• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Yeah, and we also heard there'd be more Reach DLC if Anni sold well. In their own words, Anniversary sold above expectations. I don't see any more Reach DLC.

With everything pointing to a 2 year cycle as standard, I don't see them having the bandwidth to work on both Halo 5 and more 4 DLC at the same time, unless the DLC is heavily outsourced to Certain Affinity. I wish they had done the outsourcing thing for Reach, just let Certain Affinity go wild and drop content on the playerbase every 3 months. Instead we got a repeat of 3 where the first two DLC packs released promptly and kept the playerbase hot, then they just sat on their hands to cross market another game again.
I would guess that atleast one of the upcoming mappacks is made by CA.

FyreWulff

I would guess that atleast one of the upcoming mappacks is made by CA.

I'm going to guess all 3 map packs are being made by Certain Affinity, with 343 handling the SpOps DLC.

343 - Campaign and Campaign spinoffs

Certain Affinity - Multiplayer DLC

Honestly wouldn't have a problem with that

Computron

Gif Dump Incoming.

Snip

This is 343 we are talking about...

Post-Convention 343, yes. Also, remember BSangel's twitter?

Anyway if you are making .GIFs, there are a few things to watch out for so people's data caps and browsers dont explode.
The image size is the biggest factor Counting towards file size.
Cutting it down slightly cuts the file size quite a lot and nonlinearly. .GIFs have a sweet spot for size.
Ninjas Hijacked my mother.
After that is your use of diffusion if you got smooth gradients.
If you got a lot of motion, you can throw down the color amount and crank the diffusion and no one will know the difference.
If you saw my high speed Nexuiz .GIF, that's a good example.
A robot shat on my horoscope.
If you are cutting together multiple shots into one .GIF, try to keep the shots from the same palette.
Meaning, all the dark blue night time shots in one .GIF and the sunny desert yellow in another.
That way you can cut down your pallette further and still get the same or better quality.
Apple juice!
The next biggest thing inflating size is the actuall frame count.
You could use every other frame and double the frame time to compensate.
This helps especially if you can't avoid big color pallette changes.

Post-Convention 343, yes. Also, remember BSangel's twitter?

Anyway if you making .GIFs, there are a few things to watch out for so people's data caps and browser's dont explode.
The image size is the biggest factor Counting towards file size.
Ninjas Hijacked my mother.
After that is your use of diffusion if you got smooth gradients.
If you got a lot of motion, you can throw down the color amount and crank the diffusion and no one will know the difference.
If you saw my high speed Nexuiz .GIF, that's a good example.
A robot shat on my horoscope.
If you are cutting together multiple shots into one .GIF, try to keep the shots from the same palette.
Meaning, all the dark blue night time shots in one .GIF and the sunny desert yellow in another.
That way you can cut down your pallette further and still get the same or better quality.
Apple juice!
The next biggest thing inflating size is the actuall frame count.
You could use every other frame and double the frame time to compensate.
This helps especially if you can avoid big color pallette changes.

Great info, Thanks! And I've been trying my best to keep them ~10mb and less to be respectable to others.

Computron

Great info, Thanks! And I've been trying my best to keep them ~10mb and less to be respectable to others.

Try for ~3-4x less.otherwise your getting to the point where you should be posting a YouTube video. (which would end up at least 10x smalle at that rate)

.Gifs are great if you wanna show a short animation or something with a cool parallax motion because those have interesting repetition.

Some of the best .GIFs I've seen are the one where you either can't tell where/when it loops or because you just want to watch all the detail in the motion multiple times rapidly so you can absorb any details you may missed.

I must have watched that Nexuiz Speed Flag Cap .GIF 50 times by now, not to toot my own horn or anything.

Though to be fair, the default maps in Reach was terrible. Can't say much in regards to Halo 4, but surely they won't be as bad.

Yeah i hear ya. So far, from what we've seen at E3/RTX, and heard from people that got hands on playtime, the maps look to be a lot better. But it's really hard to nail down what maps will turn out for worse, based on player tendencies for specific maps that only come to light after weeks/months of being online. Sword Base for example was not immediately hated i don't think. Of course, I like sword base lol.

TheOddOne

Strange suit:
iDEjPxVCTkPx8.jpeg

L1NETT

Strange suit:

Conan O'Brien's suit confirmed?

Might be something to do with the Infinity, but I'm not sure.

Edit: Alright just read back a bit and got a couple of things to add

This "Specialization" every 10 level choice thing. Does that mean we choose between a couple? So completionists are going to do what....

Also, armour unlocks based on skill rather than credits? Does that mean a better player will just get everything quicker? Because it isn't a skill system which goes down (if you start playing worse) I am guessing, so it is just an elongated credit system.

Seance

Banned
Just discovered the HaloGAF community Halo3tage. Awesome stuff :)
Damn those were the days, hope 4 brings back some of that kind of fun.

FyreWulff

Haha, lol.

I even spliced in some Day Job Orchestra references in my .GIF tech jargon just to see if anyone read it, but it seems now that that was also pretty esoteric.

Maybe I should do Homestarrunner next. Fyrewulff would read it.

~~ I was raised by a cup of coffee ~~

Hard to believe that hasn't been updated in as long as it has.

Woorloog

Banned
Just wondering, are Brutes going to make an appearance in Halo 4 in any way? Are they an enemy?

Considering the Covenant plays smaller role, i'd say it is logical to assume they're not in.
Brutes and Elites don't have too too different roles in the sandbox, no map in Reach had both Elites and Brutes leading Grunts and Jackals.
Too bad, IMO. Like Brutes.
That said, i hope i'm wrong and they're in.

EDIT i'm more worried about whether Hunters are in or not. IMO at least the four base Covenant species should be in (Elites, Grunts, Jackals, Hunters).

Akai__

Junior, we got an assignment for you.

Switch to a PolyPhasic Sleep Schedule like the uberman:

9hrI0.png

and report back to us with your finding's if you haven't died of exhaustion in the process.

We'll have our own little version off a "developer crunch-off"

Be sure to listen to lots of Skrillex when you feel sleepy.

I'm sorry to dissapoint you, but I need my sleep. I was just so hyped ysterday, that I couldn't sleep, but after another 2 hours, I got microsleeps. So, the question was, if I should do the microsleeps trick (sleep for 30 minutes and wake up, because you will feel like you slept 12 hours) or if I should sleep for 1 1/2 hours. Something like the uberman shedule, will never happen to me. Mainly, because I have to work and go to university and I would have to drink too much cofee or something else, that has a higher amount of coffein.

not sure if mentioned
but what weapon is that at 6:40
not in players hands. you can see 2 parallel red beams deflecting off the floor

Watch the video around the 2 minutes mark, he is the incredible Hulk. Taking so much damage, but he isn't dieing.

Spiders

EDIT i'm more worried about whether Hunters are in or not. IMO at least the four base Covenant species should be in (Elites, Grunts, Jackals, Hunters).

I wouldn't worry too much. They're very iconic and have been in every halo game so far, so I don't think they'd just leave them out.

Woorloog

Banned
I wouldn't worry too much. They're very iconic and have been in every halo game so far, so I don't think they'd just leave them out.

I know that. But can't help but worrying because: a) that's my nature, b)343i is staying awfully quiet in general.

In general, i'm not worried about Halo 4 though.
Visually i like it. Sound desing seems to be good. Gameplay looks like Halo.

Major worries: Campaign length, multiplayer map desing, playlist management.
Minor worries: Are Hunters in?, weapon balance in multiplayer. EDIT i think i had something else too... guess it is not very important for me since i cannot remember it. If i had something in mind.

EDIT also, it is time for a new avatar... Wish 343i would release new screenshots...

Omni

Weirdest game of Halo 2 Vista. We just captured the flag on Coagulation to gain the lead and then the frame rate dropped from a steady 60FPS to ~10.

Strangely enough it happened to everyone on my side. Dem haxors

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Weirdest game of Halo 2 Vista. We just captured the flag on Coagulation to gain the lead and then the frame rate dropped from a steady 60FPS to ~10.

Strangely enough it happened to everyone on my side. Dem haxors
Same thing happened to me, Kyle and a couple others here on Boardwalk one time.

Shadders

That was the weirdest Q&A..

I'm a teacher and having a baby, I can't afford new console.

Why did you leave me in the bar Frank Whaaa!

(I can ask any question) How much will the Xbox cost?

Is Spartan Ops coming with the game?

The best question (the one about loadouts) sounded like it was being asked by a ten year old.

ElRenoRaven

That was the weirdest Q&A..

I'm a teacher and having a baby, I can't afford new console.

Why did you leave me in the bar Frank Whaaa!

(I can ask any question) How much will the Xbox cost?

Is Spartan Ops coming with the game?

The best question (the one about loadouts) sounded like it was being asked by a ten year old.

Meh none of that bothered me. I've learned to just turn off any panel when questions come up because the people that get to ask are complete morons. Hence we don't get any new information from them.

Shadders

Meh none of that bothered me. I've learned to just turn off any panel when questions come up because the people that get to ask are complete morons. Hence we don't get any new information from them.

Yeah I guess, it's frustrating because they should be the best parts of the panel. I went to a Q&A with Nolan North and Rich Lemarchand (Uncharted lead designer) last year and we submitted questions on little cards as we entered the room, one of the event staff picked the best ones.

It's good because you don't just get people asking questions that have been answered a hundred times already, but also I imagine they filter out all the really hard questions.

Talents

Banned
Is it just me or does anyone else feel like this whole "ancient enemy" thing is so convoluted by now because of how often they've changed their minds (or so it seems like)? The first mention of the ancient enemy led everyone to immediately think of the Precursors, but other people felt confused because Cortana refers to The Flood as the "Ancient Enemy" in Origins.

Debunked when Frankie confirmed no Flood.

Then all this hype about the big reveal of this threat to be shown at E3 only for 343 to say the ancient enemy has yet to be revealed..

Basically confirms the Didact isn't the ancient evil?

Now this news that we'll be shocked at the ancient evil?

So definitely not the Didact? Maybe back to the Precursors showing up?

My head's spinning now as to what this reveal will be like :b which I guess is a good thing to keep it a surprise!

..just sounds like the Bungie run-around all over again lol but I digress..

Some of the prehistoric humans survived and they're the ancient evil.

CALLING IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom