• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

I know a lot of people have said that you run faster in Halo 2 than you did in Halo 3. It must be true, but I've never noticed the difference. I tested it out early last week, between the same two points on Midship, and I got to the same location in the same amount of time.

Isnt that likely to be because they scaled midship to match Halo 3's movement?

daedalius

I think you're just used to how slow recent Halo games are. After you play a game or two at that speed you'd be just fine with it being even faster.

Hmmm, since I just finished playing Halo 2 Vista; and have played it quite a bit in multiplayer recently.

Reach is slow and plodding though, I agree.

I think its the same geometry.

Did they? I'm not sure. I've loaded matches on Halo 2's multiplayer and then tried out Halo 3's to see what "turtle speed" is like and I don't notice a difference.

There's a difference in the speed of the warthogs between 2 and 3. I can notice that.

If they had actually targeted Halo 3 movement speed, we would have gotten another super slow game. This looks great, especially in comparison to the Reach base traits. Snappy in a way that we hadn't really had a sense of in previous video.

The AR worries me, but hey, we'll see.

The tidbit of what looks to be something like grenade launcher 2.0 was neat.

I was very happy when they said they wanted to speed the game up, then sad when they said speeding the game up was Halo 3, then happy when I've seen from these videos that it is clearly much faster than Halo 3.

I think they did scale the H3 version if I recall correctly.

kylej

Banned
My reaction to that video:

Evolved(1).png

That new nade pistol looks fun as hell. The new pro-pipe.

Maybe, I know everything is a lot more chunky which gets on my nerves, but yeah thats just decorative, I honestly thought the 'frame' of the map is also modified to allow for the different jump height etc, but I may be wrong.

I preferred the Halo 2 version.

Did they? I'm not sure. I've loaded matches on Halo 2's multiplayer and then tried out Halo 3's to see what "turtle speed" is like and I don't notice a difference.

There's a difference in the speed of the warthogs between 2 and 3. I can notice that.

I dont really have a problem with the Halo 3 movement personally, I know most on here do, and I would prefer it to be faster, but it felt ok to me in terms of movement was still good.

Which Hog did you find faster out of interest? I remember around when ODST came out, the lower camera angle or wider FOV made things seem faster/ slower so thats also something to keep in mind.

PNut

Banned
Select removed from MM, yet Uncaged stays in. 343 MM team could use some replacements.

I still don't really believe it's been removed. Was their a glitch or something in the new version? The newer version was even better than the previous. Makes no sense whatsoever. None.

WTF

I dont really have a problem with the Halo 3 movement personally, I know most on here do, and I would prefer it to be faster, but it felt ok to me in terms of movement was still good.

Which Hog did you find faster out of interest? I remember around when ODST came out, the lower camera angle or wider FOV made things seem faster/ slower so thats also something to keep in mind.
The Halo 3 Warthog is slower than the Halo 2 Warthog. I imagine that was done so to make the difference in speed between it and the Mongoose greater.

Random question, but has there been any word on the physics of Warthogs in 4? If they're floaty and sensitive to bumps in 4, that would really suck.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I think they did scale the H3 version if I recall correctly.
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?cid=22187
Q. All you had to do was copy and paste the existing map from the Halo 2 disc, right?

JK. When was this? I wasn’t invited! In all seriousness, I took the original mesh and built right on top of it. I gave my best effort to make sure those surfaces occupied the same space.

Q. Enhancements, eh? Any significant changes that will send Midship lovers into a frenzied fit of spit, vitriol, and rage?

DM. The only change made that we’ve found is the floaty platform near the sword is not floaty anymore. Everything else should be as close to accurate as possible.

Q. Were there any issues that needed to be sorted out to make sure Heretic was as close to a recreation of Midship as possible?

JH. Being such a small map, there is very little room for dead space or surfaces that aren't usable from a gameplay point of view. A lot of effort went into maintaining things like surfaces for jump vaults and preserving sight lines. Luckily our man Jason knew Midship backward and forward and was familiar with what to leave and what we could alter. There couldn't have been anyone better to rework Midship.

JK. Any time you double, triple, or quadruple the amount of polygons on a compound curve you are going to get a little difference in player travel. I spent a lot of time running around making jumps every time I imported the level to make sure all those from Halo 2 were still intact. I’m pretty sure most of them are easier than they were in the previous game. Or, perhaps they just seem that way because the streamlined curves lend to a natural flow of movement.

The Forward Unto Dawn E3 2012 Hub is now live.

We've decided to open the doors a little bit earlier this year - the real fun doesn't begin until Monday. The Hub will be the only site you need with links to every piece of Halo 4 media released, every hands-on impression and a full and complete summary of all officially released Halo 4 information during E3.

In addition to our forums, we've once again opened up the HaloGAF IRC chatroom.
(Speaking of which, we need some HaloGAFers to be mods!)

So sit back and wait. Not long left to go now.

To give you an idea of what the full Hub will look like when news starts coming in, check out our previous HaloFest Hub.

yay. e3 is so close

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Random question, but has there been any word on the physics of Warthogs in 4? If they're floaty and sensitive to bumps in 4, that would really suck.

iirc, frankie said something along the lines of "dun worry" when people were complaining about reach BTB issues, including vehicle physics. i'm hopeful.

Trey

Like which? Looks like a Zaku and the blue makes it a Gouf.

I'm not a Gundam Head. I just played Mobile Suit Gundam way back on the PS2 a lot, and shot a lot of those fools down.

Also watched a bit of the anime. I've long forgotten most names though.

Love everything about what I saw except fall damage. Screw fall damage. Hopefully with Custom settings to turn fall damage off, it also removes the stun from falling.

This, so much. I can live with fall damage but the fall stun in Reach is yet another blundering factor in the viscosity of the games pace

i'd definitely rather not have it, but its in.

i'm just saying, after actually playing CoD for many hours, i hardly noticed those pop-ups and they certainly didnt interfere with the game. and CoD's pop-ups are gi-fucking-normous. bodes well for halo 4 and noticing it far less. thats all.

this. it will be a complete non-issue after a week or two of launch

A more pertinent approach would be: 'what does it add to the game?'. I can deal with a rambling superfluity of medals and text splattered across the screen every few moments ala Reach but don't place it right above the reticle with which I'm trying to aim. It's always been on the left; what does it add to move it to the centre?

Computron

Dude, what?

The part of the episode where homer has the boot would be perfect for a Xbox Live soundboard.

Stand back, or I'll boot your Prime Minister! I'll do it, so
help me God I'll boot him!
When will you Australians learn? In America we _stopped_ using
corporal punishment, and things have never been better! The
streets are safe. Old people strut confidently through the
darkest alleys. And the weak and nerdy are admired for their
computer-programming abilities. So, like us, let your children
run wild and free, because, as the old saying goes, "Let your
children run wild and free

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
seems legit

that made me laugh! but yeah, its all we have to go on. i really hope the look at MP we get at e3 isnt only warhouse and wraparound, and we see some significant gameplay incorporating the warthog to be able to determine if its likely to have been changed for the better.

This, so much. I can live with fall damage but the fall stun in Reach is yet another blundering factor in the viscosity of the games pace

A more pertinent approach would be: 'what does it add to the game?'. I can deal with a rambling superfluity of medals and text splattered across the screen every few moments ala Reach but don't place it right above the reticle with which I'm trying to aim. It's always been on the left; what does it add to move it to the centre?

it adds nothing, hence why i prefaced that with "i'd definitely not rather have it in". but it also detracts very little, so i dont see the need to bring it up over and over again as a gamebreaking change.

Pennybags

If you guys aren't playing some Halo, check out the livestream for Planetside 2, airing now.

Basically the only game besides Halo 4 I'm hyped for right now. You can basically be a Pelican pilot if that's what you would like to do.

MMO Sci-Fi FPS, ~2000 players, persistent world. It's the one I was telling some of you about the other week.

it adds nothing, hence why i prefaced that with "i'd definitely not rather have it in". but it also detracts very little, so i dont see the need to bring it up over and over again as a gamebreaking change.

It was more a question aimed at 343. If they are going to go ahead with it for the final build, I'd like to hear a compelling reason for it, a reason why it changes now after 4 Halo games in which it worked perfectly at the side of the screen.

As it stands, this one really does look like a case of a hovering, annoying MS exec saying "where does COD put its writing? In the middle of the screen? That's where it goes in Halo now too".

If you guys aren't playing some Halo, check out the livestream for Planetside 2, airing now.

Basically the only game besides Halo 4 I'm hyped for right now. You can basically be a Pelican pilot if that's what you would like to do.

MMO Sci-Fi FPS, ~2000 players, persistent world. It's the one I was telling some of you about the other week.

I'm suprised you manged it without one of your trademark forgetful incidents happening. :p

If your name is what I think it is, then Stalker is an asshole.

My names Chris, is Stalker an asshole? =P

Not as funny as that gif but still silly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUpjyWDh0is&feature=youtube_gdata_player

W/ kittens & Demoncarnotaur

Bwaha I was like wtf when that was happening. Glad it lives on in youtube.

Hey yall, I've been thinking. I want to avoid pretty much any and all campaign info, but I'd really like to nerd out with you all on whatever multiplayer reveals / footage we get from E3. How would you all feel about having a No Campaign Info But Tons of Multiplayer Info thread? Would that be possible? Desirable? Sexy
(included that one for Elzar)
?

I'm not sure how Spartan Ops will fit into the mix. Most of the SpOps missions will be before the events of Halo 4, so any reveal we get at E3 probably won't feature new enemies. So, I'd be okay with it being discussed in the side thread.

I guess the things I mostly want to avoid are:
- Campaign plot info.
- New enemies.
- New enemy weapons. (Might be hard, assuming they'll be seen in the MP demos.)
- New vehicles. (Again, these might be seen in MP).

I'm really excited about the new directions Halo 4 will be going in fiction wise, and I want to avoid any info that'll diminish the mysterious, unknown element of the new enemies. That's pretty much my biggest concern.

If yall don't think this'll work, that's fine. I'll just try my best to stay out of the Halo threads.
Yeah, thats a little bit of an iffy thing, I would generally say everything shown at e3 is fair game and from there it is a little harder to judge. I do get it, so maybe a MP specific thread would be the way to go and only browse this thread when things calm down. It kinda sucks, but one way or another separate threads would have to be made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-I_NRe7OMY&feature=youtu.be

Wat? WAT? (new video)

AR looks strong as hell and dat grenade pistol.

Bam. Dead sexy lighting, I can't wait to see this game.. Dat Missile Pistol indeed.

Top Bottom