• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

senador

Banned
Trying to watch these vids put they look super shitty. Is that everyone else's experience? Are the YouTube ones any better?

Trying to watch these vids put they look super shitty. Is that everyone else's experience? Are the YouTube ones any better?

They look good for me using the mlg player (both IE and Chrome) but a lot of people were having issues. Youtube should work better for you, even though they looked a little lower quality for me.

senador

Banned
They look good for me using the mlg player (both IE and Chrome) but a lot of people were having issues. Youtube should work better for you, even though they looked a little lower quality for me.

Cool thanks. Anyone have the YouTube links handy, or can somene direct me to somewhere that does? Please, thanks.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Thank god I'm not the only one that thought that in this thread.

I had high hopes for film, but it just didn't do it for me. The ties to Alien seem to drag the film's plot down too. Real shame, the cast is great, the direction, visuals, and everything are everything you'd want. Just, such a weak and boring plot.

My opinion is usually wrong though, hah. I still like Sword Base in Reach. :D

I'll leave it at that and might hop over to the proper thread in the OT.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's not really the complete package, and the writing, acting, and pacing have their shortfalls, but the artistic design and effects are excellent, and really shine in IMAX 3D.
I loved how it looked. But
FATHER!!!!1Space Lo Pan
...etc.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Ok, I no longer feel PV is over powered, I still don't like the concept though and it's ugly as fuck to use, the effect is terrible.

CyReN

Looking at the lineup for the MLG event this weekend makes me sad.

This will be the first time since late 05' (37 events) not watching/attending a Halo event for me :(

kEWal.jpg

eCi7p.jpg

XkX5d.png

Ok, I no longer feel PV is over powered, I still don't like the concept though and it's ugly as fuck to use, the effect is terrible.

I really like the effect but I think the way the pros were using it (going in and out of it, using it as soon as it recharged enough for a little use) made it pretty annoying to see.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
I really like the effect but I think the way the pros were using it (going in and out of it, using it as soon as it recharged enough for a little use) made it pretty annoying to see.

That could be part of it, but it turns a highly polished game into a mess.

The way the pros were using it is part of why I no longer think PV is over powered, because most of the time they used it you could get a feel for where someone is on the motion sensor already, and for long range it's unlikely they will get the drop on anyone due to motion sensors anyway unless they use a sniper,

Vire

That could be part of it, but it turns a highly polished game into a mess.

The way the pros were using it is part of why I no longer think PV is over powered, because most of the time they used it you could get a feel for where someone is on the motion sensor already, and for long range it's unlikely they will get the drop on anyone due to motion sensors anyway unless they use a sniper,

Hmm couldn't disagree more. It basically looks like Detective Vision from Batman Arkham Asylum. AKA: Awesome.

I don't have a problem with the visuals, (really everything in this game looks pretty amazing), but the fact that you can spam it constantly is an issue.

Anywho, the good news is if you don't like it you don't have to use it.

Hmm couldn't disagree more. It basically looks like Detective Vision from Batman Arkham Asylum. AKA: Awesome.

I don't have a problem with the visuals, (really everything in this game looks pretty amazing), but the fact that you can spam it constantly is an issue.

Anywho, the good news is if you don't like it you don't have to use it.

I am rather shocked with how often you can use AA's in Halo 4
I thought that a consequence of having constant sprint would be that armor abilities could not be used as frequently, but I was wrong

Havok

343, for future reference in Assault (in hopes that the rules will be returned to previous glory) when the bomb is armed and counting down to detonation during sudden death, the game shouldn't end unless the enemy team manages to disarm the bomb during the countdown. Arming the bomb with 9 seconds left on the sudden clock is a massive bummer when you think you've got it and it turns out the game has screwed you over.

An effective extra 20 seconds isn't sudden death, it's just a waste of everybody's time. Infinite SD is asking too much, but 30 seconds with 10 unusable seconds isn't enough.

Seeing it soon. I like Alien and Aliens. Never seen 3 and 4.

Ill warn you, its a completely different film than those. Don't go expect "Alien 0".. Still, I enjoyed it though of course it has flaws.

Did 343 mention if Jackals, Hunters, or Brutes would be returning?

Jackals were seen in the e3 demo, Hunters were mentioned in Halo 4 toys...nothing on Brutes yet though, but Im hoping they make a return just for the new design.

BigShow36

Who says PV will be available in games with no radar?

It's like saying the Sniper is deadly in Grifball.

Just saying.

Also, Bungie put dropshields in objective games in Reach, a Banshee in 1v1's in Halo 2, etc. My point is that Developers do really stupid things quite frequently.

i dont know why people think it, but pv doesnt seems as game breaking as jetpack or armor lock. sure it may be overpowered but dont think it will make me hate the game like jetpack and armor lock did

play halo 3 basketball. fun gametype with sniper/br starts

i dont know why people think it, but pv doesnt seems as game breaking as jetpack or armor lock. sure it may be overpowered but dont think it will make me hate the game like jetpack and armor lock did

play halo 3 basketball. fun gametype with sniper/br starts

Halo 3 basketball is so much fun.

feel

Why waste an ability on it?? Just make the maps completely out of seethrough glass and get it over with.

RIP
Smart/stealthy map movement and behind cover fake outs
2001-2012

Why waste an ability on it?? Just make the maps completely out of seethrough glass and get it over with.

RIP
Smart/stealthy map movement and behind cover fake outs
2001-2012

if I had to guess there will be a tactical upgrade, or whatever you call it, to make you undetectable to PV, like cold-blooded perk in CoD (sigh)

Just finished watching all the vids: overall, it looks good, and I'm excited. That doesn't mean there aren't thing I want to be tweaked/removed though.

Promethean vision now annoys the hell out of me, and I can't stand to see it any longer. I can't believe the pros used that practically exclusively, I just wanted to turn the vid off. I think I won't use it when I finally get to play because how annoying it seemed.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I have a feeling Promethean Vision is just a bad first outing. No way they can really sit down, put on their designer hats and let that kind of mechanic abuse slide after watching competitive play.

Promethean vision IMO just needs to mess with the environment more so you cant navigate as well and either be slower when it pings out or just have a shorter range.

Tawpgun

Did 343 mention if Jackals, Hunters, or Brutes would be returning?

Jackals are in as people have said (and shown)

I hope Brutes aren't in. They were boring to fight compared to elites.

As far as Hunters go, I hope there's a forerunner equivalent. If not, bring em back. Perhaps improve their AI a little.

Promethean vision IMO just needs to mess with the environment more so you cant navigate as well and either be slower when it pings out or just have a shorter range.

What if it looked exactly as it did, but the pulse only outlined enemies location when the pulse hits them? Kinda how Sonar works.

So you would never see people MOVING in Promethean Vision, only their last known location and sillohuette when the pulse hit them.

In the MLG videos I saw a bunch of highly skilled FPS players trying to navigate maps they haven't played, shooting guns they have no knowledge of, using controls they don't yet know. In this scenario PV shines but I don't think it is as bad as armor lock or jet pack.

I would rather it be a tool players use to figure out if there is an enemy "there" (a specific spot) rather than to just easy mode it and know where everyone is. This could be done by narrowing the field of view while in PV, or just reduce the duration of the effect.

343 should hire Walshy. And I'm not saying that as a gimmick, dude is personable and understands Halo. Stick him in a room with some Adderall and Red Bull for the next 6 months and listen to all his feedback about the game.
Either the Adderall+Red Bull or the 6 months are redundant in this scenario.

GhaleonEB

So today, I:

1) Gave a very high stakes, high visibility presentation I'd spent three days preparing for. It went as good as it could possibly have gone.

2) Caught the 4:00 showing of Prometheus immediately after (in 3D).

3) Pre-ordered the LE of Halo 4.

It was a good day. Prometheus should be seen in theaters, in 3D. I enjoyed it a great deal overall, buy holy crap did the script need another draft. Not because of any of the big-ticket plot questions left open (I liked them that way), but because most of the character relationships were handled will all the elegance of a toddler attempting home surgery.

I'm about eight hours behind on the thread and all non wafer cost and Prometheus related news. Will catch up in a bit.

Krispy

So awhile back Frankie hinted that the Grenade Launcher wont be coming back because it was underused. Do the development team really believe that its replacement, the Sticky Detonator, will be different?

From watching the MLG videos it seems very ineffectual against moving targets and is quite difficult to actually get a kill with. I'm sure that with a bit of practice and skill you could get good with it, but isn't that why the GL is so underused?

I can't see the casual gamer putting the effort into it and will shun it. We will have come full circle by Halo 5. A few, dedicated SD aficionados will be the only ones calling it in or picking it up and it'll be canned. What's the point?

This post doesn't have a point either. I'm just bitching cause I want the Pro Pipe in Halo 4, even in Halo 5 would be fine. Just so long as it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom