted to keep Switch Lobby, why not relegate it to X and have the roster just normally displayed on screen.

Network: No reason this needs to be in the main line of selections. Skulls (and hopefully campaign scorring is something I'm going to access much much more often. This could easily be relegated to X or Y, depending on what you do in the previous point.

Mission: I see no advantage in putting this vertically vs the first option I'm going to select horizontally. In fact, having it the default selection makes a lot more sense, since if I'm going to go into "Campaign" instead of "Resume Campaign" then that is most likely because I want to change the mission.

Difficulty: The mock up does this perfectly fine.

Edit Campaign Options: The mock up calls this the skulls menu. As I said before, this seems a lot better of a choice, since I'm going to use it much more often then network settings.

1 player (16 max) [roster]: Already mentioned this should be in the main menu instead of off in a submenu. I think the mock up is easily modified to include this.

And last of all we have the picture that shows what mission is selected, the difficulty, and what rally point. This is all easily shown in the box called "Mission" in the mockup. In fact, it already is. Just add the rally point, and we're good (the difficulty is already listed under "Difficulty").

TL:DR: the Mock up is just as functional (if not more in some cases even) than Halo 3's design. Since I like Halo 3's design, obviously this means I really like the mockup.

All of this for campaign, forge, etc. Multiplayer needs something more like Stalker or Cyren's mockups.

EDIT: didn't see the arrow pointing down earlier. Not sure if I like that. I'd rather have them show up on the main screen, ala Halo 3 sort off. Maybe in the top right corner of the screen showing up to 4, and then if there were more than that, extending to the left so a second (or third or fourth) set of four would show in the top right (again, with the original four just to the second 4's left)

blamite

Nice job Stalker, here's Rambles from last year

Ax0ed.jpg

mQrAm.jpg
This would be practically unreadable at the distance I sit from my TV. It'd probably work well on a PC monitor, but there's definitely too much information on screen at once, some of it redundant. I can definitely see the intent but that just doesn't all need to be visible at one time.
Fuck Metro

Pt4k6I1.jpg

I like this a lot. I'm imagining that once a map is selected some of the Halo 2-esque details will show up on the left side.
just use Halo 2's UI with Reach's active roster and call it a day.

live-in-the-next-generation-the-trueskill-system-20051028115404257-000.jpg
This is still a really good UI but kind of outdated in it's current state, a new version of it would benefit from a simpler background (less overlapping blue pieces, gridlines), widescreen resolution, and Reach's Active Roster/player view on the right side.

Ghazi

Reach was pretty much the best, every other Halo had great lobbies for their times, but looking back on 2 & (to a certain extent) 3/ODST, they don't seem as fine as Reach's.

Fuck Metro

Pt4k6I1.jpg

zSeX97S.jpg

Expanding upon the first image.

"X" switches the player card to the party menu. You can kick players, change privacy options here.

Once a map is selected it moves to the top postion and the previous area is filled with the game settings.

Sai-kun

Banned
I like the idea of showing who's with who in a party but I think that it takes up too much space in the middle for just that.Maybe if it was a bar that pulled up when you pressed a button over someone's name?

Ghazi

I like the idea of showing who's with who in a party but I think that it takes up too much space in the middle for just that.Maybe if it was a bar that pulled up when you pressed a button over someone's name?

Hmmm, similar to Reach's, Reach did it awesomely.

Wow. Now that would work very nicely. Whoever made that deserves a job stat.

It has Stalker's name all over it... So I assume it's his.

Chettlar

Banned
Yup. A few people seem to be ignoring the name.. w.e

I felt sort of dumb when I saw that for the first time lol.

EDIT: I think the main thing I like about Stalker's UI is it fits everything nicely, while still conveniently allowing other things to take the place of those that are not relevant at that point in time, like the voting vs. game stats for example, all while not being particularly cluttered at all. Everything that is important is at the forefront.

#HireStalkerUKCG

TheOddOne

A) Why not both? H3 had two options too. Lobby switching was pretty fast, if I remember correctly.

B) Knowing whether you are playing online or local is important for people who might want to play split screen or lan.

C) No, by doing it this way it makes sure that the “Resume Campaign” stays one-button click away for returning to the game. With your suggestion it becomes another sub-box where player could accidently make unwanted mistakes.

D, E, F ) I dislike that it has to go to a whole new menu for it. H3 topdown sub-menu system was perfect, because it is fast and stays in the campaign menu.

That mockup forgets that pretty does not mean it is functional and fast. It neglects that information that is important to the player should be conveys fast and effective and let the player not be encumbered and get as fast as possible back in the game.

gAg CruSh3r

Fuck Metro

Pt4k6I1.jpg

I enjoy this the best. I know a lot of people like the Halo 3/Reach UI but personally I did not like it as much. Idk if people seen Titan Falls UI. I enjoyed that a lot.

Can you show pictures from the Titan Fall alpha?

What's wrong with Metro, or Forza's menu? They're fucking flawless. The design is presented nicely, it looks simple, and it's functional.

Metro UI stinks. It's cumbersome and it lacks features because of how big each icon is required to be. It's fine on something like say a windows phone where you directly interact with the icon via touch and you have a lot of space to tap to access something but when you are using a fine touch device like a selector cursor or a mouse it serverly limits productivity. It's style over substance.

Caayn

The thing I'm missing with these fan made mock ups is the ability to see if other players are in a party with players that are also in the lobby. H3 had the colored bar stretched along players that were in the same party, Reach also did this.

You can see it perfectly in this picture, that Bully77Bones and Ferrex are in a party together the same goes for Evil Otto and New001. And that Phlegm Brulee and Abo Froman SK are playing without a party.

Edit: Reach showed it on the player cards

blamite

What's wrong with Metro, or Forza's menu? They're fucking flawless. The design is presented nicely, it looks simple, and it's functional.

They're good for when you're just making simple choices, like what mode you want to start, but for something like a matchmaking lobby where you're mainly using it primarily for viewing information, like a list of players or map choices or 10+ playlists it gets really cumbersome. There's just more information than a Metro UI can effectively present.

JRH1R6B.png

Halo 3 had those bars on the ride side of players' names that connected people on a party, only problem with that is I don't think it works when players are split across teams. I guess you could just only have it so that when you hover over someone, everyone else in their party has that bar or an icon or something show up by their name.

Mistel

Banned
This Post Brought To You By the Microsoft Xbox One™, The All-in-One Entertainment System (You knew it had to happen:p)

But metro is awful though, fine for tablet's but on a laptop or a desktop it's cumbersome otherwise, I just use the main desktop view instead.

kYFu7E3.jpg

You could potentially have something like this to show who was in a party with who. It doesnt work on a quick glance like Halo 3 but it's not dependant on everyone been on the same team either.

Omni

This is still a really good UI but kind of outdated in it's current state, a new version of it would benefit from a simpler background (less overlapping blue pieces, gridlines), widescreen resolution, and Reach's Active Roster/player view on the right side.

I think it looks quite good in Halo 2:Vista. Nice and simple
a6z5.png

but yeah. Just slap active roster / player view on the side and it would be pretty damn solid.

Caayn

It looks good, depending on how it's used, and it certainly looks simply. But it's a boring design.

Metro can be cool if they allowed us to change the location, size, and what is displayed. Let's say use metro to give us a template for customization of the menu layout.

IHaveIce

Banned
Everyone that is posting a mockup also has to remember the screen safe zones on TVs.

Courtesy of Fyrewulff:
rzcMGDf.jpg

Wait is this still a thing on HD tvs? I really have to read up on this.

I thought/misremembered (it seems) Fyre said those mockups wouldn't work because older tvs would make them horrible small (what would be a nonissue now since HDMI is the only output we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom