• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Yeah, but the story was very minimalistic. The story in the first four seasons was mainly an excuse to get Sarge and the gang into really stupid situations and see how they reacted. The "story" was them. As such, it was really easy to follow and you could mostly ignore it. Nowadays it's very convoluted.

The way I see it, people watch RvB for two reasons:
1. It's funny
2. Sarge and the gang (and the chemistry among them) are a lot of fun.

The first four minutes of that episode had neither.
I'll give you that. Though personally, that's the kind of story I like; it's not just what it seems to be on the surface, and there's meaningful connectivity among all events. That's why I liked Lost so much.

Fairly early on in the show (RvB), around the transition to Halo 2, they did one of my favorite sequences. I'll spoiler it I guess.
Church was blasted into the past (back to Marathon lol) and continuously went back to try to stop Wyoming(?) from blowing everything up. At one point all of his iterations met up to discuss all the ways they failed. One of them was gold colored for some reason, and said "don't ask." A couple seasons later, they finally explained the inconsequential thing that caused it to happen.
It's just stuff like that.

Overdoziz

Banned
It does look unnecessarily busy. Loads of tiny stuff sticking out and thin railings everywhere. Wish they would've gone with a simpler looking human theme like Alexandria.

Ramirez

Of course there's a basis, the basis is that aesthetically it looks cluttered and muddy.

If anything, it reminds me of Foundry and I never had a problem seeing people on that map. Most of the stuff that you type is hyperbole to the extreme so whatever I guess, heh.

Yes, Warhouse looks a little cluttered and with the fast pace should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Yes, Wraparound looks awesome and pretty and I can't wait to play it.

And finally, hopefully we hear the new names for these maps soon since they said in the last sparkast that they're formally known as "wraparound" and "warhouse".

Warhouse may look cluttered and it definitely has some unnecessary elements added purely for aesthetic value (mech?), but that's the direction the designs seem to be heading in if reach can be used as any indication.

I wouldn't say it's ugly, though. That's pretty subjective anyways. Also, we won't really know if it's a good map until we can play it (or possibly watch it played at e3.) I'd say it reminds me of countdown judging from the barn footage.

Overdoziz

Banned
This talk reminds me that some time ago I tried to bounce a grenade off of a fence behind the staircases on Countdown and it went right in between the gap between two fences. Stuff like that is so dumb.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
you guys complaining about throwing nades in cluttered areas sound like noobs. you need more skill to place them on the surfaces you want for perfect bounce. a busy map seperates the bad kids from the loopofhenle's of the world

daedalius

Warhouse may look cluttered and it definitely has some unnecessary elements added purely for aesthetic value (mech?), but that's the direction the designs seem to be heading in if reach can be used as any indication.

I wouldn't say it's ugly, though. That's pretty subjective anyways. Also, we won't really know if it's a good map until we can play it (or possibly watch it played at e3.) I'd say it reminds me of countdown judging from the barn footage.

As if you could tell anything from that mess, lol.

What a terrible video.

Warhouse may look cluttered in the bit they showed officially, but from what I could see from the leaked footage (which wasn't much at all) it seems to alright. You really can't judge a map off of its visuals only, and a lot of detail doesn't always mean cluttered.. I would almost imagine it has more to do with the art style of the map rather than the geometry.

vhfive

If anything, it reminds me of Foundry and I never had a problem seeing people on that map. Most of the stuff that you type is hyperbole to the extreme so whatever I guess, heh.

Looks similar to Anchor 9 or Condemned to me. I didn't have a problem with too much clutter on either of those maps so I'm not to worried.

As long as the collision geometry is sound then I'm fine with the look of the map. No stuck grenades please. The spartans are pretty vividly colorful so I don't see a problem in actually seeing them on the map either

I remember I threw a nade at a cold storage wall and instead of bouncing it literally just stuck to it like those velcro ball and paddles. Shit was so dumb I just shook my head and turned off my Xbox.

kylej

Banned
I don't really see how it has anything to do with hyperbole. The Pit has giant yellow walls stretching around the map, flat grey and green surfaces, and some ramps. Warhouse has brown walls lined with pipes and lights and reflective metal, along with multiple staircases, crates, and a giant mech. It's not really a stretch to think it will be harder to see enemies or play competitively on when compared to The Pit's aesthetic. Agree to disagree I guess.

Woorloog

Banned
As we talk about map visuals and stuff... lists, people, lists.

Maps whose looks i didn't/still don't like:

H3:
The Pit

H2:
Colossus
Elongation (just meh, not real dislike)
Desolation

HCE:
Non-outdoors maps/most small maps in Halo CE

Can't say i really don't like any map's visuals (not counting Forge World) in Reach, some are a bit meh but most are very good.

Of these, only map whose gameplay i didn't like is the Pit. In Halo 3, that is. I just found it somehow infuriating, regardless of the gametype or starting weapons. In Halo Reach MLG, the map is golden.
Well, actually, i didn't like any indoors map in Halo CE either.

happens all the time on Reflection

Reflection is the worst map since Ivory Tower.

Certain Affinity power weapon scheme all over that hot garbage.

I remember the nades on Rats Nest that hit the straight ground and decide to bounce back towards you. Those were fun.

Or the nades on Standoff that hit that piece of twig tree and instead of pushing it over just stop dead cold and blow up in your face.

Glorious Halo 3 crappage.

As we talk about map visuals and stuff... lists, people, lists.

Maps whose looks i didn't/still don't like:

H3:
The Pit

H2:
Colossus
Elongation (just meh, not real dislike)
Desolation

HCE:
Non-outdoors maps in Halo CE

Can't say i really don't like any map's visuals (not counting Forge World) in Reach, some are a bit meh but most are very good.

Of these, only map whose gameplay i didn't like is the Pit. In Halo 3, that is. I just found it somehow infuriating, regardless of the gametype or starting weapons. In Halo Reach MLG, the map is golden.
Well, actually, i didn't like any indoors map in Halo CE either.
MLG Pit was godtier. Being able to jump out of the objective pit and onto plat and stuff like that really helped

Reflection is made with space wood, very spongy material.
I think the grenades are just coated in wood glue, and so that's the only map that's affected

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I remember I threw a nade at a cold storage wall and instead of bouncing it literally just stuck to it like those velcro ball and paddles. Shit was so dumb I just shook my head and turned off my Xbox.

devolutionmontage.gif

CyReN

The Pit in general isn't the greatest, too many standstills and makes CTF hard to stop the flag. Don't get me wrong I like the map but I wouldn't make it out as good as that. Midship is a perfect example on how to do a map.

heckfu

Banned
Reflection is the worst map since Ivory Tower.

Certain Affinity power weapon scheme all over that hot garbage.

I remember the nades on Rats Nest that hit the straight ground and decide to bounce back towards you. Those were fun.

Or the nades on Standoff that hit that piece of twig tree and instead of pushing it over just stop dead cold and blow up in your face.

Glorious Halo 3 crappage.
Did you really not like Ivory Tower? I had an absolute ton of fun on and getting out of that map in customs. Played well in matchmaking for a variety of game types, too.

As far as reflection goes I think it's a top tier SWAT map and minus the grenade issue it's pretty good for a lot of others too.

Reflection is flawed, but I will say it is damned pretty. I enjoy it none the less, and I loved Ivory Tower.

I don't really see how it has anything to do with hyperbole. The Pit has giant yellow walls stretching around the map, flat grey and green surfaces, and some ramps. Warhouse has brown walls lined with pipes and lights and reflective metal, along with multiple staircases, crates, and a giant mech. It's not really a stretch to think it will be harder to see enemies or play competitively on when compared to The Pit's aesthetic. Agree to disagree I guess.

But the walls aren't going to effect to headshotting enemies, and the geometry is obviously by design. Not all maps play the same, some are more open and simple like the bit, and some have more complexity. Apples and Oranges.

The Pit in general isn't the greatest, too many standstills and makes CTF hard to stop the flag. Don't get me wrong I like the map but I wouldn't make it out as good as that. Midship is a perfect example on how to do a map.
Yeah, Slayer ground to a halt pretty much every game near the end of Halo 3 MLG. Midship was great but I like maps that have power weapon potential too, Midship is a little small for it.

Looks like MS was sick of everyone thinking it was a Viral ad:

Dt6LW.png

So fucking jarring going from that to 6 Forge maps in a row at launch.

Tell me about it, the Forge World aesthetic still makes sad, it really feels like a different game visually. Whatever the Forge situation with Halo 4 is I hope they manage to address this.

heckfu

Banned
You knowwwwww, Halo 2 was my favorite multiplayer so far and it did alright with zero forge maps. Screw the cartographers, I'm ok with all extra DLC being H2 remakes.

Turf or bust.

You knowwwwww, Halo 2 was my favorite multiplayer so far and it did alright with zero forge maps. Screw the cartographers, I'm ok with all extra DLC being H2 remakes.

Turf or bust.

Imagine day 1 free DLC with every new purchase that was the top 5 maps from Halo 2 remade.

Oh god what maps to choose

Havok

Did you really not like Ivory Tower? I had an absolute ton of fun on and getting out of that map in customs. Played well in matchmaking for a variety of game types, too.
Two bomb arming spots! Two!

Why didn't more maps try this? Rapid Assault was great on Ivory Tower.

Yeah nothing against the people that create forge maps, it's impressive what they do, I can't do it, but they can get out of matchmaking as far as I'm concerned. Dev maps all the way.

blamite

If there's no full map editor in some form, I'd definitely prefer for Forge to return to being a tool for just adjusting spawns and weapons like it was originally in Halo 3. After seeing the quality of Forge maps recently added to matchmaking *cough*midas*cough* I'd really rather have map design left to the professionals.

This might be kind of off topic, but I just came to the realization...

In the leaked photos we saw: "Primary, Secondary, Grenade, Armor Ability, Tactical Package, and Support Upgrade", no mention of the specializations that are going to be unlocked early with the LE game.

For those who need a reminder: "Specializations: Receive early access to six Specializations, available at launch on Xbox LIVE, and use them, one at a time, to achieve higher ranks in your Spartan career. In addition to gaining access to new ranks, Specializations unlock new customization options."

I wonder how these will affect MP.

Two bomb arming spots! Two!

Why didn't more maps try this? Rapid Assault was great on Ivory Tower.

That was pretty fuckin sweet, I remember splitting up our TO4 in team training, two cover the left, two cover the right and either side would call out when they saw a big push coming, was awesome.

Aggrotek

If there's no full map editor in some form, I'd definitely prefer for Forge to return to being a tool for just adjusting spawns and weapons like it was originally in Halo 3. After seeing the quality of Forge maps recently added to matchmaking *cough*midas*cough* I'd really rather have map design left to the professionals.

I second this.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Just read everything I missed from today and I totally don't regret not being around for that.

DAT SCUBA
BOMBERMAN
ARMOR HNNNNNNNNGGGGGG

Top Bottom