• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blissful

Neo Member
I don't really see the point of a Doubles playlist at launch considering that Adrift and Haven are the smaller maps in the game. Perhaps down the road when more maps are available and specific doubles *shudders* forge maps have been made.

Also, about Ranked/Social split. It appears we are getting a "you can only see it" ranked system or none at all, so I don't see the point to a split, just ads needless fragmentation to the game. If that is indeed the ranking system that ends up in the final game, all playlists can be "ranked".

I'd be pretty disappointed if they didn't bring back doubles. I always enjoyed switching from 4v4 to 2v2 when I didn't have people on to play with.

In regards to the playlist split, I just don't want to see the same split they had in reach. It really ruined everything in the game and really spread the population. Not to mention that the Arena was the only ranked gametype in the game!

I know you guys probably see me talk about ranks everytime I make a post, but I honestly believe that a solid ranking system is what makes Halo online (or any game) really enjoyable. I understand that there were people who abused the system, but Bungie was not proactive in banning those people and didnt really engage much with the community like 343 has.

Akai__

OT, but should I get Deus Ex and Batman Arkham City? My local Gamestop has them very cheap and I have a gift card left.

I never saw Deus Ex gameplay, but I heared it is pretty good. And for Batman, I played the 1st game and I liked it.

I would like to hear your thoughts. :)

DD-11

I hate most of the gametypes in objective, but CTF is my favourite mode. I wish they would just have Team Slayer, Slayer, CTF and a custom game browser and that's it.

There are too many playlists in Halo, and it spreads out the community too much, not to mention that most of the other gametypes are variations or not all that interesting.

Risen

He's not saying people don't understand whether they need to capture or just defend flags, he's saying that players don't know when they should go on the offense for a flag cap or just stay in the back defending their base. I sort of agree with him. I mean, if you have a flag cap there's not that much incentive to go for another one. Trying to get another cap only puts you at risk if the other team pushing through and capping. This becomes more apparent the more caps you have.

I certainly agree with his points on 1-Flag. Just make it so you can capture multiple flags in a round so people have a reason to push for the flag straight from the beginning. As it is right now 1-Flag is just agonizing.

Having players move at default speed with an objective definitely needs to happen in Halo 4, especially now that everyone has sprint. Either that or flag juggling should always be on. I doubt 343 will go down that road as it's not exactly newcomer friendly.

I tried listening through... just couldn't. Not that he didn't have some type of reasoning for his opinion... he did, and that's refreshing... but some of it just doesn't jive for me. He mentions a counter argument for "not understanding" and then brushes it aside. Skill gap... the "lack of understanding" of knowing when to cap, when to defend, how to do either... is purely one of skill gap, and it functions to better the game type. At lower levels... the quagmire of play is going to be evident as you will have both teams having no idea of when/where/how to do things... just like in other lists, yes, even Team Slayer.

Additionally... skill is a component in the holding pat and not pushing for further flag caps, on more than one level. You say a mouthful when you say there's not much incentive to go for flag caps... literally, the only time a skilled objective player would think this, is at the very end of the game. Early... with good skill equivalent match making, that is a recipe for a loss. Caps can happen in bunches with skilled team and no lead is safe. The worst thing you can due is try to hold off and play defense with a one cap lead. Giving up half a map is a recipe to be put on spawn and get capped on multiple times... again... with equal match making.

His points on neutral objectives revolve around skill as well. The scenarios he brings up only happen with unskilled objective players/teams. This goes even to his popularity of the list... though some of what he says is certainly true: too many game types with too many variants, and kids not wanting to suffer from unlimited slayer with uneven matchmaking. Those problems are easily fixed by paring down the list and ensuring better MM... even with low populations and longer search times if needed.

In the end... highly skilled, team oriented players LOVE objective because it places a priority on team work, understanding, and awareness of nuances in the game in order to win... especially with even match making. There's probably an argument to be made on current gaming culture and what the masses want... they don't want this. They don't want difficult games with high skill gaps. They want easy, approachable games where they can showcase their 1337 skills in a more mindless social setting. Even many of the "good players" suffer from the same culture... for many, the only "good game" is one in which the other team drops Neg 50 Bombs (copyright infringement). The instant they get pushed... they hate it.

On the flag juggling... I think I'd rather have flag juggling in with reduced movement speed, even with sprint default - precisely because it places an emphasis on team work in order to score... which goes to the heart of objective. That's a place where good teams are separated from poor teams. Having to cover a flag back for a score and still have the ability to hold position separates the men from the boys. Allowing default movement lessens the time a team has to have control, and makes it easier. With good match making, particularly at higher levels... this is a bad thing IMO. LOL I think it would be MORE newcomer friendly to allow default speed as a result.

u4iX

Will the Assault/CTF/KotH gametypes vary, or will they stick to the pure gametype (i.e. Crazy King, Neutral Flag vs. 2-Flag, 1-Bomb, etc.)?

In my own opinion, I think the "pure" gametypes are always more enjoyable. The metagame, even with people going in solo, has a chance to develop and evolve throughout matchmaking. So, for that reason, I would stick to the original CTF, Oddball, KotH, and Assault variants.

Recarpo

OT, but should I get Deus Ex and Batman Arkham City? My local Gamestop has them very cheap and I have a gift card left.

I never saw Deus Ex gameplay, but I heared it is pretty good. And for Batman, I played the 1st game and I liked it.

Arkham City is fantastic and Deus Ex was one of my favorite games last year. Can't go wrong with both.

Onyx is Roger Clemens.

Makes sense.

iualyzCQgjyDI.png

He's not saying people don't understand whether they need to capture or just defend flags, he's saying that players don't know when they should go on the offense for a flag cap or just stay in the back defending their base. I sort of agree with him. I mean, if you have a flag cap there's not that much incentive to go for another one. Trying to get another cap only puts you at risk if the other team pushing through and capping. This becomes more apparent the more caps you have.

I certainly agree with his points on 1-Flag. Just make it so you can capture multiple flags in a round so people have a reason to push for the flag straight from the beginning. As it is right now 1-Flag is just agonizing.

Having players move at default speed with an objective definitely needs to happen in Halo 4, especially now that everyone has sprint. Either that or flag juggling should always be on. I doubt 343 will go down that road as it's not exactly newcomer friendly.

But that's the beauty of the gametype, it fosters dynamic encounters that change the paradigms mid-game. 'Emergent gameplay' as Frankie would say. Sure you can cap one and sit on it but if the teams are remotely similar in skill this is a risky strategy. CTF games can turn on a knife edge. You can be one up, defend, find all of your team down and then find yourself the wrong side of back to back caps. 2009 Final Boss would try this passive strat and lose more often than not. Also, five flag on smaller maps ala Onslaught really shine the gametype in its greatest light; so many crazy comebacks where a team would be down 3 or 4 caps then cap five in a row to win. 5 flag on Countdown was pretty good for that as well. I agree with the rest of your post.

L1NETT

They were my GOTY in 2011. I loved them both. Currently doing my DE HR playthrough on hard and am loving it. Granted the boss fights are poor, but the rest of the game is great.

ohgodwhy.jpg

I have enough frustration with players voting Hemo Team Snipes and the like... I don't need this frustration in my life.

FFA
Team Slayer
Team Objective
Team Snipers
Team Swat
Big Team Battle

Action Sack
Griffball
Zombies

/done

Then let playlists evolve from there, but ever so slightly.

This is decent but you have to think of the user experience.

You need Rumble Pit for the loners and people who enjoy FFA.

You need Doubles, its a Halo Classic. And many times you find yourself only with one other person.

You need Multi-Team for when you get 3 and its been in Halo long enough to be Halo Classic. Plus casuals can love the fun crazy environment.

You need Team Slayer for when you have 4. Or "Infinity Slayer" in H4's case. So dumb but whatever. CoD fans need a home amirite?

If Objective is going to continue to be 5 thats fine.

You'll need 6v6 Squad Slayer for when you go above Objective size but aren't ready to hit up BTB.

Then you can have BTB 8 on 8. So only 7v7 is left out and at that point going into BTB wont be a huge deal because you have the majority of your party ready and the 6 players can usually find another one or two at that point. Chances are someone will have someone to get with them.

Well also need a Super Slayer which should be something like a DMR/AR default Mercenaries playlist. With limited bonuses powerups and power weapons. This mix will let casuals and compettive players enjoy the playlist when they have nobody on safe from donging parties but still placed on MMade teams. Cause not everyone likes FFA. A kind of middle ground safe haven.

So you have

Rumble
Doubles
Multi
Infinity Slayer
Super Slayer
Objective
Squad
BTB

as Core. Thats 9. Then a MLG competitive 4v4 barebones playlist would fit perfectly in between the gap of Objective and 4v4 TEAMS actually wanting to play together that the Mercenaries No-Teams Super Slayer playlist doesn't fulfilland that the Infinity so much random crap playlist doesnt fulfull. If MLG doesn't pick up 4 than make a Team Hardcore again. Most of Core should be ranked. Besides Infinity Slayer, Multi, BTB and Rumble Which should be dropin dropout players.

You have a weekly revolving of SWAT/Snipes/Living Dead/Armory/Melee/3Ball/Race/So On for fresh content all the time that doesn't get stale.

Objective voting shall be paged like this Random Flag gametype/Random Bomb gametype/Random third between Ball/Hill on map, none of above will repeat the above options but randomized again on a next randomly chosen map. Two screens, if you don't like a gametype on the first map you'll have to play the second map with a chosen gametype.

u4iX

FINAL PLAYLIST HOPPER DREAMS ON LAUNCH

"Core" Hoppers
Lone Wolves
Team Doubles
Team Slayer
Team Objective
Team Hardcore
Big Team Battle
Mosh Pit

"Weekend Bonus" Hoppers
Action Sack
Griffball
Zombies
Team Snipers
Team Swat
MLG, IPL, etc

TEAM OBJECTIVE SPECIFICATIONS

Reduce vote time to 3 seconds, allow for 3 rounds of voting and 2 vetos.

Round 1
Map 1 - CTF
Map 1 - Oddball
Map 2 - Oddball
Veto

Round 2
Map 3 - CTF
Map 3 - KotH
Map 4 - KotH
Veto

Round 3
Map 5 - Assualt
Map 5 - Assault
Map 6 - CTF

MOSH PIT SPECIFICATIONS
4v4 and FFA gametypes
Includes bonus weekend hopper gametypes:
Zombies
Griffball
Action Sack gametypes
Indcludes all Team Objective and Team Slayer variants (VIP, Stockpile, etc)
Gametype appearances all totally randomized

Round 1
Map 1 - Juggernaut (FFA)
Map 2 - Stockpile (4v4)
Map 3 - VIP (4v4)
Veto

Round 2
Map 4 - Zombies
Map 5 - Griffball
Map 6 - Power Slayer

6 MONTHS POST RELEASE
Segment Infinity Slayer, Team Slayer, and a "Barebones Slayer"

ZalinKrow

Well, it's finally happened. I'm an Inheritor now.

jO66vMFLnXa.jpg

^ I couldn't find any decent pictures of fat crows :/ This one has some humour though :p

Still carries more meaning than a 50. You couldn't even lose a 50 if you stopped playing. And again, what is a 50? What is a 43? Percentile placements are much more meaningful.

What would really be neat is if the ranking system reflected your ranking AND trueskill confidence. That way people would try to bolster their rank and confidence by playing more ranked games.
I wasn't saying that percentile placements aren't meaningful, I completely agree with you there; the entire population could conceivably reach 50 while only 5% could reach onyx by virtue of the system. What I was saying is that the stunted population in arena doesn't offer much hope for a game on the upper echelon of the skill distribution whereas you might easily find a highly competitive game at level 50 in a well populated playlist.

Put another way, the "stock" of the arena playlist may not be up to par with that of say, Team Slayer in its prime.

Akai__

I thought Ram was talking about Arkham City as per Hyper's post...

I was the one who asked, not Hyper. :p

And thanks guys for the answers, I will think about it. Maybe I will find something better, who knows.

Oh, so Hyper is actually Croatian, thought he was German. Do you know Tony Kukoc, Hyper?

:lol

I don't know him personal, but I know Mirko CroCop Filipovoc. He was born in the same village as my father and we talked a little.

Still carries more meaning than a 50. You couldn't even lose a 50 if you stopped playing. And again, what is a 50? What is a 43? Percentile placements are much more meaningful.

What would really be neat is if the ranking system reflected your ranking AND trueskill confidence. That way people would try to bolster their rank and confidence by playing more ranked games.
Agreed. Regardless of if you show players a rank by division or a number, the placement should be based on percentile. It's much more accurate in telling a player where he or she actually stands against the rest of the players.
I'd be pretty disappointed if they didn't bring back doubles. I always enjoyed switching from 4v4 to 2v2 when I didn't have people on to play with.

In regards to the playlist split, I just don't want to see the same split they had in reach. It really ruined everything in the game and really spread the population. Not to mention that the Arena was the only ranked gametype in the game!

I know you guys probably see me talk about ranks everytime I make a post, but I honestly believe that a solid ranking system is what makes Halo online (or any game) really enjoyable. I understand that there were people who abused the system, but Bungie was not proactive in banning those people and didnt really engage much with the community like 343 has.
I assume there will be a Doubles playlist at launch, but I was just saying that at launch I don't really see the point based on the maps we will have at launch.

I think we can all agree that Reach's playlists are a fragmentation mess, but assuming that at best we are getting a ranking system that only you can see, what is the point to having what will surely be two very similar Team Slayer playlists where one you can only see your rank and in another you can't? You could just do it in one.

By having as few of playlists as possible, you increase the ability to implement party restrictions in all playlists, get solid trueskill matches, and match up with people that have DLC once that comes out.
6 MONTHS POST RELEASE
Segment Infinity Slayer, Team Slayer, and a "Barebones Slayer"

Good list until I read this. Why?

u4iX

Hexic HD for GOTY.

Good list until I read this. Why?

Only because I see some changes being made. The demand for those playlists made the most sense for me, but it was basically a change clause.

I guess it can just read as "6 months post release, stuff changes a bit based on feedback."

Hexic HD for GOTY.

That game was so 2005. You know it's all about the broken/easy-as-shit sequel right?

<---all achievements in both. U MAD?

H4 better have its own version of StarJewelled or I'm cancelling my pre-order.

EDIT:

I'm surprised there hasn't been an adaptation for mobile... or maybe there has?

Available for free on Zune devices :) Pretty darn good port.

I haven't played Batman so I'd automatically say Deus Ex but still, Deus ex is an amazing game. Easily my GOTY of 2012. The gameplay is great, the story as awesome if you're into cyber punk and I thought the levels were very well designed. The only bad thing about the game is the boss fights but you can kinda skip those if you upgrade the typhoon (you'll learn about that in the game ;)).

I haven't played Batman so I'd automatically say Deus Ex but still, Deus ex is an amazing game. Easily my GOTY of 2012. The gameplay is great, the story as awesome if you're into cyber punk and I thought the levels were very well designed. The only bad thing about the game is the boss fights but you can kinda skip those if you upgrade the typhoon (you'll learn about that in the game ;)).

AC all the way, but expect a less focused, sometimes 'messy' game.

Deus ex=Blerg! (my official review).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom