• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

kylej

Banned
Dude, I know you're a glass half empty kind of person, but this is ridiculous. (There's not even a 'well, my reading of the LE contents is that this is the only DLC they're going to release, down the road - if I'm right, then I'm disappointed'. You're so positive that your interpretation of a rather vague hint is the only reasonable one that you're ALREADY DISAPPOINTED BY WHAT YOU DON'T HAVE. Do you think you'll apologize when the fourth pack comes out? I really doubt it. :( )

FyreWulff, your Team Downer welcome letter is already in the mail.

New Halo 4 Enemy Reveled

mhuy6.jpg

I remember that joke from before halo 3 came out lol

Oh, gawd. I find spoilers for everything.

I even read books backwards for a chapter or two.
Sometimes my eyes will wander further down a page when I'm reading, and it's always to something I wish I hadn't seen yet. Comic books are the worst for me, ugh.

lol too true. I was considering it for the first time in a while because of the new enemy, but I can't stay away.

Whatever you got, 343, I'm ready!
It's going to be really hard for me to sift out the campaign stuff, because I feel like what little has been revealed is already enough. 343 can talk all they want about multiplayer and SpOps, though. I'm really anxious to hear what's in store.

Homeboyd

Can I be on Team Upper?

You know, the team that is super stoked for new AA's, new progression system, new enemies, vehicles and weapons, Spartan Ops, awesome new (aesthetically pleasing) MM maps, stoked about DLC already, doesn't care about FPS, welcomes weapon skins, etc..

Yeah. That's my team.

#suckit

So that's how Temple got into matchmaking!
That was HaloGaf's submission, man.

TheOddOne

Can I be on Team Upper?

You know, the team that is super stoked for new AA's, new progression system, new enemies, vehicles and weapons, Spartan Ops, awesome new (aesthetically pleasing) MM maps, stoked about DLC already, doesn't care about FPS, welcomes weapon skins, etc..

Yeah. That's my team.

#suckit
I'm gonna be Silky Johnson.

HMnaS.gif

This has to be my favourite so far from the E3 gif thread LOL.

Gametrailers is having some sort of pre-E3 Show the week before E3, do you guys think we'll see a Halo 4 trailer there? There have been some pretty big games shown there in previous years, so it may be possible we see a multiplayer trailer before the show even begins.
It's a good gif, but the banned, perma-banned version of it will always reign supreme :)
H2 rules... Ah, back in the day when Halo used to be an FPS.

Ummm... didn't you know that Halo's influence on the industry has been the destruction of the FPS genre. The attempt to create a competitive community in halo is such a joke. It made people think the game was balanced, interesting to play and fast paced which it is not. It appealed to the hipster community that's all.
haha kidding

Can I be on Team Upper?

Yeah. That's my team.

#suckit

Iv been the founding member of Team Upper all this time, Extremely hyped for Halo 4 and NOTHING iv seen so far has made me sad.

feel

Can I be on Team Upper?

Yeah. That's my team.

#suckit
jAZm66uLpSlSw.jpg

Arnie

Re-bought Halo Reach today and played for a bit. Man I completely forgot how much fun Halo MP is.

The only way I can have fun with Reach is in the MLG playlist. No bloom. Faster movement. No radar. The cream of the crop in terms of maps. Balanced spawns and weapons.

Gazzawa

Everyone's looking forward to campaign.

I also see IGN's got the hype rolling by calling it the biggest game at this years E3.

Everyone except Zalinkrow. He's buying a new xbox and tv so he doesnt have to play it with hydra.
IGN man. I once swore by them. But they cut me down twice in one year. Dem reviews.

Everyone's looking forward to campaign.

I also see IGN's got the hype rolling by calling it the biggest game at this years E3.

I look forward to the campaign. I want it to be good and I'm excited that it will be, but I just dont want to know much about it before I play. 343 better put some serious thought into what they reveal and show. It's impossible to stay dark for a game like this, so I'll just have to cross my fingers and accept whatever happens. Still think 2 weeks is a lifetime of waiting for E3.

Retro

So, after a lot of research and consideration, I have decided that Halo sucks. That a hipster scrub like me could totally land a Killtacular is all the proof you need that this is Baby's First FPS.

Halo has ruined shooters forever and is responsible for all the world's problems, from AIDS to Kony to terrorism. It is responsible for cancer and the hole in the ozone layer, along with the economic crisis, the decline of test scores and the popularity of dubstep. It has single-handedly ruined gaming forever and will inevitably lead to its demise. Little kids in the future will ask "papa, why aren't there any videogames anymore?" and I'll wipe a tear away and say "Because of Halo, my little one, because of Halo." And then they will die because the radiation from all the nuclear wars caused by Halo will cause them to be deformed and die before they reach the age of 6.

Just my opinion. Even though I obviously despise Halo with every fiber of my being and obsessively spew negativity into every thread for it I see, at least I'm trying to understand why people like it and what it can really offer. That I am repeatedly trying to 'figure it out' completely justifies every troll-worthy comment I make.

I might actually play Reach today, that montage sure did the trick. Pre-ordering Halo 4 soon too, gonna spring for the Collector's Edition so I'm sure to always have all the maps . I know with Reach I had to sit out of some HaloGAF meet ups because I didn't have everything.

FyreWulff

I look forward to the campaign. I want it to be good and I'm excited that it will be, but I just dont want to know much about it before I play. 343 better put some serious thought into what they reveal and show. It's impossible to stay dark for a game like this, so I'll just have to cross my fingers and accept whatever happens. Still think 2 weeks is a lifetime of waiting for E3.

I remember a long time ago over at the PA Forums, I told a guy to spoiler ODST leaks so people that didn't want to see them wouldn't be ruined so they could stay dark on the game. You know, stand procedure.

This apparently flipped his shit so bad that he randomly AIM'd me out of nowhere, asked if I was "FyreWulff from the forums", then proceeded to paste every other spoiler from ODST into the chat window and signed off. Apparently his jimmies were rustled by being told that everyone in the thread didn't want to see spoilers.

The best part is he tried to deny that it was him.. but if you googled the AIM screenname that sent me the message and his forum username, it was set as his AIM sn on other internet forum profiles of his :lol

In the leadup to Reach, while I still watched the campaign trailers and stuff I set all my IM stuff to whitelist mode only. About 2 months out, I set my LIVE voice and LIVE messages to Friends only.

tl;dr For those going dark, remember to turn on your driveby jerkass protection.

TheOddOne

So, after a lot of research and consideration, I have decided that Halo sucks. That a hipster scrub like me could totally land a Killtacular is all the proof you need that this is Baby's First FPS.

Halo has ruined shooters forever and is responsible for all the world's problems, from AIDS to Kony to terrorism. It is responsible for cancer and the hole in the ozone layer, along with the economic crisis, the decline of test scores and the popularity of dubstep. It has single-handedly ruined gaming forever and will inevitably lead to its demise. Little kids in the future will ask "papa, why aren't there any videogames anymore?" and I'll wipe a tear away and say "Because of Halo, my little one, because of Halo." And then they will die because the radiation from all the nuclear wars caused by Halo will cause them to be deformed and die before they reach the age of 6.

Just my opinion. Even though I obviously despise Halo with every fiber of my being and obsessively spew negativity into every thread for it I see, at least I'm trying to understand why people like it and what it can really offer. That I am repeatedly trying to 'figure it out' completely justifies every troll-worthy comment I make.

I might actually play Reach today, that montage sure did the trick. Pre-ordering Halo 4 soon too, might actually spring for the Collector's Edition so I'll always have the DLC. I know with Reach I had to sit out of some HaloGAF meet ups because I didn't have everything.
approval-people-clapping.gif

I might actually play Reach today, that montage sure did the trick. Pre-ordering Halo 4 soon too, might actually spring for the Collector's Edition so I'll always have the DLC. I know with Reach I had to sit out of some HaloGAF meet ups because I didn't have everything.
I wonder if Kyle will let us join team downer. My body is ready.

Tawpgun

3 melee hits

Or

Melee designed in a way where its still a 2 hit kill, and first hit knocks out shields. But it has this delay on it where its actually faster to try and shoot after than do a second melee.

The big problem with melee's isn't really the amount, but the fact that someone can sprint up to you and double melee. Which I can only blame lunge (praise CE all you want, but lunge needs to be in for connection reasons, I'm all for a reduction of it though.) no bleed through, and sprint.

But mainly no bleedthrough.

Ideally, I want shields to be able to communicate a few things. As someone takes damage their shield layer can get bigger and brighter. And if they are one melee away from death, perhaps sparks or some kind of indicator will show up. Once they are no shields there is a distinctive pop.

Retro

Also, a day late on this, but;

I just hope that any and all attempts to create a "classic" Halo playlist(s) dies with Reach. The situation we're in now, with the playlist fracturing, just can't happen again. Whatever Halo 4 is, let that define the core game. I realize the situation Reach is in is partly because, well, it's Reach and they tried to slice it to please more of the player base, but I don't want to see a similar reaction with Halo 4. No "classic". Just Halo 4.

Yes please. Dividing the population only makes the process of getting into a game slower. I would be fine if they went ahead and merged a lot of the playlists into each other so there's fewer overall. Whatever makes the per-list population higher is a good thing.

I'm ashamed to say I just, last week, picked up anniversary. I should never have doubted the greatness of Halo:CE. Its still more fun than most games released this gen.

I hope the weapon audio in Halo 4 is as good as the audio in anniversary though. The audio in CEA makes the assault rifle and Sniper super fun to use.

I remember a long time ago over at the PA Forums, I told a guy to spoiler ODST leaks so people that didn't want to see them wouldn't be ruined so they could stay dark on the game. You know, stand procedure.

This apparently flipped his shit so bad that he randomly AIM'd me out of nowhere, asked if I was "FyreWulff from the forums", then proceeded to paste every other spoiler from ODST into the chat window and signed off. Apparently his jimmies were rustled by being told that everyone in the thread didn't want to see spoilers.

The best part is he tried to deny that it was him.. but if you googled the AIM screenname that sent me the message and his forum username, it was set as his AIM sn on other internet forum profiles of his :lol

In the leadup to Reach, while I still watched the campaign trailers and stuff I set all my IM stuff to whitelist mode only. About 2 months out, I set my LIVE voice and LIVE messages to Friends only.

tl;dr For those going dark, remember to turn on your driveby jerkass protection.
I only talk to like 3 people total on AIM and none of them have any interested in Halo. Haven't been on Live in forever, either, so that shouldn't be an issue. But, yeah, people can be really big tools sometimes. Somewhat related, I remember when a bunch of people on Live were trying to spoil the 6th Harry Potter book. I don't know why people think it's fun to do that kind of stuff. Recently, I've been trying to avoid Prometheus footage and that has been somewhat difficult with the trailer they've been running on tv.

3 melee hits

Or

Melee designed in a way where its still a 2 hit kill, and first hit knocks out shields. But it has this delay on it where its actually faster to try and shoot after than do a second melee.

The big problem with melee's isn't really the amount, but the fact that someone can sprint up to you and double melee. Which I can only blame lunge (praise CE all you want, but lunge needs to be in for connection reasons, I'm all for a reduction of it though.) no bleed through, and sprint.

But mainly no bleedthrough.

Ideally, I want shields to be able to communicate a few things. As someone takes damage their shield layer can get bigger and brighter. And if they are one melee away from death, perhaps sparks or some kind of indicator will show up. Once they are no shields there is a distinctive pop.
If people are really concerned about feedback, why not have some type of meter or gauge that kicks in to let players know they are within bleed-through health levels of dying or something? It's not like bleed through has to be real extreme, either. Couldn't 343 adjust it so that, by being more precise, only damage that was already very close to enough to kill you anyway, would bleed through and reward a person with a kill? I can't stand not having bleed-through in Halo games. It was there up until Reach and then poof. Or make it so that melee is added to list of items that can do bleed-through in addition to the power weapons. Melee SHOULD be able to cause bleed-through damage. I don't care if none of the other weapons outside of power weapons can do it. Just give me my beat down power.

Woorloog

Banned
Goddamn Reach armor selection and the armor itself are awful.
Been wondering about half an hour what would be good looking but nothing is.
I wouldn't have any issue if the Elites were allowed everywhere (and if they weren't so large and weren't better)... i'd just play as an Elite.
Halo 4 can't get here soon enough, all i need is new armor really and everythings fine.

Melee talk? I know Striker is one of the bigger supporters of nerfing it, and I fully agree with him. I was hoping Halo 3 would have melee similar to 2 while Brute weapons would have increased melee damage(because of the spikes and stuff).

They do like 2 extra points to your "health" I think.
I remember I had made a modified variant back in Halo 3 with 90% health and 110% damage where Spikers, Maulers and Brute Shots would actually kill you in one melee. I modified some maps to make use of it where the Brute Shot became the go-to power weapon and Maulers got left out for being crazy overpowered. Trip Mines were also one-hit kills most of the time.

Edit: I'm all for bleedthrough returning too. Back in Halo 3 I'd figure out exact shielded kill times (one brute shot grenade and a melee is a kill, 6 AR bullets and a melee is a kill, etc) and it made things so much more "predictable" when it came to 1v1 sort of AR start stuff. With reach it's just ARARARARDMRDMRDMR SPRINT PUNCH and hope they die.

Karl2177

They do like 2 extra points to your "health" I think.
I remember I had made a modified variant back in Halo 3 with 90% health and 110% damage where Spikers, Maulers and Brute Shots would actually kill you in one melee. I modified some maps to make use of it where the Brute Shot became the go-to power weapon and Maulers got left out for being crazy overpowered. Trip Mines were also one-hit kills most of the time.

Edit: I'm all for bleedthrough returning too. Back in Halo 3 I'd figure out exact shielded kill times (one brute shot grenade and a melee is a kill, 6 AR bullets and a melee is a kill, etc) and it made things so much more "predictable" when it came to 1v1 sort of AR start stuff. With reach it's just ARARARARDMRDMRDMR SPRINT PUNCH and hope they die.

Yeah. It was 70 base, with certain weapons doing 72 damage. It's not like that extra 2 points of damage meant a thing when they increased the melee return time with TU1. Still, 70 base melee damage was such overkill. 45 would have been acceptable, with Brute weapons being 70.

Is this a joke? Is the giant burst of energy and loud clang not enough to let you know they're one-shot/melee-able?

It's not good when you've been shooting at them with a DMR for 4 shots, it appears like all four hit, so you melee. It turns out that one shot was dropped for no reason and you're both on even grounds, since you can melee each other.

So, since things are slow I figured I would ask something hypothetical.. Would people want DLC packs for Halo 4 to be themed? Say one set on a Halo ring, one set in New Mombasa, etc? There could still be a individual variety between each maps aesthetics, but they simple share a theme.. I think it could be cool, although I think I would rather just have a huge variety each tied to something different.

More than 2 hits to kill and you end up in a stupid slap fight exchanging multiple blows taking to much time to get the kill.

First hit pops shields second hit kills thats how melee should always work.
I dont even know where people got the 3-5 melee idea from it was never present in a halo game was it?

Halo 3 and Reach are both 2 hits to kill and im pretty sure Halo 2 was.

3 hits to kill is extreme, thats a total exchange of 5-6 blows. Thats really slowing down the pace of the gameplay.

WAT

Why are you bashing melee the whole time? Fire your damn weapon. Melee should be something you can throw in to try to tip the balance in your favor in close quarters, but it is a first person shooter, melee shouldn't be the best weapon you have.

3 melee's to kill or bust (I'd take 4, but I know they'll never do that, and 3 works pretty well).

Top Bottom