• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So, I know I keep bringing this up, but I could have sworn info was "promised" about specializations, yet we heard nothing. Frank/Ellis can you guys at least say if we will find out about them this week or not?

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah. I can only ship domestic. Sorry.

No no, i mean, what the hell was this about?
Because if i had known about some contest or something, i would have kept my mouth shut fingers in check.

EDIT, besides, technically, i cheated, i used Halopedia in addition my memory. Also, used google to check what 3.5 miles is in kilometers.

OverHeat

« generous god »
343 should hire Walshy. And I'm not saying that as a gimmick, dude is personable and understands Halo. Stick him in a room with some Adderall and Red Bull for the next 6 months and listen to all his feedback about the game.

Yep he would be an awesome addition to 343i.

Woorloog

Banned
So, I know I keep bringing this up, but I could have sworn info was "promised" about specializations, yet we heard nothing. Frank/Ellis can you guys at least say if we will find out about them this week or not?

Halo 4 site has some info about them. Like 2 or 3 per category. General info only. Maybe that's what was promised?

lol, Unintentionally winning was unintentional.

Next time, make sure people understand why they're answering something. Just friendly advice.
And no, i'm not disappointed i didn't "win".

Promethean vision is going to be the Armor Lock of Halo 4, I'm calling it now. It looks super lame.

Everything else looks pretty rockin.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
http://halo.xbox.com/halo4#!halo-evolved/gameplay/31afe32b-0e07-45c0-9424-3adc6e1eadca
This, i think. Damn Waypoint is so damn slow... also, damn Windows Live being so slow.

What i did.

Ah, so specializations ARE armor abilities. So you get 6 armor abilities early.
Waypoint said:
The player’s Mjolnir armor can also provide individualized specializations referred to as Armor Abilities, such as Hardlight Shield, Active Camouflage, or Jet Pack.

Arnie

Nice to finally see some substantial gameplay. First impressions are overall fairly positive, although the weapons look fairly weak to me; really not feeling the 5 shot kill, gives me shades of vanilla Reach whereby kill times are frustratingly protracted.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Six AAs early on?

Hologram
P Vision
Thruster
Jetpack
Hardlight Shield
...and Camo?

Edit : Where does it say there will be six AAs unlocked early on?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Promethean vision is going to be the Armor Lock of Halo 4, I'm calling it now. It looks super lame.

Nope.

Unlike Armour Lock, PV has some obvious downsides and hard counters. I expect it to be nerfed and balanced come release. It has to be useful, like any ability, but it won't be overpowered like Armour Lock.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Armour Ability List

• Hologram - same functionality as Reach version, fools PV
  • Promethean Vision - sound/visual cue, hardcountered by other AA's
  • Thruster - momentum doesn't carry forward (unlike Evade in Reach) and unspammable
  • Jetpack - no idea
  • Hardlight Shield - doesn't protect feet, melee attack and explosive damage still gets through
  • Active Camo - no idea, fools PV
  • Auto-Sentry - gets destroyed instantly when spawner dies
  • Regen Field - =)

Am I missing anything?

I still think that Promethean Vision is one of those things that seems useful at first but actually isn't once you get used to how the game works- essentially a noob crutch.

Agreed.

It needs a nerf, but it's not a huge deal because it doesn't really help an experienced player that much. I expect it to be really popular when the game launches because people will be getting used to the game and the maps, and popular map strategies will be developing, but as players getting more experience and everyone learns the maps and their common movements and strategies, and think its use will die down.

Ah, so specializations ARE armor abilities. So you get 6 armor abilities early.

That makes sense.

Armour Ability List

• Hologram
  • Promethean Vision
  • Thruster
  • Jetpack
  • Hardlight Shield
  • Active Camo
  • Auto-Sentry
  • Regen Field

Am I missing anything?

I think those are the only known ones at this point.

feel

Nope.

Unlike Armour Lock, PV has some obvious downsides and hard counters. I expect it to be nerfed and balanced come release. It has to be useful, like any ability, but it won't be overpowered like Armour Lock.
Armor Lock wasn't overpowered imo, it was just an extremely annoying combat pause button. People usually sat there like idiots unable to do anything but move the camera around while a millions grenades rained their way and prayed teammates would walk in to help, which most of the time didn't happen and they ended up dead.

PV seems much worse to me, there's like no obvious downsides, other than missing out on jetpack, hardlight shield, etc.

edit-

active camo is back too? LOL!!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hard Light shield bro.

I honestly think the biggest offender potentially is going to be the sentry gun in "armor lock" type effect on the game, but I'm not terribly worried about it at this point. I'm sticking to believing that Frank, Ellis and the gang are hearing us and play enough of Reach to know what's broke and what isn't. What's enjoyable for everyone and what isn't.

I'll keep feeling that way until I see something VERY worrisome or I play the game and hate it, but I doubt that's going to happen at this point.

Armour Ability List

• Hologram
  • Promethean Vision
  • Thruster
  • Jetpack
  • Hardlight Shield
  • Active Camo
  • Auto-Sentry
  • Regen Field

Am I missing anything?

I'm pretty curious as to how many there'll be total. It'll be interesting to see just how many they can add and maintain balance.

Also, just an idea for Prom Vision counters: since Holograms look identical using it, maybe Camo makes you completely undetectable in that mode? We have no idea how Promethean Vision operates (considering Camo has been detectable using thermal goggles in-story and stuff in the past), but if it's some sort of bizarre light-detecting technology then it'd make sense.

Armour Ability List

• Thruster - momentum doesn't carry forward (unlike Evade in Reach) and unspammable
  • Jetpack - no idea
  • Hardlight Shield - doesn't protect feet, melee attack and explosive damage still gets through
  • Regen Field
- =)

Am I missing anything?
Do we know that Jetpack is in multiplayer? I think we've only seen it in spartan ops?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Armor Lock wasn't overpowered

Pro's
Invunerability
Stop combats for 3 seconds+
EMP effect stripping shields of players + disabling vehicles
Instantly destroying fast moving vehicles with direct contact
Shields recharge during use
Allowed 3rd person, user controlled viewpoint - could see around corners

Cons
Immobility

Yeah, Armour Lock wasn't overpowered at all. =P

Armour Ability List

• Jetpack - no idea
  • Regen Field - no idea

Do we know that Jetpack is in multiplayer? I think we've only seen it in spartan ops?

It's in.

feel

Invunerability
Stop combats for 3 seconds+
EMP effect stripping shields of players + disabling vehicles
Instantly destroying fast moving vehicles with direct contact
Shields recharge during use
No downsides

Yeah, Armour Lock wasn't overpowered at all.
Selective quoting ain't cool! :p

I hope we have an unlimited AA option for customs at least, like how it is in Reach. Any chance frankie or david could confirm this? I'm looking forward to minigames (nothing competitive mind you) with unlimited hardlight shields forming phalanxes to try and fight their way up a hill while being blasted by scattershots, crazy gametypes that make use of thrusters, the aforementioned Predator PromVision game, etc.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I hope we have an unlimited AA option for customs at least, like how it is in Reach. Any chance frankie or david could confirm this? I'm looking forward to minigames (nothing competitive mind you) with unlimited hardlight shields forming phalanxes to try and fight their way up a hill while being blasted by scattershots, crazy gametypes that make use of thrusters, the aforementioned Predator PromVision game, etc.

I'm 100% sure you'll be able to have unlimited AA use in Customs if you want.

Leaks reporting jetpack, and the only thing they played was War Games.

Armour Ability List

• Jetpack - no idea
  • Regen Field - no idea

Nothing on this list compares to Armor Lock. I've never seen a more game shattering, utterly baffling ability in a video game.

The main thing that I took away from this E3 build is that 343 has made a clear design decision that AA's aren't meant to dominate the game like they did in Reach. Perhaps the most important thing to recognize with the AA's we saw at E3 and can probably apply them to the rest of the AA's is how short the use of them is.

Applying that principle to all the AA's we know about:
-PV - As we saw, pretty good ability, but the burst you have to use it is pretty short. I think we all agree that it could use a bit of a nerf.
-Thruster - Only a single dash per charge.
-Jetpack - Haven't seen it, but given the ability times of the ones we have seen, hopefully it's just a short burst, and not flying around the map all day like Reach's.
-Hardlight Shield - Only lasts a few seconds, still very exposed to anything but gunfire from directly in front of the player.
-Active Camo- No idea why they brought this terrible ability back, but assuming that the duration is very short, giving you a little advantage getting a drop on someone, as apposed to crouch walking all over the map all game like in Reach.
-Auto-Sentry - We know it disappears when the player dies, but I doubt it lasts more than a 4-5 seconds to begin with, and hopefully its firepower isn't that strong. Just something that gives you a quick little assist on the battlefield.
-Regen Field - The most concerning one for me, because even if the field only stays for a few seconds, it has the potential to just get a few shots down in a fight, and boom shields recharging, kill the other person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom