• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

Besides, hasn't everyone here been a junior once.

7I5dg.gif

I really wanted to try and hit Inheritor before 4, but man, this game really bores me without a party to joke with...

MMM, I still have my Halo 3 Gamefuel and Doritos. Will eat in Honor of Halo 4 on Nov 6th.
I'm pretty sure they'll taste the same as they would've in September of 2007. Which is more disturbing than if they gave you slt food poisoning.

hope lore takes it easy with more juniors for awhile...plywood was the last great junior.
That's not a fair standard to hold anyone to.

Legend says that Ram has never been junior'd.

EDIT: Mutombo'D?

neoism

I have nothing against juniors. The only thing that can affect my opinion about a poster before reading his or her posts is a tag portaying that poster in rather negative light. Though those are rare. And usually i try to avoid reading tags before reading posts.

I normally don't either but this batch has been baad. I didn't post for a year after I got my account lol I had like 300 posts in my first 2 years. :p

Risen

Just realized I had the first post on the last three pages.

Triple kill.

From what we've seen of Thruster Pack, you can't use your weapon during the animation, perhaps Jet Pack will take a similar route.

It might be interesting to see how not being able to use your weapon with any AAs works.

I thought that raising/lowering your weapon during PV would be a nice balance tweak to lessen its rumored strength.

I get that to a point... but man, I'm already taken out of the game for so many sleepy actions. Be it slow shot animations and pacing, melee animations, assassinations, or even abilities and their use.

It feels like this is something that would add more time to already long timed events, and would work to slow interactions down.

How much fun would it be to just stare at each other while we dance around with our armor abilities?

Woorloog

Banned
I normally don't either but this batch has been baad. I didn't post for a year after I got my account lol I had like 300 posts in my first 2 years. :p

I think i had like 300 posts in 2 months... I had sensed the general attitude towards juniors and wanted to get rid of that status, just in case. Also, thread posting priviledges, useful.

Overdoziz

Banned
Reflection saw the biggest change. You could legit get on top of the center structure in Halo 2 on Sanctuary, Jetpack is useless on Hem, and is also useless on Pinnacle since you could already do a grenade jump from the lower bridge to the center with a grenade or just jumping on the overhead strut thingy. I think the map was better off for it, the sniper perch is a lot more dangerous which is always good for the top of a vertical map.
Why do you keep acting like grenade jumping and trick jumping is the same as jetpacking? Jetpacking is easy and incredibly quick. The only down-side is the fact that it's loud, nothing else. With grenade jumping people can both hear you and you're vulnerable by the damage done by the grenade. And then there's the fact that grenade jumps are a lot harder than just simply jetpacking on top of something. Trick jumping makes you a lot more vulnerable because it's even harder to do than grenade jumps and especially jetpacks most of the time and it usually takes much longer.

The jetpack breaks flow even on hemorrhage and Pinnacle. On Hemorrhage it can negate the flow of the bases. You can jetpack from anywhere around the base up to the base and you can fly from the flag stand up to the top floor. On Pinnacle you can jetpack from red Sniper to red tower, from blue sniper straight up to small tower, from the rocket spawn back up to the blue initial spawn, from the OS bridge up to the middle island, from the bottom of red tower straight up to the top floor of red tower and that's probably only a few of the many ways the jetpack can break those maps.

These maps are obviously not the worst offenders but even on those maps the jetpack can have negative effects. I personally feel like Boardwalk is one of the worst offenders. You can completely ignore the layout of the map and you go anywhere you want. Jetpacking right up to the top Sniper area on that map is just ridiculous. Some for jetpacking away from the rocket spawn, up the plasma launcher spawn, jetpacking from anywhere to the boardwalk/bridge area, up into the pancake house or from anywhere directly to a platform above. And simply putting a roof on top of the map won't fix the problem because there's more to the jetpack than just flying straight up in the air the moment you spawn.

It's also a problem of predictability. You know how when there's no jetpack you can - if you're a skilled player - predict the way the enemy will move around that map? That goes completely out of the window because jetpackers can go anywhere on the map barring places that are blocked off by barriers. Let's say you hear a guy who's jetpacking around the corner and you see a red dot that say that the jetpacker is above your current position. You go around the corner and you have to look up the entire Y-axis before being able to see where he is. With no jetpack you know he is on the ground somewhere making it much easier to locate players quickly. The same issue arises when you're getting shot in the back by a jetpacking and you turn around and try to locate him. It can take an incredibly long time to do so because he can be anywhere in the air. It's frustrating more than anything.

And as a Forger I can tell you that the jetpack limits the way you build your map so much that you're better off ignoring them all together. The jetpack is a Forger's biggest enemy and I image the Halo map designers having similar feelings. The jetpack only works (note: is useless) on a very select few maps and it's not worth catering to. Putting a roof on top of a map doesn't mean it's balanced for the jetpack.

You are so wrong on this subject you made even me create a long-ass post about it.

L1NETT

Good work on the Podcast guys, a nice listen.

Picking up Darkness II, been meaning to for a while but will be up for some co-op :)

Elzar I'll try to play 3 with you next time your on.. probbaly won't be able to stand the slowness of it though.:p

Great! Oh, I'll be on reach in about an hour, join me if you want.

Dunno what was up with the netcode today. It was workable the past couple of days.

Dear Louis Wu,

the link to the Mega Blok Forward Unto Dawn set does not work at your site.

Sincerely Hypertrooper.

Ps. You have already fixed it when you read this. So there is no real point for this post.

Can't shoot in Camo.
That's a great idea. But would people still use AC then?

I would love BXR to be an option to come back. There is nothing like getting a double kill and having some randy AR/SMG slut trying to AR/Melee you from behind then they get shut the fuck up with a BXR.

My best kill combo to this day was a double kill being finished up by a dubshot that reloaded me turn around to see someone shooting and coming at me (at P2) and I don't even shoot I just wait for them to come at me and I drop them ridiculously fast with a BXR for the triple. That beat any other kill combo from any other game and that must have been five six years ago...

Gets my Juices going just talking about it. Man I want to dubshot some BK's. Such a skill gap that game had.

In this case 343 can look at matchmaking populations across both Halo 3 and Reach and amongst playlists within Reach. If Reach's overall population is significantly less than Halo 3's was at a similar time in its life-cycle then they know there is a problem with the MP experience.
To be fair you can't compare population numbers that we can see for H3 and Reach because H3's numbers are reported 30 times slower than Reach's leading to inflated numbers due to backlogging.
I think the Jet Pack breaks less maps in Halo 1 than it does in Halo: Reach because a lot of Halo 1 maps had ceilings.

I think Jet Pack on Adrift, which looks like it has a ceiling, won't be nearly as powerful as Jet Pack on Powerhouse.
Funny enough, Powerhouse is one of the only maps on Reach that the Jetpack doesn't have a devastating effect on.
About as much as grenade jumps do. As in, they don't. Prisoner example is terrible because Prisoner is a terrible map even without jetpacks, as me and Devo's adventures in Anniversary Classic have proven.
Just out of curiosity, have you played Prisoner since they fixed the spawns? It was painfully broken before, but now I find it to be an awesome bit of fast paced vertically gameplay that doesn't really exist in the franchise anymore (Talking about the Anni gametype on it specifically.

Look at that massive Anniversary Classic and Halo PC population. Wait, no. Games have to modernize as time goes on.
We both know that even if Anniversary was an awesome 1:1 of CE, it wouldn't have a high population because it requires DLC.
I just don't understand the constant Halo 1 CE multiplayer worship when the game and weapon sandbox was campaign first and multiplayer got leftovers of that work.
Because no matter if you claim multiplayer was an afterthought, or if the game was multiplayer only, it's a better game.
I'll also admit that I've not seen more than 2 minutes of the Forge RTX reveal because it wasn't direct feed footage and I'm not gonna watch the Rooster Teeth guys goof off for an hour so that I can "check it out". Basically to echo Ghaleon's earlier sentiment BTS'/ViDoc's would be great right about now.
Well watch 343's presentation, don't watch the Rooster Teeth guys play the stupidest game of Horse I've ever seen. There was nothing remotely interesting in that game of Horse, or anything that showed off cool stuff about H4 Forge in an interesting way.

Jetpacks are an inherent part of the game. The map's "flow", or pathing, did not originally have a state in which the jetpacks don't exist in the shipping game. They even mentioned making adjustments to Reflection to accomodate jetpack usage by making the ceiling higher and the sniper rifle ledge bigger to make it easier to land on.
Those are both changes made to Ivory Tower to make the jetpack even better on a map that it already would have been very good on, while also destroying important things about the maps in H2 (low ceiling for grenade bouncing and smaller area being harder to hold) that makes the Reach version a camp the sniper spawn area.
But what about King of the Hill? Assault? Territories?
We don't even know if Assault and Territories are in the game. They mentioned CTF, King, and Oddball as returning objective gametypes, but nothing else.

Now, they probably are in the game though.
This.

Same with the 3sk in H1. When people talk about it, they make it seem like EVERYONE could do it 100% of the time.

Pros were lucky to consistantly 5 shot with the pistol, especially against someone with half a strafe.
Ah, how I miss the concept of an actually difference between average and maximum kill time.
Speaking of, I got into Archer because of mastrbiggy and her character is phenomenal there, haha.
Amazing show, so funny.

To be fair you can't compare population numbers that we can see for H3 and Reach because H3's numbers are reported 30 times slower than Reach's leading to inflated numbers due to backlogging.

Oh, I know about that, but 343 has probably dredged up legit numbers for both games. If the numbers for Reach are not up to whatever standard 343 has set, they can start to draw some conclusions about how the MP has been received.

What if you had to hold down the AA button for Camo?

What if you simply couldn't zoom in while using Camo as an AA? That would eliminate a lot of the camping/sniping issues. Especially in 4 where they've said they rebalanced the sniper to be harder than reach, but easier than 3.

This way you can be invis and scramble other radars, but you're literally forced to move around to be effective.

How about you move at incredibly slow speeds with camo on?
Or camo can just be a pick-up again since things like overshield, speed boost and damage boost already come in that form.

Stop... you're going the wrong way... the power up is over there ----->.
Except 343 has apparently decided that camo is an AA, even though many of its problems are solved by making it a powerup, so we all have to try to twist our tortured minds into the shape of a camo AA that doesn't break the game in some way.

We don't even know if Assault and Territories are in the game. They mentioned CTF, King, and Oddball as returning objective gametypes, but nothing else.

Now, they probably are in the game though.
Well then my point still stands on King of the Hill.

And now you've given me worry that Assault and Territories aren't in. :(

willow ve

Oh, I know about that, but 343 has probably dredged up legit numbers for both games. If the numbers for Reach are not up to whatever standard 343 has set, they can start to draw some conclusions about how the MP has been received.

Shouldn't the metric for success in a Halo game be how popular the game is across Xbox Live? Just a quick glance at the Unique Users per week/month should be able to show that Reach fell off the wagon.

With 4 their aim should be to still be a top 3 game at least a full year after launch. I know people will counter this with the standard list of excuses (so much competition, so many fickle players, too much Kinectimals). Who cares? The only metric that should be used is "does Halo dominate the landscape like it used to" ... and to give them wiggle room I say this should be top 3 (maybe Halo 5 or 6 will regain the top spot).

It is just my personal belief that all AA's should be forced into tactical use only.

If you use Camo and it were to take out your shields, that would definitely prevent you from using it and engaging at the wrong moment.

If Promethean Vision didn't allow you to shoot while it's in use, or didn't provide life movement data of enemies you sure as hell would use it more carefully.

If Jetpack merely allowed quicker map movement, and no air assault, being defenseless in the air would again make you use it more carefully.

Thrusters should damage you if you thrust into objects, you need to be more aware of your surroundings.

You get my point. The AA's shown have so little downside to their use as of now that they encourage spamming and use at anytime and anyplace. Make AA's more strategic and punish someone who doesn't use them correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom