• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halo 3 - Vidoc - Et Tu Brute?

Halo 3 - Vidoc Is Quisnam Protero Damno

Halo 3 - Vidoc Cinema Paradiso

Halo: Reach - ViDoc Once More Unto The Breach

Halo: Reach ViDoc Forge World

Setting aside the first Halo 3 one (because 343 did one when it was announced), and the Reach one you want to exclude, Bungie did a lot of great videos talking about their games. I don't intend to belabor this, but I thought what I was talking about was pretty clear: now that Halo 4 is revealed, one of these would be nice.

Setting that request aside, the follow on information and media has been oddly light. Forge revealed! Media? Details? Explanations of new systems....?

I didn't say I wanted to exclude that video. I wish 343 would spill all of the multiplayer beans but they've decided not to. As for the other videos you listed: any idea of how many days they came out before their respective games dropped?

Personally the thing that makes this wait worse than the wait for Reach is the simple fact that while I was waiting for Reach to release, I had a Halo game that was still fun to play on a daily basis. Right now I have to play Reach which is fun less than half the time I play it.

Halo 4 info makes for a good Halo fix that doesn't involve playing Reach.

Tawpgun

Don't bother. Ghaleon already said I'm wrong, so I'm wrong. Would have never thought jetpacks would be controversial next to the likes of AL and Bloom and Evade, but I guess my time would be better spent just claiming people suck at CE next go-round instead of bothering with actual responses.

People focus their attention at one thing at a time.

If you recall people were bitching about Armor Lock like no other. It started getting removed. Not a lot of people played Objective, but those that did were vocal about drop shields. They got removed.
People bitched about evade, it got removed. Though this surprised even me, didn't seem like it had THAT much discontent around it.
And Once the AA's started getting under control people turned their bloom complaints full blast. And we got the TU reduced bloom gametypes.

As of relatively recently, a lot of gameplay complaints have been aimed at the jetpack.

FyreWulff

Ghaleon and Overdoziz gave you actual responses, and you responded to neither. Sure, Ghaleon was a bit overdramatic when he said your opinions are wrong, but latching onto that one thing to ignore his argument entirely is immature in it's own right.

Ghaleon already got a response before that. I've already replied to Overdoziz's post elsewhere when he brought it up before, and he'll probably bring it up again on Blueprint, where I'll have to read it again anyway.

I'm done with the topic. They think jetpack breaks the maps, I don't think it does, and I await the posts in six months complaining that jetpack and thrusters break map flow where we can all do it again snuggled between the posts complaining about BR spread and double melee, and the cycle will begin anew.

As of relatively recently, a lot of gameplay complaints have been aimed at the jetpack.

People should have brought it up while 343 was actively updating Reach then. I'd love to be proven wrong about my fear of Reach already going into autopilot as of the August update, though.

Why would you want to be invisible and be forced to walk at incredibly slow speeds?? You know how frustrating that would be? That's like walking in Team SpLockets while everyone else is running full speed/sprinting.. In the end, that sounds like it'll lead to even more Camo camping
Because it's a decent trade off for wanting to be stealthy? Patience and sneakiness should go hand in hand, if you're frustrated with speed, then don't use it.
I'm not saying its the best answer, but Reach proved that something major has to change with it as an AA. Personally, I'd rather have Invis as a powerup only.
So like the Spy class in Team Fortress 2? I'm ok with that 100%.
Pretty much. :)

Tawpgun

People have been complaining about the jetpack ruining map movement since the early days of Reach. Their complaints were greatly overshadowed by armor lock and bloom complaints though.

My point exactly. The concentration of complaints changes.

By the way, what is with people thinking the thruster is like a jump pack? As far as I know, it is incapable of vertical boosting. It can extend jumps, sure, but go up?

I should have reworded my reply, I was a bit rude. I was running out the door and truncated my post with a one liner that was uncalled for. When I don't have time to elaborate I often fall back on shorthand that doesn't really capture what I was hoping to say.

Well played, Sir. Well played.

claps-s400x374-57545.gif

Personally, I'd rather have Invis as a powerup only.
Pretty much. :)

Agreed :] It should at LEAST be made into a powerup along with OS, DB and SB. If they really want to keep it an AA, they should just have it function similar to Reach, but STILL keep it as a powerup too.

Why can't they co-exist?

Eh, I'd rather get one of each in each pack, y'know?
I actually think that it's important that Halo map packs become "themed" based on map sizes as long as they remain 3 maps per pack, which we already know is the case for at least 3 packs for H4.

Now, this is admittedly based on a small sample of information I've gathered from real life friends, but I think Halo map packs being one of each type of map is a problem with map pack adoption for Halo. Unlike many other games, Halo as a significantly different player count for BTB or regular 4v4, so obviously different maps are required for each. A significant number of players do not regularly play both of those modes. This creates a problem with map packs, as player that primarily plays 4v4 sees the map pack as $10 for the 4v4 maps in the pack. People that I play Halo with outside of GAF are like this, and none of them bought the Noble pack because they saw it as $10 for Anchor 9, which they didn't see as worth it. The same principles applied to the next pack, as they don't play Firefight much, so they saw it as 2 MP maps, and then they never play BTB, so they saw it as $10 for Condemned. The same players bought the Anniversary pack because it included 4 maps that are commonly played on 4v4.

Now, as long as packs stay 3 maps, I think that themed packs will help solve this issue. If one pack is 3 small team maps, people that play that primarily are going to be more inclined to purchase that pack, as it will be a better value to them personally. Same thing applies for BTB. This would hopefully help the DLC issue in MM as well.

The core of the game will be like CE, they said. What happened? :/

Jetpack is straight up hot garbage. I'd rather play against armor lock than jetpack. Honestly.

armor lock is annoying, but jetpack makes it a different game.

The difference is that there's actually kind of a skill gap on the jetpack. There are very few people, in my experience, at least, that use it and use it well. A good portion of the people that use it are the type that just go straight up in the middle of a DMR battle and get "Pull!"'d.

Armor lock is...armor lock.

I actually think that it's important that Halo map packs become "themed" based on map sizes as long as they remain 3 maps per pack, which we already know is the case for at least 3 packs for H4.

Now, this is admittedly based on a small sample of information I've gathered from real life friends, but I think Halo map packs being one of each type of map is a problem with map pack adoption for Halo. Unlike many other games, Halo as a significantly different player count for BTB or regular 4v4, so obviously different maps are required for each. A significant number of players do not regularly play both of those modes. This creates a problem with map packs, as player that primarily plays 4v4 sees the map pack as $10 for the 4v4 maps in the pack. People that I play Halo with outside of GAF are like this, and none of them bought the Noble pack because they saw it as $10 for Anchor 9, which they didn't see as worth it. The same principles applied to the next pack, as they don't play Firefight much, so they saw it as 2 MP maps, and then they never play BTB, so they saw it as $10 for Condemned. The same players bought the Anniversary pack because it included 4 maps that are commonly played on 4v4.

Now, as long as packs stay 3 maps, I think that themed packs will help solve this issue. If one pack is 3 small team maps, people that play that primarily are going to be more inclined to purchase that pack, as it will be a better value to them personally. Same thing applies for BTB. This would hopefully help the DLC issue in MM as well.

The core of the game will be like CE, they said. What happened? :/

That's actually a very good point, I didn't think about it that way. I got the LE, so I'm already getting all three map packs anyway, so I guess to me, personally, it doesn't matter.

There is a downside, though, in the sense that the 4v4 players will see the BTB pack and say, "Oh, this sucks, when is a GOOD map pack coming out?"

JackHerer said:
Playing against a full team of players who are actually good with it and use callouts, bait and switch etc. and generally just exploit the hell out of the jetpack is actually more frustrating than armor lock it just doesn't happen that often so it doesn't get complained about as much.

Yeah, I agree. This is the point I was trying to make.

JackHerer

Playing against a full team of players who are actually good with jetpack and use callouts, bait and switch etc. and generally just exploit the hell out of the jetpack is actually more frustrating than armor lock IMO. It just doesn't happen that often so it doesn't get complained about as much.

Jetpack........................................................................................................................................................................

tumblr_m5jlvydicP1rula7qo2_250.gif
Made me laugh :)

Overdoziz

Banned
Jetpack........................................................................................................................................................................

That's actually a very good point, I didn't think about it that way. I got the LE, so I'm already getting all three map packs anyway, so I guess to me, personally, it doesn't matter.

There is a downside, though, in the sense that the 4v4 players will see the BTB pack and say, "Oh, this sucks, when is a GOOD map pack coming out?"

Yeah but if those players aren't playing BTB, it's not a big deal. The point being that people will be more likely to buy the map packs that coincide with what they commonly play, which theoretically should help the DLC situation in MM.

Sure MS/343 would like everyone to buy all the packs, but that's simply not going to happen, so at least this favors the consumers tastes in the game and should help MM.

B wzy

Neo Member
Jetpack is straight up hot garbage. I'd rather play against armor lock than jetpack. Honestly.

That's pretty harsh. Jet pack ruined many of Reach's maps, but armor lock completely halted gameplay and was extremely over powered. It offered way too many beneficial side effects. I never felt jetpack was overpowered, just broken for specific maps.
Jetpack has been rumored in H4 for awhile, so hopefully the mechanics of it have been drastically altered. The leak must also be old since the shotgun skin looks like the reach placeholder. Although its hard for me to imagine how jet pack and having default sprint will be balanced.

Woorloog

Banned
It was set to SOAD, which was a stark contrast to the dubstep used by MTW in that clip and by a lot of montages today. Times have changed :p

No comment.

Edit: LOL

I just realised, i still do not know what dubstep is. Never listened to it. I do not wear my headphones unless i know what the video is about, so i miss 90% of sound in any video.
Kinda odd...

JackHerer

That's pretty harsh. Jet pack ruined many of Reach's maps, but armor lock completely halted gameplay and was extremely over powered. It offered way too many beneficial side effects. I never felt jetpack was overpowered, just broken for specific maps.
Jetpack has been rumored in H4 for awhile, so hopefully the mechanics of it have been drastically altered. The leak must also be old since the shotgun skin looks like the reach placeholder. Although its hard for me to imagine how jet pack and having default sprint will be balanced.

Thinking of people using Jetpack and Sprint together in H4 is definitely not a great thought. Hopefully Jetpack has been altered. Preferably by removing the ability to shoot while using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom