• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Give me insurrectionists to kill.
For some reason I have the feeling that 343 wants to keep mainline Halo games a little more family friendly than this. Fighting insurrectionists would be cool with me though. It would be fun to see what kind of clunky home-spun weapons they would use against Spartans (rumble drugs?).

One of the Spartan Ops missions really needs to be John's first mission as a Spartan where they break into the rebel colony and kidnap that dude.

I do not think that you are playing flashbacks in Spartan Ops. As a fiction fan, I do not really want to see scenes of the book in a videogame, they would destroy my vision/imagination of that specific scene. But I think I'm the only one.

So what you're saying is, "I don't want them to repost moments from the fiction inside the games". At least you are consistent! I get the feeling that your MP Spartan, and other Spartan IVs will be the participants in the SpartOps, which means no flashbacks and probably no Chief.

One of the Spartan Ops missions really needs to be John's first mission as a Spartan where they break into the rebel colony and kidnap that dude.
I do believe Spartan Ops presents a unique opportunity to bring different "historical battles" to life, and while I imagine most will be real missions that the Infinity deploys to, I would be surprised to see some simulations in later iterations if S OPs is successful.

NEEDLER GRENADES!

This...Hm.. This kinda sounds awesome and terrifying. :lol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
All of your Spartans are fat.
I can't stand the bulkiness of Reach spartans.

playermodel.ashx

Male/Female choice in H4 please.

For some reason I have the feeling that 343 wants to keep mainline Halo games a little more family friendly than this. Fighting insurrectionists would be cool with me though.
Rated M for Mature.

That's a big knock against that point. The fact that we can (and will) bloodily bludgeon Conan O'Brien to death.

So what you're saying is, "I don't want them to repost moments from the fiction inside the games". At least you are consistent! I get the feeling that your MP Spartan, and other Spartan IVs will be the participants in the SpartOps, which means no flashbacks and probably no Chief.
I can not wait to write a dozen fan fiction about my Spartan IV.

Shadders

It's a good thing. Kinect support doesn't mean Kinect exclusivity. And we don't even know what Kinect 2.0 is capable of.

Mirrors Edge 2, on the next Xbox. That's a win in my book.

Unannounced game using unannounced accessory on unannounced hardware. Rumour^3

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Spartan Ops sounds like a good way to get people back, it's like DLC, but weekly and free. (It'd better be free)

And if nothing else, future ops can be included in DLC w/ future map packs similar to firefight.

Hmm...the trailer seems as if the spartan ops are in different locations than the multiplayer maps. One can only hope for unique designs.

What else would they name it? Spartan Duty? Spartan Warfare? Call of Spartan? There only so many names they could've used, Ops seems a decent enough pick of the bunch.

it just kind of sounds silly. you'd figure with 200+ people they could think of something better. At least infinity instead of multiplayer doesn't sound like an 8 year old made it up.

Rated M for Mature.

That's a big knock against that point. The fact that we can (and will) bloodily bludgeon Conan O'Brien to death.

Oh, I know, believe me it's really weird that we have yet to fight humans in any Halo game (unless any of us went rogue and started butchering allies). There's no reason it should be that way, but it just seems like they don't want the point of the game to be the killing of human beings. Again, I think it's silly too, but it just feels like they don't want to portray Master Chief or whoever the hero is in their games as someone who would kill humans. At the very least it differentiates Halo from CoD so that ought to keep kyle happy.

I can not wait to write a dozen fan fiction about my Spartan IV.
Like Halo 4, these will also be rated M for Mature--but for different reasons

Woorloog

Banned
I don't understand "logistics" of Spartan Ops.
I'd assume the CGI story piece is streamed (and hopefully watchable on Youtube as well, Waypoint site runs like shit on this laptop and my Xbox doesn't stream properly (i assume the connection is simply too slow for streaming)).
But the missions? They cannot re-use campaign spaces really, unless there's a good reason for it. Multiplayer maps? No way.
I understood these missions will be set on new places anyway... i really doubt all these missions are already included on the disc, so we'd be downloading them. How many weeks worth of content there will be? And how big are these downloads, if they're downloads. Also, we get 5 missions per week, are those 5 missions set on the same location or do we get 5 different locations each week?
And please tell me the earlier missions will be available later on as well, in case one doesn't have enough time to finish them, i hate non-recurring events in games.
Oh and can we solo play them or are they always co-op missions? Unless the co-op netcode is overhauled, co-op over Live is practically unplayable.
Otherwise, the concept is awesome.

Shadders

TCXgj.jpg

Notice the icon on the radar to show the Ordnance.

Grenage icons on the move again, in the top right as opposed to the left in the Conan O'Brien video.

What the heck is that in the top left? An Armour Ability?

I'm really starting to think we're getting customisable HUD :D

CyReN

Really like the sounds of it, just hope it doesn't get repetitive like Firefight and boring like MW series Spec Ops.

The more I start to hear about Spartan Ops, the more I start to love it. It really is a great concept.

Wish I could say that about the weapon drops :p

About the HUD differences: The HUD you see in the GI videos is older than the one used in the Conan video. That's probably why the locations of certain information is different.

Fracas

#fuckonami
With any luck, Halo 4's controls are customizable, as is the HUD. My control setup would be similar to Halo 3's:
LT-Grenade
RT-Shoot
A-Jump
B-Melee
X-Swap AA
Y-Swap Weapon
LB-AA use
RB-Reload
Click RS-Zoom
Click LS-Crouch
D-pad-swap grenade

Ryaaan14

Banned
I bet year 1 (or Chapter 1, Op 1, Book 1, whatever they call the thing that lasts for the first several months after release) will be free and then the DLC will come.

I think it would be a good model to keep the current map pack DLC schedule as the past few games have had, but throw in a Spartan Ops mission or two. A lot of people aren't thrilled about paying $10 for maps nowadays, and I think doing this will help push people.

Shadders

The more I start to hear about Spartan Ops, the more I start to love it. It really is a great concept.

Wish I could say that about the weapon drops :p

About the HUD differences: The HUD you see in the GI videos is older than the one used in the Conan video. That's probably why the locations of certain information is different.

It's possible, but they've been different so many times now. I think this is a clue they were expecting us to pick up on.

And the AA was right above the radar in the conan vid.. now its at the top of the screen...

The Conan one is newer (grenades top left, AA above radar on the left.

With any luck, Halo 4's controls are customizable, as is the HUD. My control setup would be similar to Halo 3's:
LT-Grenade
RT-Shoot
A-Jump
B-Melee
X-Swap AA
Y-Swap Weapon
LB-AA use
RB-Reload
Click RS-Zoom
Click LS-Crouch
D-pad-swap grenade

You don't have sprint on your control scheme lol.

Swapping AA's will probably not be a part of the base gameplay, so I assume that it will be the same button as reload, just like in Reach.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The lady under that armor needs to eat a sandwich.
QAUiL.gif

I want to believe.
We all do.
I think if we were going to get dedicated servers they would've announced it by now.
That's what they want you to think, they're only hitting us with the soft stuff like 720p and FXAA. Then -BLAMO!- DEDI'S.

/pipedream
It'll just go directly to her ass.
It already does, have you used the female model?
The female model should be larger statistically speaking.
Explain.

Overdoziz

Banned
If Halo 4 has a customizable HUD than that would be a thing I would like.
As long as you let me remove that dumb text in the middle of my screen.

Halo 4 needs 3's Rogue, Scout and Recon helmets.

120px-RogueArmor.png
120px-ScoutArmor.png
120px-ReconArmor.png

So cool looking. Obviously Mk. V is top priority though. :p

Spartan.ashx
scout helmet is one of the ugliest helmets ever

It's a good thing. Kinect support doesn't mean Kinect exclusivity. And we don't even know what Kinect 2.0 is capable of.

Mirrors Edge 2, on the next Xbox. That's a win in my book.
fuck that. mirror's edge controlled almost perfectly (movement, not combat). having to actually run and jump or whatever would be stupid.

Top Bottom