• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyReN

If ever there were going to be a different build shown or new info revealed, it'd be at PAX.

if we don't get new stuff there...I think we're going to be SOL 'til november.

They can show off new stuff like they did at RTX, I really don't think they'll just make a new version of mp for Pax though considering it's their "crunch time" right now.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
http://halo.xbox.com/en-US/career/h...ag=Xenolock#/?game=1086986608&section=Unknown

efkeT.png

ship it

TheOddOne

If ever there were going to be a different build shown or new info revealed, it'd be at PAX.

if we don't get new stuff there...I think we're going to be SOL 'til november.
I doubt it very much, seeing as 343 is in the last stretch of development. E3 build will probably still be the one that is shown.

People said:
Lack of innovation.
I was thinking about the comments on how Halo 4 is not bringing the innovation compared to previous games. I have come around on it and based on what has been shown, I have to agree to some extent. My opinion of course could change when I finally get my hands on the finished copy, so this it is based on the very bare info we have gotten so far.

From what we have seen, everything seems to be more of an evolution then revolution. Take for example the Forge “reveal” panel, while they are nice additions, there is a lack of real big feature compared to Reach’s Forge. It then felt like a huge step, while it may have not delivered on all of its promises; it was and is still something to behold.

Not to undermine it though, an evolution can sometimes be better than a revolution. Go back to the basics, see what was cut unnecessarily and rebuild/reshape core grievances. Still however, keeping it on the safe side is also a difficult line to walk. Much of what we have seen on know quantities feels like they are keeping it on the safe side, except multiplayer (which feels that is borrows a bit too much from other shooters on the market today).

Makes me wonder how much of the 360 is actually limiting the game itself in terms of non-game features (like the social and creative features). Bungie pushed it hard with Halo 3, ODST and Reach. While there were some trade-offs, like the often criticized resolution, what those games brought in features was astonishing and is arguably the most well developed suite of features.

Halo 3 and ODST biggest features were saving gameplay films, Forge and file sharing – all major additions that were unheard of for console games (Most games had one or two of those features, not all of them). Even the features within those additions were fantastic. Reach took some steps backwards with some of those features, but Active Roster and Forge additions were major.

Getting back to the point about the 360 actually limiting it. I wonder how much the lack of standard HDD and the size of disk space has bottlenecked the development of Halo 4. All those features fill up space pretty fast, they are not small stuff and can’t be left out. I wonder if the innovation in those features is being held back by outdated hardware. I highly doubt that 343 designers don’t have more ambitious plans, but are holding it back because of technical limitations.

You could argue that 343 is just trying to get the base game and features right, before adding more stuff. Admirable, getting everything a major polish on functionality.

Then there is Microsoft itself, who themselves lack the foresight to look into emerging technologies. I often get the impression that they are more the type of “we need something to fill out publisher quota” and “Ship it, nobody will notice that”. It is exaggerated, but there is some truth to it all. I know there are limits, but even the more reasonable advancement have been shot down by them.

Enough being cynical for now, the game still sounds and looks awesome though. The true innovative thing that has come out the game is the introduction of Spartan Ops, it feels like a major upgrade from Firefight. The bump in resolution is also very welcome, the framerate doesn’t seem to have taken a hit and it looks really crisp and clean. The campaign footage has been mind-blowing and glad to see the story moving forward.

Summary: I overanalyze stuff.

Fotos

Is the super jackpot for Reach still going on? because I've played 22 games of super slayer and i haven't got it yet.

I just bought a new copy of Halo 2 from Amazon for $20.

The copy I have (which is the same one I used to stay online back in April and May of 2010) wouldn't load some of the campaign missions when I tested it out.

Also, that forced vertical split in widescreen is awful. Looks like my brother and I will be doing our legendary run in 4:3 like we just did with CE. It has its charms, but I can't wait to play the 360 games so we can LAN in our own screens in (almost) HD.

We're playing Halo: CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, then Halo Wars, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo: Reach, all Legendary co-op. I need to get an extra copy of Halo 3: ODST. My brother hasn't played any of them because he joined the USMC in May 2007 (he's out now). Prior to that, we played quite a bit of Halo 2 XBL together, to the point where I bought him his own Xbox and gamertag. Neither of us had any interest in completing the campaign in those days.

Does H2V have co-operative campaign in any respect?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Could someone help me buy a domain name? I have no idea what I'm doing, hah. PM please!

I don't know if it's a
halo
honor rule thing or something, but... you guys know you can skip 99% of all Sniper Alley encounters right? It's crazy easy on Outskirts; you can just roofhop all the way to Hotel Zanzibar, and on Delta Halo you just take the mountainside.

I don't know if it's a
halo
honor rule thing or something, but... you guys know you can skip 99% of all Sniper Alley encounters right? It's crazy easy on Outskirts; you can just roofhop all the way to Hotel Zanzibar, and on Delta Halo you just take the mountainside.
I do not think that the Jackal Encounters are terrible. They are just annoying if the checkpoint is bad. But I had no real problems.

I don't remember it being that bad. The first hangar on Cairo station gave me a lot more trouble.

1. The quicker you learn to noob combo the better.

2. Swap your plasma pistol continuously with one on the floor to "stockpile ammo" in sections you need to. This technique enables you plenty of ammo to noob combo the Elites from a distance.

3. Time plasma grenades for infiltration spawns to take out enemies before they overwhelm you.

4. Try to never ever melee Elites on legendary.

Stick to those rules and you are golden for Cairo station.

I wonder if Halo 4 will get AI driving right.

Given the age of the current xbox 360 I highly doubt you'll see major advancements in AI friendly or enemy with Halo 4.

Sure we're in for some changes to AI with the new enemy class etc to keep things fresh and shine but the console is at it's processing limit.

I think we'll have to wait until next generation for improved AI beyond simple scripting. It's too processing intensive. Bungie had some engineers talking about such things years ago and they pretty much confirmed the AI technology has progressed so far but the hardware limits them and the allocation they receive compared to say graphics or audio or physics is limiting at best.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Totally not
Chakas. Because he is Guilty Spark. And if it were Riser, would Guilty Spark not react completely different in the Terminals? :)
Greg Bear trollin us with dis Cryptic Sh*t! "YUPlaynUS Bear?!"
But really, it has to be one of those two main ancient humans, unless there's another ancient human that wasn't mentioned or overlooked?
FUUU My Head Hurts... :)

Slaker117

It may be that as the most recent game, it's simply the most prominent in my mind, but I swear the friendly AI in Reach was the worst it has been since CE.

It's the shotgun as a starting weapon.

Weird. For some reason I thought we already knew that from something. Can't remember what though.

blamite

Woah hey what's going on there?

A lot of those frames have shotguns in them... Hopefully that doesn't mean what we all think it means. That does look like a pretty old build, after all, note the AA meter is a bar instead of a circle and the shotgun looks like the Reach model that showed up in the RvB videos rather than the new version we've seen concept art of.

Why are they keeping the reticle flare on the sniper in Halo 4? Made no sense in Reach, makes even less in Halo 4. Fuck me, anything terrible they can pilfer from Reach they'll jam in H4 but they ditch the Grenade Launcher? Why?

blamite

Why are they keeping the reticle flare on the sniper in Halo 4? Made no sense in Reach, makes even less in Halo 4. Fuck me, anything terrible they can pilfer from Reach they'll jam in H4 but they ditch the Grenade Launcher? Why?
Doesn't that just illustrate the sniper's firing rate though? I guess I can see it being annoying if you don't feel you need it, but it doesn't harm your ability to use the gun in any practical way.

Of course it makes sense stop making such an issue over something that does not effect you in the slightest.

The reticle bloom now is for shot pacing to tell you when you can fire again its just and indicator and a useful one at that.

GhaleonEB

Weren't we supposed to get something by the 29th?
Also why haven't they released that "trailer" thing with the Billy West voice over online?

If you mean the theater trailer, often content released in movie theaters have agreements in place with theaters to keep them exclusive for a time. This was alluded to by Ellis on the 27th, when it released. It will land online down the road a bit.

Doesn't that just illustrate the sniper's firing rate though? I guess I can see it being annoying if you don't feel you need it, but it doesn't harm your ability to use the gun in any practical way.

It's not even that I 'feel' I don't need it; I don't need it. Neither does anybody else. Did people really stutter mid-blain unsure whether they could fire again or not in the previous Halo's? It's a petty visual distraction that's annoying and completely unnecessary.

Of course it makes sense stop making such an issue over something that does not effect you in the slightest.

The reticle bloom now is for shot pacing to tell you when you can fire again its just and indicator and a useful one at that.

Who are you to tell me what 'effects' me or not? And I'm not making 'such an issue', merely voicing my opinion on the matter without equivocation. Making such an issue is 10 pages on changes to a Jackal head 'that does not effect you in the slightest'.

Who are you to tell me what 'effects' me or not? And I'm not making 'such an issue', merely voicing my opinion on the matter without equivocation. Making such an issue is 10 pages on changes to a Jackal head 'that does not effect you in the slightest'.

I have no problem with the jackal head but that is worlds apart because its actually a large alteration to one of the series longest running enemies and much like the changes to the grunts its so different from what was previously established.

The reticle bloom you complained about is nothing but a tiny visual cue, what negative effect could a visual clue possibly have on you for you to be so strongly against it?

You say you do not need it that's fine i bet no one here will, I'm sure many of the casual crowd will however.

Halo 4 from the very first footage seems to be making the game more and more accessible to people, from taking cues from call of duty to making all the weapon reticles react better when your firing it allows players to know what's going on much more.

Its such a non issue i don't see why it needs to be discussed/complained about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom