• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

I know this whole thing has been beat to death but this was a bummer for me. It seemed to me that the slow stream of info for this game started out with "Hey we are bringing back the Halo you all have wanted! BR, hitscan, movement more akin to Halo 2/3." I was super excited for the possibility of Halo returning to the type of game that I loved playing night in and night out. Now it seems more like "We might have a classic playlist but the direction we are taking the Halo franchise isn't the Halo you know." We don't know the details and maybe things will shake out differently but I feel like I got the bait and switch. Justified or not at this point that is how I feel.

Yeah this. Ultimately though I get the feeling the plan is that classic mode will be amazing to please the traditional fans, if classic mode is that damn good then I will be happy. I just worry that classic mode will be playing second place to the new stuff and so wont have the time and care it needs.

I also don't know how I could possibly get excited about a game where I know I will be sticking to a neutered classic mode. I would only be looking forward to increased netcode, for sure it wont live up to actually playing classic Halo unless its the meat and bones of the game, which it wont be.

Falagard

I'm surprised more people haven't asked about things like:

- Vehicle destructibility. Are vehicles going to act like they did in Halo 2 and Halo 3 where they're tied to player health, or like they did in Halo Reach where they have their own "health" and are a ticking time bomb waiting to explode?

- Melee bleeding through shields or not?

Personally, I think the biggest disappointment is the return of Jetpacks, unless they're completely different than Halo Reach's Jetpacks. Some clarification on this would be nice.

GhaleonEB

If they could remove the banshee bomb it would fix it completley. It would balance out its insane speed, manueverability, and dodging with its weak health. Plasma bolts require it to fly straight more or less.

And not

FLIP BOMB FLIP BOMB FLIP BOMB FLIP BOMB

all day erryday.

Yup. An alternate solution would be to tie maneuvers into the boost meter, so that it depletes quickly, after just a few, rendering it more stationary and vulnerable. But in the absence of any adjustment, it's utterly broken and should be yanked from matchmaking. It's mind-boggling that it has not been.

I know this whole thing has been beat to death but this was a bummer for me. It seemed to me that the slow stream of info for this game started out with "Hey we are bringing back the Halo you all have wanted! BR, hitscan, movement more akin to Halo 2/3." I was super excited for the possibility of Halo returning to the type of game that I loved playing night in and night out. Now it seems more like "We might have a classic playlist but the direction we are taking the Halo franchise isn't the Halo you know." We don't know the details and maybe things will shake out differently but I feel like I got the bait and switch. Justified or not at this point that is how I feel.

This is actually what I had expected based on the initial reveal. 343 was very careful to message only the basics about the core game: movement, weapon design, hitscan, etc. so as to demonstrate that they are capturing the 'core' of what Halo is. But at the same time they said there were very big changes afoot, to be detailed later. We just got those details. Well, some of them.

Yeah this. Ultimately though I get the feeling the plan is that classic mode will be amazing to please the traditional fans, if classic mode is that damn good then I will be happy. I just worry that classic mode will be playing second place to the new stuff and so wont have the time and care it needs.

I also don't know how I could possibly get excited about a game where I know I will be sticking to a neutered classic mode. I would only be looking forward to increased netcode, for sure it wont live up to actually playing classic Halo unless its the meat and bones of the game, which it wont be.

Of course, if 343 tries to appeal to the classic players, they're not going to be satisfied with only one playlist. There needs to be at least BTB classic + 4v4 slayer.

Sure is fun when you can't even play because the Banshee is at your spawn spamming bombs spawn killing everyone. But nah I'm just TOO SERIOUS.

Well I'm sure that would annoy the hell out of me too, but I've honestly had that happen maybe once or twice.

Just keep the fire on them. I've had teammates with active camo that took them out pretty quickly with plasma pistols or plasma nades.

Then its clear you haven't played the game, or at least BTB, that much.

Please view this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq3X-CAKU7U

Yea you can kill a shit ton with it, but just like I expected, they never last more than a minute or two, maybe 3 tops. He was going to be taken out right within a minute going by the video.

I have played the game (albeit the last time was months ago). I just play more as a laid back experience as opposed to super competitive.

Risen

Wait you guys lost to Bungie?

They are tricksters, they are... my old community lost when we played them as well. It was the first taste of a little something called Nades N Spades and Sketchtrap. Oh the weeping and gnashing of teeth good players can have when being beat on by crazy Ospreys and Skorpions with no lasers or rockets to defend themselves. To say nothing of no rules given for Nades n Spades. "You'll figure it out, indeed".

Tawpgun

Yea you can kill a shit ton with it, but just like I expected, they never last more than a minute or two, maybe 3 tops. He was going to be taken out right within a minute going by the video.

I have played the game (albeit the last time was months ago). I just play more as a laid back experience as opposed to super competitive.

You have no idea who gamesager is do you. He posts videos of his banshee rape all the time. That video was just the killionaires he got effortlessly. He got plenty of other kills and multikills in between.

It's absolutley unfair and annoying. They even had to make sure the new version of Paradiso only had one banshee.

BTB was my favorite playlist in Halo 2 and 3. It's my least favorite in Reach. The banshee, among other things, ruins it.

This is actually what I had expected based on the initial reveal. 343 was very careful to message only the basics about the core game: movement, weapon design, hitscan, etc. so as to demonstrate that they are capturing the 'core' of what Halo is. But at the same time they said there were very big changes afoot, to be detailed later. We just got those details. Well, some of them.
We got such a poorly-worded outline that Frankie and David had to spend their weekend trying to quell the internet rage. My opinion about the game hasn't changed one bit since that article was leaked, and will remain unchanged until I hear more from EDGE 343 in a podcast or vidoc or whatever.

It's gamestop's magazine.
This explains so much to me now. ha

Risen

You have no idea who gamesager is do you. He posts videos of his banshee rape all the time. That video was just the killionaires he got effortlessly. He got plenty of other kills and multikills in between.

It's absolutley unfair and annoying. They even had to make sure the new version of Paradiso only had one banshee.

BTB was my favorite playlist in Halo 2 and 3. It's my least favorite in Reach. The banshee, among other things, ruins it.

Bet you wish you had that "overpowered" laser when that annoying and unfair banshee is up in the air.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Teams were selected to include as many HaloGAF members as possible. We decided to make it a fun event.

Team 2 for life.

Also, just called Gamestop and they don't have it yet. Guy had no idea Halo 4 was on the next issue. He said they show up randomly throughout the month.

I said, "I just wanted to know when they hit news stands, thanks"

"Wait, you're not a subscriber?!"
"No"
"Oh dude, sigh up for a year and you save like 5 dollars each issue"
"Nah that's ok, I don't read the magazine, I just wanted the Halo 4 one"

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Bet you wish you had that "overpowered" laser when that annoying and unfair banshee is up in the air.
I'm pretty sure you're just being facetious, but for reals, the overpowered Banshee doesn't excuse the overpowered Laser.

We got such a poorly-worded outline that Frankie and David had to spend their weekend trying to quell the internet rage. My opinion about the game hasn't changed one bit since that article was leaked, and will remain unchanged until I hear more from EDGE 343 in a podcast or vidoc or whatever.

This explains so much to me now. ha

We were discussing it in a party the other day, with the sheer wealth of what was revealed in the magazine and controversy surrounding it, perhaps it would have been better to initially reveal it via other means aka a vidoc?

Of course to the rational people, it won't matter because they can wait for clarification.

It's gamestop's magazine.

lCIs.png

Tawpgun

"So we have this banshee thing. It's super overpowered and broken. How do we fix it?"

"We could try and tone down the banshee's offensive capabilities. Make it more inline with the Halo 2 banshee, maybe removing the banshee bomb, adding a bigger delay beween evasive manuevers, maybe tie evasions to boost and have a big boost cool down..."

"Nah thats dumb lets make a super overpowered and broken power weapon to deal with it."

SMH at banshee defense here and armor lock defense on gaming side. What is going on.

- Vehicle destructibility. Are vehicles going to act like they did in Halo 2 and Halo 3 where they're tied to player health, or like they did in Halo Reach where they have their own "health" and are a ticking time bomb waiting to explode?

What they did to vehicle combat in Reach is just unforgivable. Vehicle health is independent of the player, so it's completely unreliable. Maybe it explodes, maybe it doesn't! Is that fire on the vehicle mean half health or will it suddenly combust if a stray DMR hits it? There's a lot of times where I'll just for-go the vehicle and go on foot, it's more trouble then it's worth, especially if it's a Warthog.

Goddamn, the Warthog, man. Warthog in Reach would make Peppy Hare happy, that thing hits a crack in the road it'll do a barrel roll on reaction. I've lost count the amount of potential escapes or assaults with the Warthog went up the shittier because the Warthog decided that now was the best time to overreact to a stray explosion and it was time to bail out.

Then the tanks are as overpowered as the as the Warthog is underpowered. Your movement sucks, so you can't outmaneuver people like the old days, and then the damn thing just kills everything in one shot, even Wraiths.

And then there's the Banshee. How is this thing still in matchmaking!?

feel

I'm still bitter about that.

They chose absolutely terrible gametypes noone here was used to playing for 2 out of the 3 games. Gaf dominated on the one acceptable gametype, of course.

edit-

iirc

- Elite slayer (the game I was in) in the island forge world map, with (most likely) the guy who coded the banshee on their team and no power-weapon in sight to take it down. The game was on what seemed like a 5 minute timer to top it all.

- Slayer pro. Nothing more to say, gaf won easily.

- Invasion Slayer. LOL, don't know what happened there but it's a terrible gametype so I can sort of imagine.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

They chose absolutely terrible gametypes noone here was used to playing for 2 out of the 3 games. Gaf dominated on the one acceptable gametype, of course.

Give us 3 games of Elite slayer, 2 plasma nades, armor lock/evade only next time.

heckfu

Banned
You guys think Urk is just sitting back during this shit show on Gaf related to the GI leak just striking his chin and laughing?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You guys think Urk is just sitting back during this shit show on Gaf related to the GI leak just striking his chin and laughing?
Lol no. He's shitting bricks hoping Bungie's new IP is a smash fucking hit. Also hoping the reveal goes well.

edit-

iirc

- Elite slayer (the game I was in) in the island forge world map, with (most likely) the guy who coded the banshee on their team and no power-weapon in sight to take it down. The game was on what seemed like a 5 minute timer to top it all.

- Slayer pro. Nothing more to say, gaf won easily.

- Invasion Slayer. LOL, don't know what happened there but it's a terrible gametype so I can sort of imagine.

This makes me think that this was their impression of how people were supposed to play Reach. Invasion variants, Elites vs Spartans, Jetpacks. Their idea of BTB was Hemorrhage and Pinnacle.

It was like they were aiming at the moon!

Risen

I'm pretty sure you're just being facetious, but for reals, the overpowered Banshee doesn't excuse the overpowered Laser.

LOL - I definitely was poking the bear since Tawp hates on the laser so much. But for reals - one thing I can say; with that "overpowered laser" in my hand that "overpowered banshee" gets shit on... excuses or no.

Arnie

Hope Bungie's new IP drops at E3, interested in seeing what they're up to. Will be good to contrast the future of Halo and the future of Bungie to see why they were so eager to move on from the IP.

I think we're all expecting Bungie's new IP to be crazy. At least I am.

Overdoziz

Banned
LOL - I definitely was poking the bear since Tawp hates on the laser so much. But for reals - one thing I can say; with that "overpowered laser" in my hand that "overpowered banshee" gets shit on... excuses or no.
Elite Slayer doesn't have a Laser. Dat Bungie troll.

Hope Bungie's new IP drops at E3, interested in seeing what they're up to. Will be good to contrast the future of Halo and the future of Bungie to see why they were so eager to move on from the IP.

I think we're all expecting Bungie's new IP to be crazy. At least I am.

Crazy is an understatement. Remember what Halo did for for the console FPS? I'd like to think whatever genre their next game is in, did what Halo did for the console FPS x10

zlatko

Banned
HaloGAF wasn't big on Reach? I mean aside from ArmorLock I found it to be my favorite Halo MP experience by far.

I'm hoping that H4 is just an evolution of Reach to be quite honest, and from what I've read it's looking that way.

Hopefully they just have a regular team slayer without any of the new armor abilities aside from the sprint, and I'll be good to go.

Hope they spend more time tweaking arena as well. Felt that was a bit so/so in the time I spent with Reach.

Top Bottom