• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadders

Most of Europe's PR and Publishing companies are based in London, Earl's Court is a beautiful part of the world with great transport links, Eurogamer has been growing massively from nothing a couple of years ago to the UK's biggest show.

I know the developer sessions they did last year went down a storm with industry folks too.

Personally, I just think it makes more sense for Europe's biggest show to be in London.

IHaveIce

Banned
You were there last year too? I don't know anymore whether there was any information about anniversary being at Gamescom. Was pretty awesome and the line wasn't that long.

Yeah I was. I think there wasn't, I remember I sent Bs Angel a message just to know if I could play it, the day before.

And I agree the line was short but it was totally confusing if you were in line for Gears of War 3 or Anniversary lol I played 2 matches.

I understand, but their hands are probably tied until a certain date (if they aren't going I mean). Saying it too early would damage the future relationship between MS & the organisers due to lost ticket interest.
probably this, I can live with it, I already have my tickets and everything, but it was nice when Reach was there, Bungie folks there, you could talk with them and they signed your stuff. :(

But I understand somehow that Microsoft isn't there, they don't have much to show. But Nintendo is really strange, I mean they don't want to advertise their new console? They let Ubisoft do all the work?

Yeah I was. I think there wasn't, I remember I sent Bs Angel a message just to know if I could play it, the day before.

And I agree the line was short but it was totally confusing if you were in line for Gears of War 3 or Anniversary lol I played 2 matches.

Oh yeah, that was pretty funny. me and my friend where standing in the wrong line at the beginning so it wasn't such a big deal but some other guys who were standing next to us in the GoW3 line actually wanted to stand in the Halo line. So they actually just realized they were standing in the wrong line when they were asked to enter the the boot. Luckily for them, they were allowed to directly enter the Halo boot but because of that, my friend and I had to wait longer cause we were the next ones to enter :p

kylej

Banned
What is walshy? On asylum?

Yeah, you can hide behind the bottom corner of car(bine).

Dunno who put the yellow text on this pic but I drew an arrow in red where it is.

sanctu10.png

Always bet on Batman.

This actually reminds me, I've always wanted to see a "modern weapon's effectiveness against Halo tech" sort of analysis. You'd think that current conventional weapons would be the same against shields and stuff, but if we did a book-style "realistic" comparison it'd be awesome seeing Spartans tearing through infantry and vehicles with pretty much no effort, barely losing any shielding from conventional kinetic weapons, etc.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If Refuge doesn't get into matchmaking in the near future, I will rage harder than shadow ever could.
I imagine it's far down the list of priorities for 343, if it's even on the list at all. Most randoms in matchmaking would just be confused by the change. And Halo 4 comes out in 98 days, so it barely even matters.

BTW, what happened to the Brutes after the Halo 3 events? I only know they are still in war against the Elites but I dont know if 343 mentioned them in the novels.

Woorloog

Banned
This actually reminds me, I've always wanted to see a "modern weapon's effectiveness against Halo tech" sort of analysis. You'd think that current conventional weapons would be the same against shields and stuff, but if we did a book-style "realistic" comparison it'd be awesome seeing Spartans tearing through infantry and vehicles with pretty much no effort, barely losing any shielding from conventional kinetic weapons, etc.

What did some GAFer note about Halo when we talked about scifi in general in some thread... something like: UNSC's equipment is ridiculous but they're doing okay against the Covenant because the Covies are even more idiotic, with (for example) aircraft moving so slow you can jump atop one easily.

Seriously, very little in Halo's world makes sense.
The assault rifle for example. 7.62mm caliber. There's a reason "intermediate" rounds were developed. If i recall correctly, M14 had ridiculous recoil when fired full auto.

What did some GAFer note about Halo when we talked about scifi in general in some thread... something like: UNSC's equipment is ridiculous but they're doing okay against the Covenant because the Covies are even more idiotic, with (for example) aircraft moving so slow you can jump atop one easily.

Seriously, very little in Halo's world makes sense.
The assault rifle for example. 7.62mm caliber. There's a reason "intermediate" rounds were developed. If i recall correctly, M14 had ridiculous recoil when fired full auto.

This in part is due to most of the non-human species riding one big adaptive carnival of stupid as far as their technology goes though. It's been established that the Covenant relies almost 99% on modified/meddled-with Forerunner technology or reverse-engineered relics, and they're actually using them wrong, since humanity was meant to "inherit" it all. They had to cut corners in a lot of places to get half of the stuff to operate properly for them; in Fall of Reach, when Cortana hijacks a Covenant ship, she modifies the plasma torpedo cannon thing on it to switch from their "lobbing slow globby projectiles" function to a deadly beam that almost instantly reaches their target in a vacuum. Halsey's journal also mentions that, for all intents and purposes, half of their weapons shouldn't work--triggers aren't tied to firing mechanisms and the like and operate on some kind of hardware that humanity can't even begin to understand yet. If humanity had access to even half of this stuff they would have outright destroyed the Covenant way before 2553. It's the zealotry and sticking to their traditional "don't try experimenting with this virtually boundless tech, just keep it set to stun otherwise the Great Journey will leave you behind!" mindset that left them so ridiculously incompetent.

EDIT: As for slow-moving aircraft, that could potentially be argued as a game mechanic designed to make fighting Covenant ships and the like a little more plausible for the player; when we've seen them in live-action stuff, Banshees move way faster than anything we've seen in the games and they're already nearing overpowered-fast status in Reach. A possible justification for this is that since we're playing as Spartans (or ODSTs which at least have to have some biophysical augmentations), we're seeing everything at a slower pace than what it really is; for all we know the Marines watching us could be seeing everything unfold around them at a way faster pace.

Slaker117

BTW, what happened to the Brutes after the Halo 3 events? I only know they are still in war against the Elites but I dont know if 343 mentioned them in the novels.

They are mentioned briefly in the novels. They've been in pretty rough shape, fighting against and generally losing to elites and at the same time having conflicts among themselves. Some packs remained loyal to the elites they served under. That's pretty much all we know.

Woorloog

Banned
This in part is due to most of the non-human species riding one big adaptive carnival of stupid as far as their technology goes though. It's been established that the Covenant relies almost 99% on modified/meddled-with Forerunner technology or reverse-engineered relics, and they're actually using them wrong, since humanity was meant to "inherit" it all. They had to cut corners in a lot of places to get half of the stuff to operate properly for them; in Fall of Reach, when Cortana hijacks a Covenant ship, she modifies the plasma torpedo cannon thing on it to switch from their "lobbing slow globby projectiles" function to a deadly beam that almost instantly reaches their target in a vacuum. Halsey's journal also mentions that, for all intents and purposes, half of their weapons shouldn't work--triggers aren't tied to firing mechanisms and the like and operate on some kind of hardware that humanity can't even begin to understand yet. If humanity had access to even half of this stuff they would have outright destroyed the Covenant way before 2553. It's the zealotry and sticking to their traditional "don't try experimenting with this virtually boundless tech, just keep it set to stun otherwise the Great Journey will leave you behind!" mindset that left them so ridiculously incompetent.

EDIT: As for slow-moving aircraft, that could potentially be argued as a game mechanic designed to make fighting Covenant ships and the like a little more plausible for the player; when we've seen them in live-action stuff, Banshees move way faster than anything we've seen in the games and they're already nearing overpowered-fast status in Reach. A possible justification for this is that since we're playing as Spartans (or ODSTs which at least have to have some biophysical augmentations), we're seeing everything at a slower pace than what it really is; for all we know the Marines watching us could be seeing everything unfold around them at a way faster pace

For future reference, i know all this. I've read all Halo fiction, no need to reiterate it.

Obviously the actual answer is simply stupid, if not bad, writing. Idiot Ball is so shitty trope, why do writers insist on using it.
In-universe explanations still fall short of actually explaining many things though. IMO anyway, the Prophets are allowed to tinker with the tech. And many of them are not that religious, so why not make more radical use of that tech? Acceptance should not be an issue, just tell the lesser castes "god gave us vision" or some shit like that.
Proper answer to my wondering is still bad writing...

I'm actually more baffled by stupid humans than the Covenant's stupidity. Even smaller human spacecraft are portayed as having ability to cross interplanetary distances withing hours or days at very least. Such accelerations (multiple gees, more like tens of gees) mean humanity could use their ships as kinectic weapons, weapons with even more power than their weapons have... Costly, but when fighting for survival, cost is a moot point. Or should be.
Hell, they wouldn't have to be even kinetic weapons, engines work as weapons just as well.

Games portay the weapon ranges and vehicle speeds and et cetera absolutely wrong compared to written and visual fiction.

Also, ODSTs don't have bioaugmentations.

I'm never going to be able to get the final five achievements in Hexic HD, which is going to forever besmirch my near 100% completion. I wish I'd never played the damn game. :p
the final FIVE? What the shit are you missing that's so hard other than the Poo-bah? You know how to set up a grid right?

Enfinit

I finally registered... only to realize you must be using the same forum ReadyUpLive uses.

Meaning for some reason, the post box when making a new post is blocked out, I cant type anything there because it doesn't exist. Firefox is the only browser unaffected.

The people over at RUL are great, and I have fun talking to and playing with them, however the layout of that site gives me a headache. It's like I'm staring at my old AOL homepage.

Just wait until 2.0...

peWN4.png

Wow, that looks freaking awesome! RUL, take notes please.

CyReN

Heads up we have no real beef with RUL, we just disagree on how competitive community is looked at (along with assets wanted by them). They do solid content from their recent interviews on Forward Unto Dawn with the crew to Halo 4 roundup news.

For future reference, i know all this. I've read all Halo fiction, no need to reiterate it.

Obviously the actual answer is simply stupid, if not bad, writing. Idiot Ball is so shitty trope, why do writers insist on using it.

Also, ODSTs don't have bioaugmentations.

I think the best use of the Villain Ball I've ever seen was in Halo 3, actually. One of the terminals mentions that if a Gravemind feels legitimately threatened, it'll send all available forces at the threat in hopes of eliminating them. Whether that's a biological thing or not is unknown, but it justifies the Flood's invasion on the Ark. Think about it. If the Gravemind didn't have that limitation, it could have easily just taken over Earth while the bulk of the UNSC's forces were out at Installation 00, and the Arbiter would have come back to a graveyard.

ODSTs receive slight treatments, I think. Nothing as crazy as IIs or even IIIs, but they are given some minor drugs to improve their combat prowess.

u4iX

Heads up we have no real beef with RUL, we just disagree on how competitive community is looked at (along with assets wanted by them). They do solid content from their recent interviews on Forward Unto Dawn with the crew to Halo 4 roundup news.

No Ray, we talked about this. Remember the letter we wrote to them?

Dear ReadyUpLive,

We hate your stinking guts. You make us vomit. You are scummm between our toes.

Love,

Alfalfa

Works Cited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Bvtl5ro3A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom