• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Myyke

Neo Member
Either way, the map was designed to accommodate both MP and campaign. I remember when the Noble Map Pack came out and one of Tempest's designers said it felt so great to make an MP map without having to worry about campaign.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that the multiplayer maps in H4 are being designed purely for multiplayer, but there is still a big difference between "ripping them out of campaign" and designing a multiplayer space that can also be used as an asset in campaign. I don't really see how the on-disc maps in Reach were significantly negatively affected by their inclusion in campaign, aside from the fairly limited variety of locations and general shared aesthetics.

Looks like you double melee'd the wrong person too many times in 'that' battle canyon game!

I'm looking forward to the anti-Myyke effect.

My fists will find a way.......

Overdoziz

Banned
So ehm, I totally called the thing with headshots showing up in the middle of your screen. 343, I use the middle of my screen to look at things I want to shoot. Please don't clutter it up with pointless things like saying I got a headshot or a killing spree (which the announcer already screams at you anyway).

Please stop copying Call of Duty, thanks.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yes. In Crow's Nest, when you're on your way to the hangar bay for the first time, take a right instead of going at the point where the Warthog is destroyed.

So were the spoilers given in the Conan video actual spoilers? I don't see why Frankie would spoil the ending. :/

Frankie said already that there were no spoilers

Found it odd that people thought there were spoilers. The only spoiler is that there is a hangar with ships in it somewhere and the Chief may or may not walk by. :p

So ehm, I totally called the thing with headshots showing up in the middle of your screen. 343, I use the middle of my screen to look at things I want to shoot. Please don't clutter it up with pointless things like saying I got a headshot or a killing spree (which the announcer already screams at you anyway).

I'm sure other games have done this long before CoD.

I agree though, pop-ups on the side.

It's actually higher than your reticule by quite a bit. Unless you look at the floor all the time I hardly think it'll obstruct anything :/

Just hope they decease the appearances of shield doors and low-grav sections.

Have shield doors ever worked well on a map?
I am having trouble of thinking of one instance where they do.
It's kind of like armor lock, just adds another door into map flow.

And with a faster base movement speed, I feel like some low gravity areas might be fun in certain casual game modes, BTB for example.
But only if they don't butcher that beautiful frame rate you got going!
(Am I correct in thinking low gravity sections are more leggy due to their prolonged physics calculations?)

Found it odd that people thought there were spoilers. The only spoiler is that there is a hangar with ships in it somewhere and the Chief may or may not walk by. :p

I'm sure other games have done this long before CoD.

I agree though, pop-ups on the side.

On the side, with Jeff Steizer saying headshot for the sniper

That'd be nice

TheOddOne

For once, I agree with you. Cut it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that the multiplayer maps in H4 are being designed purely for multiplayer, but there is still a big difference between "ripping them out of campaign" and designing a multiplayer space that can also be used as an asset in campaign. I don't really see how the on-disc maps in Reach were significantly negatively affected by their inclusion in campaign, aside from the fairly limited variety of locations and general shared aesthetics.
You can tell by the quality. Tempest, Highlands, Noble and Defiant >>> Reach shipping maps.

It's actually higher than your reticule by quite a bit. Unless you look at the floor all the time I hardly think it'll obstruct anything :/

Well I have ADD, which I try not taking meds for, and things popping up on my screen distract the hell out of me.
And I'm a pretty competitive player so that does not sit well with me.
It is my user interface, no point for it force feed me information that I can gather from other subtle hints combined with competence.

Homeboyd

Still going for that job at 343, eh?

Always man. But when not pursuing that I always enjoy pointing out why your complaints are a bit farfetched. Look at it again. The text appears so far above your reticule.

Here

The text only covers where someone would be as he looks at the floor...

Edit: Now, the amount of text does seem silly, but the placement/intrusiveness of it? Not really imo.

Overdoziz

Banned
Always man. But when not pursuing that I always enjoy pointing out why your complaints are a bit farfetched. Look at it again. The text appears so far above your reticule.
You don't use the area around your reticule for looking at people? There's no reason for there to be text in the middle. It only obscures things, even if just a little. It's just another feature added to bring in the CoD players.

Myyke

Neo Member
You can tell by the quality. Tempest, Highlands, Noble and Defiant >>> Reach shipping maps.

What is your definition of "quality" though? I do enjoy the Noble and Defiant maps more than the shipping maps but mainly because they are, visually, very different from the offerings on-disc. I can still have just as much fun playing on the shipping maps as the DLC maps though, I have never felt handicapped by the design of any Reach map.

Overall it is actually taking up less screen real estate than Reach's notification system IMO. The medal pop-ups are much smaller, no "x killed by x" text scrolling up the left side of the screen. The Killing Spree/Headshot text is tiny in comparison to what you see in COD and fairly neutrally coloured.

Just out of interest Over, what do you think of the notification system in Battlefield 3?

Striker

It proves Certain Affinity has the ability to flesh out the core components of different games and craft great new experiences for them.
I love Max and the folks at CA, but some of their choices in the Reach DLC were pretty strange. The idea of Condemned and the low gravity center, the plethora of power weapons in Highlands and Battle Canyon. Not to mention the bomb placement which was freaking placed outside the base. The Rocket Hog in Unearthed's FF map. Maybe they were persuaded to do some of these things, who knows.

It was stated as being Holiday 2012 for quite some time I thought.

I meant that it was going back to the old Xbox days when 1/2 were released in November.

Where it belongs. Time to push CoD out of there! :)

I'll still buy both :\

The text popping up in Reach is in the lower left corner. In Halo 4 it's right in the freaking middle. That's the problem. Also, I remember seeing that text in previous screenshots so I wouldn't be surprised if it was back.

And yes, I hate the notifications in BF3. The moment you get a few kills while capturing a hill half your screen is filled with nonsense.

Oh god yes, I hate it in cod. When I watched the conan video I noticed the "Headshot" thing and shook my head. Oh well.

Overdoziz

Banned
Overall it is actually taking up less screen real estate than Reach's notification system IMO. The medal pop-ups are much smaller, no "x killed by x" text scrolling up the left side of the screen. The Killing Spree/Headshot text is tiny in comparison to what you see in COD and fairly neutrally coloured.

Just out of interest Over, what do you think of the notification system in Battlefield 3?
The text popping up in Reach is in the lower left corner. In Halo 4 it's right in the freaking middle. That's the problem. Also, I remember seeing that text in previous screenshots so I wouldn't be surprised if it was back.

And yes, I hate the notifications in BF3. The moment you get a few kills while capturing a hill half your screen is filled with nonsense.

I know you're asking Over, but BF3's system, along with other information, is ridiculous. I completely agree with him. It needs to be removed or possibly placed above the icons on the left.

So how'd you like the footage besides your complaints so far?

I love Max and the folks at CA, but some of their choices in the Reach DLC were pretty strange. The idea of Condemned and the low gravity center, the plethora of power weapons in Highlands and Battle Canyon. Not to mention the bomb placement which was freaking placed outside the base. The Rocket Hog in Unearthed's FF map. Maybe they were persuaded to do some of these things, who knows.

I thought Unearthed was easily the best Firefight map in Reach.
It was actually pleasant to look at, as well as the map flow worked fantastically with the AI.
I don't think the rocket hog was that overpowered either if you play on higher difficulties.

But I don't judge them at all for the faults of the Anniversary maps.
They didn't design the maps, 10 years old bungie studio did.
And the changes they did make, all pretty much worked to really improve the map flow.
The bomb placement is more of a gametypes thing, so I'm sure the 343i Reach team had their hand in that.

But yeah, the low gravity center of a map was a huge experiment that really didn't turn out too well.

My fists will find a way.......

muldoon.jpg

DLC was better than launch in 3 as well. That doesn't really prove anything.

While that is true, Reach was without shipping gems like Guardian, The Pit, and Valhalla, so there is still a point to be made. Not to mention that Reflection was almost dropped because they couldn't find a place to put it in campaign. Campaign and MP are two different things and of you try design something for both, it'll do neither very well.

Karl2177

I thought Unearthed was easily the best Firefight map in Reach.
It was actually pleasant to look at, as well as the map flow worked fantastically with the AI.
I don't think the rocket hog was that overpowered either if you play on higher difficulties.

But I don't judge them at all for the faults of the Anniversary maps.
They didn't design the maps, 10 years old bungie studio did.
And the changes they did make, all pretty much worked to really improve the map flow.
The bomb placement is more of a gametypes thing, so I'm sure the 343i Reach team had their hand in that.

But yeah, the low gravity center of a map was a huge experiment that really didn't turn out too well.
It's not about the Rocket Hog being overpowered, it's about it being a pretty explosion machine. It was a good Firefight map, but it's nowhere near Beachhead or Lost Platoon. Objective placement points were probably CA, because they were technically the primary developers on it. And their weapon placement is all over the board.

Some random thoughts on the podcast and some of the things that they said.

I'm not totally comfortable with the idea of buying weapons for your loadout yet, It still sounds like it's going to cause some serious balance issues, but I think they are taking some steps to ameliorate the worst problems. The reason COD generally manages not to fall apart is that the weapons have a ton of overlap, and the basic rifles can often be competitive against the top level weapons, and sometimes the best guns are available early on. This is a system that generally won't work for Halo, where there's generally not a lot of overlap between weapons. If this system existed in Halo 3, you'd be crazy not to take a BR or carbine. 343 seems to be taking steps to rectify this with having multiple weapons with overlapping roles, the DMR and BR for example. I'm sure the human pistol, covenant carbine will be there too. As long as each of these weapons can cover a lot of similar ground, and you have one you can start with the system can work. If not, it's going to be pretty problematic.

Weapon drops actually sound like a great idea to me, and it sounds like it's going to be really similar to the H1 weapon spawning system, replacing H1's simplicity with more visual information to achieve the same end; every one knows when and where weapons will spawn. I mean, timing weapon is a pretty low bar to clear, it will help the worst players, but for good players it doesn't really change how important skill and strategy is (I mean, I can time weapons and I fucking terrible Halo).

That killing spree text looked like it was a place holder to me. Hopefully it will be gone.

Edit: Hmmm I didn't realize it was followed by a slow delay then "headshot". Now I am not sure.

Light Machine Gun, relative to Assault Rifle:
  • Lower rate of fire, plus 'acceleration'*
  • Higher damage per bullet
  • Larger clip size
  • Increased recoil and bloom/spread
  • Longer reload time

* not sure of the technical term, but the ROF increases with time for a second until the ROF cap is reached

while i agree with you, i have a feeling it is just a place holder

m23

That killing spree text looked like it was a place holder to me. Hopefully it will be gone.

Edit: Hmmm I didn't realize it was followed by a slow delay then "headshot". Now I am not sure.

I think Frankie said this UI is close to what we'll see at launch. Hopefully it is just placeholder, but it may not be.

Top Bottom