• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I like these ideas on how to fix objective. One I'd throw into the mix: If your team loses, the cR you earn is halved.

Also, throw win percentage on your in-game service record.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Not sure how they'll pan out, but I do think credit payout will help with objectives. More points to the winning team, and points to people who do objectives in those game types should be a baseline. Maybe even don't show kills and deaths in the post game lobby, and don't count k/d in objective games toward your total stats.

daedalius

Just imagine if 343 made a Halo game. Would be so cool.

522883223_1537991_george_takei_oh_my_super_xlarge.png

Retro

IDK, you think people can see the congratulatory message like that? Might need to extend the width a bit to cover the entire screen.

It's hard to see in the screen shot, but confetti also falls from the top of the screen too. Once all of the other stuff disappears, a cel-shaded grunt come out with a little push broom and sweeps it away while muttering, ala the Whammies on Press Your Luck. Very cute and it doesn't even get old after the 500th time.

Keep in mind, it's still in development guys, they've got time to tweak stuff like this.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Slaying is an incredibly important aspect of completing objectives, it's silly not to reward players for doing it.

How do you balance them "doing it" and them "doing it all the time and ignoring objectives?"

I guess that's the real issue here. Yeah, you need cover to capture a flag, but that random dude running around with a DMR in the back corner of the map isn't doing anything to help.

BigShow36

How do you balance them "doing it" and them "doing it all the time and ignoring objectives?"

I guess that's the real issue here. Yeah, you need cover to capture a flag, but that random dude running around with a DMR in the back corner of the map isn't doing anything to help.

That's part of playing competitive games against strangers. If you're getting slayed, then get better; people will do it regardless of whether or not they get credits for it.

Slaying anyone anywhere on the map helps with completing objectives. One of the worst strategies for objective gametypes is only focusing on the players harassing the objective carrier.

Isn't the reward getting the flag capped/winning?

If you're going to be rewarding players for completing objectives, you should also reward the players who helped them complete the objective.

Retro

Isn't the reward getting the flag capped/winning?

No. I'd show you the congratulatory banner for kills they just added, but it violates GAF rules against nudity. Suffice to say "Major Dongage" replaces "Flag Captured" and instead of "Fuck yeah" scrolling at the top and bottom, a "Blain Train" rolls by with grunt engineers shooting plasma pistol shots everywhere.

Havok

Diminishing returns on payout for kills. Once the credits start dipping, it's in the player's best interest to finish the match. Players support-slaying likely aren't going to hit anywhere close to the level of kills people camping Zealot Flag spawns, they shouldn't be affected.

I don't think any of these solutions stop people who are padding stats simply for the sake of doing so, though.

Tawpgun

That's part of playing competitive games against strangers. If you're getting slayed, then get better; people will do it regardless of whether or not their getting credits for it.

Slaying anyone anywhere on the map helps with completing objectives. One of the worst strategies for objective gametypes is only focusing on the players harassing the objective carrier.

If you're going to be rewarding players for completing objectives, you should also reward the players who helped them complete the objective.

You're gonna need to slay to get the flag capped. But I think you missed the point. Once ANY player caps the flags EVERYONE on the team gets 1000 cR or something similar. No one gets anything extra for doing anything. If you work as a team, slay, run the flag, cover, etc. You will all get the reward.

But just slay all game? You get next to nothing.

BigShow36

You're gonna need to slay to get the flag capped. But I think you missed the point. Once ANY player caps the flags EVERYONE on the team gets 1000 cR or something similar. No one gets anything extra for doing anything. If you work as a team, slay, run the flag, cover, etc. You will all get the reward.

But just slay all game? You get next to nothing.

I thought you were saying if you only slay and don't physically carry the objective you get no points.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Eh, true. Ugh, it's just so hard to balance. If kills earn cR, Objective matches are just going to be like they are in Reach. On the other hand, if you take away cR earned from kills, like you said, players assisting in capping a flag don't get anything extra.
Are you talking the points you get for those 2 things or just the act of capturing a flag and winning? If it's the former, I agree. There's a lot of players who don't care about the latter, though.

For me, I'd rather get a win than credits. But yeah, unfortunately, not many people care about winning.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That's part of playing competitive games against strangers. If you're getting slayed, then get better; people will do it regardless of whether or not they get credits for it.

Yeah, but an even worse strategy is not picking up the bomb at all in an Assault gametype. Can't win if you aren't playing the right game. I get your main point though.

People will always do it but giving more credits for playing the game right may at least stop some people.

My suggestion was removing K/D from objective gametypes at all. Don't record kills in your overall stats for objective games, don't show them after the round. That way if they want to do it they have nothing to show for it. Kills are necessary in objective, but glorifying them in stats is not.

BigShow36

Eh, true. Ugh, it's just so hard to balance. If kills earn cR, Objective matches are just going to be like they are in Reach. On the other hand, if you take away cR earned from kills, like you said, players assisting in capping a don't get anything extra.

The most elegant solution is to reward everyone equally when a flag gets capped, as others have suggested. It's not perfect, but its impossible for a formula to adequately assign a "contribution" percentage to each player.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Kill-75 cR
Pick up flag (only works once per round)-150 cR
Flag cap-1000 cR, for every member of the team
Flag return-300 cR

Winning a match-double cR
Losing a match-half cR
Being the player with the most flag caps-2000 cR

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'd like to hear if Frank and David have any input on this, I'm sure they've gone over the best way to do this in depth with the teams.

I hope.

No. I'd show you the congratulatory banner for kills they just added, but it violates GAF rules against nudity. Suffice to say "Major Dongage" replaces "Flag Captured" and instead of "Fuck yeah" scrolling at the top and bottom, a "Blain Train" rolls by with grunt engineers shooting plasma pistol shots everywhere.
DONGBLAIN +10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom