• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risen

Agreed on all points except that power weapons are supposed to be "easy kills". I know I'm deviating from the Shadow's original argument here--it's fine if this isn't a discussion that folks want to have--but the sniper, the grenade launcher, and even the laser (on certain maps) aren't exactly easy kills. They make quick kills much easier to pull off, but only if the player has the skill necessary to do it.

The rocket launcher should absolutely remain in Halo in its current form (slow traveling projectile capable of large amounts of splash damage on impact), but I would be in favor of filling the power weapon sandbox with more weapons like the sniper or the grenade launcher (both deadly in capable hands; not so deadly in the hands of a novice) and away from "button-press kills" like the hammer or shotgun (or Scorpion tank).

Based on the removal of the GL in Halo 4, I doubt that this is where the sandbox is moving.

I am absolutely all for power weapons (or any weapon) whose effectiveness is dependent on skill... depending on how it fits into the larger suite of weapons.

Yet whether we are talking a "button press" power weapon, or power weapons that become significantly more effective with higher skill sets; they all are intended to be powerful... and are powerful exactly because they can kill "easily". If they don't have the ability to kill easily... they are not power weapons.

Sometimes I feel like this thread is making observations on the complaints on the complaints of the posts of the people who complain

First day on the internet?

TheOddOne

No. Lets post complaints about be people posting complaints of people posting too much on how people are posting about how many posts are about the number of posts.
Lets post complaints about be people posting complaints of people posting too much on how people are posting about how many posts are about the number of posts and feel that this thread is on repeat.

This is an amazing cover:

j4TIPQGFGT0IE.jpg

Source: http://halo.fr/news/halo-4/5981-awakening-the-art-of-halo-4-la-couverture

Seance

Banned
Lets post complaints about be people posting complaints of people posting too much on how people are posting about how many posts are about the number of posts and feel that this thread is on repeat.
Done.
Frankie, put us out of our misery. Ranking system dets? Elites in MP as dlc? Multiplayer confirmed?
Has there actually been any new info since this OT?

u4iX

What I'm noticing with all these old Reach videos and trailers being posted, is the guys and girls at 343 look way cooler, calmer, and more confident in their game than the people in these Reach ViDocs.

GhaleonEB

probably because everyone is actually...you know...working on the game

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Bungie managed to release multiple vidocs for each game while they were working on their games.

343 isn't Bungie, they're doing things differently, etc. But something would be nice. Though, I get the impression they're not happening this time around.

Just last night I was reading back through the three Halo art books. Can't wait to add that baby to the collection.

343 isn't Bungie, they're doing things differently, etc. But something would be nice. Though, I get the impression they're not happening this time around.
It just makes the lack of BTS content in the LE extra saddening, considering we're not even getting the same level of BTS vidocs.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
What I'm noticing with all these old Reach videos and trailers being posted, is the guys and girls at 343 look way cooler, calmer, and more confident in their game than the people in these Reach ViDocs.

Bungie are bigger nerds, confirmed.

Makes me sad that there's really nothing to talk about, as most everything has been talked about to death.

I wish Halo 2 PC had co-op campaign :(

How about this? Released in April, game in September.

Halo 4 ships in November, and it's nearly August. For perspective. :p
Wasn't that video for the Reach beta? No Halo 4 beta; no Halo 4 Carnage Carnivale.

Let's just talk about how awesome Juniors are.
That would certainly reduce everyone's post count.

Btw the art book is available for pre-order at amazon.com for $28.17 or at amazon.co.uk for £26.99.
Thanks for the heads up. Thank you also for posting the link for both the US and UK.

That's 2 thanks in one post! Waypoint doesn't allow you to double thank someone! GAFGold forever!

ZalinKrow

GG's tonight guys. That last game was pretty funny. Some of those Revenant snipes were pretty sweet Karl ;] Just another 420,000 until Inheritorrrrr.

IMO, 343's handling of news and features related to the game, has been less then satisfactory.

Even from their point of view, every piece of game related news has required further clarification on thier part.

From a consumer/fan point of view, I know there is still stuff people here want clarified.

Whether that happens or not is a different story.

The initial game informer MP reveal suggests that perhaps, an alternative way of introducing features could have saved some headaches.

FyreWulff

He's trolling, successfully.

I'm not trolling. I just don't resort to personal digs and insults in lieu of actually explaining my opinion of why I think a particular mechanic isn't breaking a game. How would my posts even be construed as trolling, I'll never know.

Only thing that bugs me about Certain Affinity maps is how loud their environment is. Get close to the waterfall and you better hope that you aren't wearing headphones because that is all you will hear for the next 15 minutes.

Bungie did that on a few maps themselves. The activated base on Snowbound was terrible while wearing headphones. WHRRRRRRRR

Aggrotek

IMO, 343's handling of news and features related to the game, has been less then satisfactory.

Even from their point of view, every piece of game related news has required further clarification on thier part.

From a consumer/fan point of view, I know there is still stuff people here want clarified.

The initial game informer MP reveal suggests that perhaps, an alternative way of introducing features could have saved some headaches.

This is true. And it's from a fan's perspective. If I wasn't a huge fan of the game I'd have no fucking clue what this game was about.

I think part of how much clarification is required is how skeptical we've all become after Reach.

Bungie handled explanation better, no doubt, but still. I don't think it's ALL 343. A good portion of it is us.

GG's tonight guys. That last game was pretty funny. Some of those Revenant snipes were pretty sweet Karl ;] Just another 420,000 until Inheritorrrrr.

So like 2 or 3 days? Considering at this point is where you earn credits out the wazoo (assuming you win), you're basically there already!

Woorloog

Banned
Art of Halo 4?
Hmm, guess i'll order that and the other art book, Great Journey? Something like that.

I have thing for art books. Also envy. I can image scenes, places, things, etc. like often show in art books but i cannot translate those to drawn images...

Tawpgun

I'm not trolling. I just don't resort to personal digs and insults in lieu of actually explaining my opinion of why I think a particular mechanic isn't breaking a game. How would my posts even be construed as trolling, I'll never know.

Bungie did that on a few maps themselves. The activated base on Snowbound was terrible while wearing headphones. WHRRRRRRRR

Real talk, because they're very unpopular opinions, especially around here. So unpopular that many people, including myself, see them as downright wrong and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat factor.

You equated jetpacking to GRENADE jumping.
You say Bungie designed maps with the jetpack in mind. You don't know whether or not they realized that it ruined map flow, but kept it anyway because it was still "fun"
Even if they did build the maps around the jetpack that doesn't excuse the fact that it literally DID ruin map flow. I also don't know what game you've been playing but using the jetpacks speed and noise as a valid balance for what it can gain you is laughable. There are people who jet up into the sky and get ripped to shreds.

They are reffered to as scrubs.

Anyone playing with thumbs uses the jetpack to bypass map pathways, or uses it as a means to get a drop or high ground on people during fights.

GhaleonEB

Wasn't that video for the Reach beta? No Halo 4 beta; no Halo 4 Carnage Carnivale.

Halo 3 - Vidoc - Et Tu Brute?

Halo 3 - Vidoc Is Quisnam Protero Damno

Halo 3 - Vidoc Cinema Paradiso

Halo: Reach - ViDoc Once More Unto The Breach

Halo: Reach ViDoc Forge World

Setting aside the first Halo 3 one (because 343 did one when it was announced), and the Reach one you want to exclude, Bungie did a lot of great videos talking about their games. I don't intend to belabor this, but I thought what I was talking about was pretty clear: now that Halo 4 is revealed, one of these would be nice.

Setting that request aside, the follow on information and media has been oddly light. Forge revealed! Media? Details? Explanations of new systems....?

Makes me sad that there's really nothing to talk about, as most everything has been talked about to death.

It's that part in the relationship where you've heard all of her stories and she's heard all of yours, and she's sick of your mannerisms that used to be cute in the beginning.

Need some spark, fast!

FyreWulff

Real talk, because they're very unpopular opinions, especially around here.

Don't bother. Ghaleon already said I'm wrong, so I'm wrong. Would have never thought jetpacks would be controversial next to the likes of AL and Bloom and Evade, but I guess my time would be better spent just claiming people suck at CE next go-round instead of bothering with actual responses.

ZalinKrow

Actually, while I think of it. Do any of you guys ever hear a really faint "On my X" when you get a kill in Reach? It's not just proximity voice or anything, but I could swear I hear it and it's always the same voice in the same way. It's just reeeaally quiet and no one I ask hears it :p

I've always heard it but keep forgetting to ask on here. I don't think I'm going crazy... :/

Actually, while I think of it. Do any of you guys ever hear a really faint "On my X" when you get a kill in Reach? It's not just proximity voice or anything, but I could swear I hear it and it's always the same voice in the same way. It's just reeeaally quiet and no one I ask hears it :p

I've always heard it but keep forgetting to ask on here. I don't think I'm going crazy... :/

You've never asked me.

You should ask me now.

789shadow

Banned

You might want to get that checked out.

Don't bother. Ghaleon already said I'm wrong, so I'm wrong. Would have never thought jetpacks would be controversial next to the likes of AL and Bloom and Evade, but I guess my time would be better spent just claiming people suck at CE next go-round instead of bothering with actual responses.
Ghaleon and Overdoziz gave you actual responses, and you responded to neither. Sure, Ghaleon was a bit overdramatic when he said your opinions are wrong, but latching onto that one thing to ignore his argument entirely is immature in it's own right.

Edit: Actually you kind of responded to Ghaleon.

GhaleonEB

You are saying an ability that lets you fly anywhere on a map does not alter map flow. It's like arguing armor lock does not interrupt combat; that is literally what it does, that's all it does, that is the purpose of the ability. I think we're so far apart on the topic that there's not a coversation to be had, really.

By all means carry on; I have said my piece on the matter but that does not preclude you from elaborating further in conversation with others.

Ghaleon and Overdoziz gave you actual responses, and you responded to neither. Sure, Ghaleon was a bit overdramatic when he said your opinions are wrong, but latching onto that one thing to ignore his argument entirely is immature in it's own right.

Edit: Actually you responded a little bit to Ghaleon.

I should have reworded my reply, I was a bit rude. I was running out the door and truncated my post with a one liner that was uncalled for. When I don't have time to elaborate I often fall back on shorthand that doesn't really capture what I was hoping to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom