• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This could be the replacement they mentioned in the last bulletin, given how there are already 6 promethean weapons revealed it'd make even more sense :D
Whoa, what? I only know of the Light Rifle and Scattershot.

You have read the article right? They are talking about the Multiplayer. Not about campaign and spartan ops. They talked to Franklin. Lead Multiplayer Designer for Player vs Player.
It's a really weird article, which is why I think Slightly Live said what he did.

. But what's all this talk of Skulls? "No, we've moved away from that," Franklin stated. "We're looking at the Infinity experience very specifically as a new one."
Spartan Ops is part of Infinity, so that's where the confusion comes from.
Some clarification would be nice.

I love rewards systems. Nothing makes me feel more respected as a player than feeling like the devs are looking at me like a gerbil wanting another pellet. I also enjoy having aspects of the multiplayer locked out to me until I reach an arbitrary amount of playtime, because I don't deserve to be capable of using all the options from the start and need a carrot to chase other than enjoying the actual game. Also love all the logistics going into how to divvy it out to make sure people actually play the gametypes properly and not just exploit it or become griefers to get the most pell-- credits.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I love rewards systems. Nothing makes me feel more respected as a player than feeling like the devs are looking at me like a gerbil wanting another pellet. I also enjoy having aspects of the multiplayer locked out to me until I reach an arbitrary amount of playtime, because I don't deserve to be capable of using all the options from the start and need a carrot to chase other than enjoying the actual game. Also love all the logistics going into how to divvy it out to make sure people actually play the gametypes properly and not just exploit it or become griefers to get the most pell-- credits.

Would read again.

420 pts

Stinkles

Well, how would they know if you intended to be a distraction or not, and is it really that big of a deal? I think not.
I am pretty sure that the majority of posthumous medal recipients in war did not in fact intend to die saving you. Who are we to deny therefore, their heroism.

10 pts.

evolution.

TheOddOne

I hate rewards systems. Nothing makes me feel more respected as a player than feeling like the devs are looking at me like a gerbil wanting another pellet. I also hate having aspects of the multiplayer locked out to me until I reach an arbitrary amount of playtime, because I don't deserve to be capable of using all the options from the start and need a carrot to chase other than enjoying the actual game. Also hate all the logistics going into how to divvy it out to make sure people actually play the gametypes properly and not just exploit it or become griefers to get the most pell-- credits.
We are best friends Rickenslacker.

daedalius

Making a placement based solely on one data point is moronic. They were right to not have done it. It is bad science. The difference between that system and the one in 3 was that there was not a linear progression up to the point that it would place you--you had twenty, thirty, fifty games under your belt that the system could use to determine what the next progression was as you approached your ideal skill matching point in Halo 3. This isn't the case in Arena, and that it needs 20 full matches to do it accurately is telling, and not without purpose. The game, after one match, would and should literally not have any idea where to place you since it, if it deserves to exist, wants to make sure it's not going to place you in onyx for crapping on a bunch of recruits and then have you swing to bronze the next game when you are matched against someone who has actually played the game before and lose.

Admittedly, I meant that you should see your ranking move after your 'ranking' has been well determined by a number of placement matches.

Only after enough placement matches should you see your granular rating move in regards to your wins/losses in a session.

Stinkles

Haha I guess I went too far into KyleJ territory there. I don't mean it to come off as just snark, I just really think it's the worst multiplayer design trend to come from this generation.
I didn't think it as snarky. I am not a points or grinding person at all. I basically ignore it. Usually I am just surprised when I get a promotion. I was shocked to creep into General territory earlier this week. However, if the system isn't invasive and doesn't hurt my enjoyment, I don't care one way or another. Every now and then I will get a mild jones for some piece of weaponry or equipment in some game and maybe shoot for that, but otherwise it's just UI elements to me.

I think I have like, the lowest gamerscore in America.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Frank, since you're here, care to shed any light on how you guys are working to combat people just playing slayer while in an objective game? Can you talk about that yet?

Well, how would they know if you intended to be a distraction or not, and is it really that big of a deal? I think not.
I think so. Now we know what happens when you give kids a trophy who finish in 9th place out of 10 people; they grow up, become a tester, and want a fucking medal for getting saved by the guy who did all the work.

I'm probably right there with you. I usually don't go for achievements, just get them as I play and not look back.

BigShow36

Frank, since you're here, care to shed any light on how you guys are working to combat people just playing slayer while in an objective game? Can you talk about that yet?

I can't think of a good way other than providing a "forfeit" option for each team or linearly decreasing the payout for a win based on how much time it takes.

A lof of people just objective hold and slay to be dicks and pad stats, not really to earn cR.

CyReN

f8lOE.png

daedalius

Would switching between players while you are 'dead' really be considered spectator mode?

Wouldn't something like that be sufficient for the casters? being able to switch between POVs? Obviously they won't get a 'spectator suite' with a bunch of custom work done.

I didn't think it as snarky. I am not a points or grinding person at all. I basically ignore it. Usually I am just surprised when I get a promotion. I was shocked to creep into General territory earlier this week. However, if the system isn't invasive and doesn't hurt my enjoyment, I don't care one way or another. Every now and then I will get a mild jones for some piece of weaponry or equipment in some game and maybe shoot for that, but otherwise it's just UI elements to me.

I'm actually okay with it when it's tied to aesthetics alone like Reach, although I will admit I do like to play Barbie dress up at times so sometimes needing to play X amount of games feels agonizing before I get to accessorize and show everyone my fabulous new helmet.

It just feels really intolerable to me once it starts locking away weapons and other gameplay modifiers. It was said that in Halo 4 the loadout options are there to finetune your own playstyle, and I think that's a similar case to games with similar rewards systems, but in my experience with those games I'm left wondering why these options are being locked out in the first place. Well, I know why, it's so that people will feel the urge to play more than they would have if it wasn't there, but it seems to have the reverse effect on me. I played COD4 the most with this system, I got about less than halfway before my first prestige and sold that game off; I played Uncharted 2 for even less than that, getting annoyed with having options that I wanted to use not available to me until I grinded through a lot more matches; I wrote off Starhawk and Killzone 3 entirely just from the betas and knowing they had these systems in place.

Halo 4 will be a special case in that I'm already so invested in the series that I'll deal with the system because I already know I'll likely spend a good amount of time with it, though I won't lie I'd much prefer having all my options available to me upfront. Once I have an unlock ahead of me that I know I want, it turns every game leading up to that an irritating grind.

Ah well. Would've been cool, but I can definitely live without it.

Yeah, it's more for streams, MLG-style competitive events, and coaching.

While useful, I'm not usually too cynical about these kinds of things but imo some of the only matches worth watching on a grand scale (such as MLG tournaments) already have some means rigged up for live streams, spectator modes, etc. and I would rather accept this as a loss than them pull a Halo 3 multi-player theater and jam it in at the last second with shoddy results.

CyReN

Would switching between players while you are 'dead' really be considered spectator mode?

Wouldn't something like that be sufficient for the casters? being able to switch between POVs? Obviously they won't get a 'spectator suite' with a bunch of custom work done.

No.

Tourney/content wise players are crippled in their abilities to do things without spectator mode, I just hope it's something down the lines like GoW3 did but that may be off.

daedalius

No.

Tourney/content wise players are crippled in their abilities to do things without spectator mode, I just hope it's something down the lines like GoW3 did but that may be off.

Maybe the 720 will have a better infrastructure to support spectator mode in Halo 5 :|

Looks like they will still have to get that viewport switching hardware for tournaments.

Retro

D8ruj.jpg

It all makes sense now!

tumblr_m2rqc0s7C31qmymyxo1_500.gif

EDIT: no skulls in infinity =/= no skulls in campaign. Either way, given how 343's handled it so far, I wouldn't be surprised if there were additional modes or modifiers provided skulls were out. Hell, make them unlockable so that people that just want to speed through the campaign get a standard Heroic treatment but Mythic speedrunners unlock some crazy new hard mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom