• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

smh at people defending pointless and giant text in the middle of the screen.

slurp slurp

smh at people attacking every little thing they possibly can.

homer-eating-popcorn.jpg

But I agree, who gives a crap about the text? Come on people!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
while i agree with you, i have a feeling it is just a place holder

frankie said the hud was near final. i wouldnt expect the text to disappear or be moved. its a minor distraction, personally i dont see why anyone would get that worked up over it.

heckfu

Banned
I have to say I agree with the majority of people here on the text. When I watched the clip my eyes were immediately drawn from the map to the words on the screen and while I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world it's certainly a distraction.

Homeboyd

frankie said the hud was near final. i wouldnt expect the text to disappear or be moved. its a minor distraction, personally i dont see why anyone would get that worked up over it.
I think der made a good point though.. the delay from killing spree to headshot notifications is pretty long (the amount of time the text is on the screen for two notifications is a good chunk), but imagine you get a Overkill (w/ double & triple medals), exterm, revenge, headshot, killing spree, headcase kill. lol I know it's an extreme... but the text would be on the screen for a solid minute

A couple of you are like Jason Alexander from Shallow Hal. He plays a schlub who breaks up with super hot girls because of one minor physical fault. You see this awesome footage and can't help but still complain about the smallest of details.

didnt know he said that. well i hope they move the text because it is going to be annoying having it in the middle

Overdoziz

Banned
A couple of you are like Jason Alexander from Shallow Hal. He plays a schlub who breaks up with super hot girls because of one minor fault. You see this awesome footage and can't help but still complain about the smallest of details.
I'm not going to buy the game because text shows up in the middle.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I think der made a good point though.. the delay from killing spree to headshot is pretty long (the amount of time the text is on the screen for two notifications is a good chunk), but imagine you get a Overkill (double, triple medals), exterm, revenge, headshot, killing spree, headcase kill. lol I know it's an extreme... but the text would be on the screen for a solid minute

dont get me wrong, i'd prefer it moved or gone entirely, but its a minor issue in the gran scheme of things. even in your likely rare example (assuming it will keep stacking too - a big assumption), its pretty small and wouldnt block much of anything. its an eye sore, but i bet we'll barely notice it after a few games.

Trey

The text popping up in Reach is in the lower left corner

I didn't even know there was text in Reach. I liked that. Oh wait, now I know what you're referring to. "You killed xyz."

I am firmly in the "no text in the middle of the screen" camp. I can't even fathom way you would need it; you can actually tell that you killed somebody when you kill them in Halo unlike other shooters. Halo's feedback system has always been great in that regard.

I've been thinking about the instant spawn issue and part of me is accepting it. All the videos I've seen of the competitive players, who have memorized spawn points and know how to force the spawns, has made me rethink things. I don't approve of people who can just stand in one place anticipating an easy kill, and then still have time to meander on over to a second location to force another easy kill. It's not something that happens often during really competitive games, but I still think it's kind of lame. Instant spawns will rectify that to a degree. However, instant spawns also mean that idiot players become never-ending gun fodder as they never stop charging blindly into battle. So, people with randoms on their team have even more to fear from their teammates being dumb.

My biggest concern in the game so far continues to be the jetpack issue. It removes a player's responsibility to make good use of the map. If the jetpack doesn't get changed in significant ways, we'll see more of the same in Halo4.

I also don't really like sprint as a permanent ability. While it was useful and less obnoxious than other armor abilities, it's still a needless armor ability (halo doesn't need AA's) and I prefer increased base movement over everyone sprinting around, especially if everyone gets a second one in addition to sprint.
Some random thoughts on the podcast and some of the things that they said.

I'm not totally comfortable with the idea of buying weapons for your loadout yet, It still sounds like it's going to cause some serious balance issues, but I think they are taking some steps to ameliorate the worst problems. The reason COD generally manages not to fall apart is that the weapons have a ton of overlap, and the basic rifles can often be competitive against the top level weapons, and sometimes the best guns are available early on. This is a system that generally won't work for Halo, where there's generally not a lot of overlap between weapons. If this system existed in Halo 3, you'd be crazy not to take a BR or carbine. 343 seems to be taking steps to rectify this with having multiple weapons with overlapping roles, the DMR and BR for example. I'm sure the human pistol, covenant carbine will be there too. As long as each of these weapons can cover a lot of similar ground, and you have one you can start with the system can work. If not, it's going to be pretty problematic.

Weapon drops actually sound like a great idea to me, and it sounds like it's going to be really similar to the H1 weapon spawning system, replacing H1's simplicity with more visual information to achieve the same end; every one knows when and where weapons will spawn. I mean, timing weapon is a pretty low bar to clear, it will help the worst players, but for good players it doesn't really change how important skill and strategy is (I mean, I can time weapons and I fucking terrible Halo).
I think there will be some balance issues initially. But I'm resigning myself to the fact that it will become less and less of an issue over time, once everyone has played enough games and unlocked most of the more useful items.

m23

I guess the text does give you a sense of reward, but for "headshots?" A lot of our kills are from headshots and continuously seeing that in the middle of the screen will get pretty annoying, imagine playing SWAT lol.

If anything, I hope its customizable if not just a placeholder.

Homeboyd

Does anyone else see the xbox controller "wheel" in the bottom right hand corner next to the red team's score? (i.e. player 1 is playing on that screen) Is that what that is?

ibp1aKcB7dCxeo.gif

Also, plywood gif for new page. suckit

Fuchsdh

A couple of you are like Jason Alexander from Shallow Hal. He plays a schlub who breaks up with super hot girls because of one minor physical fault. You see this awesome footage and can't help but still complain about the smallest of details.

First off, it was Jack Black (I haven't even seen the movie how I remember that I have no clue.)

Secondly, what's wrong with suggesting minor fixes at a point where *they still can be changed?*

Would you rather a game be 95% great or 100% great? If you have the chance it's better to speak up now.

(Not saying every complaint is valid, but it's worth letting people know in a civil manner.)

I think there will be some balance issues initially. But I'm resigning myself to the fact that it will become less and less of an issue over time, once everyone has played enough games and unlocked most of the more useful items.

A lot of people seem to think the system will work out like this, after 3-4 hours they will have their BR and will never have to worry about it again, but then what are you working for? I think the upgrade treadmill is going to be longer than most people round here are expecting in order to make it satisfying, in which case having that overlap in functionality is going to be key in order to keep the playing field fair, and the upgrades focussed around giving you more options, not just making your spartan stronger.

Surely the text is a temporary placeholder and 343 wouldn't put that up in the middle of the screen in the real game.

Surely it'll be fixed later on.

Surely.

If the text in the middle of the HUD is going to stay, at least give me the option to disable it. 343 is constantly saying Halo 4 is about the player's choices, so give me that choice please. I really don't see the added value to the text popping up.

The BR battle looked great though. Loved all the little details.

Also, why would people think Frankie would spoil the ending of the game, 6,5 months before release?

First off, it was Jack Black (I haven't even seen the movie how I remember that I have no clue.)

Secondly, what's wrong with suggesting minor fixes at a point where *they still can be changed?*

Would you rather a game be 95% great or 100% great? If you have the chance it's better to speak up now.

(Not saying every complaint is valid, but it's worth letting people know in a civil manner.)

Nah, Jack Black is the main character. His buddy is Jason Alexander who I thought was more comparable. Suggestions are fine, I was speaking of people's method of approach that kinda gets me. People were complaining about important stuff before last nights footage was shown. Which is fine, but we were given very little info, so it was all still shooting in the dark.

Then we're given info and shown some solid seconds of footage, and people go from complaining about core gameplay to picking super minor details like "headshot" showing up in front of the screen. I just find it silly.

Overdoziz

Banned
Nah, Jack Black is the main character. His buddy is Jason Alexander who I thought was more comparable. Suggestions are fine, I was speaking of people's method of approach that kinda gets me. People were complaining about important stuff before last nights footage was shown. Which is fine, but we were given very little info, so it was all still shooting in the dark.

Then we're given info and shown some solid seconds of footage, and people go from complaining about core gameplay to picking super minor details like "headshot" showing up in front of the screen. I just find it silly.
Sorry for complaining about something I saw and didn't like. I'll ask you next time so you can tell me what to complain about. That way nobody gets hurt.

Sorry for complaining about something I saw and didn't like. I'll ask you next time so you can tell me what to complain about. That way nobody gets hurt.

Didn't you learn in elementary school to start with something you like, then give something that could be improved? Positivity, baby, it takes you places. I don't care, do what you want, in the end I'm complaining about your complaints, so I ain't doin that much better.

Trey

Didn't you learn in elementary school to start with something you like, then give something that could be improved? Positivity, baby, it takes you places. I don't care, do what you want, in the end I'm complaining about your complaints, so I ain't doin that much better.

Get rid of text in the middle of the screen.

Overdoziz

Banned
It's not like we saw anything new. It was practically the same footage as the .gif that's been posted for weeks now. So the thing that stood out most was the stupid text in the middle.

It's not like we saw anything new. It was practically the same footage as the .gif that's been posted for weeks now. So the thing that stood out most was the stupid text in the middle.

Jump height, BR recoil (whch was minimal at best), map design...

Nothing new. Oh Over, you're cute.

zlatko

Banned
So the whole Conan thing was a bit of a let down. It could've been a bit more awesome had the release date not been leaked I feel. Wasn't funny to me, and the .5 seconds of actual gameplay (while awesome) I felt wasn't near long enough.

Is it November yet?

cartmanfrozen.jpg

neoism

so any word on the fov or the scale, because the jump height just makes the Spartans looks small. Also since there is sprint is there any inertia at all or what...

Overdoziz

Banned

We've seen people jump in the Halo 4 first look vidoc, we've seen recoil in that gif and you don't see enough of the map to say anything worthwhile about it.

It's nothing really new.

Just like I thought, the podcast went a long way to explain the clusterfuck that was the GI article and alleviate most of the concerns I had. Music to my earholes.

Does anyone else see the xbox controller "wheel" in the bottom right hand corner next to the red team's score? (i.e. player 1 is playing on that screen) Is that what that is?
It's the 'back' button, which we've seen before. Seems likely that it'll tell you the gametype details.

edit: oh wait, I see what you're talking about. Seems really weird to have that on screen.

It kinda looks like the controller indicator but all I know is that guy just got on a killing spree.
How could you tell that from those tiny medals...oh, right. MIDDLE OF THE FRAKKING SCREEN.

Trey

Cortana Web is the best thing I've heard in the podcast. Really solid way to try and balance the various elements of the sandbox.

Do not like the RPS AA design. Completely opposite of what I want AAs to be.

We've seen people jump in the Halo 4 first look vidoc, we've seen recoil in that gif and you don't see enough of the map to say anything worthwhile about it.

It's nothing really new.

Well that BR recoil really seems to undermine the BR vs DMR debate, would you not agree? If that is the sort of recoil that has been mentioned then I see no reason why ood BR players couldn't beat DMR players even at the outer lmits of long range combat, where Ellis had originally stated the DMR would be btter. I agree, the DMR will be optimal at firing at those distances as there will be no recoil to deal with but a good/great BR player will be able to hit DMR players with at least 2 of the 3 shots it would seem. Would you agree?

Top Bottom