• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

m23

I haven't really been playing Reach last few months, but recently got back into playing a bit more and trying to play Halo 3 but lag is killin me.

I don't get the extreme Reach hate. Yeah it's not Halo 2/3 but go play all of the other "good" online games on the 360. Reach is still better than pretty much all of them. I think the only games I enjoyed online more were Halo 3, COD4, and the original Gears.

I don't get the extreme Reach hate. Yeah it's not Halo 2/3 but go play all of the other "good" online games on the 360. Reach is still better than pretty much all of them. I think the only games I enjoyed online more were Halo 3, COD4, and the original Gears.
We have high standards. We have other devices on which we can play other great online games. We have a million distractions begging for our time but we love Halo and want the best from it.

Putting it this way, the "random" weapon spawns sound like a really good idea. Honestly, I'm absolutely ready to give them the benefit of the doubt. I was never a fan of seeing 3 people camp sniper spawn for minutes on end only to start betraying each other once the weapon spawned.

This could be a thing of the past.
Not directing this at you alone, but for everyone else, is it just me, or are comments like this being posted to justify decisions as they were a huge problem to begin with? I can count on my hands (may need toes) the number of times I could list off people camping a particular power weapon in a game.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
No. At this point, you're just looking for madness to fill your soul.
The most maddening thing you did was save it as a .jpg and upload it to imgur. With all those artifacts we may never be able to decipher the image beneath.

This was the best I could manage:

Ymm7p.png

m23

Am I right in assuming those "random" weapon spawns are only for power weapons. It does make sense I guess to move the spawns around, no more running for rockets every 3 minutes for me.

If you check my gamercard (same name as here), I haven't even played Gears 3 or a CoD since 4. Or a Battlefield or Medal of Honour or whatever else. While I may hate how Reach turned out, I would agree that I wouldn't call it a bad game.

What I would call it is an average game. With the current market trends that pretty much equates to not worth playing.

Not directing this at you alone, but for everyone else, is it just me, or are comments like this being posted to justify decisions as they were a huge problem to begin with? I can count on my hands (may need toes) the number of times I could list off people camping a particular power weapon in a game.

Yes, it's happening a lot, especially in the gaming side. I'd like to know what Halo games they were playing, it must be different from my copies.

neoism

I am just talking about smoothness. Any weapon. Smooth.

I love your postin in here frank but you must realize for every one post you say something awesome about 4 you'll have to post 3 more posts to explain your other one.
So there be only one thing you can do.
5000 word preview in your master style so time today. :p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That screen looks like shit honestly. Clearly not 720p and my god, the jaggies. It looks like the FXAA they're using is comparable to the one used in the late fall of last year in other games. Thanks for the old tech 343.

daedalius

'Mobile control' for weapons, and only on gametypes that support it.

Seems like it would be better for something like slayer than objective types.

Interesting.

As for the BR firing slower, someone should make a gif of the H2, H3, and that gif all firing together.

senador

Banned

What? I see camping of weapon spawns nearly every game.

Tawpgun

Another thing I just realized. Shield indication is like Halo 3. It moves in one direction.

THANK GOD.

For all the good feedback Reach gives you, shields is a terrible one. When it moves in from both sides I can't quite gauge how much I have left.

G17

Am I right in assuming those "random" weapon spawns are only for power weapons. It does make sense I guess to move the spawns around, no more running for rockets every 3 minutes for me.

This will be clarified in the future but Frankie talked about how you could not get Snipers whenever you want. (in Halo 4 OP) So right now I am assuming that you pick a loadout with your preferred "non-power weapons" but that all map pickups will be considered a power weapon such as sniper, rockets, sentinel beam, grenade launcher or whatever weapons they choose to bring/keep in or take out.

daedalius

Another thing I just realized. Shield indication is like Halo 3. It moves in one direction.

THANK GOD.

For all the good feedback Reach gives you, shields is a terrible one. When it moves in from both sides I can't quite gauge how much I have left.

Hadn't actually noticed that yet.

Good change. Much prefer the right to left shieldbar rather than shrinking to the center.

Not exactly a huge problem, but still an annoyance. From my experience, it's not a game-breaking issue, but still happening. Two prominent examples to me are the sniper spawns on Hemorrhage and the rocket launcher spawn on Boardwalk. Also, I feel like it can indeed slow the gameplay down, at least if I don't know the respawn times by heart.

Anyway, I don't see why they shouldn't try something different after four Halo games. It's not a huge departure, just a new spin on an old concept. As Frankie has said, map control is still important and the weapons don't spawn entirely randomly.

And if it fails, the old system will still be there to fall back on.

Edit: And of course, it will be gametype specific. So it also largely depends on that context, in the end.

THANK GOD.

You are correct

Thank you, based Halo 3 lifebar

THANK GOD.

Yep, really awesome. I really hate the way Reach shows the shield. I've been killed countless times because I thought I still had enough shields up.

Well, I didn't know that halogaf questionnaire existed so I'll go ahead and answer the questions too, if thats alright. I know I've probably pressed some people's buttons in this thread, but I just wanted to let you know that I find you guys to be generally cool, intelligent and fun. So I apologize if I've come off as an asshat thus far. With that said:

Are you a very recently approved member of neogaf?
Nope, been a member for 2 or 3 years, just started regularly posting about 6 months ago, though.

What country are you posting from and what’s your current age.
Good ol' Merica, 26 years

At what age did you get into Halo and with which game.
Right when it came out on the original xbox. I had never played such an obscene amount of video games until then.

For how long have you been reading HaloGAF?
Not too long; I stayed in the gaming section until a few months ago.

What’s your absolute favorite Halo campaign? And your favorite multiplayer? (you’re not allowed to pick Halo: Combat Evolved for any of the two)
Halo 1 for campaign and halo 3 for multiplayer. I loved halo 2 as well, but I spent maybe twice as long playing halo 3. It's probably because I had college buddies to play with and no parents telling me to actually do stuff in life.

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.
46, team slayer

AR or BR?
I never use the AR. Ever.

Absolute favorite multiplayer map from Combat Evolved, Halo 2 and 3 (just one from each).
Halo CE: blood gulch Halo 2: Lockout Halo 3: The Pit

Least hated Reach mp map.(excluding Anniversary pack)
Haha, Countdown.

Do you prefer BTB or MLG? (pre-Reach era)
BTB; its my playlist to enjoy the vehicle sandbox and have fun.

Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?
competitive makes halo for me.

Games completed on solo Legendary.
Honestly? Only the first. I'm not the biggest halo campaign fan but I hope 4 changes that.

Are you EazyB? Mike DongBlain?
I'll be whoever you want me to be!

What are some of your favorite Campaign missions.
"Halo" and "The Silent Cartographer"

Favorite Reach playlists.
Straight up social slayer for Reach.

Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes).
Sorry Frankie, I like my developers 4 eyes and emaciated!

Opinion on reticule bloom.
It has a place somewhere, hopefully 343i finds it.

Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you usually end up picking.
Sprint; the fairest and most useful in Reach, in my opinion. Oh, and I like the concept of them, I just don't like how they were implemented.

Why are you a Halo fan?
Cause halo round, stuff go boom

Favorite Halogaffer, and least favorite (besides Dax). (optional)
Favorite: Ghaleon, even if I don't agree with him on everything. Respect.
Least favorite: come on now!

So yea, I'll be that guy that loves almost everything 343i is doing, I guess. I want to say now that I respect the opinion of those that have a lot of trepidation after Reach. And there are many of you who are much more knowledgeable than me on the subject so I'm sure I'll eat my words a lot. But hey, thats why I'm here. Learn, discuss, hang. Cool.

GhaleonEB

THANK GOD.

ZOMG

Very glad to see this, it's quite frustrating in Reach. Skyrim does the same thing with enemy health, collapsing it from both sides of their health bar, and it feels like the second half of their health drops so much faster than the first because of the way perception works. Applied to player health and it's very difficult to judge how much we have left.

senador

Banned

THANK GOD.

This paired with Reach's shield pop as seen in the Showcase vid, is going to make for some good shield feedback.

Falagard

I'm I the only one thats not liking this kickstarter shit. Skip increaseing the cost of games... lets just let the fans pay us to make the game. :/

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Kickstarter helps get games created that would otherwise be skipped by publishers. Point and click adventure games, niche games, etc. And usually when you contribute to a Kickstarter campaign they give you the game for free for the minimum contribution amount. Win/win. Don't bitch.

Not exactly a huge problem, but still an annoyance. From my experience, it's not a game-breaking issue, but still happening. Two prominent examples to me are the sniper spawns on Hemorrhage and the rocket launcher spawn on Boardwalk. Also, I feel like it can indeed slow the gameplay down, at least if I don't know the respawn times by heart.
I wouldn't say it never happens but at best it's a minor problem. I've stopped playing Reach's multiplayer aside from the occasional attempts of getting BOOM! Ball in Action Sack, but in my time playing the game and Halo 3 recently, it's never on my mind because I hardly have to worry about it.

AAA iOS game? Sent to die.
Having mo-cop does strike me as crazy. Cool, but crazy.
$500k seems like a tough goal.

I'm I the only one thats not liking this kickstarter shit. Skip increaseing the cost of games... lets just let the fans pay us to make the game. :/
Haven't seen anyone abuse it yet. It's not like it's big publishers abusing fans.
Just devs getting support they wouldn't get elsewhere e.g. No publisher was willing pay Double Fine to make a traditional adventure game so fans got to make something happen if they wanted it to.
Edit: Beaten by Falagard.

senador

Banned
I wouldn't say it never happens but at best it's a minor problem. I've stopped playing Reach's multiplayer aside from the occasional attempts of getting BOOM! Ball in Action Sack, but in my time playing the game and Halo 3 recently, it's never on my mind because I hardly have to worry about it.

I wouldn't say its a big problem every game, but I do see people camp weapons like snipe and rockets at least every play session I have. It makes sense for control and such, but its lame when someone camps it for minutes on end, especially your own teammates. Just slows the game for no advantage. I had a teammate camp rocks on Reflection 2 days ago for about 3 minutes straight. Learn the timers yo.

I'm interested to see how the weapon drops play out. I'm guessing there are a few set spots they can appear and when they drop or shortly before we get notified somehow.

Having mo-cop does strike me as crazy. Cool, but crazy.
$500k seems like a tough goal.

Haven't seen anyone abuse it yet. It's not like it's big publishers abusing fans.
Just devs getting support they wouldn't get elsewhere e.g. No publisher was willing pay Double Fine to make a traditional adventure game so fans got to make something happen if they wanted it to.
Edit: Beaten by Falagard.

Oh man, I'm going to get my money's worth just from watching the documentary as they make it. Very funny, interesting, and entertaining.

Korosenai

Are you a very recently approved member of neogaf?

I've been here since December, 2010

What country are you posting from and what’s your current age.

USA, 20

At what age did you get into Halo and with which game.

13, Halo 2

For how long have you been reading HaloGAF?

Probably since I signed up for this site

What’s your absolute favorite Halo campaign? And your favorite multiplayer? (you’re not allowed to pick Halo: Combat Evolved for any of the two)

Campaign: Halo 3: ODST

Multiplayer: Halo 3. Probably put at least over 40 days total playtime into it.

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.

Level 50 Team Doubles, Team Slayer. I got to level 48 in Team swat, Level 47 in Team Snipers, and Level 46 in MLG.

AR or BR?

BR

Absolute favorite multiplayer map from Combat Evolved, Halo 2 and 3 (just one from each).

Combat Evolved - Chill Out

Halo 2 - Lockout

Halo 3 - Heretic

Least hated Reach mp map.(excluding Anniversary pack)

Zealot

Do you prefer BTB or MLG? (pre-Reach era)

MLG

Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?

Competitive multiplayer

Games completed on solo Legendary.

Halo Reach, only for the achievement. I much prefer co-op.

Are you EazyB? Mike DongBlain?

I don't even

What are some of your favorite Campaign missions.

I can't really think of any off the top of my head, but I really enjoyed all of ODST

Favorite Reach playlists.

Anniversary Classic
Team Slayer
Team Doubles
Multi-team

Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes).

I'd rather not say

Opinion on reticule bloom.

I hate it.

Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you usually end up picking.

I hate them, but I usually pick Jet pack. That's why I stay in the Anniversary Classic playlist.

Why are you a Halo fan?

It's just a lot of fun to play, and I love trying to rank up in the playlists. Just a very fun, competitive game.

Favorite Halogaffer, and least favorite (besides Dax). (optional)

I love all Halogaffers equally

Now feel free to introduce yourself and/or share anything you want so we get to know you better, some of us would enjoy reading it. (optional)

I'm just a huge fan of Halo, and I would play it everyday if given the chance. I still play Halo 2 every now and then on XBConnect, and Halo 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. I don't like to post much, I just love reading everyone's reactions, it's pretty hilarious.

I wouldn't say its a big problem every game, but I do see people camp weapons like snipe and rockets at least every play session I have. It makes sense for control and such, but its lame when someone camps it for minutes on end, especially your own teammates. Just slows the game for no advantage. I had a teammate camp rocks on Reflection 2 days ago for about 3 minutes straight. Learn the timers yo.

I'm interested to see how the weapon drops play out. I'm guessing there are a few set spots they can appear and when they drop or shortly before we get notified somehow.
What playlists do you play? From what I can recall in Halo 3 BTB, Social Slayer, Team Slayer, Reach social slayer, Anniversary playlists, and BTB, I don't see it at all.

It's so funny how people can have entirely different experiences on the same game. I hardly ever see it.

senador

Banned
What playlists do you play? From what I can recall in Halo 3 BTB, Social Slayer, Team Slayer, Reach social slayer, Anniversary playlists, and BTB, I don't see it at all.

It's so funny how people can have entirely different experiences on the same game. I hardly ever see it.

In Reach I played Squad Slayer, and now Super Slayer, lots of Arena. The camping on Reflection was Arena, which is why it bothered me so much. :/

I don't remember Halo 3 as much, but I primarily played Squad and TS.

Maybe its the maps fault though. It happens where power weapons spawn in kind of hidden places. Powerhouse rockets, Asylum snipes, Reflection rocks, Countdown shotty, Synapse rocks. Those are the ones I see most. Holy shit, it is the map and weapon placements fault.

Top Bottom