• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

This is what I was thinking.

AR gonna be nasty. Gonna be Halo 1 quantities of pain I imagine.

And unlocks, gonna be in Spartan Ops alot ;)

You can't start with 2 primaries. But I imagine people will try to pick up a DMR on the field depending on the map.
You can't? I don't remember hearing that in the podcast, but I could have glossed over it. Kind of goes against the "custom loadout" concept though, doesn't it?

daedalius

You can't? I don't remember hearing that in the podcast, but I could have glossed over it. Kind of goes against the "custom loadout" concept though, doesn't it?

Well I mean I don't know for sure if you can't choose 2 primaries; but then what is the point of having a primary and secondary weapon?

They'd just say 'weapons' and you get 2.

I think being able to take a BR and DMR would limit the sandbox as well, you should have to make a choice.

There's nothing stopping you from say, picking BR in your load-out, then swapping out your secondary for a DMR when you find it on the map

Exactly, I just don't know if you can spawn with the BR and DMR.

You obviously aren't tied to what you spawn with like 'other' games.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I really don't think all non-power weapons should be included in load outs. For example, everyone spawning with plasma pistols in BTB would make vehicles pointless. There has to be some restrictions on certain load out weapons, whether it's map specific, gametype specific, or only allowed in custom games.

after watching the conan clip with the BR, I really hope they can release just the sound of the BR firing.

I know the volume was lowered to hear conan's voice but it sounded silenced almost.

Why does that go against the concept?

5 primary weapons (BR, DMR, AR, etc.)
5 secondary weapons (Magnum, PP, etc.)
3 grenade types
5 armor abilities

That's 375 possible custom loadouts right there. Plenty of customization. Those are very, very conservative numbers too.

Going with the tired CoD comparisons, you can only equip 2 primary weapons if you pick the Overkill perk. Otherwise you pick one primary (rifle) and one secondary (pistol).

Yeah, I really don't think all non-power weapons should be included in load outs. For example, everyone spawning with plasma pistols in BTB would make vehicles pointless. There has to be some restrictions on certain load out weapons, whether it's map specific, gametype specific, or only allowed in custom games.

Yeah, I'm anxious to see how vehicle combat has been changed.

It would be pretty funny if you could always spawn with the BR/PP noob combo... :p

There's nothing stopping you from say, picking BR in your load-out, then swapping out your secondary for a DMR when you find it on the map

I'm really sorry if I'm missing something, but I still haven't seen confirmation that weapons will spawn on the map. I know at the beginning we'll get power weapons pre-spawned and waiting for us, then as the game goes on we'll get ordinance drops, AND we can pick up weapons from dudebros that we kill, but I can't find an example of someone from 343 coming out and saying "there will be non-power weapons spawning around the map".

daedalius

I'm really sorry if I'm missing something, but I still haven't seen confirmation that weapons will spawn on the map. I know at the beginning we'll get power weapons pre-spawned and waiting for us, then as the game goes on we'll get ordinance drops, AND we can pick up weapons from dudebros that we kill, but I can't find an example of someone from 343 coming out and saying "there will be non-power weapons spawning around the map".

I imagine just like ordnance, 'regular' weapons will be scattered around the field just as we have it now.

This hasn't been confirmed, but I see no reason why they wouldn't do this. They obviously don't fall from the sky in a droppod though ;)

Is the AR considered a primary weapon? Could I have it as a secondary? I guess if all players are going to start off like that, I guess not.

I think the only things we know are 'primary' weapons are the BR and DMR at this point. I'm assuming Covvie carbine is in there, but that could just be a single player weapon.

Just watched the Conan clip. I really hope we get those Conan and Andy death screams, at least unlockable with a skull or something.

Also, their crate banter should be added with the IWHBYD skull, if it still exists.

My wishes for the starting weapons in Halo 4:

Human:
Primary: BR, DMR, AR, (Assault Carbine?)
Secondary: Reach pistol, ODST pistol
Covenant:
Primary: Carbine, Needle Rifle, Plasma rifle, (Assault Carbine?)
Secondary: Can't think of any really
''Ancient Evil'':
Primary: BR-like weapon, DMR-like weapon, CQC automatic weapon, another CQC weapon
Secondary: 2 New pistol

So that would bring the total amount of primary weapons to 12 and the secondary weapons to 3 which gives 36 different combinations.

MrBig

Or this controller should just come back with Halo 4 branding, and I can call it good. I miss this controller so much:

Radica-FPS-Master.jpg

For those that don't know what this is, it's the FPS Master controller. It was for the original Xbox. A,B,X,Y were all mapped on bottom side of the handles, and it was my go-to controller for Halo 2. Only things I would change/add to this are bumpers obviously somewhere near the triggers and of course the aesthetic.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS
I loved that thing

Well I mean I don't know for sure if you can't choose 2 primaries; but then what is the point of having a primary and secondary weapon?

They'd just say 'weapons' and you get 2.

I think being able to take a BR and DMR would limit the sandbox as well, you should have to make a choice.

Exactly, I just don't know if you can spawn with the BR and DMR.

You obviously aren't tied to what you spawn with like 'other' games.
I'd probably never choose two distance-based weapons because it seems like a dumb choice, but I mainly wanted to know if I missed something. :)

Why does that go against the concept?

5 primary weapons (BR, DMR, AR, etc.)
5 secondary weapons (Magnum, PP, etc.)
3 grenade types
5 armor abilities

That's 375 possible custom loadouts right there. Plenty of customization. Those are very, very conservative numbers too.

Going with the tired CoD comparisons, you can only equip 2 primary weapons if you pick the Overkill perk. Otherwise you pick one primary (rifle) and one secondary (pistol).
Using your setup, you'd never be allowed to have an Assault Rifle paired with a distance weapon unless you were able to choose two primary weapons as a start, which was the point of my questioning. I think it's a smart choice to limit what weapons you can have in a loadout (no PP, for instance), but I don't think the combinations should be limited in any way, apart from having the exact same weapon as a first and second choice.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That's it, we clearly need more answers. UNLEASH THE TWITTER SPAM.

Secondary: Reach pistol, ODST pistol
Whoa, I never thought of the possibility of two human pistols. How would the ODST one be different? Weaker but with a larger magazine?

Homeboyd

El Señor Fronklenator, I have a question that someone from TWP would like me to deliver to you personally. Since I am sure that you get mad crazy messages in your inbox here now that you're on some Gary-Whitta-status-celebrity-shit from being a huge late night tv star, I'll just ask you here:

asayboy writes:
OH MY GOD! CHOPPERS! TELL ME THEY ARE COMING BACK FRANKIE!!! Boyd, go ask Neogaf if choppers are coming back! DO IT!!!

The WorkPLace

El Señor Fronklenator, I have a question that someone from TWP would like me to deliver to you personally. Since I am sure that you get mad crazy messages in your inbox here now that you're on some Gary-Whitta-status-celebrity-shit from being a huge late night tv star now, I'll just ask you here:

Asayboy writes:
TWP?

Is the AR considered a primary weapon? Could I have it as a secondary? I guess if all players are going to start off like that, I guess not.
You can use the AR as your primary and secondary weapon at the same time.
lol Hell no If I know

If 343i announces the pro-pipe as a secondary weapon, everything and anything will be forgiven and I would be unable to criticize them until release.

Whoa, I never thought of the possibility of two human pistols. How would the ODST one be different? Weaker but with a larger magazine?

Yea, bigger clip but weaker. And maybe they could somehow implement the silencer in a way that it actually has some effect in multiplayer.

I'd actually like to see some silenced weapons and with that actual stealth sequences in campaign and Spartan Ops for Halo 4. The stealth sequences in previous Halo games were kinda ruined because the enemies knew were you were as soon as you fired your sniper.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Yea, bigger clip but weaker. And maybe they could somehow implement the silencer in a way that it actually has some effect in multiplayer.

I'd actually like to see some silenced weapons and with that actual stealth sequences in campaign and Spartan Ops for Halo 4. The stealth sequences in previous Halo games were kinda ruined because the enemies knew were you were as soon as you fired your sniper.

Bigger clip, less damage, larger damage taper due to silencer

Toy with recoil, bloom (if there is any),

If > means "a consistent amount greater than", then

Close Range AR>>BR>>DMR

Close Mid Range AR>BR>>DMR

Mid Range AR=BR>DMR

Mid Long Range AR<BR=DMR

Long Range AR<<BR<DMR

Very Long Range AR<<BR<<DMR

This is how I want it.

Big E33

Neo Member
If > means greater than, then

Close Range AR>>BR>>DMR

Mid Range AR=BR>DMR

Mid Long Range AR<BR=DMR

Long Range AR<<BR<DMR

This is how I want it.

I think if the player with the BR hits all his shots he should win the fight, if he misses one then the AR should kill him

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Close Range AR>>BR>>DMR

Mid Range AR=BR>DMR

Mid Long Range AR<BR=DMR

Long Range AR<<BR<DMR

This is how I want it.
I was about to say you're trolling, but then I realized you changed the direction of the arrows. But I'm still suspicious. :p

feel

please allow AR as secondary. BR+AR ftw

how are they gonna handle weapons like shotguns, swords and needlers? Big flashy ordnance drops for those seems a bit much.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I still think a bow weapon could be fucking awesome. We have swords and hammers, we can have a bow. Make it an alien thing if it's to "unrealistic" for humans to use it. You could even make it specific to a certain species -- the ancestral sniper bow of the Jackals or something.

Someone actually likes CQB helmet? Ew.
It's one of my favorites! :-O

daedalius

how are they gonna handle weapons like shotguns, swords and needlers? Big flashy ordnance drops for those seems a bit much.

Probably just regular spawns I'd imagine.

I still think a bow weapon could be fucking awesome. We have swords and hammers, we can have a bow. Make it an alien thing if it's to "unrealistic" for humans to use it. You could even make it specific to a certain species -- the ancestral sniper bow of the Jackals or something.

Been looking at that Crysis 3 art eh?

WJD

I have a worrying feeling that the Sword will be an ordnance drop (fair enough) and the needler and shotty will be loadout weapons (please god no).

GhaleonEB

Close Range AR>>BR>>DMR

Mid Range AR=BR>DMR

Mid Long Range AR<BR=DMR

Long Range AR<<BR<DMR

This is how I want it.

Too long of a range for the AR, but what I'm really interested in is how the abundance of precision weapons will balance.

The podcast talked about how the BR and DMR balance out, but there's also the magnum and 'combat carbine' (name now changed) in the mix. So that's at least four precision weapons in the mix.

"We want people to use more of the weapon sandbox."

I'm pretty sure allowing BR/AR loadouts would go against that completely, because that is all anyone would ever pick. (Or BR/DMR, AR/DMR, etc.) Why would you ever pick the Magnum?

Not gonna happen.

(Aside from customs.)

Top Bottom