• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
I don't think auto-pickup is bad, it was that way in CE. By the time Reach came around, there were too many things assigned to that universal use button; sometimes I'd find myself juggling weapons trying to get to a health pack, it was ridiculous.

What I find problematic about auto-pickup here is that without flag dropping you can potentially find yourself in a situation accidentally picking it up and royally screwing yourself trying to defend.

It may be a problem- I also think it can be fixed w/ an update if it proves to be one. I'm still okay w/ the experiment. No change would be far worse in my opinion.

They'll still play objective to inflate their kd. The only difference is instead of sometimes picking up the flag like in previous games, they will NEVER pick upthe flag.

See how this is a bad change now?

I wonder if the changes will make it easier to cap against boosters like that though. Don't know though. If some noob can pull off a cap w/ the faster speed against some asshats not caring about the objective- I think it'll be a terrific thing.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
If they are trying to get players into objective with these changes but after awhile they simply quit because they never like going for it then they shouldn't be there. Then we will have people that start learning to go for the objective that might play more because they end up liking it.

Sorry if my posts seem a bit confusing, I need to work on my wording a bit more.

np, felt like you and i were going back and forth over auto pickup but missing each others points :p

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
No one cares. Stop trying to be some video game forum hero.

Actually,he has a point. The dude is acting like he's speaking for all fans, he's not.

Most people probably DON'T want Halo 2, just a very small vocal minority that's more than likely blinded by nostalgia. There's nothing wrong with airing frustrations of not getting what you expected, but don't hide behind an entire fanbase with YOUR opinions/desires.

But stockpile is essentially a different game mode (not a very good one).

The reason why I'm personally aggravated is because instead of trying to fix (doesn't need fixing) the default CTF variant someone decided to shit on it. We already have this shit problem in Reach where we have 94,000 variations of Slayer, why the HELL do we need another version of CTF?

What was wrong with the original CTF? Why are we fixing things that aren't broken? Why can't I drop the flag? Why do I automatically pick up the flag?

????

There Not trying to Fix anything There just adding Variety Some people get bored Playing the same thing over and over again Tweaking things slightly just Adds new Elements to the game.

wwm0nkey

No one cares. Stop trying to be some video game forum hero.

Dude people are allowed to say what they want to say, he was just offering his opinion on what Dopey said which I happen to agree with since Dopey is NOT representative of the entire Halo fanbase and neither are we, we are nothing but a small community of a much larger one regardless of what some people here may or may not think.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
They'll still play objective to inflate their kd. The only difference is instead of sometimes picking up the flag like in previous games, they will NEVER pick upthe flag.

See how this is a bad change now?

Everyone will be camping their flag spawn know the flag carriers will be easy kills :>

Dude people are allowed to say what they want to say, he was just offering his opinion on what Dopey said which I happen to agree with since Dopey is NOT representative of the entire Halo fanbase and neither are we, we are nothing but a small community of a much larger one regardless of what some people here may or may not think.

Back about 12 years ago, I was the only halo/xbox fan on GAF, anyways

I can handle your hate- I feed off it

Well you get the points equivalent of 10 kills for a flag capture.
I don't care, and neither do the kids who go into CTF games to troll and pad their k/d. And no one will care when they've unlocked most if not all content a year down the line. The reward should be inherent, not measurable in terms of armour unlocks.

Getting to, grabbing, and carrying the flag should all involve interesting risk decisions where skillful play and quick thinking are rewarded with victory itself. I have yet to read a compelling explanation of why those decisions needed to be constrained.

But if you walked that flag all the way over to the base but didn't got killed and a teammate caps in your place.

That's a feelsbadman.

Wolves never die.

You have a valid complaint, but I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. The point was that big points for the objective will further the incentive to play the objective for those that don't want to win the gametype for some reason.
I don't care, and neither do the kids who go into CTF games to troll and pad their k/d. And no one will care when they've unlocked most if not all content a year down the line. The reward should be inherent, not measurable in terms of armour unlocks.

Getting to, grabbing, and carrying the flag should all involve interesting risk decisions where skillful play and quick thinking are rewarded with victory itself. I have yet to read a compelling explanation of why those decisions needed to be constrained.
The reward is inherit, you try to capture the flag to win the game, same as it's always been.

Karl2177

Fuck that shit. Let him vent his own frustration. I'll call anyone out who suggests they know what the fanbase wants. I like Halo 4 but I'm never going to play my opinion as being more than my own.

Hydra my friend, this is what my comment on Twitter was about last night. I never got to reply since I was busy until I fell asleep.

But it's pointless to walk outside in a tornado. It'll be easier for you and the ragenado to just let it pass by. Your slurping (right now for lack of a humorous yet good term) is just causing more irritation than calming like I know your intentions are. And for the record, I would love if you acknowledged the perspective that they are holding and defend it with something other than "You don't know yet".

Don't we already know that the video is about story telling and fiction?
I thought that is what it said in the Bulletin.

Edit: yep don't get your hopes up for a multiplayer ViDOC.
"If you like brand new behind-the-scenes videos, especially ones that focus on storytelling, you should go."

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Wolves never die.

You have a valid complaint, but I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. The point was that big points for the objective will further the incentive to play the objective for those that don't want to win the gametype for some reason.
I have to apologize for: "but didn't got killed"

Due to lack of sleep.

The reward is inherit, you try to capture the flag to win the game, same as it's always been.
Except that the very act of capturing the flag is streamlined and less interesting, because the range of actions available to the carrier and his team is narrower. Those inherent rewards of playing well, juggling the flag, making good decisions about when to grab it, when to drop it, when to pick it back up, when to sneak the long way or when to run direct... all of those rewards are diminished, and with them the incentive to play flag carrier, and with that the success of CTF as a gametype.

10 min vidoc!?? Awesome, hopefully its not just a stupid community round up thing and is actually a proper vidoc. When is it likely it would go up on the internet? Any Halogaffers going to the panel?

Writing with a mobile phone makes long write-up impossible. When we heard the changes of CTF, we had known GAF is getting a meltdown. Let me say one thing: The matches I played are intense. With showing where the flag is etc, the game is kinda forcing you to play together with your team mates. The only thing I miss is to drop the flag because at some moments I know I am going to die but I still want to try to take someone down. The flagnum has too much bloom to hurt some seriously with it.
The best way to experience the changes is to play them. I think the most people will be able to have a lot of fun.

Btw I want to kiss the 343i guy who put the Thruster Pack in the game. It is like someone thought: This is for you Hyper. Just for you.

jet pack looks virtually the same as reach but with a faster depletion. anyone at PAX able to elaborate?
Mastrbiggy and I still hate it.

I think the technical explanation for these changes is that "they are rad"

No need to worry, Halo fans
Yeah.

"It's so much fun this way. So, so fun. Everyone in the office is having fun. No, we can't show you the fun. Or even talk about it. But I'm sure someone, somewhere will capture the fun off-screen at some point and you can draw your own conclusions, unless they're unfavourable conclusions, in which case you'll just have to trust us when we say we're right and you're wrong. Fun fun fun."

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
for those playing at PAX, can we get some detailed impressions of the more worrisome and less seen AAs? things like jetpack, camo, autosentry, and regen? direct comparisons to previous games (reach/halo 3) would also be appreciated. thanks!

EDIT: thanks Hyper, i'm sure you'll expand on your jetpack halo 4 hate later. :)

TheOddOne

Writing with a mobile phone makes long write-up impossible. When we heard the changes of CTF, we had known GAF is getting a meltdown. Let me say one thing: The matches I played are intense. With showing where the flag is etc, the game is kinda forcing you to play together with your team mates. The only thing I miss is to drop the flag because at some moments I know I am going to die but I still want to try to take someone down. The flagnum has too much bloom to hurt some seriously with it.
The best way to experience the changes is to play them. I think the most people will be able to have a lot of fun.

Btw I want to kiss the 343i guy who put the Thruster Pack in the game. It is like someone thought: This is for you Hyper. Just for you.
Did they say that this is the mainline CTF mode? Will there be a more classic mode?

JackHerer

What's up with the Binary Rifle's reticle? It looks huge when unscoped in that vid and when scoped there is none. Is it just really easy to hit with so no reticle needed? Also, 1sk is dumb. Another example of blatantly dumbing the game down.

I also seem to remember them saying that there will be one weapon that functions like nothing we've ever seen in a Halo title before. Where is that weapon? All the new weapons are clones of previously existing ones except maybe the bolt rifle.

Maybe the Prom Heavy Weapon we've seen glimpses of will be unique somehow.

Blueblur1

Halo 4 would be better served by having 343 formally request feedback from folks like Arnie, Shake and Havok. They're excellent at giving very detailed thought out feedback; something that more HaloGAFers should do. It worries me what feedback they're actually getting and from whom. Right now, aside base player traits and terrible maps, Reach is look like the better game.

TheOddOne

Halo 4 would be better served by having 343 formally request feedback from folks like Arnie, Shake and Havok. They're excellent at giving very detailed thought out feedback; something that more HaloGAFers should do. It worries me what feedback they're actually getting and from whom. Right now, aside base player traits and terrible maps, Reach is look like the better game.
Nope, the faster speed and weapons feel and sound better in 4 so far.

Kuroyume

Banned

Isn't that common sense? I think even Dopey knows that. Why do people have to keep bringing up this point that there's a big Halo fanbase and that we represent only one part of it? It's not a goddamn revelation. WE KNOW ALREADY. Stop bringing this up. If Dopey says that fans have been waiting for Halo to return to more classic roots he doesn't have to specify who the hell he's referring to. He shouldn't have to spell it out.

The reason why Dopey's post makes sense is because many of us have been vocal about many things but more often then not it's getting ignored. Who exactly asked for the flag carrier to automatically pick up the flag and be unable to drop it? Who? I have never seen someone ask for that. GAF, other forums, YouTube... Nowhere. In fact many of us have been asking for flag throwing to return. How do they determine who to listen to? And who asked for Forge to be the same old shit with some new lighting and magnets instead of terrain manipulation/etc? Because those people deserve a smack on the back of their heads.

Outside the return of the DMR, Carbine, Beam Rifle, it just feels like they've ignored at least our requests.

Bsigg12

Assuming "weak points" are in vehicles again; it would appear the weak spot on Warthogs is the back since they stacked fuel cans back there now.

I do think vehicles have weak points but the cans are not that point for the hog. Its a hydrogen based powerplant meaning it runs on water. Those cans are water and, you know, water won't explode when shot.

Blueblur1

Nope, the faster speed and weapons feel and sound better in 4 so far.

Hey, I quantified it by specifically mentioned base player traits. And the weapons also feel awesome in Reach so that one is a non-issue for me.

Whoa, hey, what, come on, huh, let's not get crazy here.

You tell me which of the two games' gametypes are in line with previous games? Which game has gametypes that function the same way they do in previous Halo games? Right now, it's Reach.

ReggieHmm.gif

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I do think vehicles have weak points but the cans are not that point for the hog. Its a hydrogen based powerplant meaning it runs on water. Those cans are water and, you know, water won't explode when shot.

The cans only make sense as a weak point since they are "new" in the design. I'm going to stick with my assumption and assume canon is not being followed here.

The reason why Dopey's post makes sense is because many of us have been vocal about many things but more often then not it's getting ignored. Who exactly asked for the flag carrier to automatically pick up the flag and be unable to drop it? Who? I have never seen someone ask for that. GAF, other forums, YouTube... Nowhere. In fact many of us have been asking for flag throwing to return. How do they determine who to listen to?
It's their game, not every decision made was derived from what the community (at large) has been asking for. People don't know what they want; they know what they liked. Nostalgia is fine, but if devs were to listen to communities 100% of the time, we'd still be at PONG.

And who asked for Forge to be the same old shit with some new lighting and magnets instead of terrain manipulation/etc? Because those people deserve a smack on the back of their heads.
That was never feasible.

Top Bottom