• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Too long of a range for the AR, but what I'm really interested in is how the abundance of precision weapons will balance.

The podcast talked about how the BR and DMR balance out, but there's also the magnum and 'combat carbine' (name now changed) in the mix. So that's at least four precision weapons in the mix.

Yea, maybe the assault rifle should tie br at close mid range, and the pistol would tie the br at mid range. The Carbine rifle could be in between dmr and br, and the asssault carbine (I think thats what its called?) could be slightly closer range than assault.

A lot of people seem to think the system will work out like this, after 3-4 hours they will have their BR and will never have to worry about it again, but then what are you working for? I think the upgrade treadmill is going to be longer than most people round here are expecting in order to make it satisfying, in which case having that overlap in functionality is going to be key in order to keep the playing field fair, and the upgrades focussed around giving you more options, not just making your spartan stronger.
I doubt Frankie and David can say anything, but it would be interesting to know what the estimated time requirements will be for unlocking stuff. I'd prefer weapons and abilities to come off the list first and not after too much time, while purely aesthetic stuff like new armor taking a little while longer. The stuff in Reach took ridiculously too long in my opinion.

The GI article stated that you could customize 5 things for your loadout:
-Primary weapon
-Secondary weapon
-Grenade type
-Armor Ability
-Something called modifications

That indicates, to me, that there will be another layer of customization. Perhaps some parts on your armor that you can change which will alter the player traits in a way? Could be a lot of things.
That could also be like a secondary use for weapons kind of like Perfect Dark. That pistol with the crazy looking rocket-piece on it could be just such a thing.
I think it looks awesome personally, im a little worried that its going to be 5 shots to kill, but even despite the shoddy play the kill time was really quick.
Same. Not really a fan of 5 shot kills.
Too long of a range for the AR, but what I'm really interested in is how the abundance of precision weapons will balance.

The podcast talked about how the BR and DMR balance out, but there's also the magnum and 'combat carbine' (name now changed) in the mix. So that's at least four precision weapons in the mix.
I've been wondering about the magnum this whole time. Is it going to be another weiner weapon like it was in Halo3? The pistol in Reach was a big improvement, but Bungie still gimped the crap out of it making a weak weapon choice. Personally, and probably against most people's opinions, I'd prefer to see the AR only really useful at super close range a la the shotgun. It's such a cop out/crutch weapon. The pistol should be a highly effective counter to the AR at mid to close range (excluding the uber close range I just mentioned). Or maybe they could just take the AR out of the game like Halo2 :p I'm sick of it trying to be balanced into Halo. It's the closest thing to a Call of Duty weapon in the series...

halo_reach_helmet_commando_1.bmp

Unarguably the best helmet.
My space ghost setup disagrees

jk4zEUhVLI8uq.png

Fuchsdh

The only helmets I don't want to return because they have absolutely no redeeming value is GUNGNIR and EOD.

Those are some ugly helms.

From a canonical perpective I wish they'd actually have less armor chunks and a greater variety of smaller add-ons and tweaks. It makes no sense that they developed three dozen armor perms that were only ever used by a dozen Spartans at most.

Grenadier was my favorite. Add in the gold visor and it's beastly. The Security helmet in Reach was a letdown
bring back the fishbowl please!
grenadier%20ua.jpg

Would I use this if it were available? Yes, yes I would.
images

Maybe even this!
wDB42.St.91.jpg

So is the stupid text in the middle placeholder or what?

Yeah, they need to increase the size, add a monk chant when it pops up and have an animated font yet.

As long as its not like battlefield, which literally obscured combat with like 50 pop ups at a time, I will be fine with it, seems small enough. I would prefer to just have medals and killfeed in the lower left like in the past, but the ADHD crowd probably need more than that lol.

I would love to get some more sci-fi inspired armor, both retro and modern.. Also, I wonder what the odds of unlocking forerunner armor will eventually be.

Like Gears 3, I guess. Retro Lancer, Lancer, and Hammerburst. Three rifles with different strengths and weaknesses that are pretty balanced against each other, and picking a weapon is more about personal preference and playstyle.
Yup, sounds like you start with AR primary, pistol secondary and have to unlock other weapons that fit those roles mentioned. I also suspect there to be more variations of simliar weapons like BR/DMR/Carbine/NR.

I do wonder what type of guns will be available as secondary weapons, and if we will see things like the 'missile pistol' available.

"Pre-Order Halo 4 and get the Season Pass for free". I'm okay with that.
I wouldn't mind this. That or something like the Gears 2 "flashback mappack", maybe allow Certain Affinity to get some day 1 maps out there.

please allow AR as secondary. BR+AR ftw

how are they gonna handle weapons like shotguns, swords and needlers? Big flashy ordnance drops for those seems a bit much.
I could see the AR as a hard to unlock secondary. As for swords/shotguns/etc I am wondering the same thing. I assume map based weapons will continue to spawn normally with only certain weapons using the ordinance system.. I hope 343 covers this information more thoroughly after the GI exclusivity is over.
I still think a bow weapon could be fucking awesome. We have swords and hammers, we can have a bow. Make it an alien thing if it's to "unrealistic" for humans to use it. You could even make it specific to a certain species -- the ancestral sniper bow of the Jackals or something.
I would love for some more out there weapons that tied into the universe in a grounded way, I like the idea of an energy bow from the Jackals.. The energy spears that the elites used would also be a cool weapon.

Gui_PT

Even if it's small, the placing is so stupid. It'd work perfectly on the bottom left corner or below the medals in that video.

If Frankie of David haven't commented, I guess it's not placeholder

While Halo 3's helmets need a few more passes to make them a little less goofy sometimes, I agree they stood out more than they do in Reach.. Also, Reach butchered the awesome EVA helmet.. Hm I wonder if we will get Ghosts of Onyx SPI armor..

Even if it's small, the placing is so stupid. It'd work perfectly on the bottom left corner or below the medals in that video.

I find it less annoying than armor effects to be perfectly honest, but I get the complaint.. Ill live if it isn't place holder, I think I would forget and get used to it pretty quickly.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I hate bulk, so I go for the least bulky Spartan possible. I was using the female model until recently. I hate the people that put every huge armor piece imaginable on their Spartan and make them look ridiculous.

Spartan.ashx

The armor perms are one of the things I'm most excited about. I get positively giddy (it's bad) when thinking of having a bunch of new (and returning) armor pieces (especially helmets) to look at and see the fictional setting involved (felt like I needed more parentheses).

Can't wait to see more. Wouldn't mind seeing the Halo 3-style Marine pilot helmet available as an option.

Gui_PT

Never change, NeoGAF.

The hell is wrong with what I said?

They're usually nice enough to let us know when we're worrying about something we shouldn't.

I'm not demanding anything. But they usually comment in situations like this. If not, it's because that's what it'll be like when the game's done.

Spartan.ashx

DA BEST. I dunno, I just really like default Six. Technically VGA trailer Six since they eventually changed the kneepads and removed the little hat thingy for the default, but this is the original!

blamite

Love that chest piece on the recon. Is that one in Reach?
No, that's Halo 3's Recon chest, I don't think Reach has anything that cool.

Which reminds me of how Halo 3's armor permutations were mainly replacements for armor pieces, like an dntire new chest piece, or a new set of shoulders, whereas Reach gives you a set piece of chest armor and only lets you attach smaller plating and bags and such on top of it. I vastly prefer Halo 3's method, if only there were more unique armor pieces (and places to put them) it would make each Spartan look much more unique.

Pilot is awesome. I've been using it since I first got it.

Oh hell yeah. Pilot is badass (sans the toupee in my opinion). That's what I rock as well. Not to mention that Noble Six (B-312) was, well, a freaking pilot.

I actually really like Operator as well, if for nothing else than it has a badass fictional relevance behind it.

While playing Reach I can never differentiate between armour pieces. On a slight tangeant the Halo 4 Spartans look incredible, as soon as I can get rid of the huge chin I think they will be the best looking Spartans so far.

I agree, its really useless, im hoping its placeholder but if its not, hopefully its discreet and not going to be too distracting.

Spartan.ashx

DA BEST. I dunno, I just really like default Six. Technically VGA trailer Six since they eventually changed the kneepads and removed the little hat thingy for the default, but this is the original!

Silly as it is, I always found it tough to go with the Mk V(b), especially in a Steel like that, as it felt like that was Thom's Six. Always felt weird seeing it on B-312.

I played my first MLG match today and it was a lot of fun.

First I thought we would lose badly because we were behind 3 flags for 8-10minutes and then we captured 3 flags. So we got to a tie of 4vs4. Unfortunately they got the last flag.

Well can I get an optional comic font style mode where if I snipe someone it says "BLAINERRRRRRR!!!" then I go for the dub but get scoped out but still get the headshot "NOSCOOOPE!"

Then later I out DMR a kid and its like GET SHIT ON!

zlatko

Banned
So am I the only one who used a female spartan? I think MGO and Reach are the only games I've played a female character. The ladies' size and how armor fit just looked better to me in Reach.

blamite

Oh hell yeah. Pilot is badass (sans the toupee in my opinion). That's what I rock as well. Not to mention that Noble Six (B-312) was, well, a freaking pilot.

I actually really like Operator as well, if for nothing else than it has a badass fictional relevance behind it.

Operator is great, I used it from when I first bought it until I could afford Mk. V. Pilot is pretty nice too, I never noticed how good the gold visor makes it look. Kind of cool how armor color and visor color can totally change the look of a helmet.

Top Bottom