• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Risen

I find it sort of amusing that top-tier players (both you and Overdoz1z mentioned falling in Onyx rankings after lack of play) FALL when they don't play for a while, while mediocre players like me CLIMB. Last season, I played enough to get ranked, plus maybe a day or two. At the end of this time, I was silver, 95%.

When the season ended (no more playing at all, for weeks), i was Silver, 25%. ;)

I guess I'd enjoy seeing the bulge of the curve move over time - I'm sure that's fully expected by anyone who understands statistics, but my brain can't get a handle on the reasoning without seeing the numbers.

I think that's just it - I think most folk don't translate the percentages into placement numbers very easily. Few (if anyone in the general population) knows the total population playing. The movement (up or down) is going to completely depend on the number of folks playing in the season in which you are getting daily ratings. Your daily ratings are compared to others and are relative to those folks you have rated against. The system "self levels" to it's distribution as people play or don't.

Juices got Gold because there aren't many folks playing and he hasn't won or rated well against people ranked higher than him very often. Likely - he hasn't even had the opportunity to do so until recently.

For all the love some show - it's not a great ranking system.

Can't say it enough... I would so want the H2 ranked system more. I think it does a much better job at placing players in relative skill categories in a team game. (assuming no cheating of course, and truly, I don't think the cheaters are a reason to change it... police the cheating, don't change the system to something inferior)

blamite

I'm 87% sure Halo 4 will be a November release, mainly because the next Traviss novel is supposedly releasing before the game, and it'll be out in October.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I keep listening to composer sample over and over again. Heroism, then tortured alien evil.

so good.

Also, build we played yesterday has my favorite moment to moment Halo gunplay ever. Subjective, but there were some objectively cool things happening as it relates to how you place shots, and how that feels.

I'm 87% sure Halo 4 will be a November release, mainly because the next Traviss novel is supposedly releasing before the game, and it'll be out in October.
Such things have failed to pan out before, and the game can probably stand on its own legs, so I'd say they're flexible about TTW.

It is, but Bioshock and Assassin Creed are huge.

---

Halo 4 and AC3 are the most-anticipated titles of 2012.
Oh I agree, that's why I didn't knock 'em.

I keep listening to composer sample over and over again. Heroism, then tortured alien evil.

so good.

Also, build we played yesterday has my favorite moment to moment Halo gunplay ever. Subjective, but there were some objectively cool things happening as it relates to how you place shots, and how that feels.
Needs a "The Big Tease" avatar styled after Dream-Crusher.

Falagard

so good.

Screenshot or it didn't happen.

Risen

so good.

But did you do that while flying through the air and breaking map design? (Overdoziz made me do it)

I don't think I'll ever play Halo on Legendary solo. It seems that once you go past Heroic it goes from "hard" to "the game is fucking cheating".

Solo Legendary is actually pretty easy.

In terms of difficulty id rate them like this.

Halo Wars
Halo 2
Halo 1
Halo ODST
Halo Reach
Halo 3

None the less iv beat them all legendary multiple times and without much hassle (HW being the exception).

I really dont see how people can call them difficult games in the slightest, Halo 2 has some real WTF moments, like Tartarus or Jackal Snipers but it shouldnt take your more than 5 attempts at any of them.

Halo 1 has some pretty horrible areas aswell like when you board the Truth and Reconciliation for the first time and are stuck in that room.

The Key to legendary is to not play like your a walking tank but to play like the covenant are the threat the books make them out to be, Everything can and will fuck you up given the chance a grunt and a PP will do you in.

senador

Banned
How is that too early?

wat

I explained why.

I think they'd be dumb to release any where near CoD, they'd have Sept. all to themselves just like the past couple Halo releases.

Fully agreed. September doesn't fall into "Holiday" though IMO. In the past have they said Holiday for the September releases?

so good.

Auto aim AA confirmed.

Korosenai

Halo Reach solo legendary was a walk in the park. Halo Anniversary legendary co-op on the other hand was rage inducing to a whole other level.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Crotch shot death animations confirmed.

CyReN

Having Sage flashbacks...please don't be random....please don't be random...

vpUBw.gif

Awkward... just filled the party noob.

Back to Titanic Documentary it is then lol.

neoism

Too early.

Really? I guess I just expected November-ish since they've said holiday all along and Reach will barely be turning 2. September would be awesome for sure, I'm not going to count on it though for hype's sake.

September for the win.

heckfu

Banned
I find it sort of amusing that top-tier players (both you and Overdoz1z mentioned falling in Onyx rankings after lack of play) FALL when they don't play for a while, while mediocre players like me CLIMB. Last season, I played enough to get ranked, plus maybe a day or two. At the end of this time, I was silver, 95%.

When the season ended (no more playing at all, for weeks), i was Silver, 25%. ;)

I guess I'd enjoy seeing the bulge of the curve move over time - I'm sure that's fully expected by anyone who understands statistics, but my brain can't get a handle on the reasoning without seeing the numbers.

His words.

so good.

Bolded also describes the mission statement for Halo 4's information roll-out. Brilliant!

For the record I am more excited than concerned regarding Halo 4 MP. I'm also in the "wait for context" camp. Even armor lock and drop shield could've been fun with the proper execution/application.

senador

Banned
They did it for Gears 3, IIRC.

Well I'll be damned. Still going to plan for later and then I can get excited if sooner.

Halo 3, ODST, and Reach were all released in September. MS's other big exclusive (Gears 3) was released in September.

Still not understanding why that's early?

They've said Holiday all along so I took that as not early fall. ;) Also Halo has had 3 year cycles, but this one will be cut short by a year. September will barely be Reach's 2 year mark. 343 is also a new studio. Sure they have been working on this a long time, but as their first game together, all new Halo, and dealing with that all, they'll need all the time they can get. So, its it really unreasonable for me to think September is too early? i don't think so.

kylej

Banned
Halo 4 has to be September release, Resident Evil just change their release date and we have this in October now - BioShock Infinite, Resident Evil 6, Assassin's Creed 3, and Medal of Honor. They won't mess with CoD Black Ops 2 in 1st Tuesday of November.

September 25th.

Two entries in the COD franchise in one year. Fanbase is going to be fatigued!

Tawpgun

Smooth huh? Halo 4 to have Halo 2 levels of aim assist? Gotta help the CoD kiddies out somehow. They're not used to having to actually aim and sustain aiming.

Talking about that Letters is unbanned was one of the greatest topics at PAX East. And then we started talking about Starwolf... :p

I liked talking shit about a bad wave of juniors. And others. Much gossip was had. Oh girl.

A question, what were you guys more excited during the Halo 3 hype, the campaign or the MP?

For me it was the campaign, and it's mirrored this time as well, though spartan ops seem's to be raising a few eyebrows from me (amongst other things).
It was campaign for me, easily. I read about it too much, though, which lessened the overall experience for me. Same thing happened with Reach, so I'm going to do my damnedest to gloss over anything campaign related. I'm all about Spartan Ops; sounds right up my alley.

I hate Reach on Legendary so, so much. Almost as much as Halo 2; the tuning feels the same, but without the bottlenecks and Jackal Snipers. The way enemy damage output is beefed up is infuriating, when coupled with the poor base movement. I die to a plasma grenade I should have been able to avoid and just hit the power button.
I still have nightmares of the time when you, me, and Dax tried Tip of the Spear with (nearly) all skulls on Legendary. That fucking on-rails section, ugh.

m23

Hey guys, I've been reading Halogaf for a while so finally thought I'd join. Seems like a great community to speak about Halo, other sites are just useless to discuss games. Hope I can contribute to this thread, as a huge fan of Halo I think I'll get along with some of you.

Damn this sounds like a cover letter lol.

Hey guys, I've been reading Halogaf for a while so finally thought I'd join. Seems like a great community to speak about Halo, other sites are just useless to discuss games. Hope I can contribute to this thread, as a huge fan of Halo I think I'll get along with some of you.

Damn this sounds like a cover letter lol.

You're hired! I mean... Welcome aboard... Wait...

Hi!

Top Bottom