• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

GhaleonEB

Cool. I can't imagine how yall can make this balanced, but I'm looking forward to hearing about your solution.

I suspect we're just lacking context. David said they will not use instant respawn in objective games, and I don't think instant respawn in FFA would be an issue. It might be that you can spawn as soon as you pick your load out, or something to that effect, in non-objective games.

m23

Can't wait for the podcast!

On another note, I just beat Assassin's Creed Revelations and I'm confused as hell.

Falagard

We adress this question in the Podcast. It's very simple, really. Of all the things people are worried about, this one will end up being the least controversial, I reckon. I suspect it will end up being a thing most people don't even notice after a game or two.

In Frankie we... trust?

Spawnling

Yes, they are back.

jxmas6Nh54BI7.jpg

Taken from the WB.

Thanks!

We adress this question in the Podcast. It's very simple, really. Of all the things people are worried about, this one will end up being the least controversial, I reckon. I suspect it will end up being a thing most people don't even notice after a game or two.
I want to believe. But I find it too hard to. Especially with the example they gave in GI.

If it is true instant(or 1-2 second) respawns, I'm quite sure the repercussions will be felt much further than a game or two.

Overdoziz

Banned
Maybe they made all the maps the size of Hemorrhage so people never spawn close to each other. That way instant respawn and sprint isn't a big problem. Brilliant.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postsm824113_How-to-register-onto-Neogaf.aspx#post824113
Oh look! I have hooked me some gaffers! Your responses to my trolololol, will get me through the rest of the month.

22 total posts over here is hardly playing in "his" sandbox. These are his forums, and needs to act like it. By no means am i saying that he is to answer for all his sins, but some of us would like to chat in general with him, not even about halo. So get back on your little ponies and ride back to your ivory tower.
OuterWorldVoice
drunk, naked and sinning
(Today, 01:22 PM)

I suspect we're just lacking context. David said they will not use instant respawn in objective games, and I don't think instant respawn in FFA would be an issue. It might be that you can spawn as soon as you pick your load out, or something to that effect, in non-objective games.

Exactly what I was thinking. That's my biggest non-balance complaint about loadouts. Sometimes I don't have enough time to cycle through them between deaths, which usually means I:

A) choose a loadout I didn't mean to choose (by inadvertently clenching the controller at the last second)
B) get stuck with a loadout I didn't want.

Especially if the maps are made where choosing different loadouts is a primary issue between deaths, I don't believe instant respawning will be such a bad thing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Exactly what I was thinking. That's my biggest non-balance complaint about loadouts. Sometimes I don't have enough time to cycle through them between deaths, which usually means I:

A) choose a loadout I didn't mean to choose (by inadvertently clenching the controller at the last second)
B) get stuck with a loadout I didn't want.

Especially if the maps are made where choosing different loadouts is a primary issue between deaths, I don't believe instant respawning will be such a bad thing.

And you have a very reasonable amount of time to choose your loadout (although there is a timer that will put you back in a game to avoid AFK).

I... I... I want to believe

And what examples did you experience that you can share with the gang?

As an experienced Halo 4 player from the future, you guys pull off an enthralling campaign and engrossing multiplayer, only lacking in the Master Chief/Cortana romance arc development.

But seriously, I do think a respawn timer is integral to Halo-gameplay. Whether it's a subconscious effect or not, the player cares more about their life and plays accordingly. Instant respawn and base-trait sprint seem like a strange mixed-recipe. In CoD(I know, hiss/scratch), the gameplay goes:

spawn -> sprint -> shoot -> kill -> sprint (repeat)
or
spawn -> sprint -> shoot -> die (repeat)

Very repetitive with a throw-your-life-away-to-respawn-again-like-who-cares gameplay. If there weren't any games out that followed that formula already, and 343 were blazing a new trail, I doubt anyone would have as much concern. Don't let my paranoia matter, though, I still trust 343. The fact alone that you all are paying more attention to the lore/books means a lot to me and many other fans out there.

edit: Reading the topic more, I'm guessing the GI article wasn't specific enough and isn't the be-all end-all about the gameplay, and the podcast will indeed clear things up.

m23

I'd settle for 4 person viewing of Theater at the same time from any first person perspective.

I was playing Halo 3 yesterday and we a pretty epic moment. So we went to theater mode and watched it over again, we can't do that in Reach and watching with friends was one of the reasons I used theater mode in the first place. I really hope they can bring back theater mode with multiple people watching at the same time.

Spawnling

And you have a very reasonable amount of time to choose your loadout (although there is a timer that will put you back in a game to avoid AFK).

Does that compensate for objective games? Even for things like playing 4v4 capture the flag in team objective, it would seem like a mess to even pull the flag if your opponents are constantly re-spawning without a set timer.

Is there a system that's implemented differently for objective gametypes?

Risen

hiss/scratch), the gameplay goes:

spawn -> sprint -> shoot -> kill -> sprint (repeat)
or
spawn -> sprint -> shoot -> die (repeat)

Very repetitive with a throw-your-life-away-to-respawn-again-like-who-cares gameplay.

These types of observations always floor me... play with/against good people and it plays nothing like that.

Sure it plays fast (which is good), but the only "throw your life away to respawn again like who cares gameplay" comes from bad kids who get dumped on. Those instant spawns and fast kill times mean the game can play blazing fast or achingly slow depending on the situation. If anything this lends itself to more dynamic gameplay rather than repetitive. If you're repetitive in CoD... you're not doing it right.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I would love to know about spawning locations and how they're chosen for each respawning player. Can players on the other team effect spawns with weapons? Grenades? Line of sight?

Also, I'm of the opinion that spawn trapping and predicting is a big part of Halo. It's not something that should be stopped to accomodate lesser skilled players. Spawn killing is a skill! It's up to matchmaking to pit these players against each other. Strict matchmaking to me, makes such a huge difference.

Louis Wu

I've done that many times lol. Also done http://halo.bungie.com/
I have never understood why they don't just set up a redirect at this address, pointing to halo.bungie.net - if only to decrease the size of the error log. (I did this for www.halo.bungie.org, because I was tired of getting annoyed at people who simply CAN'T not put www at the start of a URL. :) )

Louis Wu. You are too awesome for this world.
Wait... what? (What did I do to deserve being thrown off it this time?)

CyReN

I have never understood why they don't just set up a redirect at this address, pointing to halo.bungie.net - if only to decrease the size of the error log. (I did this for www.halo.bungie.org, because I was tired of getting annoyed at people who simply CAN'T not put www at the start of a URL. :) )

Wait... what? (What did I do to deserve being thrown off it this time?)

I got you in my toolbar now, just was a dumb thing I used to do. Keep up the awesome work btw.

Does that compensate for objective games? Even for things like playing 4v4 capture the flag in team objective, it would seem like a mess to even pull the flag if your opponents are constantly re-spawning without a set timer.

Is there a system that's implemented differently for objective gametypes?

They've already said that in the appropriate objective gametypes, there will not be instant respawning, such as Flag.

Top Bottom