• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There might be a classic playlist but things like kill times, aim magnetism, spread, etc will hinder the ability of the playlist to truly be classic.
Dude whaaaat? If you want to play the same exact settings just grab your halo 2 disc and play that damm thing.

You really want people to pay 60 bucks for a reskinned port from a 8 years old game?

What about letting 343 focus on making the game they want and put some trust on them?

:/

It's a weird situation when "Halo" cannot be added to, only taken away. Add in AAs? Give players a way to take em off. Give them more weapons? Too much RPS gameplay. Give us the same startin weapons.

It's not too weird I guess. Let people get rid of everything 343/Bungie add to the game so they can have the Halo they want. Not too hard.

Edit: I'm not saying that's a bad thing or anything.
That was probably the largest issue with Reach. Even though you could strip away armor abilities, you were left with Reaches base traits and new mechanics that were just, meh. You couldn't get that classic feel even if you tried, not until the TU at least.

I am optimistic that Halo 4 base traits and mechanics will be much more in line with Halo 2 and 3, so stripping away Sprint, Ordnance, Armor abilities and armor mods will leave something very classic in essence. At least that's how I see it.

And I am in no way bashing Halo 4 and can't wait to play the new game modes and test out the new abilities. I'm just very happy with what the base game appears to be.

First matchmaking game with bumper jumper. Team slayer, I go 20-16, my teammates go -8, -10, quit.

That's with me going full retard a few times trying to pick up a weapon and activating my armor ability.

What sensitivity does everyone use? I had heard a while back that lower was better due to the ease of aiming.

I use 4, sometimes going down to 3 if I'm having a bad day.

Also, if you're trying to learn bumper jumper, try to throw your grenades without aiming, so you can more easily adapt™ to Halo 4.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
welp, that last page was weird.

wen do we get to c didax?

claw.jpg

Swarmerr

Dude whaaaat? If you want to play the same exact settings just grab your halo 2 disc and play that damm thing.

You really want people to pay 60 bucks for a reskinned port from a 8 years old game?

What about letting 343 focus on making the game they want and put some trust on them?

:/

In earlier posts I say just as much. (the part about letting 343 make their own game and me accepting that fact)

All I am saying is a classic playlist will not play like what you or I think of as a classic game. So the question is why bother? A classic playlist will only bring on nostalgia of what previous games were like while never having the hope of being as good as previous games.

For example if you look at mlg settings versus vanilla reach, even though in my personal opinion mlg settings are better, they still have missing pieces. For instance no sprint on maps designed with sprint creates an odd situaiton. Classic playlists get stuck in the middle between the game that they are created on in relation to the game they are trying to imitate.

In earlier posts I say just as much. (the part about letting 343 make their own game and me accepting that fact)

All I am saying is a classic playlist will not play like what you or I think of as a classic game. So the question is why bother? A classic playlist will only bring on nostalgia of what previous games were like while never having the hope of being as good as previous games.

For example if you look at mlg settings versus vanilla reach, even though in my personal opinion mlg settings are better, they still have missing pieces. For instance no sprint on maps designed with sprint creates an odd situaiton. Classic playlists get stuck in the middle between the game that they are created on in relation to the game they are trying to imitate.

the only map created properly for vanilla reach was powerhouse.

Fuchsdh

Who was talking about MLG being filled with newbies due to the super jackpot?

I think that the old jackpot + assassination challenges = insta-win.

Qtzr7.png

Noricart

Yes, this resulted in a headshot.

You're making it out to be worse than it is. You can take most stills of headshots and they always look like they are way off point, not just in halo but in any game. Honestly, we don't really know how the sniper works until we get our hands on it. I don't think second hand video is sufficient.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Halo to me is about what you do during a match, not what you happen to choose in some menu. Reach already went in the wrong direction but in most playlist it's still very limited. Halo 4 goes completely overboard with it.
Put 2 teams on a map, give them the same starting weapons and bam, you've got Halo. You can throw whatever the fuck you want on the map for all I care, just let people start on an even playing field.

RIP Halo
I 100% agree. Yet I'm not too pissed about Halo 4 deviating from that. I guess I've come to terms with the reality that Halo 4 will be an amazing game, even if it's not what I want it to be.

You're making it out to be worse than it is. You can take most stills of headshots and they always look like they are way off point, not just in halo but in any game. Honestly, we don't really know how the sniper works until we get our hands on it. I don't think second hand video is sufficient.

Shot wasn't fired in that frame either...

Seance

Banned
If left stick is sprint then that will make performing crouch jumps very awkward. Would prefer swap nade to be "B" and crouch "d pad", for bumper jumper.

If left stick is sprint then that will make performing crouch jumps very awkward. Would prefer swap nade to be "B" and crouch "d pad", for bumper jumper.

Bumper jumper has sprint on the face buttons. The problem is that armor abilities are on the left trigger (in this build)

Halo development in general boggles the mind. In Halo 4 we have

• bloom
  • recoil
  • spread
  • flinching
  • matchmaking UI changed to Web 19.0 look
  • bumper jumper changed
  • sniper scope changed to Wall-E
  • x-ray vision
  • riot shield
  • forge world is grey again
  • maps focused on canon not streamlined structures
  • no dedis
  • no spectator mode
  • no custom server browser
  • no proper ranking system
  • no 60fps
  • no terrain editor
  • instant respawn
  • randomized spawn locations
  • killstreaks
  • perks
  • pre-order bonus gun camo
the list goes on. If you had told me 5 years ago that that's what Halo would be like in 2012, I would've taken a hit off the joint you were smoking.

I like your brutal honesty because most of the things I read you complaining about are very true. People blindly follow what devs feed them when what they say makes absolutely NO sense (sorry Stinkles but your defense of PV is just.. lol), yet these people are the first to complain because like sheep, they followed the words people feed them instead of forming their own opinion from experience.

The problem with Reach, IMO, wasn't the AA's and other features like bloom. It's how Bungie failed to implement them.

Reach is essentially the game we all asked for since Halo 3:

---We asked for Sprint, we got it.
---We asked for Jetpacks cuz of the Grav. Lift, we got it.
---The list goes on..

The core gameplay mechanics were a sluggish mess, like Halo 3, so as long as Halo 4 can get the CORE gameplay to feel right, the AA's and other features will be fine. Oh and make Camo a gawd damn POWERUP with OS, Damage Boost and Speed Boost! At least have that option in the game to have Camo also a pick-up :[

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I really really hate left stick to sprint. Dear 343: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Keep bumper jumper like Reach with:

X : Sprint
A : Armor Ability
Up on D-pad : Switch Grenades
And double press jump to activate jetpack.

The last one is optional as far as I'm concerned. Having AAs in a compromised location is totally worth keeping grenades on the left trigger.

Shot wasn't fired in that frame either...

Yes it was. The reticle never turned red nor did it ever get closer to the dude's head. I mean, I think I am making a bigger deal about it than it is, so I'll just let it go lol

Also, does anyone know if the Thruster can be controlled with how far you travel or is it static like Evade? I ask because in this clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBBv5YS9084&feature=youtu.be - at 4:40 the guy uses the Thruster and goes NO WHERE lol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Halo development in general boggles the mind. In Halo 4 we have
  • bloom
  • recoil
  • spread
  • flinching
  • matchmaking UI changed to Web 19.0 look
  • bumper jumper changed
  • sniper scope changed to Wall-E
  • x-ray vision
  • riot shield
  • forge world is grey again
  • maps focused on canon not streamlined structures
  • no dedis
  • no spectator mode
  • no custom server browser
  • no proper ranking system
  • no 60fps
  • no terrain editor
  • instant respawn
  • randomized spawn locations
  • killstreaks
  • perks
  • pre-order bonus gun camo
the list goes on. If you had told me 5 years ago that that's what Halo would be like in 2012, I would've taken a hit off the joint you were smoking.
Never leave us.

Havok

Reach is essentially the game we all asked for since Halo 3:
--We...
--We...
I don't even disagree with your point that poor execution should not damn the fundamental ideals to some "this will never work!" zone, but this ridiculous assertion that there is a singular "we" as if anything in this game's, or any, community is unanimous, is hilarious.

Also sometimes, people just don't think that things that others have a problem with are a big deal. It doesn't make them sheep, and making that comparison is incredibly arrogant.

a zoojoo

Banned
something i noticed about the warthog turret, is that the bullets seem to be based off a travel time system instead of hitscan like the previous games, i wonder why.

Ramirez

I don't know how you crazies expect you use your AA mid fight with it on a face button, seems like you'd already be dead by the time you activate it. Recon 4 lyfe.

Despite Kyle already knowing the game is garbage, he'll be there at midnight with the rest of us.

I don't even disagree with your point that poor execution should not damn the fundamental ideals to some "this will never work!" zone, but this ridiculous assertion that there is a singular "we" as if anything in this game's, or any, community is unanimous, is hilarious.

Also sometimes, people just don't think that things that others have a problem with are a big deal. It doesn't make them sheep, and making that comparison is incredibly arrogant.

lol semantics

"We" as in many people in the community. Obviously not 100% of the community.. Come on now. Also, the sheep comment was referring to the people who don't think for themselves and blindly follow what others tell them. How is that at all arrogant? You're implying that I'm saying that 100% of people who follow what people tell them don't have a mind of their own.. Don't twist my words, guy.

Overdoziz

Banned
I really really hate left stick to sprint. Dear 343: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Keep bumper jumper like Reach with:

X : Sprint
A : Armor Ability
Up on D-pad : Switch Grenades
And double press jump to activate jetpack.

The last one is optional as far as I'm concerned. Having AAs in a compromised location is totally worth keeping grenades on the left trigger.
Do this 343. DO. IT.

I don't know how you crazies expect you use your melee mid fight with it on a face button, seems like you'd already be dead by the time you activate it. Default 4 lyfe.

The core gameplay mechanics were a sluggish mess, like Halo 3, so as long as Halo 4 can get the CORE gameplay to feel right, the AA's and other features will be fine. Oh and make Camo a gawd damn POWERUP with OS, Damage Boost and Speed Boost! At least have that option in the game to have Camo also a pick-up :[

These were literally just discussed over the past few pages. It would be awesome if you could have discussed it with us :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom