• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just about to cap that. Good scope on the locations show so far. My jaw still drops a bit when they say, "fifty missions" in the panel. That's....a LOT of missions. Good lord.
Yep, gonna be spending a LOT of time in Spartan Ops, and I've barely seen anything about it, lol. The mashed-up concepts of objective, campaign, and firefight wrapped up in a burrito of passive competition between teammates has me excited to no end.

MrBig

I was just about to cap that. Good scope on the locations show so far. My jaw still drops a bit when they say, "fifty missions" in the panel. That's....a LOT of missions. Good lord.

And they're open to continuing it with more seasons

I doubt I'll play mp at all, nothing I've seen about it interests me. SpOps and campaign though are looking amazing. I was skeptical about what 343 was doing for a long time, but it's looking absolutely amazing to me now :)

I've watched the Halo 4 panel. My thoughts. Which no one will read cause I'm pretty late with this.

1. I really enjoyed the trailer that was shown at the beginning, but I'm not sure why it's being shown in movie theaters. It's a mixture of what 343 Industries is about, and compares Halo 4 to movies. What is it trying to accomplish? Why not just show footage from the game's campaign as a trailer? But again, that aside, it was really enjoyable. Lots of interesting tidbits shown. The music is great – and I LOVED hearing that the soundtrack was recorded with a real orchestra (so no heavy reliance on electronic substitutes) at Abbey Road Studios. It was great seeing some concept art and their realized counterparts.

2. Most of the gameplay teases look like a lot of fun. What I'm most fascinated with is that giant brown vehicle. I'm eager to see how it fits in, and it seems like a natural evolution of Halo's vehicle combat. Out of the gameplay teases, the only thing that doens't fit well is...

3. Mechs. The trailer heavily implies mech combat and this is something I'm very nervous about. Definitely the trough of the trailer for me. Mechs aren't something I see as a step forward in Halo's vehicle gameplay. Hopefully 343 proves me wrong.

4. Nice, different look at that concept art that was originally shown at the end of that concept art trailer.

5. For what 343 is doing for Halo 4, specializations seem like a great addition. More incentives to go back and do different specializations to unlock different emblems and stuff. This will keep players coming back beyond that initial release period.

6. The mode specific assassinations look great, but I still hope we can toggle off assassinations. I don't like doing them by accident. Assasinations look cool and all but the appeal of them quickly wears off for me – they take too long – and I just want to move on.

7. From the assassinations video, you can see the flag carrier holding a pistol and a flag. Very nervous about this change and how it affects the gameplay of CTF matches. Will it emphasize more teamwork? Less? Will it push players to go after the objective more?

8. Spartan Ops look very fun to play in as a whole, but I could've sworn there are some environments in there that have been debuted as campaign spaces, like the one at 35:51. Didn't 343 say there weren't going to remove anything from the campaign about Spartan Ops?

Edit: NEVER MIND. Same environment, different location.

9. New enemy?

10. Yay. Easter eggs.

11. Steve Downes in that hat!

JonCha

If Magnum is weak and flags can be juggled then it's really a non-issue.

And Assassinations aren't going to be turned off, not in competitive anyway, because how would that work?

Arnie

I've watched the Halo 4 panel. My thoughts. Which no one will read cause I'm pretty late with this.
I read, bro.
1. I really enjoyed the trailer that was shown at the beginning, but I'm not sure why it's being shown in movie theaters. It's a mixture of what 343 Industries is about, and compares Halo 4 to movies. What is it trying to accomplish? Why not just show footage from the game's campaign as a trailer? But again, that aside, it was really enjoyable. Lots of interesting tidbits shown. The music is great – and I LOVED hearing that the soundtrack was recorded with a real orchestra (so no heavy reliance on electronic substitutes) at Abbey Road Studios. It was great seeing some concept art and their realized counterparts.
I actually thought the opposite, I was really impressed with what they're attempting with the Theatrical trailer. It's clear that games need a new audience to be uber successful, especially this late in the generation. What this trailer does is communicate the language, and art, of making games to people completely ignorant of the industry. My parents will go and see Batman, but they've got no interest in the videogame industry. This translates ideas and methods of film production into game production, in a way they can understand.

I've no doubt that some will come away from that trailer with a newfound appreciation for Halo, but most of all I'm pleased that people will come away with a newfound appreciation of the industry as a whole. I think publishers should be more conscious of doing things like this to push the industry further into the mainstream. It's all good showing a CG trailer of Assassin's Creed before a film and sort of winging it, hoping you'll grab a few film goers with this ultra realistic animation. But it's more productive to draw proper parallels between the industry the audience loves and one they probably could/should.

Still waiting on that skill based ranking system Frank, Dave, Kiki. With seven weeks until certification that excuse of constant tinkering and tweaking is looking less and less water tight by the day. If there actually isn't one and it's just that guff/terrible/abhorent/*insert pejorative here SPECIALIZATION system that's ripped from countless other games and inspires nothing but apathy, then dear lord help us all. In fact if that is the case then I might downgrade to the standard edition, because those added map packs just became a lot less alluring.

JonCha

I read, bro.

I actually thought the opposite, I was really impressed with what they're attempting with the Theatrical trailer. It's clear that games need a new audience to be uber successful, especially this late in the generation. What this trailer does is communicate the language, and art, of making games to people completely ignorant of the industry. My parents will go and see Batman, but they've got no interest in the videogame industry. This translates ideas and methods of film production into game production, in a way they can understand.

I've no doubt that some will come away from that trailer with a newfound appreciation for Halo, but most of all I'm pleased that people will come away with a newfound appreciation of the industry as a whole. I think publishers should be more conscious of doing things like this to push the industry further into the mainstream. It's all good showing a CG trailer of Assassin's Creed before a film and sort of winging it, hoping you'll grab a few film goers with this ultra realistic animation. But it's more productive to draw proper parallels between the industry the audience loves and one they probably could/should.

Still waiting on that skill based ranking system Frank, Dave, Kiki. With seven weeks until certification that excuse of constant tinkering and tweaking is looking less and less water tight by the day. If there actually isn't one and it's just that guff/terrible/abhorent/*insert pejorative here SPECIALIZATION system that's ripped from countless other games and inspires nothing but apathy, then dear lord help us all. In fact if that is the case then I might downgrade to the standard edition, because those added map packs just became a lot less alluring.

Do you really think a ranking system is that much of a deal breaker? Reach's low population numbers are caused by a lot more than a lacking of a ranking system.

Edit: and didn't Frank say - or someone - that we have an individual number that only we can see?

The trailer is for the mainstream audience. Not for you and not for me. I got the impression that it should educate and eliminate prejudices, people have these days. You know how serious business to develop a game is. But the most do not. The video shows how many people work on a game. And then we have the comparison with the movie business. That producing a video game is like shooting a movie. At result, people are going to be impressed by the stuff. At least I know that my mom, my dad and my sister would be.

Arnie

Do you really think a ranking system is that much of a deal breaker? Reach's low population numbers are caused by a lot more than a lacking of a ranking system.

Edit: and didn't Frank say - or someone - that we have an individual number that only we can see?

For me and my friends it is, yes. And to clarify, none of them are hardcore MLG players, just gamers who like the idea of being matched, and playing to increase an overall approximation of their skill level. It increases competition in both the opponents you face and your determination to keep winning.

Experience and time based ranking is a lazy, awful attempt at a substitute for this, and one that's been done to death this generation.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
ODST's co-op netcode has always been much better than Reach's for me. I remember hearing Reach's netcode got worse to support drop-out without ending the game.

I had issues with ODST netcode too, but it worked far more than Reach does.

This is the one area I am still nervous about. I love playing score attack, but it's the only Firefight I play now since the input lag is so bad in general FF or co-op. I'm really hoping 343 ironed that out for 4.

But this point is really good, didn't catch it on my own, it could be an really oddlooking Elite armor or it is indeed something new.

Kinda looks like a Jackal with different armor. And I think he's holding a Carbine.

Ranger Elite.
These are all possibilities I didn't consider at first glance. My first impression was a new Promethean enemy type. It's hard to tell with that lighting I guess.

And Assassinations aren't going to be turned off, not in competitive anyway, because how would that work?
What do you mean? I'm not asking for assassinations to be turned off for everyone. I'm not asking them to be removed. I understand the appeal of assassinations, and I understand that people really enjoy them. They are VERY cool to look at. But for me? I'm too impatient for them. What I am asking for is a toggle so I don't accidentally perform one when I don't want to, and it's not hard to imagine a situation in which a mistake like that would get me killed. I don't think asking for a toggle is unreasonable.

I read, bro.
Haha. Thanks, Arnie.

The trailer is for the mainstream audience. Not for you and not for me. I got the impression that it should educate and eliminate prejudices, people have these days. You know how serious business to develop a game is. But the most do not. The video shows how many people work on a game. And then we have the comparison with the movie business. That producing a video game is like shooting a movie. At result, people are going to be impressed by the stuff. At least I know that my mom, my dad and my sister would be.
Good points here, and now the trailer makes more sense. I guess I was looking at in a different way and comparing it to this: How cool would it be to sit down in a movie theater and watch a gameplay trailer for Halo 4's campaign? I'd go see a movie just to see that!
Arnie said:
Just one more thought on specializations. I worded my statement carefully about them. I have no idea, like so many things about the multiplayer, if I'll like specializations or not, but for the direction 343 is taking Halo 4 in, they seem like a great, logical addition.

I wonder if the emblems tied to the specializations have been shown yet. Maybe the Librarian symbol is one of them and that's why we haven't seen it yet.

ODST's co-op netcode has always been much better than Reach's for me. I remember hearing Reach's netcode got worse to support drop-out without ending the game.

I agree with this to a certain extent. It starts to usually screw up around the hour mark for me though.

I don't think I've even played a hour long FF match in reach.

But I'm gonna play the hell out of ops.

rBaD6.png

oh youtube comments

Louis Wu

Found out that the GameStop where I preordered my copy is going to do a tournament with a grand prize for the winner on launch night.
Heh - not sure if I ever told this story here, but I went to a Gamestop 'After Hours' event at the closest Gamestop to me a couple of months before Reach launched. Every Gamestop had one Legendary edition of Reach to give away that night - and I got that one, because I was the only person over 17 who showed up to the event. (I mean, really?)

With the 8GB requirement I imagine they're going to be pushing DLC hard. Hopefully it's actually with the point of adoption rates going up, because if they pull the 10$ forever stuff again it's not going to work.

And since we already know there's 3 DLC packs, I imagine they'll all be out before E3 2013.
Dude - a 20-second search turned up deals like this one - buy a 60gb HD for $18, stop complaining about what you can't do without one.

This actually makes me laugh. The making of video was something I first saw on Method's own website - we posted news about it two weeks ago. Check out who told us about it!

Hint:
It was you.

IHaveIce

Banned
I agree with this to a certain extent. It starts to usually screw up around the hour mark for me though.

I don't think I've even played a hour long FF match in reach.

But I'm gonna play the hell out of ops.

Yeah I can agree with that, when some friends and me were going for Endure the lag got worse over time, the longer the game the worse it got.

But I had no problems with ODSTs Netcode or Halo 3's like I did with Reachs.. I did Endure and Annual Achievement botch with an American, Australian, German and me (also german) and it worked.

In Reach Campagin Coop starts lagging when I play with 2 other guys from the same town. Same with Firefight.

what happened there?

The Halo CEA COOP lags the most
This got fixed didn't it? The first games I tried to play in Coop were the hell.

Woorloog

Banned
what happened there?

Reach happened.

Really hoping Spartan Ops won't have lag like Reach FF/campaign coop do. If it has, it means i need to play 'em solo or in split-screen only (assuming non-Gold profiles can play it as well, as long as the game is local).

Flagcarrier is such a perfect song for CTF matches.

EDIT also, just realised i've never played Halo CEA co-op over Live.

RdN

What do you mean? I'm not asking for assassinations to be turned off for everyone. I'm not asking them to be removed. I understand the appeal of assassinations, and I understand that people really enjoy them. They are VERY cool to look at. But for me? I'm too impatient for them. What I am asking for is a toggle so I don't accidentally perform one when I don't want to, and it's not hard to imagine a situation in which a mistake like that would get me killed. I don't think asking for a toggle is unreasonable.

Don't get me wrong here, but if you can't just press the button instead of holding it, perhaps you deserve that death.

Fotos

There's awful lag in 3, ODST, Reach, and CEA. Where's this idea that Reach is the only one that has it?

Just had an entire play through of Halo 3's campaign yesterday with 2 friends over live and we had little to none lag. We tried to play Reach's campaign and it was terrible.

Blinding

Don't get me wrong here, but if you can't just press the button instead of holding it, perhaps you deserve that death.

Except for, you know, the fact that as it stands in Reach, even when you tap the button, very rarely will you just do a normal back smack and instead get sucked into doing an animation.

neoism

Just had an entire play through of Halo 3's campaign yesterday with 2 friends over live and we had little to none lag. We tried to play Reach's campaign and it was terrible.

wow I've never had lag in campaign... even the few times I played 4 player co-op.... Reach still has the best net code of all of them... maybe your connection doesn't like it or something.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
wow I've never had lag in campaign... even the few times I played 4 player co-op.... Reach still has the best net code of all of them... maybe your connection doesn't like it or something.

Never had lag in the campaign? Playing co-op over the internet?

I don't believe you for a moment. You did have lag.

Woorloog

Banned
There's awful lag in 3, ODST, Reach, and CEA. Where's this idea that Reach is the only one that has it?

Reach FF/campaign co-op is playable when i'm the host, otherwise i quit because it is unplayable. Specifically, the input lag is the issue.
I've played Halo 3 only with my friend who lives in Helsinki as well and the lag was non-existent. EDIT actually, i've played it with some random people from Europe BUT someone's connection gave out and that was it.
ODST works well withing Europe at least, in my experience, lag being minimal (sniping being the only issue really) (and withing Helsinki, no issues at all).
And as i said, i haven't played Halo CEA over Live.

I'm not actually sure how Reach works within Helsinki, i cannot remember if i have played it over Live with my friend or not. As for why i don't remember, i assume it is because even in co-op, Reach campaign is the worst and thus not worth remembering.

Tawpgun

Dude - a 20-second search turned up deals like this one - buy a 60gb HD for $18, stop complaining about what you can't do without one.

Not sure if Fyre has the same problem... but I have an aging Xbox with a 20 gig HD.

I don't want to shell out money on a new Xbox. But I feel if I shell out money on an HD Im gonna need to replace the Xbox soon.

But thats not even the biggest problem. The biggest is that they stopped making HD's for the old Xbox models. And they're still horrendously overpriced. I saw gamestop offers cheap "refurbished" ones, and while the reviews are mostly positive I did see some people saying it wiped all their data.

Except for, you know, the fact that as it stands in Reach, even when you tap the button, very rarely will you just do a normal back smack and instead get sucked into doing an animation.

If you tap it you will always get a normal backsmack.

The problem comes from that fact that when you're in the heat of battle you tend to clench a bit, so although you don't want to, you end up doing it by accident. An option to toggle it off would be fantastic. I would turn it off for competetive games, and turn it on everytime else.

Blinding

If you tap it you will always get a normal backsmack.

The problem comes from that fact that when you're in the heat of battle you tend to clench a bit, so although you don't want to, you end up doing it by accident. An option to toggle it off would be fantastic. I would turn it off for competetive games, and turn it on everytime else.

Hasn't been the case for me. I've played enough games to know when I'm tapping like I would for what I expect to be a normal backsmack, and when I'm purposely trying to go for an assassination, and when I randomly get pulled into one there is absolutely no difference in how I've tapped the button, no significant change in force, or time held down, etc. It's constantly been an inconsistent function in my experience.

Blueblur1

It's apparent that everyone has a different experience with each subsequent Halo games' campaign net code. Remember that your own location and connection along with those of your team mates affect the latency of the game sessions. I couldn't play a single match of ODST FF with anyone in Europe but it worked fine when I was playing Reach FF with a European player (aside from frustrating input lag). Your experience will vary.

Tawpgun

Hasn't been the case for me. I've played enough games to know when I'm tapping like I would for what I expect to be a normal backsmack, and when I'm purposely trying to go for an assassination, and when I randomly get pulled into one there is absolutely no difference in how I've tapped the button, no significant change in force, or time held down, etc. It's constantly been an inconsistent function in my experience.

The tap needs to be really quick, which is a problem too.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Gotta be the controller then. I could count how many times I've accidentally assassinated someone on one hand.

ElRenoRaven

Yea. I just bought one last week myself for 20 bucks on amazon. Decided that with Halo 4 going to require as much as it is I had no choice. Also didn't much like already having one memory stick sticking out my 360. So now I have a nice 30 plus gigs of free space after moving my memory sticks stuff to the new 60 gig. So yea upgrading your hdd isn't that expensive.

Overdoziz

Banned
Gotta be the controller then. I could count how many times I've accidentally assassinated someone on one hand.
It's rarely a problem for me either but one accidental assassination is one too many. It's like hitting the flag pole while trying to shoot other people. It rarely happens but when it does it's incredibly annoying.

Blinding

Probably, my current controller has almost all of the rubber missing from the left thumbstick and slow turn on the right, wouldn't surprise me if the face buttons were screwed up as well, though I've gone through three controllers playing Reach and have had about the same inconsistency with assassinations, oh well.

I use Recon Elzar, while clawing. Friends of mine tried to convert me to bumper jumper in Halo 3, I said fuck that.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It's rarely a problem for me either but one accidental assassination is one too many. It's like hitting the flag pole while trying to shoot other people. It rarely happens but when it does it's incredibly annoying.

That's happened to me fairly often lately.

It's definitely a larger problem than I would've thought.

edit: I was talking about both accidental assassinations and shooting the flag pole, just for clarity.

Probably, my current controller has almost all of the rubber missing from the left thumbstick and slow turn on the right, wouldn't surprise me if the face buttons were screwed up as well, though I've gone through three controllers playing Reach and have had about the same inconsistency with assassinations, oh well.

I use Recon Elzar, while clawing. Friends of mine tried to convert me to bumper jumper in Halo 3, I said fuck that.

My man.

On a serious note, three controllers? That's ridiculous.

Although, I'm due for a change in controllers as well.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My guess is laskey gets promoted to captain of the infinity because that captain del rio guy dies. When we got first told about the forward unto dawn.

Except we already know he is "a leader." He's commander of the infinity under Del Rio.

I mean it's possible, just this new series of events leads me to believe that Laskey is the one who dies, or is one of the casualties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom