• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

No, it was awesome you awesome hater

Stickman_Okay_Sad_Face-1.jpg

Still think it's cheesy

BigShow36

Can someone explain to me why having that sort of dynamic is a bad thing?

I'm guessing the primary argument is luck-based = lame

I have a pretty extensive argument against it, but I don't have the time right now to go through it all. I'll try and give you a quick breakdown.

Rock, Paper, Scissors type of balance forces players to play the game based on what weapon or ability they currently have. Their freedom of choice is severely restricted because of how each weapon is forced into a "role." The outcome of every given situation isn't determined by the actions, choices and ability of each player, but rather what weapon or ability they currently employ.

While there is certainly some skill in the proper use of each weapon and predictive analyses of battlefield intel, it simply doesn't compare to the skillset of a more open sandbox. When a player is effective and deadly as an individual and from a multitude of ranges and areas on a map, the strategy and skill of the sandbox is exponentially increased.

Rock, paper, scissors is the most simplistic of balance models, and in a game with as much depth as Halo used to have, it's a frustrating development when a Halo game shifts towards it.

Karl2177

You and Bregmann need to bring your A-game. Franklinator and I both got less than 5 hours of sleep last night, and got up at 5am this morning to do Summer Orientation for 9 hours. Debating on taking a nap before the match.

edit: and guys, be on at 9, just to be safe.

wait awit wait. are you both freshman? (mind blown if so)

Overdoziz

Banned
Halo to me is about what you do during a match, not what you happen to choose in some menu. Reach already went in the wrong direction but in most playlist it's still very limited. Halo 4 goes completely overboard with it.
Put 2 teams on a map, give them the same starting weapons and bam, you've got Halo. You can throw whatever the fuck you want on the map for all I care, just let people start on an even playing field.

RIP Halo

Homeboyd

I noticed in the start of the Forge demo the monitor starts off in an area that's not soft killzoned but then soon enters a killzone area upon moving down to the area they were showing off.

Did they say anywhere that the area they showed off in that environment was the only playspace for that environment, or is it possible there is more above, below, around, etc.. like Forge World?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
First matchmaking game with bumper jumper. Team slayer, I go 20-16, my teammates go -8, -10, quit.

That's with me going full retard a few times trying to pick up a weapon and activating my armor ability.

What sensitivity does everyone use? I had heard a while back that lower was better due to the ease of aiming.

Overdoziz

Banned
First matchmaking game with bumper jumper. Team slayer, I go 20-16, my teammates go -8, -10, quit.

That's with me going full retard a few times trying to pick up a weapon and activating my armor ability.

What sensitivity does everyone use? I had heard a while back that lower was better due to the ease of aiming.
I use 4, but you can use practically any sensitivity as long as you're comfortable with it.

Halo has devolved into a very aesthetically pleasing Rock-Paper-Scissors game since H3's EQUIPMENT hot garbageEverything thing you need to go pro in H4.

Since H3 people have collected things to beat up players with. In H2 you played Midship FFA with a BR and you knew what everyone had, no tricks up their sleeves, you donged or were donged. Skill seperated you between the scrublords forever stalking the scrublands of badrankville. Then you had Reach where people got even more tricks to use. It became who had the right trick at the right time. It became a stupid game of potluck dongdinner. Bring back H2. Bring back good Halo. Cleanse the randomness from Halo.

Please no paper scissors rock. It's bad for Halo.

Insert quote from Jaime Griesemer here.
How about rock paper scissors lizard Spock?

Finding a headset is hard. I don't want to shell out 130 for the astro mixamp and have to pay shipping to Canada. Otherwise I heard bad things about trittons and razer. Siberia I heard you need the mixamp or their just average. Maybe I should just close my eyes and pick one. Currently I am playing halo soundless. I'm using a broken Mic where the Mic doesn't work but I can hear people

Karl2177

0-22? I did not think such a thing was possible. Any shred of enjoyment I had from this game is nearly gone. Now I just wait for the tourney to play any games.

It's a weird situation when "Halo" cannot be added to, only taken away. Add in AAs? Give players a way to take em off. Give them more weapons? Too much RPS gameplay. Give us the same startin weapons.

It's not too weird I guess. Let people get rid of everything 343/Bungie add to the game so they can have the Halo they want. Not too hard.

Edit: I'm not saying that's a bad thing or anything.

Overdoziz

Banned
It's a weird situation when "Halo" cannot be added to, only taken away. Add in AAs? Give players a way to take em off. Give them more weapons? Too much RPS gameplay. Give us the same startin weapons.

It's not too weird I guess. Let people get rid of everything 343/Bungie add to the game so they can have the Halo they want. Not too hard.

Edit: I'm not saying that's a bad thing or anything.
It's not about adding stuff, it's about adding stuff and letting people spawn with them. You can add whatever you want as long as you put it on the map as make people 'earn' it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom