• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

My thoughts based on a mix of what we know and speculation:

Battle Rifle: 2x zoom, burst fire, mild recoil, fast rate of fire, no spread, medium firing rate. 4sk when all shots land
DMR: 2x zoom, single fire, very precise for headshots, but slower rate of fire (compared to BR). 4sk (I'm okay with the DMR going bye-bye, but I'm including it as 343 has said the BR isn't replacing anything. Seems redundant with the BR included.)
Magnum: 2x zoom, rapid rate of fire, shorter accuracy range, more shallow clip. 5sk

I assume that the combination of 'BR is not replacing anything' and that we will apparently have custom loadouts in H4 will mean that there will be a handful of starting weapons that you can choose to spawn with in H4. Because of this, we may see some intentionally repetitive weapons that are starting weapons (possibly BR for burst and DMR or Pistol that is basically the same weapon but single shot).

I don't really understand your Magnum suggestion though. On one wants a weapon with a tiny little clip, I think Reach proved that quite clearly. Clip size is a huge deal in Halo, and even if the weapon is stronger, clip size is a massive handicap (and also a stupid cap on individual skill gap).

Also about people mentioning bloom, didn't Jessica mention in a bulletin that none of the weapons in Halo 4 currently have bloom like Reach's bloom?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
RANDUMBS

jkgtoiwhn43oithio34yhyth0o4h

'kjdnglksfd'lknf

edit:

Oh my god match me up against a team of four and you give me a guy and his guest and some fuck who couldn't load 3 maps so he got kicked out.

Wow.

Wow.

RANDUMBS

jkgtoiwhn43oithio34yhyth0o4h

'kjdnglksfd'lknf

All I see is your -6.

:p

There is 10 days left of juicy, sweet, and beautiful stat tracking and vids on Bnet until we are dumped into the harsh unforgiving train wreck that is Waypoint and I have 6 render minutes left. If anyone needs a clip rendered just give me a shout.

GhaleonEB

I assume that the combination of 'BR is not replacing anything' and that we will apparently have custom loadouts in H4 will mean that there will be a handful of starting weapons that you can choose to spawn with in H4. Because of this, we may see some intentionally repetitive weapons that are starting weapons (possibly BR for burst and DMR or Pistol that is basically the same weapon but single shot).
Makes sense.

I don't really understand your Magnum suggestion though. On one wants a weapon with a tiny little clip, I think Reach proved that quite clearly. Clip size is a huge deal in Halo, and even if the weapon is stronger, clip size is a massive handicap (and also a stupid cap on individual skill gap).
I didn't say a tiny little clip, I said more shallow, as compared to say the 15-rounds in the DMR. A magnum that had a clip of 10-12 rounds but could drain it faster than the BR or DMR; faster firing rate, more frequent reloads being part of the tradeoff with the weapon. I also meant to say 4sk with it, not 5, that was a typo.

Also about people mentioning bloom, didn't Jessica mention in a bulletin that none of the weapons in Halo 4 currently have bloom like Reach's bloom?

Yeah, I think it's been mentioned a few times now. Bloom as implemented in Reach will not be utilized.

Finished Godfather 3, wasn't as bad as I was warned it would be! (Mr Squid!)

Though I went into it with expectations not very high, also sofia coppola is very, very beautiful!

Just looked how much PAX East would cost me to get to boston, The flight is around £500 without, tickets and hotel and stuff id be running in the £1000+, whelp :(

Ill never get to chill wit mah GAF bro's

Edit: £700 per person for PAX prime without tickets and hotel and FOOD.

Maybe when im rich

I didn't say a tiny little clip, I said more shallow, as compared to say the 15-rounds in the DMR. A magnum that had a clip of 10-12 rounds but could drain it faster than the BR or DMR; faster firing rate, more frequent reloads being part of the tradeoff with the weapon. I also meant to say 4sk with it, not 5, that was a typo.

Still seems like a poor way to just handicap a weapon in my opinion.

Striker

So people can ping me across the map and I can't do anything about it? That's a worse alternative to everyone having a 3x rifle. I would imagine that becoming very annoying very quickly.

My two complaints still stand, pick-up or not.
If they made it more like the H2 Carbine, rather than the power of the DMR, the complaints wouldn't be as fierce, I imagine. I believe 2's Carbine was an 8SK (7sK)?, which would work better in terms of balance since its long range and headshot capabilities.

The BR having no spread, hitscan, and 4SK would be pretty fantastic.

Tawpgun

Aw pewp.

343 isn't on the expo floor and they don't have a panel. :(

I guess there's the Xbox booth but its probably going to be kinect bullshit.

Sai-kun

Banned
Hoppin' on da train:

My Twitter name is @Sai__kun (two _'s because Sai_kun is taken by nobody :()

I mostly tweet about music, concerts/events, crap i find on tumblr, lbgt stuff, and it's one place where I post any stuff I do as a DJ :) I think I follow most HaloGAFfers. (hi heckfu)

Wow after seeing the Sundance interview it's pretty clear halo reach is done on the circuit after this event. Kthe mlg forums are raging right now and I almost agree with them. People nearly sold out the event and thats pretty impressive. It seems like mlg is all about sc2 now.

lol Bioware is changing the ending to ME3?!

Haha

Link
No. Press can not read.
Building on their research, Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You’ll hear more on this in April. We’re working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we’ve received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.
http://blog.bioware.com/2012/03/21/4108/

Pretty vague if you ask me. He said nothing about: "New ending dlc coming".

Not booking it just curious, i dont have anywhere near the funds for that. Shit sucks still.

$60 tickets are not to bad but accommodation would violate me financially id imagine
Save the money, book the flight early, share the room with HaloGAFfers. You are going to save a bunch of monies, if you are planning to attend PAX sometimes.

Edit.: Anyone wants to play?

Risen

I'd rather play connected to a stable host than some mexican kid with .1 upload.

There's only so much the designers can do for games played over the general internet. And dedicated servers don't eliminate latency, nor do they necessarily reduce it.

Man speaks truth.. in fact for some, their online experience could be worse on dedicated servers depending on where a regional server is located, coupled with the location of the players in the game.

Over... if you were in my party and we were playing with Devo and Omlet... we would likely get a west coast server with a bunch of other kids from the west coast on the other team. No matter how stable that is, you wouldn't like it at all. As it is now, you have a chance of hosts that are 2-3000 miles closer to you - and depending on the time of day, Euro- hosts. That likely goes away with dedi's.

Booshka

Wow after seeing the Sundance interview it's pretty clear halo reach is done on the circuit after this event. Kthe mlg forums are raging right now and I almost agree with them. People nearly sold out the event and thats pretty impressive. It seems like mlg is all about sc2 now.

He said it's not all about how many people are at the event competing, it's more about stream views. I guarantee another stage and stream dedicated to SC2 would be more profitable for MLG than dedicating it to Reach. It's impressive that the competitor turnout is so high, but it's in the best event for Halo (Columbus) and it probably won't be repeated anywhere else. Who knows what the stream numbers will be, but I bet they would be much higher if it was a SC2 Orange or whatever color stream rather than Reach.

Risen said:
Over... if you were in my party and we were playing with Devo and Omlet... we would likely get a west coast server with a bunch of other kids from the west coast on the other team. No matter how stable that is, you wouldn't like it at all. As it is now, you have a chance of hosts that are 2-3000 miles closer to you - and depending on the time of day, Euro- hosts. That likely goes away with dedi's.
Worldwide Dedicated Server farm locations for Halo 4

Hawaii
California
Texas
North Carolina
Iceland
Germany
Japan

Make it happen 343

It's something.

OXM said:
Also in this issue, the fruits of our explorations at this year's Microsoft Spring Showcase and Game Developer Conference. Look out for Halo 4, Forza Horizon, Minecraft, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Fable Heroes previews, plus new thoughts on Max Payne 3, The Witcher 2, Darksiders 2, Fez and Dragon's Dogma, the game Matt won't stop blathering about.

Link

Expectations are in check.

CyReN

Killa KC found this at MLG Columbus, It's a sign.

X56M0.jpg

If they made it more like the H2 Carbine, rather than the power of the DMR, the complaints wouldn't be as fierce, I imagine. I believe 2's Carbine was an 8SK (7sK)?, which would work better in terms of balance since its long range and headshot capabilities.

The BR having no spread, hitscan, and 4SK would be pretty fantastic.
You can make it 10sk and the problems of pushing the combat out and dinging players across the map will still be there. It might work if you treat it like a power weapon or implement it with Vanilla Reach bloom, but without something to handicap it? It'll only lead to annoyances.

We all know you'll just be rocking the BR anyways like a sensible fellow.

Well if there is a single shot weapon that is of equal power and clip size, I'll probably end up rocking that more often, but who knows at this point.

I find that the pistol is a much more refined and elegant weapon, but I would support the BR if it was more akin to the version in Halo2.

Pistol is the weapon of a gentleman, and ruthless killing machine of the gentleman.

zap

Worldwide Dedicated Server farm locations for Halo 4

Hawaii
California
Texas
North Carolina
Iceland
Germany
Japan

Make it happen 343

Ouch. That would be terrible for NZ/Aus players... However even adding some Aus ones, I'm not sure that I want to be stuck playing with the same few hundred people over and over, which the server farms would cause... :/

Campaign Talk below, Ignore it if your only concern is BR clip size

Just played crysis for the first time, Looks nice and gameplay is pretty solid.

It did however get me wondering, The outdoor environments concept art for Halo 4 and the very few in game images we have seen all look fantastic, But will Halo 4 go back to the "roots" of halo

The sense of awe and wonder that each level (bar a very select few) in Halo CE created was one of the reasons the game had as much impact as it did, You had literally zero idea what was around the next corner, starting up AotCR in that shaft then getting outside in the snow was an amazing experience. Halo CE also had that Alien(the movie) feeling, its Military Sci Fi Horror in a way i suppose and Fear of the Unknown is a large element in that you have no idea what anything is or whats truly going on.

The successors to Halo CE all did things very well but none have captured that sense of wonder and fear like CE did. They became closer and closer to Space Opera Sci Fi (except reach i dont know what that is) and their is nothing wrong with that at all

However the two do not have to be mutually exclusive, Halo 4 could still inject those horror elements and fear without becoming Dead space and it could still retain the Space Opera feel that has continued to push the franchise forward.

Mainly however i want that sense of wonder back that we got from Halo CE

Less a gangster movie than a cops and robbers crime saga, but I echo the recommendation none the less.

Yeah, it got nominated for a Gangster award anyway and the genre's blur quite a bit and its a great movie, even if it is 2h 50m long

Edit: I used "none the less" in my post aswell and the same phrase twice didnt sit well with me. /freak

GhaleonEB

Yeah, it got nominated for a Gangster award anyway and the genre's blur quite a bit and its a great movie, even if it is 2h 50m long

Edit: I used "none the less" in my post aswell and the same phrase twice didnt sit well with me. /freak
Heh, I struggled with the same phrase but rolled with it none the less anyways. Heat is one of my favoriate films - I'll never forget seeing it in theaters - so I'll echo any recomendation for it.

Thanks, will try to check it out!

I think you will like it. It's an extraordinary film, and there's one sequence in particular that is one of the best of its kind ever filmed. You'll know it when it happens.

Top Bottom