• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

So, who thinks the DMR will be back in halo 4?

Didn't someone (David?) allude to another precision weapon with a circular scope? Hence the square one on the BR, to distinguish the two better?

I dunno... It's not like I dislike the DMR (tagging guys in SWAT with a single, precise shot can be very satisfying, for instance), but I think Ghaleon did a great job explaining in what way the DMR hurts the sandbox (I think that was an article on FUD...).

So, if it does return, I'd like to see quite a number of adjustments.

Money's on the pistol (and/or a new alien weapon) being the one-shot weapon(s) to which Frankie alluded in the OXM interview.

Was there anything new in that interview? You're talking about the latest issue, aren't you?

Striker

Wouldn't mind a 3x scoped Carbine as a pick-up weapon for those long range single shots. A new Forerunner type rifle is what I imagine we'll get.

Money's on the pistol (and/or a new alien weapon) being the single-shot weapon(s) to which Frankie alluded in the OXM interview.

That's what I assume we'll get as well.

There will be a magnum in the game, so you might as well have that be the single shot headshot weapon for the human weapon sandbox.

heckfu

Banned
Why would you follow French football? So many better leagues :( I'll start watching French teams (well, Montpellier at least) when Montpellier makes it to the Champions League! *fingers crossed*

Well, briefly, the league isn't about money completely. Whereas the Premier League and La Liga have turned to bankrolls to fund teams and stay atop the boards most French teams scout youth from within their own country to play for them when they age. Sure, EPL has better talent but they also pay for it.

Striker

Undone.

Anyway, no 3x rifles please. All they do is push the combat out and allow players to ping each other across the map. Not to mention the detrimental effects on campaign.
Which is why I said pick-up. I'm not sure what we'll see, but I rather see a weapon like that than a Focus Rifle-esque re-appearance. How many weapons from Halo 1 to Halo 2 to Halo 3 to Halo: Reach have been exactly the same? Only the Plasma Rifles and SMG come to mind (from Halo 2 on), everything else has been changed either in a pretty significant manner (Rockets, Pistol, even Brute Shot) to something minor, and I'm sure this won't be any different.

Don't confuse a pick-up weapon later to the 3x scope DMR now, because 1) it isn't going to be a universal starting weapon and 2) it won't flip/wreck vehicles (frankie pls).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Battle Rifle : 2x zoom, recoil, relatively poor accuracy.
DMR : 3x zoom, bloom, highly accurate when paced.
Pistol : 2x zoom, no bloom, no recoil, very fast rate of fire, but small ammo clip.
Alien Carbine : ???

All four shot kills.

Pistol : 2x zoom, no bloom, no recoil, very fast rate of fire, but small ammo clip.

All four shot kills.
Pistol should be a 5sk with a 12 round mag imo.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Please don't let there be death nades in Halo 4. I'm so sick of killing someone and then seeing a frag shit out of their crotch while they're dead and it hits me.

Yeah yeah latency, lag, excuses, bla bla. It's 2012, P2P netcode should be God-tier across the board or dedicated servers.

Kuroyume

Banned
Undone.

Anyway, no 3x rifles please. All they do is push the combat out and allow players to ping each other across the map. Not to mention the detrimental effects on campaign.

The movement speed has be increased so that won't be a problem... Not that it ever bothered me personally. Always felt that complaint was a myth.

There should be a 4x scope.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
DMR with bloom in H4?

I would be more shocked to find a DMR with bloom in H4 than I would be if I woke up tomorrow and my dick was missing.

Yeah yeah latency, lag, excuses, bla bla. It's 2012, P2P netcode should be God-tier across the board or dedicated servers.
We should have flying cars, too. There's only so much the designers can do for games played over the general internet. And dedicated servers don't eliminate latency, nor do they necessarily reduce it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Pistol should be a 5sk with a 12 round mag imo.
I'd be okay with that.

I think 3x zoom definitely discourages player movement across all game modes. Would DMRs being pick-up weapons be enough to alleviate that problem? I think they can (and will) play a role in the sandbox without being too disruptive.

343 already said that we shouldn't rule out bloom being in Halo 4. Can't find the quote right now, gotta go catch a bus!

Overdoziz

Banned
We should have flying cars, too. There's only so much the designers can do for games played over the general internet. And dedicated servers don't eliminate latency, nor do they necessarily reduce it.
I'd rather play connected to a stable host than some mexican kid with .1 upload.

GhaleonEB

I tweeted like 10 times. It was nuts.
My twitter feed was like a mini-HaloGAF for a while there, complete with bitching. It really helped pass the time!

at least I baited David Ellis into teasing that there might be some actual goddamn Firefight changes coming up before Halo 4 releases. woohoo!

lybertyboypotatoes.jpg

Havok

I'd be okay with that.

I think 3x zoom definitely discourages player movement across all game modes. Would DMRs being pick-up weapons be enough to alleviate that problem? I think they can (and will) play a role in the sandbox without being too disruptive.
It should also probably be noted that the scope being more powerful doesn't mean that the weapon's effectiveness at range can't be mitigated. Bloom was one way to do that, but having rounds drop over time or disappear at a certain range, having a slow rate of fire, or taking more shots to kill would also help keep the weapon from being annoying. A six or seven shot kill DMR that can fire at long distances with a capped relatively low rate of fire would be useful as a harassment weapon, but wouldn't necessarily damage the sandbox.

Having said that, I wouldn't really like to see gratuitous weapon redundancy that Halo 3 and to a lesser extent Reach were packed with. Spiker, Plasma Rifle, SMG all filling the same role, one that was also filled by the AR and Plasma Repeater? Just seems crazy to me. Not a fan of the hammer existing outside of the Grifball scene either.

I don't envy the folks in charge of weapon balance. Trying to make weapons that work at intended ranges without being too effective seems hard. Making them all interesting to use seems even harder.

I'd rather play connected to a stable host than some mexican kid with .1 upload.
I'm with you, man, but the cost of running dedis in a game as big as Halo has got to be huge. I think turning every player into a potential dedi is the way to go. You can excercise quality control from the game itself, and you can detract from idlers by offering incentives to run your box as a dedi when you're not playing. This would also be a much more robust environment than a server farm in the Pacific Northwest USA.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Doesn't the Sniper Rifle have less aim assist than other weapons? If so, couldn't the DMR just have less aim assist? That would make it difficult to use at close range, but it'd work perfectly at a distance.
edit: Eh, now that I think about it, not a good idea.

All four shot kills.

Oh my. Let me fix.

Battle Rifle: 2x zoom, recoil, 4 shot kill, 36 round mag (12 bursts per mag)
Pistol: 2x zoom, recoil, 4 shot kill, 12 round mag
Some alien weapon similar to carbine/NR

This is assuming we are having custom loadouts in 4, so let people choose their starting weapon. For this purpose, the main difference between the Pistol and the BR is single shot vs burst fire, so people can choose their weapon based on which one they prefer.

Havok

Doesn't the Sniper Rifle have less aim assist than other weapons? If so, couldn't the DMR just have less aim assist? That would make it difficult to use at close range, but it'd work perfectly at a distance.
People are concerned about it being too effective at long range in Reach, which is a valid concern. The range at which it's currently problematic (very long range) is beyond aim assist range anyway - killing someone across the map when the reticule isn't red isn't very difficult, so changing that just means that the midrange performance is affected.

GhaleonEB

3x scope = garbageeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Yup.

All four shot kills.

My thoughts based on a mix of what we know and speculation:

Battle Rifle: 2x zoom, burst fire, mild recoil, fast rate of fire, no spread, medium firing rate. 4sk when all shots land
DMR: 2x zoom, single fire, very precise for headshots, but slower rate of fire (compared to BR). 4sk (I'm okay with the DMR going bye-bye, but I'm including it as 343 has said the BR isn't replacing anything. Seems redundant with the BR included.)
Magnum: 2x zoom, rapid rate of fire, shorter accuracy range, more shallow clip. 4sk

TheOddOne

343 Industries: Halo 4 is a “Reboot” Not a “Reset”
Speaking at Microsoft’s Spring Showcase in San Francisco recently, Josh Holmes, Halo 4’s Creative Director, was keen to settle Halo fan's nerves the world over and push the notion that Halo 4 was a “reboot” and not a “reset.”

“We don’t want to simply imitate what’s been done before,” said Holmes. “We need to find our own voice and give ourselves the freedom to take chances and really push things forward.

“In some ways you can think of Halo 4 as a bit of a reboot,” Holmes continued. “It’s not a reboot in the sense of well-known film franchises in Hollywood like Batman or Star Trek or Bond. The difference there is really that we’re not pressing reset on the story, we’re not resetting the state of the universe. This is a very deliberate continuation of events that have transpired in Halo 1, 2 and 3.”

Halo 4 is as much about taking the series forward as being faithful to the canon, noted Holmes, with 343 keen to put their own stamp on the popular Microsoft franchise, but not at the expense of everything that Bungie has laid down before them.

“One of the things that’s really important for us is to have that connective tissue fictionally, and then maintain consistency with the canon that’s been laid across the universe.”

Halo 4 is scheduled for a holiday 2012 release. In the meantime, well until E3, check out our first impressions of the title and the latest trailer to get up to speed.
LOL misleading title.

Fuchsdh

It should also probably be noted that the scope being more powerful doesn't mean that the weapon's effectiveness at range can't be mitigated. Bloom was one way to do that, but having rounds drop over time or disappear at a certain range, having a slow rate of fire, or taking more shots to kill would also help keep the weapon from being annoying. A six or seven shot kill DMR that can fire at long distances with a capped relatively low rate of fire would be useful as a harassment weapon, but wouldn't necessarily damage the sandbox.

Having said that, I wouldn't really like to see gratuitous weapon redundancy that Halo 3 and to a lesser extent Reach were packed with. Spiker, Plasma Rifle, SMG all filling the same role, one that was also filled by the AR and Plasma Repeater? Just seems crazy to me. Not a fan of the hammer existing outside of the Grifball scene either.

I don't envy the folks in charge of weapon balance. Trying to make weapons that work at intended ranges without being too effective seems hard. Making them all interesting to use seems even harder.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that Halo 3 and Reach suffered from a baroque sandbox. Going back to CEA reminded me of how nice it was to have a simple sandbox. I never had to worry about "is the Spiker better than the SMG? What about dual-wielding a SMG with an AR?" The only weapon I'd like back from Reach is a tossup between the Plasma Launcher and Needle Rifle, but if we get a stronger, smaller sandbox I'm fine with losing both.

The hammer was fine from a balance standpoint, but I've never really missed it on a map. There are better power weapons.

Since GAF was down I decided to get in the spirit and played my first MLG game...
QtbA3.png

Top Bottom