• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Trey

Scientifically proven, University of bobs did all the research, all signs point towards Invasion players having palaeoecological problems in later life. (Sorry Gabo)
I did try and type physcological problems, but my browser threw in that weird autocorrect, I think invasion players would grow up to study rocks and fossils, if they can stand playing invasion though lol

Psych-, that was the problem.

Also, there is an Invasion map called Boneyard.

You have no idea why Invasion has not been touched. Invasion has many flaws.

You accredit Invasion with being rich in story. Show me a single shred of evidence for this claim. Invasion has the bare bones component of any multiplayer mode, devoid of any fictional ties. Elites fighting Spartans in Invasion is as much enriched with story as Red versus Blue in the other multiplayer mode. Nothing.

Reach's sandbox is horribly imbalanced and Invasion makes no effort to conceal this nor does it use the sandbox in some unique fashion to make it's quality or esteem rise in anyone's eyes. Armour Lock is still broken. Evade is still sickening. Jet-pack is still stupid.

Invasion may string together different games modes into a single battle but it quickly becomes stale and tired. The freshness of of it's unique qualities dies in haste, more so when Invasion presents each gametype in poorer quality than each gametype presented by itself in traditional multiplayer.

Tactics, what a laugh. Every damm game of Invasion plays out the same. The rush of power weapons and vehicles generally determines the outcomes every time. Failure to adhere to abuse of such cheap "tactics" usually results in a crushing and prolonged defeat.

Invasion is a failure. The amount of resources and time spent developing it came at a dire costs to other areas in the game that needed it badly. Invasion was originally intended to have a much higher player count and when the game couldn't support it, no significant changes were made to the existing, shipping Invasion play spaces.

That means that the majority of Invasion maps are simply empty, hollow, drab and lifeless environments devoid of gameplay and player attention. The hubris of pushing the mode so hard meant pushing such grotesque insults into other modes. Playing BTB games on Invasion maps is akin to hitting oneself in sensitive area repeatedly - a few, perverted folks might enjoy such acts, but the majority simply do not.

Invasion also serves as a magnifying glass when looking at Reach's damaged sandbox. Cross-mapping. Warthog aerobatics. Paper thin Banshee armour and nuke bombs. Teams full of Armour Locking, shotgun wielding killjoys. Camo snipers. Spartan Lasers. Unbalanced death tanks.

Invasion really is the poster child of why a great number of folks are intensely dissatisfied with Reach.

=P

Flawless victory, and I actually like Invasion.

TheOddOne

Reach was a natural next step in the evolution of Halo, and while I admire 343 for experimenting with armor modifications and armor abilities, I'm ENRAGED that they removed armor lock. Sticky grenades may as well be classified as a power weapon now. So unbalanced. Halo 4 pre-order cancelled, Halo 1/2/3/ODST/Wars/Reach/Anniversary discs have all been Trounce'd. Halo is dead to me.
approval-people-clapping.gif

You guys have been playing Invasion with the wrong people then. I can agree that if you have a team of randoms, the game is completely broken, but with two co-ordinated skilled teams, you'd be surprised how well the mode plays.

You have no idea why Invasion has not been touched. Invasion has many flaws.

You accredit Invasion with being rich in story. Show me a single shred of evidence for this claim. Invasion has the bare bones component of any multiplayer mode, devoid of any fictional ties. Elites fighting Spartans in Invasion is as much enriched with story as Red versus Blue in the other multiplayer mode. Nothing.

Reach's sandbox is horribly imbalanced and Invasion makes no effort to conceal this nor does it use the sandbox in some unique fashion to make it's quality or esteem rise in anyone's eyes. Armour Lock is still broken. Evade is still sickening. Jet-pack is still stupid.

Invasion may string together different games modes into a single battle but it quickly becomes stale and tired. The freshness of of it's unique qualities dies in haste, more so when Invasion presents each gametype in poorer quality than each gametype presented by itself in traditional multiplayer.

Tactics, what a laugh. Every damm game of Invasion plays out the same. The rush of power weapons and vehicles generally determines the outcomes every time. Failure to adhere to abuse of such cheap "tactics" usually results in a crushing and prolonged defeat.

Invasion is a failure. The amount of resources and time spent developing it came at a dire costs to other areas in the game that needed it badly. Invasion was originally intended to have a much higher player count and when the game couldn't support it, no significant changes were made to the existing, shipping Invasion play spaces.

That means that the majority of Invasion maps are simply empty, hollow, drab and lifeless environments devoid of gameplay and player attention. The hubris of pushing the mode so hard meant pushing such grotesque insults into other modes. Playing BTB games on Invasion maps is akin to hitting oneself in sensitive area repeatedly - a few, perverted folks might enjoy such acts, but the majority simply do not.

Invasion also serves as a magnifying glass when looking at Reach's damaged sandbox. Cross-mapping. Warthog aerobatics. Paper thin Banshee armour and nuke bombs. Teams full of Armour Locking, shotgun wielding killjoys. Camo snipers. Spartan Lasers. Unbalanced death tanks.

Invasion really is the poster child of why a great number of folks are intensely dissatisfied with Reach.

=P

Even though I kinda like Invasion, I agree with you.

Reach was a natural next step in the evolution of Halo, and while I admire 343 for experimenting with armor modifications and armor abilities, I'm ENRAGED that they removed armor lock. Sticky grenades may as well be classified as a power weapon now. So unbalanced. Halo 4 pre-order cancelled, Halo 1/2/3/ODST/Wars/Reach/Anniversary discs have all been Trounce'd. Halo is dead to me.

Rhyid.gif

We can only hope. I still really dislike camo, but vanilla AL was probably worse. Jetpacks just break maps that aren't built for them.

Armor Lock is gone. Spartan Ops will scratch that and other itches.

Im going to start a petition, im sure we can get at least the Waypoint forums to all sign. 343 wont have any choice but to either delay the game or get it in asap. Im going to throw bloom on that petition aswell, I absolutely refuse to pay full price for a game that has less features than the last game in the series, screw that.

Im going to start a petition, im sure we can get at least the Waypoint forums to all sign. 343 wont have any choice but to either delay the game or get it in asap. Im going to throw bloom on that petition aswell, I absolutely refuse to pay full price for a game that has less features than the last game in the series, screw that.

I already saw a #savehalo4 thread on Waypoint, we're already on the right track, you guys

daedalius

Easily missed. Especially when it's in the Gaming side :p

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36780908&postcount=1045

Fronk to the rescue!

Man, Spartan Ops (not the best name) sounds so great.

Hyperbole trolling?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome, yes, this travesty can't go unchallenged. M$ will probably release bloom as paid DLC two seconds after the game comes out. You can have a game as feature rich as Reach, but you'll have to shell out 1600 M$ points. Bungie got sick of those kind of exploitative business practices, that's why they left for Activision.

Most of what you said revolves around 'stagnant' game-play. I can agree somewhat with that, but personally I have never found Invasion anymore repetitive than a game of CTF.

As for balance, Bungie has done a surprisingly well job of including so many weapons in one game mode without any one being particularly dominant. It may be true that some loadouts can be abused, but in most cases abusing it is inefficient if everyone is playing objectively.

When I said rich in story, I mean that it ties in with the general theme of Reach's campaign. In/on Boneyard you are defending against Elite forces who attempt to steal a data core that will provide them with details on the UNSC. With Spire, we are fighting back against the Elites to find flaws with their technology to better aid our fight against them. Know your enemy.

I never said Invasion didn't have it's flaws, but it really isn't broken. Reach is.

TheOddOne

Awesome, yes, this travesty can't go unchallenged. M$ will probably release bloom as paid DLC two seconds after the game comes out. You can have a game as feature rich as Reach, but you'll have to shell out 1600 M$ points. Bungie got sick of those kind of exploitative business practices, that's why they left for Activision.
Releasing bloom as DLC is the best thing I have heard all day.

Hyperbole trolling?

Does this look like Hyperbolic trolling to you:

We are deadly serious, and I for one hope 343 comes to they're senses before all is lost. You only have to look at the gaming side thread to understand that we are not alone:

"Probably" indicates knowledge of nothing. That is just my opinion going off the fact that in all my time playing or discussing this game with joe smoe Halo fans, I never heard any negative comments about armor lock. Yet b.net and forums on the internet made it seem as if the apocalypse had happened.

Quite frankly I believe Halo 4 is destined to fail unless they have a massive rethink about bloom and armour lock.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The FUCK?

No.
Yes.

Seriously, if they're not going to fix the Banshee, just yoink it completely. It's the most overpowered piece of shit in the entire Halo series. And I'm not even being hyperbolic!

Homeboyd

How 'random' weapons and Forge are going to interact with each other is doing my head in. It's probably simpler than I think though.
I would imagine it could be as easy as placing Hills in KOTH. Sequence them how you want and set the timers and weapon spawns in the "weapon spawn" characteristics. Also see Invasion Slayer.

I don't know how they plan on delivering the weapons (I heard drop pod somewhere), but I would imagine they have a solution for indoor maps. (i.e. simple drop spawns like in MLG)

Retro

I don't know how they plan on delivering the weapons (I heard drop pod somewhere), but I would imagine they have a solution for indoor maps. (i.e. simple drop spawns like in MLG)

Well, Multiplayer is supposed to be a high tech simulation, ain't it? They probably just spawn in as a wireframe and burst of light.

Tawpgun

Fuck yes. It is completely overpowered. The best solution would be to remove the Banshee bomb, but that's never going to happen, so the next best thing is to remove it completely.

If they could remove the banshee bomb it would fix it completley. It would balance out its insane speed, manueverability, and dodging with its weak health. Plasma bolts require it to fly straight more or less.

And not

FLIP BOMB FLIP BOMB FLIP BOMB FLIP BOMB

all day erryday.

I would imagine it could be as easy as placing Hills in KOTH. Sequence them how you want and set the timers and weapon spawns in the "weapon spawn" characteristics. Also see Invasion Slayer.

Eww, Invasion Slayer Weapons spawns...

TheOddOne

Just got back, it was more of a political power lunch rather than a wedding, because we sat with the next would be councillor and the mayor of south shields.

I didn't even know south shield's had a mayor. He had a nice wife.
What an odd thing too add to the post.

HOT WIFE, EH?

Unique vision and making it your own.... I must've missed that part of the cover story.

I know this whole thing has been beat to death but this was a bummer for me. It seemed to me that the slow stream of info for this game started out with "Hey we are bringing back the Halo you all have wanted! BR, hitscan, movement more akin to Halo 2/3." I was super excited for the possibility of Halo returning to the type of game that I loved playing night in and night out. Now it seems more like "We might have a classic playlist but the direction we are taking the Halo franchise isn't the Halo you know." We don't know the details and maybe things will shake out differently but I feel like I got the bait and switch. Justified or not at this point that is how I feel.

I know this whole thing has been beat to death but this was a bummer for me. It seemed to me that the slow stream of info for this game started out with "Hey we are bringing back the Halo you all have wanted! BR, hitscan, movement more akin to Halo 2/3." I was super excited for the possibility of Halo returning to the type of game that I loved playing night in and night out. Now it seems more like "We might have a classic playlist but the direction we are taking the Halo franchise isn't the Halo you know." We don't know the details and maybe things will shake out differently but I feel like I got the bait and switch. Justified or not at this point that is how I feel.

At least they didn't wait to "switch" until after they had your money bro.

Fuck yes. It is completely overpowered. The best solution would be to remove the Banshee bomb, but that's never going to happen, so the next best thing is to remove it completely.

A coordinated effort can take one out easily. I think you guys just take the matches too seriously :p

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
A coordinated effort can take one out easily. I think you guys just take the matches too seriously :p

I partly agree with this. The Banshee only annoyed the hell out of me if I was not paying attention to it. The minute I said "fuck it" and determined to drop him out of the sky it usually wouldn't take long. Plasma pistol, Spartan Laser, Rockets, heck, even a DMR.

I could be fine with removing the bomb though.

Top Bottom