• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overdoziz

Banned
Wow, the amount of trash talk in MLG is amazing. 1st I got yoinked (I hope it's not even possible anymore in Halo 4), then 2 times betrayed and then they are talking trash, why I'm -1... Are you fucking kidding me? The guy even was -3 and he thinks he can talk shit about my kd?

How stupid are people these days?
Yoinking people is great.

Tawpgun

Maybe get a 16GB USB stick?

It'd be a band aid solution, but I just might do it. Gonna be obnoxious moving all the USB things around though. I have a mic charger and controller charger plugged in at all times. Not to mention a USB device that said it wasnt compatible but is still holding Mirrors Edge on it.

Do you personally know if this works? The 8 gig flash I had said it was wonky and not compatible. Had minor issues with it, but for the most part it got the job done.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, and we also heard there'd be more Reach DLC if Anni sold well. In their own words, Anniversary sold above expectations. I don't see any more Reach DLC.

With everything pointing to a 2 year cycle as standard, I don't see them having the bandwidth to work on both Halo 5 and more 4 DLC at the same time, unless the DLC is heavily outsourced to Certain Affinity. I wish they had done the outsourcing thing for Reach, just let Certain Affinity go wild and drop content on the playerbase every 3 months. Instead we got a repeat of 3 where the first two DLC packs released promptly and kept the playerbase hot, then they just sat on their hands to cross market another game again.
What is this "everything"? While 343 spent time planning this trilogy out, all signs point to their entire studio consumed by shipping Halo 4. With Halo 5, they need to scale up and launch on a new platform to boot. I would not be surprised if they pushed for two years rather than three, but I haven't seen any indication that will be the case.
Don't get me wrong here, but if you can't just press the button instead of holding it, perhaps you deserve that death.
No need to be condescending. In the heat of battle it's quite easy to hold that melee a fraction of a second longer, triggering the assassination. I've only done a couple of them on purpose in MP, all the rest are accidental triggers, and a good percentage of those got me killed. An option to turn them off would be neat. (To be clear, I really like assassinations - in Campaign and Firefight. In MP I never considered the animation and medal enough of a reward to go for them, which may change with Halo 4's incentive system encouraging them.)

What if it is a scattershot tournament?
Flawless.

Seriously, what's the big deal with yoinks? I mean, we used to have someone post here who was proud of the fact that he betrayed teammates who yoinked kills from him... so fucking what?

YOUR TEAM STILL WINS. What difference does it make if you don't get the kill? Does it happen to you multiple times a game? (If it does, I guess that's a problem... but I think for most of us, we're talking a couple of percent of total kills, if that. So what?)

This is a serious question. I simply cannot understand why it makes people so angry.
Likewise. And look at it from their perspective - Yoinks are hilarious. I can see why repeated ones might be considered rude, but they're nothing to rage over.

Louis Wu

What is this "everything"? While 343 spent time planning this trilogy out, all signs point to their entire studio consumed by shipping Halo 4. With Halo 5, they need to scale up and launch on a new platform to boot. I would not be surprised if they pushed for two years rather than three, but I haven't seen any indication that will be the case.
I think Phil Spencer mentioned 'every couple of years' once in an interview.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Do you personally know if this works? The 8 gig flash I had said it was wonky and not compatible. Had minor issues with it, but for the most part it got the job done.

Hmm, not personally. I think SanDisk is who makes the official Xbox 360 branded sticks though. I personally have an HP 8GB flash drive for my 360.

Considering how easy it would be to toggle assassinations and how inconsiquential it would be for them to add that toggle, I can't believe people here are seemingly arguing against a toggle being added. Why question the users ability to simply tap a button when you can hardcode it to suit how they want it to work?

I mean if there are resources to make objective specific animations surely resources exist to program a toggle button

Portugeezer

Gold Member
That would cause graphical glitches. Can't do.

I think they will do it here's why:

• Halo 4 will have join in progress multiplayer. If I don't get CTF I will quit, simple, other people will do the same if no one votes for their game type.
  • If I join in progress to a gametype I have no vote in then that is also no fun.

I am just reminding them so that they don't do a massive fuck up.

heckfu

Banned
Wow, the amount of trash talk in MLG is amazing. 1st I got yoinked (I hope it's not even possible anymore in Halo 4), then 2 times betrayed and then they are talking trash, why I'm -1... Are you fucking kidding me? The guy even was -3 and he thinks he can talk shit about my kd?

How stupid are people these days?

Your tears are the reason I yoink. It's no different in my opinion than team shooting; if you want to take a minute to assassinate someone it's pretty much fair game to try and 'steal' it.

Tawpgun

The headset is £200!, Jesus. I really wanted it but not at that price.

LE Game
LE Console
LE Controller

for me

All those games and you're getting a new console? Teach me that magical budgeting pls.

Hmm, not personally. I think SanDisk is who makes the official Xbox 360 branded sticks though. I personally have an HP 8GB flash drive for my 360.

Review said it works perfect as an Xbox storage device. Thanks for the bargain too, it was really cheap. I ordered it. Gonna be annoying having to have that thing in just to play Halo 4, but whatever.

Akai__

1st... If I ever get in a game with you, know this, if you animate... I'm yoinkin' that shit.

2nd... are you new to the internet?

Well I didn't do it on purpose. And I don't care because of the yoink, I care about the 2 betrayals afterwards, because I should be the one betraying him...

To anser your second question, no I'm not. I know that there are idiots out there, but how stupid do you have to be, to trashtalk, if you are worser then the guy, which you are flaming?

That's logic.

And yeah, yoinking people is not cool and it's not team shooting, because it's a 100% kill.

IHaveIce

Banned
Seriously, what's the big deal with yoinks? I mean, we used to have someone post here who was proud of the fact that he betrayed teammates who yoinked kills from him... so fucking what?

YOUR TEAM STILL WINS. What difference does it make if you don't get the kill? Does it happen to you multiple times a game? (If it does, I guess that's a problem... but I think for most of us, we're talking a couple of percent of total kills, if that. So what?)

This is a serious question. I simply cannot understand why it makes people so angry.

Kill Stealing is not liked to be seen by many. I like to yoink some kills randoms, but wouldn't do it to friends. But I do it because it is dumb to do such a move which takes this much time IMO

Especially this dumb achievement which requires you to pulldown an assassination on someone who got out on armor lock. I did it once and then got yoinked.

I threw my controller on the floor

Tawpgun

Kill Stealing is not liked to be seen by many. I like to yoink some kills randoms, but wouldn't do it to friends.

Especially this dumb achievement which requires you to pulldown an assassination on someone who got out on armor lock. I did it once and then got yoinked.

I threw my controller on the floor

I yoink ESPECIALLY to friends.

For the most, a good K/D ratio is more important than winning.

I do too. I don't know why you should not. Yoinking is one of the funny things, you can do in Reach.

Overdoziz

Banned
People complaining about killstealing are so silly. Should I just look at the dude that you're trying to kill and wait until you've killed him? And really, if you don't want to get yoinked you shouldn't do an assassination in the first place.

There's awful lag in 3, ODST, Reach, and CEA. Where's this idea that Reach is the only one that has it?

I've never experienced campaign lag in Halo 3. I want to say I've gotten a very, very minimal amount in ODST, enough that it wasn't really a problem. In reach, campaign co-op and firefight are unplayable 99% of the time due to the button lag.

Edit: Yoinking is doing people a favor most of the time, gets you out of that silly animation.

People complaining about killstealing are so silly. Should I just look at the dude that you're trying to kill and wait until you've killed him? And really, if you don't want to get yoinked you shouldn't do an assassination in the first place.

Didn't you just complain about how difficult it was to do a normal beat down from behind instead of an assassination?

Ah, I remember that. I didn't put much stock in the phrasing, myself. (Frankie chastised me a while back when I said I expected a two-year cadence.). I'd love to see a three year spacing, but I'm still expecting two. I just haven't seen much indication that a two year is coming, though I wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah I know Fyrewulff keeps saying 2 year dev cycles are coming but I don't think that will happen. I don't see how you can add create a game of this scale with an entire year less of development time.

TCKaos

My man.

On a serious note, three controllers? That's ridiculous.

Although, I'm due for a change in controllers as well.

I need to re-up. The controller that came with my slim is destroyed from slow turn (right is easily 30% of the speed that left is), my Reach controller has slow walk in such a way that I can't even sprint, and most of the controllers I've had since launch are either worn or damaged.

I'll probably be picking up one of those ballin' UNSC controllers.

Overdoziz

Banned
Didn't you just complain about how difficult it was to do a normal beat down from behind instead of an assassination?
No? I said that a handful of items I accidentally did an assassination instead of a normal beat down. I didn't say it was "difficult" to do a normal beat down. When I get an accidental assassination I'm happy when I get yoinked.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'll do it sometimes but I know some of them are also going for achievements or something like this.
In normal matches I'll do it, especially in Swat.. God who is so stupid to do an really long animation while you can be killed with one headshot.

Yeah I'm with you on this, but like you also said about Assassinations, sometimes you don't want to do it.

Slim Hunter ?

Honestly this was the first thing I thought.

heckfu

Banned
No? I said that a handful of items I accidentally did an assassination instead of a normal beat down. I didn't say it was "difficult" to do a normal beat down. When I get an accidental assassination I'm happy when I get yoinked.

Just say the word and I'll yoink you.

And knowing is half the battle
bro

GhaleonEB

Yeah I know Fyrewulff keeps saying 2 year dev cycles are coming but I don't think that will happen. I don't see how you can add create a game of this scale with an entire year less of development time.

Likewise. Especially with the leap to a new platform. If 343 wants to maintain the quality bar - and I believe they do, as Halo 4 is shooting for the stars - I don't see them compressing their dev schedule by a third. Halo 4 is incredibly ambitious, and I don't anticipate they'll aim lower with the rest of the series. You can't do that in two years.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Sadly, people are all about that kill/death ratio. Makes absolutely no sense.
So, its gonna cost me close to $200 bucks in order to play Halo 4.

$100 for the LE (gonna buy the map packs anyway, might as well get the LE)
and
$100 for a 60 gig hard drive with a transfer cable

Fucking great.
I'm guessing the flash drive is the solution you're using, but I may be able to help. A friend of mine had an old elite xbox (I think it's the 120 gb version) that messed up (ethernet port stopped working). Wonder if I can convince him to give up the hard drive.
Some of the most fun I've had in Reach is yoinking friends that I know will get pissed. So good.

People can probably name more stuff, but for me, I'd like to see toggle options for two things in Halo 4: assassinations and hitmarkers.

I've explained assassinations, and I've explained my position on hitmarkers, but at the risk of getting annoying and repeating myself, I'll do it one more time. One of the problems I have with hitmarkers in a Halo game is that they're slightly superfluous for multiplayer. Halo games (AND Halo 4) have such a good feedback system in shields with their popping and flaring that I don't see hitmarkers necessary. But that's more of a nitpick than anything.

My main problem with hitmarkers comes with their inclusion in campaign. Hitmarkers scream such a multiplayer aspect that to bring them into campaign might be detrimental to the campaign experience in that it makes the experience more like multiplayer. I know I've been the only one to bring up this point, so it may be just me being silly (or stupid), and so I can understand why hitmarkers are in there. In campaign, too, Halo has had such a good feedback system (Halo 4 looks to continue this trend too) in that enemies react well to being shot – their shields flare up, they flinch – you know, the works. So even in campaign they're a bit superfluous. It's almost like they're a substitute for better feedback, you know?

Of course, I haven't played the campaign yet, so none of what I brought up may matter, but that's been my experience in other games. And I think I'm the only one who has had any problems with hitmarkers being included, so I guess I'm just crazy. And when looking over the entire game, the inclusion of hitmarkers – however I feel about them – will probably amount to little more than a nitpick anyway.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Likewise. Especially with the leap to a new platform. If 343 wants to maintain the quality bar - and I believe they do, as Halo 4 is shooting for the stars - I don't see them compressing their dev schedule by a third. Halo 4 is incredibly ambitious, and I don't anticipate they'll aim lower with the rest of the series. You can't do that in two years.

It all depends on the 720 launch, if it's really going to hit retail at the end of next year or the year after.

There's won't be a Halo title for launch, for sure, put down GOW4 for that, but you will see Halo 5 the following year at the very least, similar to the 360 window with Gears and Halo.

Heck, if it wasn't for Kinect, I'm also sure we'd be playing Halo 4 as a launch title for the 720 this November.

People can probably name more stuff, but for me, I'd like to see toggle options for two things in Halo 4: assassinations and hitmarkers.

I've explained assassinations, and I've explained my position on hitmarkers, but at the risk of getting annoying and repeating myself, I'll do it one more time. One of the problems I have with hitmarkers in a Halo game is that they're slightly superfluous for multiplayer. Halo games (AND Halo 4) have such a good feedback system in shields with their popping and flaring that I don't see hitmarkers necessary. But that's more of a nitpick than anything.

My main problem with hitmarkers comes with their inclusion in campaign. Hitmarkers scream such a multiplayer aspect that to bring them into campaign might be detrimental to the campaign experience in that it makes the experience more like multiplayer. I know I've been the only one to bring up this point, so it may be just me being silly (or stupid), and so I can understand why hitmarkers are in there. In campaign, too, Halo has had such a good feedback system (Halo 4 looks to continue this trend too) in that enemies react well to being shot – their shields flare up, they flinch – you know, the works. So even in campaign they're a bit superfluous. It's almost like they're a substitute for better feedback, you know?

Of course, I haven't played the campaign yet, so none of what I brought up may matter, but that's been my experience in past games. And I think I'm the only one who has had any problems with hitmarkers being included, so I guess I'm just crazy. And when looking over the entire game, the inclusion of hitmarkers – however I feel about them – will probably be a little more than a nitpick.

I have no problem with hitmarkers at all in multiplayer, especially with Halo 4's netcode still being a mystery.

Its inclusion in the campaign makes sense from a canonical standpoint, but I'll agree that it's superfluous and I'd probably rather not see it. Even CoD doesn't have hitmarkers in the campaign.

Of course, I haven't played the campaign yet, so none of what I brought up may matter, but that's been my experience in past games. And I think I'm the only one who has had any problems with hitmarkers being included, so I guess I'm just crazy. And when looking over the entire game, the inclusion of hitmarkers – however I feel about them – will probably be a little more than a nitpick.

Because some people want to see if they are hitting them instead of directly see or hear if the enemy is reacting to the damage, thats why there are still white words with big letters in the middle of the screen. They surely will get lost and confused.

Akai__

To make it clear, I didn't wanted to make an animated assassination, I just tapped the bumper. And you guys are all doing it yoinks on purpose? I don't know guys, but this is something that only noobs are doing in order to get at least 1 kill.
joking

But on a more sirious note, why would you yoink?

Blueblur1

It all depends on the 720 launch, if it's really going to hit retail at the end of next year or the year after.

There's won't be a Halo title for launch, for sure, put down GOW4 for that, but you will see Halo 5 the following year at the very least, similar to the 360 window with Gears and Halo.

Heck, if it wasn't for Kinect, I'm also sure we'd be playing Halo 4 as a launch title for the 720 this November.
They've been working on Halo 4 for more than 3 years. I very much doubt Halo 5 will be ready for 2014. But 2014 is a perfect year to release Halo 2 Anniversary since in launched in 2004. Halo 5 will likely launch the year after, IMO.

GhaleonEB

With the 360, it went this way:

2005: Launch
2006: Gears of War
2007: Halo 3

So if it follows the previous spacing, that would be a three year cycle. It's what I'm hoping for, really.

################################

Edit: what happened for this weeks Challenge? 50 Rounds of Firefight (which is a LOT of Firefight), for 7,777 cR? Looks like one of Bungie's old ones from launch cycled in while SDCC was in swing. And all the dailies today are for MP. Curses.

heckfu

Banned
To make it clear, I didn't wanted to make an animated assassination, I just tapped the bumper. And you guys are all doing it yoinks on purpose? I don't know guys, but this is something that only noobs are doing in order to get at least 1 kill.
joking

Yes. Absolutely I try everytime to yoink someone's kill.

I do it because not only is it hilarious, but because usually in a game when performing an assassination the person is getting shot. It seems that very rarely do you get afforded enough time to perform the whole assassination without taking some fire from someone else.

Yes. Absolutely I try everytime to yoink someone's kill.

I do it because not only is it hilarious, but because usually in a game when performing an assassination the person is getting shot. It seems that very rarely do you get afforded enough time to perform the whole assassination without taking some fire from someone else.

Please practice safe yoinking.

Watching one of the videos from comic-con, it doesn't appear that you do, but it's off-screen so it's hard to tell exactly.

Also, another thing I noticed that they mentioned: you can no longer zoom in with weapons that don't have a scope. No more binoculars?

Hmmmmm.

Htmarkers on holograms would be quite beneficial to the ability.

A question, can you get hitmarkers on holograms?

Watching one of the videos from comic-con, it doesn't appear that you do, but it's off-screen so it's hard to tell exactly.

Also, another thing I noticed that they mentioned: you can no longer zoom in with weapons that don't have a scope. No more binoculars?

Woorloog

Banned
joking

I sometimes Yoink kills from random people (because i don't care about them) and i Yoink kills from my friend usually as retaliation for something else (but if there's no reason to retaliate, i don't Yoink).
I don't have problem with killstealing really, it is annoying in FFA but that's FFA.

NOOOOOOOOO! Must have binoculars, hate how you cannot zoom with non-scoped weapons in CE/Anniversary...

daedalius

So how many pages should I skip to get past the crying about yoinking and assassinations in general?

What? Noooooo!

Sticky detonator's range just got halved. Reach's grenade launcher was even more fun to use at longer ranges. Pull the trigger, zoom in, and detonate.

Why would you remove that?

You'd think with all those fancy optics in their helmets, they'd have at least 2x magnification as well.

Fracas

#fuckonami

What? Noooooo!

Sticky detonator's range just got halved. Reach's grenade launcher was even more fun to use at longer ranges. Pull the trigger, zoom in, and detonate.

Why would you remove that?

Ramirez

In my perfect world, Halo 2 Anny launches with the 720, although if it's not going to have online functionality, I wish they wouldn't bother.

Overdoziz

Banned
joking

People doing assassinations are wasting everybody's time just so they can swing their e-dong in front of the person they're killing. I'll happily yoink people so we can move on and kill other dudes.

CyReN

H4 Comic-Con Longbow GP

WP_000145.jpg

WP_000143.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom