• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Yeah, the number is meaningless since those missions can range anywhere from Floodgate to The Covenant in length.

That's what I'm hoping. This is 343's first game. For all we know, each mission will have 4 or 5 objectives that are massive in length. I dunno.

Missions like Assault on the Control Room feel Massive. So much ground covered, so many enemies. Sure, portions of that level were literally just massive corridors, but the "beauty" found in those stale, silver walls still keeps me entertained with each revisit. It just feels so alien with such scale.

Cmon, halo 4. Impress me. Amaze me. Make me beg for more.

(also, thank god for those thumbnails with the newest bulletin. I can't wait to forge haha!)

Inspired by this thread, I want to ask HaloGAF a question: How many of you consider a Halo game to be your favorite game of this console generation? Or favorite game ever?

Halo is hands down my favorite game series, but I'm not sure if any of them individually are my favorite game ever. And as far as this gen goes, I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 -- beginning to end, pound for pound -- was more fun than any Halo game. It doesn't have the replayability of Halo, but it was nearly flawless while it lasted.

This could get way off topic really easily, but I'm still curious to hear what people think.

Halo is my Favorite franchise ever. ODST having my personal favourite SP, MP belongs to 2.

Bioshock is my Favorite new IP this gen. The first is the finest game I've played since Halo CE.

The finest generation for me was the N64 one. So many great games.

Also, that is a wonderfully packed and varied achievement list, now do I start on legendary or heroic? Decisions, decisions.

senador

Banned
I probably only got 1/4 of the way into Bioshock. I really need to finish it. I doubt that'll happen anytime soon though. Playing Darksiders 2, and also recently picked up Arkham Asylum and Rayman Origins for $10 each. That'll probably last me til Halo 4. If I ever break away from 4 I need to finish AC Brotherhood, then do AC Revelations and eventually AC3.

For me it'd have to be out of Mass Effect 2, Assassin's Creed 2, and Dead Space 2. Apparently I love sequels.

I doubt any game besides Super Smash Bros has come close to what I have spent on Halo games. I hope the next Xbox tracks time played for each game in a global menu of sorts. Would be interesting to see.

Spiders

Can't wait 2 pose my Spartan.

zQFoC.jpg

Ryaaan14

Banned
Inspired by this thread, I want to ask HaloGAF a question: How many of you consider a Halo game to be your favorite game of this console generation? Or favorite game ever?

Halo is hands down my favorite game series, but I'm not sure if any of them individually are my favorite game ever. And as far as this gen goes, I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 -- beginning to end, pound for pound -- was more fun than any Halo game. It doesn't have the replayability of Halo, but it was nearly flawless while it lasted.

This could get way off topic really easily, but I'm still curious to hear what people think.

Halo is easily my favorite series, but the Mass Effect trilogy is really strong competition. It annoys me that people pick it apart and degrade it, but if the internet and hiveminds weren't a factor, I feel a lot of people would be right there with me. All of the games are amazing in their execution. It is a testament to the quality of the game when you have a hard time deciding which is your favorite of the trilogy, and ME is certainly one of those for me. I know a lot of people think it's cute and popular to shit all over ME3, but it was an absolutely fucking incredible game, and honestly I don't think I've ever been as emotionally effected as I was when I played it (mostly the Genophage decision). And the ending of the game felt fine for me, as I've been crucified on GAF several time because of it. Too many people want a nicely packaged ending tailored to all of their decisions they've made in the game, yet they fail to realize their decisions weren't made to affect the ending as they were to change to game itself.

Blahblahblah. Pretty fitting I love that trilogy as my opinions are pretty unpopular in general. But you asked.

Drunk post? Drunk post.

Halo is easily my favorite series, but the Mass Effect trilogy is really strong competition. It annoys me that people pick it apart and degrade it, but if the internet and hiveminds weren't a factor, I feel a lot of people would be right there with me. All of the games are amazing in their execution. It is a testament to the quality of the game when you have a hard time deciding which is your favorite of the trilogy, and ME is certainly one of those for me. I know a lot of people think it's cute and popular to shit all over ME3, but it was an absolutely fucking incredible game, and honestly I don't think I've ever been as emotionally effected as I was when I played it (mostly the Genophage decision). And the ending of the game felt fine for me, as I've been crucified on GAF several time because of it. Too many people want a nicely packaged ending tailored to all of their decisions they've made in the game, yet they fail to realize their decisions weren't made to affect the ending as they were to change to game itself.

Blahblahblah. Pretty fitting I love that trilogy as my opinions are pretty unpopular in general. But you asked.

Drunk post? Drunk post.
Agreed 100%. Love the Mass Effect series to death. Everybody's salt about the ending of 3 combined with the Extended Cut really just made me go "THAT is what everyone was bitching about? Really?"

Every time I finish a game I always stop and think to myself, start something new or replay some Mass Effect?

Halo was my favorite series, but not anymore. That honor goes to The Elder Scrolls now.

EDIT: Well, I read a kinda-spoiler in that achievement list, I guess. Time to go dark.

monome

Halo 4 achievements :

SUPER SPOILER

NOT KIDDING

Don't quote or answer my post without spoiler tags!!!! this is Halo 4, you don't want to ruin surprises for spoiler weary GAFFers!!!

ONE BIG CAMPAIGN INFO in the first block of text
Second block is mostly for campaign replayability
Third block is mostly MP (including Spartan Ops)

Dawn – Complete Mission 1 on any difficulty (10G)
Requiem – Complete Mission 2 on any difficulty (10G)
Forerunner – Complete Mission 3 on any difficulty (10G)
Infinity – Complete Mission 4 on any difficulty (10G)
Reclaimer – Complete Mission 5 on any difficulty (10G)
Shutdown – Complete Mission 6 on any difficulty (10G)
Composer – Complete Mission 7 on any difficulty (10G)
Midnight – Complete Mission 8 on any difficulty (10G)
Wake up John – Complete the Campaign on Normal or harder (20G)
I Need a Hero – Complete the Campaign on Heroic or harder (40G)
The Legend of 117 – Complete the Campaign on Legendary difficulty (70G)
Lone Wolf Legend – Complete the Campaign solo on Legendary difficulty (90G)

Skullduggery – Complete any Campaign mission with 3 or more Skulls on Heroic or harder (15G)
Bropocalypse – Complete any Campaign mission co-operatively on Heroic or harder (10G)
Bromageddon – Complete the Campaign co-operatively on Heroic or harder (40G)
Contact the Domain – Find a Terminal in the Campaign (10G)
Terminus – Find all of the Terminals in the Campaign (50G)
Digging up the Past – In Mission 1, find and access Chief’s record (20G)
Midnight Launch – In Mission 2, get significant air in the Warthog at midnight (20G)
This is my Rifle, this is my Gun – In Mission 3, carry a UNSC weapon all the way through on Heroic or harder (20G)
Bros to the Close – Make it through Mission 4 without one preventable Marine death on Heroic or harder (20G)
Mortardom – In Mission 5, hijack a Wraith and use it to kill at least four enemy Wraiths on Heroic or harder (20G)
Explore the Floor – In Mission 6, trick or force a Hunter to fall to his demise (20G)
Give Him the Stick – In Mission 7 in solo Campaign, take out both Hunters using only the Sticky Detonator (20G)
Chief, Smash! – In Mission 8, kill 3 Crawlers in one hit with the Gravity Hammer (20G)

Not Some Recruit Anymore – Rank up your Spartan-IV to SR-5 (15G)
Movin’ on Up – Rank up your Spartan-IV to SR-20 (30G)
I ♥ Red vs Blue – Win 5 War Games matchmaking matches (10G)
The Dongblainer – Win 20 War Games matchmaking matches (30G)
Operation Completion – Complete a Spartan Ops Mission on any difficulty (15G)
A Legendary Episode – Complete all chapters in Spartan Ops Episode 1 on Legendary difficulty (40G)
Dedicated to Crimson – Complete all chapters in the first 5 episodes of Spartan Ops on any difficulty (80G)
Crimson Alone – Complete a Spartan Ops chapter solo on Legendary (20G)
Roses vs Violets – Find one of the RvB Easter Eggs in Spartan Ops (20G)
Rescue Ranger – Save at least one Marine in Chapter 3 of Episode 2 of Spartan Ops on Heroic or harder (20G)
Knight in White Assassination – Assassinate a Knight in any Spartan Ops mission (20G)
What Power Outage? – Complete Chapter 4, Episode 5 of Spartan Ops without losing a generator on Heroic or harder (20G)
No Easy Way Out – In Ch 1, Ep 5 of Spartan Ops survive all enemy waves during the defense on Normal or harder (20G)
The Challenged – Complete a Challenge (10G)
The Challenger – Complete 25 Challenges (20G)
Armorer – Change your Spartan’s armor in the Spartan Armor card (5G)
Badge – Change your Emblem in the Spartan ID card (5G)
PWND – Change your Service Tag in the Spartan ID card (5G)
What a Poser! – Change your Spartan’s pose in the Spartan ID card (5G)
The Cartographer – Create and save a Custom Map in Forge (5G)
Game Changer – Create and save a Custom Game type in War Games (5G)
Snapshot! – Save a Screenshot from the Theater (5G)
The Director – Save a Film Clip from the Theater (5G)
Sharing is Caring – Upload a File to your File Share (5G)

IHaveIce

Banned
Only reasonable MP achievements? nice.
campaign achievements don't look too hard, but who knows how difficult 4 is.
Except maybe to guard the marines, the marines are usually total dumbshits

Changing your Pose is a nice little feature.

One mission is called the
Composer
heh? or at least the achievement for it.

And we know that hunters are back and brutes ( gravity hammer in campaign)

SpOps season one is longer than Odst? Holy...

edit: spoiler tagged, even if slightly live, posted everything a few pages before, even with an description link the the tagged stuff.
I think the other things, don't need to be spoiler tagged

monome

One mission is called the Composer heh? or at least the achievement for it.

spoiler your post, dude!!!!

Except maybe to guard the marines, the marines are usually total dumbshits

One mission is called
the Composer
heh? or at least the achievement for it.

Yo. Spoiler tags.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
If the ending line of halo 4 is "
I think we're just getting started
", I may cry.

Only if the game lives up to the challenge that is topping the originals. Something about the score of the last behind the scenes video makes me believe it might.

Oblivion was great.

Skyrim was really boring.

Halo campaigns are always exciting to dive in for the first time.

$75 is a lot for a soundtrack.
You used to be cool.

You used to be really cool.

Agreed.

Very much agreed. Slipping into the lower band I think, not sure the $75 one is worth it for me.

feel

Lone Wolf Legend = YES, thank you

Seems like a pretty harmless set of achievements, they're likely holding back the retarded MP ones for DLC, who cares what people think once the game is out therr amirite.

Dongblainer is this game's halogaf nod, which halogaf better appreciate, despite it actually being something that originates from a 343i developer (just like Dark Planetoid Rising).

edit-

Halflife2 hate last night was embarassing to read.. whatever

Mindwipe

Am I the only one who loved MP achievements? I don't get the hate.

You don't get why people would hate half the players on map x running off to get the shotgun and attempt a killing spree to get the achievements constantly, racking up crazy casualities for the team or ignoring the game type entirely?

MP achievements make matchmaking suck. These are quite sensible - they're "go and try these new features you might like, in a way that shouldn't interfere with gameplay" achievements.

TheOddOne

Regarding MP rank:

What does this mean? Do you "prestige" after 20?

monome

Regarding MP rank:

What does this mean? Do you "prestige" after 20?

quite probably. or they just want to reward average players with achivements points, when the better players will get their kick with the specialization thing.

Ryaaan14

Banned
You don't get why people would hate half the players on map x running off to get the shotgun and attempt a killing spree to get the achievements constantly, racking up crazy casualities for the team or ignoring the game type entirely?

MP achievements make matchmaking suck. These are quite sensible - they're "go and try these new features you might like, in a way that shouldn't interfere with gameplay" achievements.

You only have to get an achievement once. I don't buy the whole "OMG UR GONNA MAKE EVERYONE ON MY TEAM GO FOR MONGOOSE PLATTERS" shit. If you're that bothered by someone playing a certain way to get a single achievement, you should probably quit Halo because there are far more people tainting your MP experience by padding stats.

I've gone as big as I can with this model. I don't know why this didn't occur to me before, but this headpiece wasn't designed around human proportions. This model is pretty much directly ripped from the game (with some minor adjustments). It is also a freak'n hard pep to craft. Onward.

I was really excited for Skyrim... like really. And I bought Dark Souls to hold me over for the month before Skyrim. I sunk 300 hours into it before skyrim. When I got Skyrim I played for 80 hours, went back to Dark Souls for another 120+ and never looked back.

So for me Dark Souls for this console generation followed by Halo. You just don't get a game like Dark Souls very often and the fact that it was done by From makes it all the better. :) Armored Core had my soul for the longest time until it was taken by some demons. ;)

I'm actually really happy that they went really basic with the MP achievements; the ones in the previous games like getting a sticky from beyond the grave on a Capricorn who prefers whole wheat on a Tuesday at 2:43PM EDT in a playlist with exactly 7343 players were getting ridiculous. Glad those aren't making a return, but I guess we'll wait and see until the DLC maps hit.

♥ the HaloGAF reference achievement as well.

Halo was my favourite console shooter of last generation, but not this one. Speaking so far as this gen is concerned I gotta give it to Demon's Souls as it had the most lasting impression on me. It brought on something very unique to this gen in terms of the ghostly apparitions of the players in the same area as you, the messages you can leave persistently across the game world for people to read, and the invading and assisting features. Not to mention the design of it was just damn near flawless. Loved the music and atmosphere of it as well.

This might be just me as well but in terms of games I enjoy I tend to resonate more with games that are single entries or don't have multiple sequels. In regards to Halo, I felt very strongly towards it during the CE and 2 days, but my general excitement and enjoyment have numbed a bit with the passing entries in this gen.

Halo was my favourite console shooter of last generation, but not this one. Speaking so far as this gen is concerned I gotta give it to Demon's Souls as it had the most lasting impression on me. It brought on something very unique to this gen in terms of the ghostly apparitions of the players in the same area as you, the messages you can leave persistently across the game world for people to read, and the invading and assisting features. Not to mention the design of it was just damn near flawless. Loved the music and atmosphere of it as well.

This might be just me as well but in terms of games I enjoy I tend to resonate more with games that are single entries or don't have multiple sequels. In regards to Halo, I felt very strongly towards it during the CE and 2 days, but my general excitement and enjoyment have numbed a bit with the passing entries in this gen.

:) If I was a PS3 player Demon's Souls would have touched me. I touched it, but just couldn't get into it cuz of the PS3. Dark Souls is what really grabbed me.

aj1467

Halo has always been my favourite, not just as a game series but a franchise as a whole. I've enjoyed all the books and comics that have come out so far. I even enjoyed Legends. ODST is my favourite Halo title but favourite game ever? I'm not sure. Don't feel I've been able to play enough games to put one down as my favourite ever.

m23

Fanexpo begins today, so we might see some off-screen gameplay today. I just need to see what build it'll be. I found out yesterday that a bunch of my halo buddies will be at Fanexpo on Saturday as well, this will be good.

Fuchsdh

That's what I'm hoping. This is 343's first game. For all we know, each mission will have 4 or 5 objectives that are massive in length. I dunno.

Missions like Assault on the Control Room feel Massive. So much ground covered, so many enemies. Sure, portions of that level were literally just massive corridors, but the "beauty" found in those stale, silver walls still keeps me entertained with each revisit. It just feels so alien with such scale.

Cmon, halo 4. Impress me. Amaze me. Make me beg for more.

(also, thank god for those thumbnails with the newest bulletin. I can't wait to forge haha!)

Yeah, pretty much this.

I really like the missions with sprawling objectives and locations (like The Ark, or The Covenant) because they don't *feel* like levels; we've got our objective, yes, but circumstances change along the way, the Flood show up, we assault Truth, etc. The fewer loading screens and chunks of cutscenes that break the flow of the mission, narrative, the better.*

*And I say this as someone who likes cutscenes, but there are places where they don't feel necessary in the missions themselves. If there was one thing Half-Life 2 did pretty well it was scripting the cinematics into the story; I think adopting a few of those traits and applying them to Halo would make the game better and strengthen what cinematics you *did* use.

This has to stop. People's mobile site's are going to explode.

You can choose to autohide images and animated GIFs. It's really nice (though I really don't need to worry about data overages anyhow, I've only used 1.4GB in nine months of having my iPhone.)

Top Bottom