• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And why would a film not revolve around a comic books universe or multi-verse?
Here's an example: Spiderman 1,2,3. Didn't follow the comics and bombed.
Superman sucked horribly and didn't follow the comics.

Andrew Garfield wanted the reboot to follow the comics origin and did great.
Sure that if things were changed to better the films overall story, I don't see why it shouldn't.
Did you read Ultimate Spider-Man?

Louis Wu

9mEar.jpg
reality_check.jpg

More complicated? LOL. You yield, and then you go. And it's much more quick than a 4-way stop.

This may be true, but just at the base where I work, they've replaced 2 different 2-way stops with roundabouts. WTF. This is not faster for 90% of the people using these intersections. Not to mention you have to slow to like 10-15mph from 30/35 to go through them, even though there's literally nobody going in the perpendicular directions. GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Properly designed on larger traffic areas, roundabouts are good though.

And why wouldn't a film not revolve around a comic books universe or multi-verse?
Took me a sec to unravel what I think is an accidental use of a double negative, but I think I get what you're saying. Sometimes comic history can be very convoluted, or dense or it simply does not work in cinema depending on the style a director is going for.

For example, people would have probably scoffed if Nolan used the Lazarus Pits in his movies to revive Ra's al Ghul. That supernatural element simply does not fit in his more realistic take on the Batman mythos.

Here's a horrible example: Spiderman 1,2,3. Didn't follow the comics and bombed.
Factually incorrect. All 3 Spider-Man films were huge box office successes. Spider-Man 3 is just a very bad movie and the fault doesn't lie with it not sticking closely to the comics.

And like Hypertrooper said, see Ultimate Spider-Man.

Andrew Garfield wanted the reboot to follow the comics origin and did great.
Andrew Garfield is an actor, not a director. The reboot was a success because it's a genuinely great movie. Sticking closely to the source material is the frosting on an already delicious and moist cake.

Sure that if things were changed to better the films overall story, I don't see why it shouldn't.
That's basically what it all boils down to. The comics serve as reference materials, a source of ideas for directors and screenwriters to pull from, unless they are straight up adapting a story like the Lord of the Rings films. Even then, certain segments of the books are might be cut (they were), or certain elements might be changed to accommodate a different format or a modified story (this also happened). Christopher Nolan isn't adapting any specific Batman story, but instead pulling ideas from a ton of sources including Year One, The Long Halloween, No Man's Land, Knightfall and The Dark Knight Returns.

I never said that the Batman films shouldn't try to stay close to the source material, all I was trying to say is that the two continuities are completely separate entities. Nolan's films exist in a vacuum, they're not some sort of parallel Earth to the comics.

Because the number of people who would see a Batman movie if done well is much greater than the number of people that give a fuck about comic book continuity, so tying a film to something as silly as a multi-verse filled with ridiculous and impenetrable history is a needless burden.
Well said.

Yes. Many flaws were made in the films when comparing to the Ultimate Spiderman Comics. Villains were killed in the films but in the Ultimate Spider-Man sent them to prison.
That would be because films are usually one and done. An ongoing comic book series needs to keep reusing a stable of villians.

Took me a sec to unravel what I think is an accidental use of a double negative, but I think I get what you're saying. Sometimes comic history can be very convoluted, or dense or it simply does not work in cinema depending on the style a director is going for.

For example, people would have probably scoffed if Nolan used the Lazarus Pits in his movies to revive Ra's al Ghul. That supernatural element simply does not fit in his more realistic take on the Batman mythos.

Factually incorrect. All 3 Spider-Man films were huge box office successes. Spider-Man 3 is just a very bad movie and the fault doesn't lie with it not sticking closely to the comics.

And like Hypertrooper said, see Ultimate Spider-Man.

Andrew Garfield is an actor, not a director. The reboot was a success because it's a genuinely great movie. Sticking closely to the source material is the frosting on an already delicious and moist cake.

That's basically what it all boils down to. The comics serve as reference materials, a source of ideas for directors and screenwriters to pull from, unless they are straight up adapting a story like the Lord of the Rings films. Even then, certain segments of the books are might be cut (they were), or certain elements might be changed to accommodate a different format or a modified story (this also happened). Christopher Nolan isn't adapting any specific Batman story, but instead pulling ideas from a ton of sources including Year One, The Long Halloween, No Man's Land, Knightfall and The Dark Knight Returns.

I never said that the Batman films shouldn't try to stay close to the source material, all I was trying to say is that the two continuities are completely separate entities. Nolan's films exist in a vacuum, they're not some sort of parallel Earth to the comics.

Well said.
Ahh Thank you for clarifying all this. :)

Talents

Banned
Fixing one problem out of many problems doesn't make Halo 3 mighty. The game would still have nerfed utility weapons, horrible linear aggressive maps, ineffective strafes, rockets with the blast radius of a wimpy fart, and many more problems I don't want to type.

Please, don't let nostalgia blind you. Halo 3 is an awful game.

1338885660125.gif

Ryaaan14

Banned
To anyone who has played Halo 4, what's the word on the ragdolls? Can you interact with them like Halo 3? Or are the unmovable like in Reach?

Why is Infection in Anniversary FFA? There's an entire playlist dedicated to Infection. Why is it appearing elsewhere?

I could understand if it were changed, like BTB Snipers (8v8 instead of 4v4).

Infection isn't even a free-for-all gametype. It's a team of humans against a team of zombies.

wwm0nkey

Why is Infection in Anniversary FFA? There's an entire playlist dedicated to Infection. Why is it appearing elsewhere?

Wait seriously? Gross.

343 PLEASE BRING BACK WEEKLY PLAYLISTS! I never want to see living dead or griffball have their own separate playlists, they should have stayed weekly like in Halo 3.

Again a weekly playlist rotation of Infection, Griffball and Forge Epidemic mini-games would be amazing and not distract from the main playlists.

Caja 117

Anniversary achievements and/or people who only have the anniversary disc and not reach.

Idea for handling living dead and some of the other padding playlists:

Action Sack contains unconventional (but still competitive) gametypes. BOOM! Ball (maybe BLAM! Ball in Halo 4 with Sticky Detonators), Speedflag, stuff like that. Maybe rename it to Competitive Recreation to coincide with the whole War Games renaming scheme thing. Game/map selection layout could be something like this:

Option 1: Traditional competitive games fixed from default settings. Things like Hot Potato or BOOM! Ball.
Option 2: Games relying on modified Megalo-style games. Halo Chess, Speedflag, HaloBall, or Team Hotshot are all valid examples.
Option 3: Trending community gametypes with large fanbases; more often than not this would just be a Grifball slot.

Add a second playlist called Minigames (or if a more Infinity-styled name is required, something like Casual Recreation or Halftime, etc.). Weightings could change frequently, but it would be something like this:

Option 1: Race map (this includes Rocket Race, Rally, and all variations)
Option 2: Traditional minigames (think things like Cat N' Mouse, etc.)
Option 3: Infection. Things like Fat Kid or Zombie Ghosts included.

If it seems like too many playlists not dedicated to hardcore face-murdering, Minigames could be reduced to a weekend playlist with modified weightings each time and then Action Sack could be on weekdays.

Overdoziz

Banned
Halo 3 has its fair share of shortcomings. I died a little inside today when I saw that you only need about 3 bullets from an AR to kill someone with a single beat down and then saw that you need 3 BR bursts for a melee to kill. So bad.

Halo 3 has its fair share of shortcomings. I died a little inside today when I saw that you only need about 3 bullets from an AR to kill someone with a single beat down and then saw that you need 3 BR bursts for a melee to kill. So bad.

6 bullets, dude. Tested it myself back when Halo 3 was around.

I think you just admitted to modding double damage onto your console.

which was bungie's first attempt at the balance between the short range weapons and the mid-range weapons.

I think I'd take that over their next attempt, which was bloom.

After Cairo Station, Halo 2's legendary becomes always easy. Just some gameplay decision are still questionable. (You can call them Jackal Sniper).

Infection isn't even a free-for-all gametype. It's a team of humans against a team of zombies.
Achievements dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom