• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Raide

LOL not discounting this at ALL. The ability to hunt kids in prior games for flag beat downs had very little to do with a person not having a marker. It had everything to do with a poor match and highly skilled kids getting bored and playing with their food.

Bad kids don't "deserve" getting held on and they won't "deserve" it any more in H4 than they did previously.

Point being, whatever else they've done, based on the videos thus far, they've created an environment that is much more conducive to objective holding.

This is completely ironic given the justification for getting rid of a 1-50 skill based ranking system a la H2 and 3.

Well at least they are 50% of the way to actually getting players to play the Objective in CTF and not just running around in TDM.

Ramirez

Objective holding could be solved in one fell swoop by making the win bonus larger the less time it takes you to win. Reach rewards you for dragging the match out as long as possible, completely backwards.

Overdoziz

Banned
Objective holding could be solved in one fell swoop by making the win bonus larger the less time it takes you to win. Reach rewards you for dragging the match out as long as possible, completely backwards.
Can't get my unfrigginbelievables that way though.
Pass.

The only way to stop objective holding from happening is making it so people get matched up with players from around their skill level.

Portugeezer

Does the carrier waypoint constantly update the carriers position or is it like every 5 seconds (which would be best IMO)? Can't watch footage right now to check.

Risen

No... that would be only for those that place "points" over the experience. Kids that objective hold don't do it so they can get more "points" so that they can get that next social rank or unlock some wiz bang armor.

Better skill matching though... different story. Two highly skilled teams matching looks very different than when one is far superior. I can emphatically say that I've rarely, if ever, been held on by a team that is at my teams skill level, at least not for long enough that it could be onerous.

Ramirez

The only way to stop objective holding from happening is making it so people get matched up with players from around their skill level.

Every time I play with GAFFers who moan about mismatched games, the one time we do finally get matched evenly and get smoked, all I hear is moaning about how fat the kids are. Can't have it both ways!

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member
Can't get my unfrigginbelievables that way though.
Pass.

Unfrigs probably do not exist in Halo 4....... They went the way of the Mark V

Risen

Unfrigs probably do not exist in Halo 4....... They went the way of the Mark V

I don't know, but if I can get one with ONLY flag beat downs, I'm betting the same number of kills can be had with a pistol that has unlimited ammo, regular speed movement, and a one hit flag beat down.

Come to think of it, every one of my Unfriggenbelievables came from Team Objective... that's a problem.

senador

Banned
Different terminology- same difference, my point was that it's crazy how much fluff is being crammed in, which is causing stuff to be left out.

Flatulator - typically pre order dlc is on the disk but requires a download to unlock, so it's still taking up disk space, and it's still taking up ram.

No, not the same. Physical space on disc vs runtime memory. I believe they were out of runtime memory allowed for armor to be able to include anymore. They are limited to the Xbox's 512mb of RAM minus a bit for other stuff. They most likely have a budget amount for armor. So "trading in" something else wouldn't have mattered. This would mean they can't add more via DLC later.

I think they should have omitted that part til later but oh well. I'm glad they ditched Mk V to get another armor set in. I like to save the Chief swag for campaign plays. Keep it unique.

Every time I play with GAFFers who moan about mismatched games, the one time we do finally get matched evenly and get smoked, all I hear is moaning about how fat the kids are. Can't have it both ways!

My friends in Gears do this shit all the time

We'll win like 6 in a row, then get our asses kicked by Super-Gears-Clanx420x69 or whatever

"Yeah, these kids have never touched a vagina. They spend waaay too much time on this game."

Overdoziz

Banned
Well Team Objective in Reach (or any playlist outside of MLG) simply isn't fun to play competitively. AAs (on spawn), bad maps, bad gametype settings, bloom and sprint just make vanilla and TU reach play terrible competitively. I only play TO to relax and rack up a bunch of kills for fun. In MLG I actually enjoy getting matched up with good players because there's none of the crap that I just listed.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Seriously, go into Super Slayer, get smoked.

"This kids are so fat, let's go back to TO."

Never fails.

I've been there before. It's why I like to stick to MLG if I want to play against good kids. I'm more familiar with the maps and settings. Whenever I play good kids in anything else, I usually get dominated because they know how to break Uncaged lol

Risen

Seriously, go into Super Slayer, get smoked.

"This kids are so fat, let's go back to TO."

Never fails.

I have never once said that and laugh when I've heard it. Those same folks quit when pushed and aren't interested in good matching as much as slapping kids around without trying.

I want good matches above all else, particularly when playing with a very good team.

That's not to say it's not fun slapping kids around mindlessly at times.

getting smoked is still a mismatched game, just in the other direction

Ramirez

I have never once said that and laugh when I've heard it. Those same folks quit when pushed and aren't interested in good matching as much as slapping kids around without trying.

I want good matches above all else, particularly when playing with a very good team.

Risen, I only carry you in doubles.

When I say smoked, I mean 15-20 kills, not the 50-5 lashings that most of GAF hands out daily.

BigShow36

I wouldn't mind being forced to use the pistol with the flag if it didn't have massive bloom. Didn't we already establish that bloom is absolutely terrible for Halo games?

Ramirez

Countdown says otherwise.

comeatmebro.gif

Team Sword & Shotgun games don't count!

Does the bloom on the pistol function like Reach's bloom? I don't think anyone has ever confirmed it. It's like full bloom by the 3rd shot, pretty ridiculous if it is Reach type bloom...

Risen, I only carry you in doubles.

When I say smoked, I mean 15-20 kills, not the 50-5 lashings that most of GAF hands out daily.
I still wouldn't call that a very evenly matched game though. 20 kills is a steak afterall. I don't think people would complain as much if they lost by like <5 kills

ok maybe they would, but they would have less reason to

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member

It could be that someone on the other team had a really good game or they ended up with all power weapons. Honestly the only games in Reach I felt that I was evenly matched up was in Arena, everything else is a crap shoot which is probably by design.

Risen

Team Sword & Shotgun games don't count!

So what you're saying is that when the other team has power weapons your stats don't count.

Neg 12 is hard to overcome in dubskis sir.

I still wouldn't call that a very evenly matched game though. 20 kills is a steak afterall. I don't think people would complain as much if they lost by like <5 kills

You know you can have very uneven scores in very evenly matched games right?

Ramirez

You get 8 guys, all with K/Ds in Reach of about 1.8-2.0, you're still going to get games where one team loses by 20 at times just because of how the game is designed. My regular launch crew for example struggled against good people who abused Jetpack, there's really no way to convey that in a matching system. "Ok, don't match these guys against 4 jetpackers, it will end badly, find match, go!" lol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Most of my losses have come from playing against people outside of the country or California because they always give the damn Cali kids host.

I remember so many of those ranked TS games in Halo 2 coming right down to the wire, 49-49, and then you hear GAME OVER, and your first thought is "oh shit, who died!? Did we lose!?" and that score pops up. You're either thrilled or "FUUUUUUUUUCK, I'll never get my 16/25/32!".

I can't remember too many of those in Reach. Maybe it's my limited time playing the game. Or maybe because rank doesn't matter outside Arena.

Trey

I wouldn't mind being forced to use the pistol with the flag if it didn't have massive bloom. Didn't we already establish that bloom is absolutely terrible for Halo games?

343 doesn't want the flag carrier to be on par with an opponent in a 1 on 1 situation. I agree that bloom isn't a way to handle it, though.

You know you can have very uneven scores in very evenly matched games right?
That's true. I don't find it happening very often in Reach though.

You get 8 guys, all we K/Ds in Reach of about 1.8-2.0, you're still going to get games where one team loses by 20 at times just because of how the game is designed. My regular launch crew for example struggled against good people who abused Jetpack, there's really no way to convey that in a matching system. "Ok, don't match these guys against 4 jetpackers, it will end badly, find match, go!" lol
true also. I guess I'd say that I complain a lot more about the mechanics in Reach than the actual matching up itself. I feel more cheated when people jetpack everywhere than when I get out-DMR'd, for example.

Just to clarify I'm posting from my phone, im never going to spell out all my posts 100% live with it. :p - consistent terminology is not needed and a pain in the ass to type, my end point is the same - halo 4 has so much fluff taking up space that the limited space argument is just silly.

Firstly, this is an internet forum. Words and their usage are your key communications tool ("ram" harder to type than "space" or "memory"?). Why not make the most of them and avoid clarification later?

Secondly, one could argue that the distinction between not enough space on disk (in which case it's a poor excuse), and other considerations on the runtime side that may preclude certain features or content from running while permitting others, is an important one. One case implies poor decision making and questionable content decisions and (at the risk of SLRPing a bit) the other allows the possibility that they just couldn't figure out a way to squeeze out the necessary performance in time for the deadline.

Especially when having a technical discussion, it's usually a best practice to have consistent terminology as a rule-of-thumb. Otherwise, you can end up with some retarded circular arguments.

Personally, I'd say that a "space" argument is stupid (we agree). However, there is room for a "resources" argument. All goes back to that terminology thingamabob.

Most likely scenario, they ran out of Bandwidth ;)

BigShow36

343i didn't get the memo.

Removes bloom from Reach.
Puts it back in Halo 4.

Scumbag Developer.

343 doesn't want the flag carrier to be on par with an opponent in a 1 on 1 situation. I agree that bloom isn't a way to handle it, though.

Yeah, a waypoint above your head and a shallow-clip pistol totally is comparable to someone with a DMR, BR, LR, Rockets, Sniper, etc.
Need bloom to even it out.

Assumes people care about win bonus more than they do donging on noobs.

A fatal assumption that Bungie/343 are often guilty of, too.

WJD

Best thing about the bulletin?

EVA looking fiiiine. None of that Reach rubbish.
082712_ctf_exile_02.jpg

No, not the same. Physical space on disc vs runtime memory. I believe they were out of runtime memory allowed for armor to be able to include anymore. They are limited to the Xbox's 512mb of RAM minus a bit for other stuff. They most likely have a budget amount for armor. So "trading in" something else wouldn't have mattered. This would mean they can't add more via DLC later.

I think they should have omitted that part til later but oh well. I'm glad they ditched Mk V to get another armor set in. I like to save the Chief swag for campaign plays. Keep it unique.

For the sake of discussion its the same. Physical space or runtime memory being the bottleneck is not what im concerned about, im concerned about the decisions that go into deciding what is worth the limited memory resource.

Does that make sense?

How they do it on the back end is not rocket science, or even worth talking about. Quite simply if memory, any type of memory is full, taking something out will allow you to put something else in. Thats the case whether we talk about disk memory or RAM memory. The only difference is, even if something can fit on disk, it may not fit into RAM, and I didnt really want to talk about the technical nitty gritty, because its not necessary, but we dont know how they have defined they're RAM budgets, and those budgets can be changed.

Do they have different budgets for skins/ pieces/ textures/ animations? Or lump them into one bucket? We don't know, but either way it doesn't matter, if its all in one bucket its easy to see where taking one thing out leaves space for something else. If there are defined boundaries for each aesthetic type - compromise can be met - want more armour? Simply give a higher budget to the armour pieces and a lower budget to one of the other sections. I am oversimplifing, but we don't know how they handle that stuff, and ultimately it doesn't matter. As I said, different terminology - same difference.

What I do think is interesting is the decisions they took in deciding what was worth keeping in and removing.

Firstly, this is an internet forum. Words and their usage are your key communications tool ("ram" harder to type than "space" or "memory"?). Why not make the most of them and avoid clarification later?

Secondly, one could argue that the distinction between not enough space on disk (in which case it's a poor excuse), and other considerations on the runtime side that may preclude certain features or content from running while permitting others, is an important one. One case implies poor decision making and questionable content decisions and (at the risk of SLRPing a bit) the other allows the possibility that they just couldn't figure out a way to squeeze out the necessary performance in time for the deadline.

Especially when having a technical discussion, it's usually a best practice to have consistent terminology as a rule-of-thumb. Otherwise, you can end up with some retarded circular arguments.

Personally, I'd say that a "space" argument is stupid (we agree). However, there is room for a "resources" argument. All goes back to that terminology thingamabob.

Most likely scenario, they ran out of Bandwidth ;)

Its a gaming forum, I come here to relax, not talk technical mumbo jumbo, im not going to spend ages typing a quick message when no meaning is lost. Either way as I think I clarified above, whatever caused the bottleneck doesnt matter, for the sake of discussion they simply ran out of space, whether that was disk space or RAM memory doesnt excuse or change anything. I understand what your getting at, sure they may have ran out of time to optimize theyre assets to take advantage of the available space, but why would that space being RAM or Disk space matter? Either way its pointless to be so specific when 'space' handles it. Since you agree I have no idea what the rest of the point of your post is.

Most of my losses have come from playing against people outside of the country or California because they always give the damn Cali kids host.
Welcome to my almost-every-game-ever. I'm in the middle and usually thousands of miles from the host no matter what. Strangely enough, certain regions have such a ridiculous difference in gameplay from my end, I can often pin down the host location. The worst is Pacific Northwest, anywhere in Canada, and New England/Florida. AKA a huge portion of the population in North America. I remember telling Juices (I think) a couple weeks ago that east coast hosts might as well be the UK because they play very similarly on my end.

I don't know, but if I can get one with ONLY flag beat downs, I'm betting the same number of kills can be had with a pistol that has unlimited ammo, regular speed movement, and a one hit flag beat down.

Come to think of it, every one of my Unfriggenbelievables came from Team Objective... that's a problem.

Truskill. You must be lying. This never happens............

Top Bottom